The Best Record Ever Played By Soul Sam

Cunnie

Seen the thread about Sams worst ever record so thought it would only be fair to look at the positive side of the great man.

Off you go.....

well it certainly aint 'look what i got' laugh.gif (c/u as Zena Foster if i remember correctly). my fave tune ive heard Sam play is I'll always love you, Spinners.... honestly

Social source share

Guest inspirations001

Seen the thread about Sams worst ever record so thought it would only be fair to look at the positive side of the great man.

Off you go.....

do you mean records he "broke" as newies or just in general?

and please if the latter, don't anyone say frank bleeding wilson! :unsure:

Social source share

Off you go.....

Never been a follower of any particular dj ,i'e dj stalker,so i don't pay particular attention to wether he/she broke what record .

However i do have the utmost respect for Soul Sam and always enjoy hearing his sets wherever he dj's.

Three sounds that i absolutely love ,that he's played are:-

NORRIS VINES-GIVE IN

EARLES INC-EVERYBODY'S GOT SOMEBODY

JIMMY BO HORNE-JUST CAN'T SPEAK

The man has exquisite taste ,only problem is theyre too bloody expensive and hard to get :huh:

Long may he have his health and the strength to carry on doing what he does :unsure:

i can only hope i have as much enthusiasm when i get to his age,infact i hope i bloody reach Sams age :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest inspirations001

Melvin Moore , Motherfox Larom Baker , Larry Dee , C Coulter loads !! Hard to say what the best one is !!?

top shout mother fox, same time as korla.

newie wise would go for mark 1v.

oldies wise, anything but mailny mel britt, joe cook and emanons orch.

Social source share

Guest inspirations001

Is this tunes 'Broke' by Sam, Martin, or just played?

:unsure:

Sean

i asked that earlier on!

sure both larom baker and handwriting were both off arthur fenn.

can someone clarify?

Social source share

Guest inspirations001

Sam got Larom Baker at the same time as Arthur from John Anderson .They both had it coverd as Eddie Horan but Robin S can confirm !!

!!! i actually thought arthur got his on a trip to usa.

mario his mate at the time had a copy too.

you may be right tho, long time ago.

was handwriting arthurs then?

seem to think he got that with charles brandy, elbie parker marvellous ray etc

all c/u's for him at time.

Social source share

!!! i actually thought arthur got his on a trip to usa.

mario his mate at the time had a copy too.

you may be right tho, long time ago.

was handwriting arthurs then?

seem to think he got that with charles brandy, elbie parker marvellous ray etc

all c/u's for him at time.

Im pretty sure it Sam and Arthur who told me ! Not got a clue about the others !! :unsure:

Social source share

Guest inspirations001

Im pretty sure it Sam and Arthur who told me ! Not got a clue about the others !! :unsure:

you may be right, like i said long time ago.

we should do this thread for other dj's!

Social source share

Off you go.....

The 1st time i heard Bobby Treetop "Wait til i get to know ya" at a all-dayer 1972 it was Sam.

Don,t know if Sam was 1st but it was the 1st time i had heard it.

1980 Ramonna Collins "You,re been Cheatin" is one of the best

• Up vote 1
Social source share

The 1st time i heard Bobby Treetop "Wait til i get to know ya" at a all-dayer 1972 it was Sam.

Don,t know if Sam was 1st but it was the 1st time i had heard it.

1980 Ramonna Collins "You,re been Cheatin" is one of the best

FOR ME ..ITS ANN PERRY INST WHICH i THINK WAS COVERED AS BUTCH BAKER..COULD BE WRONG

SHES WANTED ..LARRY C ..WHICH I FIRST HEARD HIM PLAY AT CLEETHORPES ALLDAYER ALSO SAME DAY GWEN OWENS ..WANTED..THEN HE BORROWED LEVINES COPY OF THE TWANS AND BROKE IT TO A WIDER AUDIENCE...

Social source share

FOR ME ..ITS ANN PERRY INST WHICH i THINK WAS COVERED AS BUTCH BAKER..COULD BE WRONG

SHES WANTED ..LARRY C ..WHICH I FIRST HEARD HIM PLAY AT CLEETHORPES ALLDAYER ALSO SAME DAY GWEN OWENS ..WANTED..THEN HE BORROWED LEVINES COPY OF THE TWANS AND BROKE IT TO A WIDER AUDIENCE...

Yes Ann Perry was covered up I had Sam,s old copy at one time (abit of label damage) laugh.gif

Social source share

Sorry cambridge soul, but Richard Searling was playing this 1st covered as "Al Johnson"..............before he sold it to Sam.

Great record tho ...........good call
thumbsup.gif

Cheers Paul

not saying he was first to play it.... the thread is ..the best record ever played by Sam.. :shhh: and it was the first one i thought of.... so no need to be sorry

cheers

David

Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

Off you go.....

