The Best Record Ever Played By Soul Sam

Cunnie

Guest POTTERIESPECK

DANNY MONDAY'S - BABY WITHOUT YOU. THINK SAM BROKE IT ANYWAY. I FIRST HEARD HIM PLAY IT AT TIFFS,NEWCASTLE AROUND ABOUT 74-75.

post-5802-1232401385_thumb.jpg

Social source share

the best thing ive ever heard him play was ronnie barnes youve got my heart i think the other side is a belter too but rarely hear that

it was a poorly attended gig at palm court southport early 1990 i think

got there in the back of kev edwards van with barrie may and one or two other reprobates :)

ellipses people recently was a cracker played out at the orwell last couple of years

Social source share

Don't know about best or worst, but a tune I always associate with Soul Sam is Over The Top by Roy Dawson (if I remember correctly it was covered up as something else but i can't remember what). It always reminds me of Sundays at Birmingham Locarno, whenever Sam was on this guy would appear out of the dark and scary Bali Hai room and start doing his thing, usually to just one or two records but it always included Over the Top. Loved the tune then love it now.

Social source share

Don't know about best or worst, but a tune I always associate with Soul Sam is Over The Top by Roy Dawson (if I remember correctly it was covered up as something else but i can't remember what). It always reminds me of Sundays at Birmingham Locarno, whenever Sam was on this guy would appear out of the dark and scary Bali Hai room and start doing his thing, usually to just one or two records but it always included Over the Top. Loved the tune then love it now.

James Mack and the Chicago Gangsters !

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 10 years later...
2 hours ago, Ted Massey said:

He bought that from me for the Lucky Man side i didn't know what i had a at the time lol

....and that was after he ran up (yes literally) on to the stage to ask me what it was when i played it at one of lynn Taylors do's  in the Midlands...

• Up vote 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, Ted Massey said:

He bought that from me for the Lucky Man side i didn't know what i had a at the time lol

9 minutes ago, DtheD said:

....and that was after he ran up (yes literally) on to the stage to ask me what it was when i played it at one of lynn Taylors do's  in the Midlands...

As usual, who is perceived to have played it first and who actually played it first of often differ.

I seem to remember the Second Re$surection, mentioned earlier, being a Mecca play, probably Colin.

Edited by Kegsy
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

3 minutes ago, chalky said:

I don’t think Margaret Little was Sam first, Mark Speakman if memory serves. 

Dynamics was a Gavin Page spin back in the early 90s, long before any mentioned here. 

nah Chalky fairly sure sam had it before mark

anyway the topics not about his 'first plays' - its about his 'plays'👍

• Up vote 1
Social source share

38 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

As usual, who is perceived to have played it first and who actually played it first of often differ.

I seem to remember the Second Re$surection, mentioned earlier, being a Mecca play, probably Colin.

YouTube is full of tributes to the Mecca playlists...if it was broken there, it will probably be listed. Personally I can't remember this being played in the 70s, but maybe it was a one play wonder

Edited by tomangoes
Spello
Social source share

15 minutes ago, tomangoes said:

YouTube is full of tributes to the Mecca playlists...if it was broken there, it will probably be listed. Personally I can remember this being played in the 70s, but maybe it was a one play wonder

When the all nighter crowd left the Mecca to set off to wherever, and the crowd thinned out later on, there were dozens of new/recent 70's releases played in the last couple of hours. Due to the "Carstairs" split in the scene, many never really reached the nighter scene, and gained more exposure, until much later. Stevens & Foster, Innersection, Bettye Swann Kiss My Love, Sam Dees Fragile...... to name just a few. Quite often the records were played for a couple of weeks only then replaced with other new releases.

Edited by Kegsy
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

Just now, chalky said:

Yep yer right just found an old topic...

yeah i can remember sam playing it at the carlton llandudno sunday night the weekend he first got it

Just now, chalky said:

If weare talking what Sam has played then the list will be endless 😜🙂

yep my fault, should have said about  'best plays' :thumbsup:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

57 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

When the all nighter crowd left the Mecca to set off to wherever, and the crowd thinned out later on, there were dozens of new/recent 70's releases played in the last couple of hours. Due to the "Carstairs" split in the scene, many never really reached the nighter scene, and gained more exposure, until much later. Stevens & Foster, Innersection, Bettye Swann Kiss My Love, Sam Dees Fragile...... to name just a few. Quite often the records were played for a couple of weeks only then replaced with other new releases.

Yes, I heard that was the case with records sometimes only getting one spin. Only went a few times myself.... Felt out of my comfort zone surrounded by mohair jumpers and drainpipe keks with bondage straps.....:)

Loved most of the playlists though.

Ed

Social source share

First time I heard "Say It Isn't So" by Betty Boo  around 1978. It was a new sound to the Northern Scene and it was Soul Sam who played it that night! Maybe not the first to have it, I don't know, but it was great to hear!

A Northern Soul classic. Both the record and the man who played it!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

This sought after track from Sam, album or 45,it matters not when they're this good. Also briefly a killer version of 'a new day begins' by the changing times which has to be heard to be believed!. Strangely going back to Mr Manship after very limited exposure. Mmm. 

• Thanks 1
Social source share

On 18/01/2009 at 21:05, phild said:

Don Gardner - Cheating Kind.

Can there be any record to even approach this from Sam's lengthy playlists over the years?

