Empress Ballrooms Mexborough Important Information

soulcrew

Empress Ballrooms Mexborough 2009

It is with great regret that after 3 fantastic years at the Empress Ballroom's we will no longer be able to hold Soul Nights anymore at the Empress. This is entirely down to the owner of the building, who has informed us the Empress is no longer available to us for Soul Nights.

We would like to thank everyone who has attended our Soul Nights over the last 3 years and supported us making the Empress into a fantastic venue. Also we would like to thank all the DJ's that have played with passion to entertain us all, and we think we have brought some of the finest Soul Spinners in the country, playing some of the ground breaking sounds around the soul scene today. We also feel we have given oppertunities to up and coming DJ's young and old, girls and boys.

A big thanks to Mark and Geordie for their contribution in enhancing and expanding the Empress Ballroom's with The Chillout Room, which was a great success.

Could we also thank Mick Jordan and the Sound crew for what we believe was a first class sound system, and the hard work they all did for us. Last but not least, we would like to thank the girls and the boys behind the bar for all their hard work rehydrating us geriatric soul dancers on mass.

As you will be aware, we have sold both season tickets and tickets for the 12th April 2009 at the Empress, at our free Christmas event. Anybody who purchased these tickets can either have a full refund or can use all the tickets for the Metrodome events which will follow.I.E Season tickets contain 6 tickets which can all be used for any metrodome soul event.

We are really sorry for all the inconvenience it has caused, and it has come as a great shock to all six of us who have run The Empress over the last 3 years. with passion, committment and dedication to what we feel was one of the most friendliest soul events around.

Now the good news!!!

As you will probably be aware we are running 2 events at The Metrodome in Barnsley, where Joy had her fantastic 50th Birthday Party.On Saturday 21st February 2009 and 24th October 2009. Richard from the Metrodome has kindly offered us 2 more dates on bank holiday sunday 3rd May and 30th August 2009, which we have kindley accepted.He has also promised that if the events are successful we could have Bank holiday Sunday's for 2010. We hope all our Soul Family from the Empress Ballrooms will join us at the Metrodome.

PLEASE WATCH THIS SPACE FOR FURTHER UPDATE RE CHILLOUT ROOM.

If you have any queiries please feel free to contact us on Joy 07939 575692 and Yocky 07956 666962.

Just to finish could we once again Thank you all from the bottom of our hearts for all the kindness, and support committed to us by you all over the last 3 years.

Yocky, Joy, Nel,Jean, Woody,Linda

Edited by soulcrew
  • Replies 60
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

It is with great regret that after 3 fantastic years at the Empress Ballroom's we will no longer be able to hold Soul Nights anymore at the Empress. This is entirely down to the owner of the building, who has informed us the Empress no longer is available to us for Soul Nights.

We would like to thank everyone who has attended our Soul Nights over the last 3 years and supported us making the Empress into a fantastic venue. Also we would like to thank all th DJ's that have played with passion to entertain us all, and we think we have brought some of the finest Soul Spinners in the country, playing some of the ground breaking sounds around the soul scene today. We also feel we have given oppertunities to up and coming DJ's young and old, girls and boys.

A big thanks to Mark and Geordie for their contribution in enhanceing and expanding the Empress Ballroom's with The Chillout Room, which was a great success.

Could we also thank Mick Jorden and the Sound crew for what we believe was a first class sound system, and the hard work they all did for us. Last but not least, we would like to thank the girls and the boys behind the bar for all their hard work rehydrating us geriatric soul dancers on mass.

As you will be aware, we have sold both season tickets and tickets for the 12th April 2009 at the Empress, at our free Christmas event. Anybody who purchased these tickets can either have a full refund or can use all the tickets for the Metrodome events which will follow.I.E Season tickets contain 6 tickets which can all be used for any metrodome soul event.

We are really sorry for all the inconvenience it has caused, and it has come as a great shock to all six of us who have run The Empress over the last 3 years. with passion, committment and dedication to what we feel was one of the most friendliest soul events around.

Now the good news!!!

As you will probably be aware we are running 2 events at The Metrodome in Barnsley, where Joy had her fantastic 50th Birthday Party.On Saturday 21st February 2009 and 24th October 2009. Richard from the Metrodome has kindley offered us 2 more dates on bank holiday sunday 3rd May and 30th August 2009, which we have kindley accepted.He has also promised that if the events are successful we could have Bank holiday Sunday's for 2010. We hope all our Soul Family from the Empress Ballrooms will join us at the Metrodome.