Even though I'm a 60s fan and Sam's taste seems to be 70s & 80s nowadays, he still has a fantastic 60s collection. His most fearsome spins for me are Stanley Evans "We Got A Good Thing Going" and the Primers "How Does It Grab You". Both proper Northern.

Cheers.........Pete

Social source share

Is Sam still playing Dynamics 'Only A Man'? is it really the Dynamics on Dyna, has anyone else got it, and when is someone going to let the rest of the world be able to play it at home, it's fantastic IMHO :lol:

i cant remember any particular record sam played, but he never let the people who wanted to dance to a good tune down, i 1st saw him i think at the top rank up hanleyduck about the time wigan started, and im sure he was a big hit at the whitchurch alldayers around 73 74 75??

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

You ought to hear the records he plays early doors at Broughton before most people arrive. Absolutely awesome and will have their day in times to come.

Heard the Clarence Coulter chez moi months before it made 'news headlines', as with many things he ultimately introduced to the scene.

Top man, impeccable taste, and the 'guts' to put his money where his ears are - for the past 40 years!!

Brian :lol:

Social source share

Is Sam still playing Dynamics 'Only A Man'? is it really the Dynamics on Dyna, has anyone else got it, and when is someone going to let the rest of the world be able to play it at home, it's fantastic IMHO :unsure:

I DJ'd at a local doo last night Paul, and followed John Manship, and whilst I was waiting to come on he played a Dynamics record on Dyna, so I guess that's the one.......so John's also got one.

He also played The Answers on Scorpion....which has been a favourite of mine for years.......was great to hear it out, which doesn't happen often as I'm only aware of Soul Sam and John having a copy.

He was playing some rare things!!

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

I DJ'd at a local doo last night Paul, and followed John Manship, and whilst I was waiting to come on he played a Dynamics record on Dyna, so I guess that's the one.......so John's also got one.

He also played The Answers on Scorpion....which has been a favourite of mine for years.......was great to hear it out, which doesn't happen often as I'm only aware of Soul Sam and John having a copy.

He was playing some rare things!!

Cheers,

Mark R

Pretty sure Mick H has this too.

Social source share

Guest spreaderone

Is Sam still playing Dynamics 'Only A Man'? is it really the Dynamics on Dyna, has anyone else got it, and when is someone going to let the rest of the world be able to play it at home, it's fantastic IMHO :lol:

A Mick H discovery he put this tune sams way,the one Manship has now is sams copy,

top draw soul

spread

Social source share

Is Sam still playing Dynamics 'Only A Man'? is it really the Dynamics on Dyna, has anyone else got it, and when is someone going to let the rest of the world be able to play it at home, it's fantastic IMHO :thumbsup:

Do you mean "I'm A Lonely Man" ? - not many of these about

Cheers

Mick Holdsworth

https://northern-soul-records.com

https://motownsound.co.uk

Social source share

So many of those early modern classics have been attributed here and there to various d.j.'s, it was such a great time, with so many wonderous tunes to play, thanks to a sudden realisation that the scene had missed out on a wealth of soul, as it became more beat driven than soul led.

It was exciting just to be an early "bit player" with every week sending us home with new faves to find, not to mention the current releases.

I know the first time i heard the Love Comittee "Just call me name" (aka Will Collins etc..) Sam played it, if he was first i dont know, but i know he was responsible for me hearing that tune , one of those pivotal moments in my soul appreciation history

Thanks Martin

Social source share

just one :P

1st one to pop in my head Bobby Thurston, Just ask me thumbsup.gif

What a cracker, and also "The very last drop" Bobby Thurston.

l'm not too sure if Sam played this track off The "Main Attraction" album, but it deserves a mention and it's one in the box for when l D.J. this year with many other gems l have in mind.

Over the years Sam as been a inspiration to me and l dare say many others who have progressed and grown on the scene with guidance from Sam and other progressive D.J.'s.

Admiration to the Top Man, it's a honour just to watch him behind the decks he's so full of enthusiasm just as much now has he was way back when, and every now and again he slip into his set a absolute belter.

Most recent floor fillers( which l must say at times has shocked me a little due to the apparent die hard oldies only contingents dancing along to what they would normally class as modern krapp(not getting at anyone it's only a generalisation) ) Sam has played especially at the LifeLine venue have been amongst others......Michael Proctor(l swear to god the gezza sounds just like Tom Jones)/ Love don't live, Soul Brothers ft Joi Cardwell/ Deep Soul & UBP ft Bobby Pruitt/ We are one. All these are usually play strictly in the Modern Rooms, but true to the name of the Venue Sam as thrown us a life line and l'm pleased to see some who would normally shun modern actually are enjoying the music and even starting to embrace it.

Sam long may you reign " You did it for me"

Respect always Sandi

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!