Did JM first play this at the Manchester Ritz and it cleared the floor. He then promptly sold it to Ian Levine for £3. I think the copy then found it’s way to Sam who made it big (Also the Vicar had a copy)

Think I’m correct, sure I’ll be told if I’m not 👍

Social source share

3 hours ago, Hooker1951 said:

Don’t want to sound disrespectful but he,s also played thousands off records that were absolutely rubbish , never ever heard him play a full hour of good tunes yet, Rose tinted glasses spring to mind, Anyway each to their own. No offence meant just the truth

ML

Name 5 absolutely rubbish records he played first...

Name 1 record you've broke.

No disrespect? 

Ed

Social source share

Hi Tomangoes It’s not for me to say what records I’ve broke it’s for other people to remember I wouldn’t be so vain as to say I was the first to play a tune but I do know this that I’ve played many a tune what well done Dj, s have come to ask me what it was , what label it was on , how much was it? And they hadn’t heard it before that’s enough for me. Come to think of it I broke six records one night when I dropped my box, 

ML

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Guest Spain pete
14 hours ago, Hooker1951 said:

Don’t want to sound disrespectful but he,s also played thousands off records that were absolutely rubbish , never ever heard him play a full hour of good tunes yet, Rose tinted glasses spring to mind, Anyway each to their own. No offence meant just the truth

ML

Don't matter what he plays that's up to him one man's meat and all that but what he's all about is he's devotion and passion for soul music in all its guises and that's enough for me🎶 

Social source share

6 minutes ago, Spain pete said:

Don't matter what he plays that's up to him one man's meat and all that but what he's all about is he's devotion and passion for soul music in all its guises and that's enough for me🎶 

It should matter what he plays, he,s supposed to be entertaining and kicking a vibe in for the crowd  not playing maybe one tune in a full set for some  anorak that’s what’s up with this scene it does matter, And the scene will continue to decline unless most people demand it matters,

ML

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Hooker1951 said:

Hi Tomangoes

i don’t remember rubbish records but I will say this if the question had been Sam,s worst records you would have needed a set of Encyclopedias to list them all .I know from experience over the years I’ve had to follow him on after his spot on numerous occasions to a dance floor where the only thing missing was a bit of tumbleweed blowing across it . I’m just doing a little bit of Arron Neville I’m telling it like is , To much Emperor,s new Clothes on this site instead of honesty if you like Soul Sam,s music good luck to you . I Don’t . That’s what as ruined this scene lack of truth I didn’t ask the question just gave an honest answer to it. There are a little too many false idols on this scene It’s the Music what’s the boss.

Again no Offence meant just the truth .

ML

Don't hold back!

But the devil is in the detail.

There is no detail. 

I doubt Martin has even broke 0000's of records in any case, good or bad.

First time I've heard one DJ slag another one off, but maybe you are the first to break a silence!

Ed 

Social source share

Guest Spain pete
24 minutes ago, Hooker1951 said:

It should matter what he plays, he,s supposed to be entertaining and kicking a vibe in for the crowd  not playing maybe one tune in a full set for some  anorak that’s what’s up with this scene it does matter, And the scene will continue to decline unless most people demand it matters,

ML

but that's your opinion  simples! don't go near the geezer and go to a oldies night only

Social source share

There are thousands of details thousands of punters who know the truth who have heard and seen what happened at various venues over the years they are the forgotten majority , 

Im not slagging Sam of at all he might be a fine human being I don’t know him that well but I do know that I am not fond of his spots and some of the music he plays and this is a soul forum isn’t it? Everybody,s got their own unique opinion and that’s mine and I will stick by it . It’s nothing personal we will have to agree to disagree, if I had to go into detail now that would be something else. 

ML

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Spain pete
17 minutes ago, Hooker1951 said:

I will go where I want when I want and there is nobody on this scene capable of stopping me

ML

so accept him for what he is  like people accept you they can't all be fans of yours 

Social source share

22 minutes ago, Hooker1951 said:

I will go where I want when I want and there is nobody on this scene capable of stopping me

ML

3 minutes ago, Spain pete said:

so accept him for what he is  like people accept you they can't all be fans of yours 

think fair to say that most things have been said on this bit of the discussion 

can we take things now back to the original thrust - best soul sam play

thanks

Social source share

31 minutes ago, Spain pete said:

but that's your opinion  simples! don't go near the geezer and go to a oldies night only

ALL of this is OPINION - YOUR'S TOO. Sam used to play Coffee 'Casanova' when it was in the charts - he told me himself and if that ain't a crap record I don't know what is... The music policy upstairs at Blackburn was as upfront and modern as it is possible to get thanks to Mick, so the snotty oldies comments are well out of order.  I heard A LOT of wonderful god garage and soulful house there well before it was gaining mainstream acceptance on the scene.

Dx

PS Tomangoes - Hooker1951 is probably the only guy on the scene who can say that truthfully.

Edited by DaveNPete
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, mike said:

think fair to say that most things have been said on this bit of the discussion 

can we take things now back to the original thrust - best soul sam play

thanks

temp closed

will reopen later

now reopened

again ask lets get back to the original thrust

Social source share

First time I heard Lover by De-lites was when Sam spun it at Notts Palis in the 70’s, though not sure if he had first play.

Seem to think he had first play of Toni Basil, Breakaway, covered as Lada Edmund, break these chains.

Think both are great tracks

But as always, I could be wrong.

Edited by theothertosspot
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!