If you have any queiries please feel free to contact us on Joy 07939 575692 and Yocky 07956 666962.

Just to finish could we once again Thank you all from the bottom of our hearts for all the kindness, and support committed to us by you all over the last 3 years.

I can't understand how anybody with a modicum of business sense can do an 'about-turn' and end what (from every aspect as far as I can see) is a very well organised and sucessfull series of events.

For Gods sake the place attracts circa 300 (well beheaved, beer swilling soulies) to each nite, I can't see how the owner can't be making 'loadsa money'....It just beggars belief.

On the plus side...hope the Metrodome will prove at least as successfull and that people will attend in equal numbers if not more.

All The Best,

Paul

I can't understand how anybody with a modicum of business sense can do an 'about-turn' and end what (from every aspect as far as I can see) is a very well organised and sucessfull series of events.

For Gods sake the place attracts circa 300 (well beheaved, beer swilling soulies) to each nite, I can't see how the owner can't be making 'loadsa money'....It just beggars belief.

On the plus side...hope the Metrodome will prove at least as successfull and that people will attend in equal numbers if not more.

All The Best,

Paul

Hi Paul

Many thanks for your kind words, we always try to look forward and not back, and we have met and made some of the nicest friends through the Empress. One of the advantages of going to the Metrodome is we can have an extra hour (7 while 2) and we are not limited to numbers, and we can cater for upto 1200 if necessary. So no one miss's out as we had to limit it to 300 at the Empress. Hope you can come and stand with your records at the Metrodome. See you soon, all the best. Yocky

Hi Guys and Girls

Just got Chris Dalton and Lizzie arrived after hearing the news. We all felt it important to let you know that we are gutted as much as every one else no doubt will be.

The thing about the Empress was not just the music, but the people and hope that everyone will get their dancing shoes on to the Metrodome and continue to support a great bunch of people doing a fab job trying to keep the Soul scene "Alive and Kickin"

Best Wishes

Chris Dalton, Lizzie King and Jonathan Gill

aup yoki,joy,sorry to hear about the empress,i heard from ian and clare last night at bentinck,is this another place that want to take over themself,s,it cant be about how much us took over the bar,the venue is always packed,anyway yoki your that much thought about on the soul scene and respected where ever you move to the soulies will go with you,your both genuine thats what counts mate.ktf carl p :unsure:

It is with great regret that after 3 fantastic years at the Empress Ballroom's we will no longer be able to hold Soul Nights anymore at the Empress. This is entirely down to the owner of the building, who has informed us the Empress is no longer available to us for Soul Nights.

We would like to thank everyone who has attended our Soul Nights over the last 3 years and supported us making the Empress into a fantastic venue. Also we would like to thank all the DJ's that have played with passion to entertain us all, and we think we have brought some of the finest Soul Spinners in the country, playing some of the ground breaking sounds around the soul scene today. We also feel we have given oppertunities to up and coming DJ's young and old, girls and boys.

A big thanks to Mark and Geordie for their contribution in enhancing and expanding the Empress Ballroom's with The Chillout Room, which was a great success.

Could we also thank Mick Jordan and the Sound crew for what we believe was a first class sound system, and the hard work they all did for us. Last but not least, we would like to thank the girls and the boys behind the bar for all their hard work rehydrating us geriatric soul dancers on mass.

Now the good news!!!

As you will probably be aware we are running 2 events at The Metrodome in Barnsley, where Joy had her fantastic 50th Birthday Party.On Saturday 21st February 2009 and 24th October 2009. Richard from the Metrodome has kindly offered us 2 more dates on bank holiday sunday 3rd May and 30th August 2009, which we have kindley accepted.He has also promised that if the events are successful we could have Bank holiday Sunday's for 2010. We hope all our Soul Family from the Empress Ballrooms will join us at the Metrodome.

:ohmy::huh:WELL WHAT A SHOCK IT WAS LAST NIGHT TO BE TOLD BY YOCKY & NEL THAT THE EMPRESS WAS TO BE NO MORE. HAVE TO ADMIT I HONESTLY THOUGHT THEY WERE HAVING A JOKE BUT ALAS THEY WEREN'T. HAVE TO AGREE WITH PAUL'S COMMENTS RE THE OWNER AND CAN'T UNDERSTAND IN TODAY'S ECONOMIC CLIMATE HOW ON EARTH HE CAN TURN AWAY GUARANTEED BUSINESS!! wanker.gif

OVER THE LAST 3 YEARS WE HAVE ENJOYED OUR VISITS TO THE EMPRESS AND WE WISH YOU ALL GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR NEW VENTURE AT THE METRODOME, BARNSLEY WHICH WE'RE SURE WILL BE A GREAT SUCCESS. :unsure:

AV & PETE

HI JOY AN YOCKY GOT TO AGREE WITH PAUL, WHAT IS HE THINKING ABOUT ?? YOU SIX HAVE MADE THE EMPRESS WHAT IT IS, NOT THE OWNER. SO SORRY THIS HAS HAPPENED, HIS LOSS, SO LETS MAKE THE METRODOME BIGGER AND BETTER IF ANY BODY CAN DO IT YOU CAN !!!

:unsure: GOOD LUCK ,ALL THE BEST CATH&TOM

your spot on yocky its about the future an if the metrodome is half as good as joy,s birthday do it will be a winner.

had some great times at empress but its the owners loss. it was always packed and some were disappointed because they couldnt get tickets .. no problem with metrodome ,so onwards and upwards it can only get better

ktf B

aup yoki,joy,sorry to hear about the empress,i heard from ian and clare last night at bentinck,is this another place that want to take over themself,s,it cant be about how much us took over the bar,the venue is always packed,anyway yoki your that much thought about on the soul scene and respected where ever you move to the soulies will go with you,your both genuine thats what counts mate.ktf carl p smile.gif

Hi Carl hope you and Val and Kids are ok to say Yocky is gutted as well as Dave and Nell is a understatement you know yocky as well as anyone and i have never seen him as down as this week normaly he see's the funny side of everything but this week as been terrible.All the Empress crew have tried to do is put on a friendly fun venue on a bank holiday sunday and it as taken a mountain of hard work to achieve and this as been wiped out with one text message to steves phone on monday afternoon telling us we were not welcome anymore after 3 Brilliant years of pure fun and enjoyment at the Empress but life goes on and we will pick up the pieces and try and rebuild at the Metrodome this year.One advantage is Carl we can accomadate the Dancers better like you Tim and Troy to throw yourselfs about on the dance floor and i hope you will come and support us when you can and many thanks for your message, carl you know Yocky thinks the world of you lot down there and also remembers you gave him a chance at your venue where he loves to play anyway many thanks Carl and see you soon Joy xxx

NO NO NO NO NO....GUYS I AM ABSOLUTLY GUTTED,

firstly.... after all the hard work that was put in to this venue by the promoters this is a total slap in the face

the owner clearly has no business accumen whats so ever...packed venue every time and he decides to throw ££££S away..

If theres another motive for this i.e anyone else or the promoter doing their own soul nite there it should be well and truely boycotted .....maybe a bit of paranoia kicking in there from me but hey its happened before

and secondly....it had become my haven and pleasure zone..... to be able to push soul music i never got the chance to play at any other venue, and hear others do the same in the chill out area was just fantastic so instead of the promoters thanking myself and mark, i must wholeheartedly thank them for that opportunity and believing in what we were about.

Im stunned, gutted and very very sad.

Geooooooordie

Edited by geordiejohnson

Kinnell Yocky/Joy!!!! This is a shock, doubt anyone saw that coming, the place and it's promoters really were/are a breath of fresh air, glad I managed to get there a couple of times, and play there once,definitely one of the highlights of 08 so thanks for that,

Anyway I'm sure this 'cloud' will have a silver lining with your new venue,

Onwards and upwards guys thumbup.gif

Pete E

Fookin beggars belief why they would want shut of a very good money spinner for the place..... stupid t##ts . g.gif

pick yourselves up and concentrate ont Metrodome you lot good luck

Rob

I can always remember people quoting where they were when Kennedy was assasinated and were people were when Elvis Died and i wondered how they felt well now i know i have just read about the Empress closing and i am numb i cant beleive after three brilliant years it as come to a end i have had some of the best times of my northern soul life in the empress and i cant imagine not going on a bank holiday sunday but can i just say to yocky and joy and the rest of the empress crew thank you for giving me my chance to play in the big room it will be something i will remember the rest of my life and i have never felt a buzz like it and i am really sorry all your hard work as come to a end but dont worry joy everybody on the soul scene loves you all at the empress and im sure will be with you at the Metrodome i will for one and i am sure you will make the Metrodome as big if not bigger than the Empress and if there is anything i can do just let me know K.T.F Kev.

Guest BigPaul

Not a venue i attended. Apparently a full house guarrented everytime Yocky is a top fella :D:P

There loss, fellas walked away with dignity :lol:

Fook em mate and move on :lol:

Guest rushden

G'DAY ,Yocky, Joy, Nel,Jean, Woody& Linda , Having had the pleasure of experiencing the 'EMPRESS' one of the best soul nights i have been too in 33 yrs of loving this fabulous music & its characters .

You have worked out the magically formula that made '' EMPRESS'' such a SUCCESS . So ONWARDS AND UPWARDS and go and do it again with the PASSION you all have & and all your freinds will be there surporting you . Txs again for the privilige of doing a spot something i will always treasure best Johnny Warren

i know a lot of venues are closing or taking a break due to poor attendance but

when an icon such as this closes which was so full of soul, fun, people and, i'm sure so many memories it means we all have to watch our backs.

only managed to get to a couple but i'll not forget them.

a tattered shred of siver lining is that it stopped at the top of it's game and will always be remembered as the successful venue it was where, in the past some venues hung on and on and became shadows of themselves before giving up the ghost, not the empress, that will remain fresh in our hearts and memories.

the main thing that made it as so good as it was 1) the promoters, top people one and all and 2) the paying public, and as long as the paying public support those promoters at the new venue not all will be lost.

good luck with that you t'northerners, you deserve it.

micheal

Now the good news!!!

So sorry that the Empress has eneded , was such a great venue run by fantastic people and friends , however its about the music and people so where ever the venue goes it will be a success, bring on the future, onwards and upwards , the effort and hard work that went into making the venue a success will carry on and we will all help in anyway we can, so bring it on.

Thanks again u lot , you all great friends

NO NO NO NO NO....GUYS I AM ABSOLUTLY GUTTED,

firstly.... after all the hard work that was put in to this venue by the promoters this is a total slap in the face

the owner clearly has no business accumen whats so ever...packed venue every time and he decides to throw ££££S away..

If theres another motive for this i.e anyone else or the promoter doing their own soul nite there it should be well and truely boycotted .....maybe a bit of paranoia kicking in there from me but hey its happened before

and secondly....it had become my haven and pleasure zone..... to be able to push soul music i never got the chance to play at any other venue, and hear others do the same in the chill out area was just fantastic so instead of the promoters thanking myself and mark, i must wholeheartedly thank them for

that opportunity and believing in what we were about.

Im stunned, gutted and very very sad.

Geooooooordie

Hi Geordie

Thank you for your heart felt words. Things are starting to come together again. We have pulled ourselves together and are moving forward. We will be updating as and when but all the following dates are confirmed now and we are all up for it.

Will be in touch soon

Yocky and Jx

Now the good news!!!

SORRY TO HEAR THIS BAD NEWS BUT YET AGAIN A GREAT SOUL VENUE AS BEEN HIT BY MANAGEMENT BUT YOU WILL GET THROUGH BECAUSE YOU ARE LOVED BY ALL SOULERS THROUGHOUT THIS COUNTRY AND LOVED BY US AT DRIVING BEAT ALL THE BEST FOR FUTURE EVENTS K.T.F. TREV (SEE YOU AT SKEG END OF THE MONTH) LOVE TO JOY HOPE YOU ARE GETTING BETTER NOWXXXX

Hi Guys and Girls

Just got Chris Dalton and Lizzie arrived after hearing the news. We all felt it important to let you know that we are gutted as much as every one else no doubt will be.

The thing about the Empress was not just the music, but the people and hope that everyone will get their dancing shoes on to the Metrodome and continue to support a great bunch of people doing a fab job trying to keep the Soul scene "Alive and Kickin"

Best Wishes

Chris Dalton, Lizzie King and Jonathan Gill

Hi Lizzie Jonathan and Chris

Thank you for your wonderful comments they mean so much to us right now, we are putting things into place right now and are looking forward to Chris being with us on the 3rd May 2009 at the Metrodome. Thanks for helping us out at such short notice Chris, very grateful indeed.

Looking forward to seeing you all at the metrodome and thank you for all your support.

Yocky and Jx

Ps Everyone El Nel has broadband prob's at the moment but will be with us hopefully on Monday.

Edited by soulcrew

:lol::thumbup:WELL WHAT A SHOCK IT WAS LAST NIGHT TO BE TOLD BY YOCKY & NEL THAT THE EMPRESS WAS TO BE NO MORE. HAVE TO ADMIT I HONESTLY THOUGHT THEY WERE HAVING A JOKE BUT ALAS THEY WEREN'T. HAVE TO AGREE WITH PAUL'S COMMENTS RE THE OWNER AND CAN'T UNDERSTAND IN TODAY'S ECONOMIC CLIMATE HOW ON EARTH HE CAN TURN AWAY GUARANTEED BUSINESS!! wanker.gif

OVER THE LAST 3 YEARS WE HAVE ENJOYED OUR VISITS TO THE EMPRESS AND WE WISH YOU ALL GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR NEW VENTURE AT THE METRODOME, BARNSLEY WHICH WE'RE SURE WILL BE A GREAT SUCCESS. :thumbsup:

AV & PETE

Hi Pete and Av

Once again thank you for your kind words and all your spport. Wished we were joking and I know we are always having a laugh but sadly this time it is true. Great to see you at Royston and Robin Hood, you can't buy the friendship on the Soul scene we are all millionairs in that department.

Looking forward to seeing you at the Metrodome. Av watch this space re the Chillout.

Yocky and J x

HI JOY AN YOCKY GOT TO AGREE WITH PAUL, WHAT IS HE THINKING ABOUT ?? YOU SIX HAVE MADE THE EMPRESS WHAT IT IS, NOT THE OWNER. SO SORRY THIS HAS HAPPENED, HIS LOSS, SO LETS MAKE THE METRODOME BIGGER AND BETTER IF ANY BODY CAN DO IT YOU CAN !!!

:thumbsup: GOOD LUCK ,ALL THE BEST CATH&TOM

Thanks for your kind words and support Tom and Cath, Things are coming together more as I write. Looking forward to Tom being on our first venue at the Metrodome. True friends are you two.

Yocky and Jx

I can always remember people quoting where they were when Kennedy was assasinated and were people were when Elvis Died and i wondered how they felt well now i know i have just read about the Empress closing and i am numb i cant beleive after three brilliant years it as come to a end i have had some of the best times of my northern soul life in the empress and i cant imagine not going on a bank holiday sunday but can i just say to yocky and joy and the rest of the empress crew thank you for giving me my chance to play in the big room it will be something i will remember the rest of my life and i have never felt a buzz like it and i am really sorry all your hard work as come to a end but dont worry joy everybody on the soul scene loves you all at the empress and im sure will be with you at the Metrodome i will for one and i am sure you will make the Metrodome as big if not bigger than the Empress and if there is anything i can do just let me know K.T.F Kev.

It was a honour to have you play at the Empress Kev, as we have said we try to accomadate everyone and you like all other dj's always deliver at the Empress. Such lovely times, they may have taken our venue but they cannot take our memories. Look forward to seeing the Askern Assasins at the Metrodome

Thank you for all your kind words and support. Hope to see you at the Metrodome.

Yocky and J x

your spot on yocky its about the future an if the metrodome is half as good as joy,s birthday do it will be a winner.

had some great times at empress but its the owners loss. it was always packed and some were disappointed because they couldnt get tickets .. no problem with metrodome ,so onwards and upwards it can only get better

ktf B

Hi Barney and Ang

I am sure we can have a great time at the Metrodome, we have had a meeting with them this morning and everything is coming together nicely. Hope Bernie and Shaz can make a few nights with us. Thank you both for all you support and kindness you little treasures.

See you at therapy thursday ( buy god I will need this week!!!!)

Yocky and Jx

BAD NEWS INDEED, THINK ME AND PAT ONLY MISSED ABOUT 3 EVENTS.

ALWAYS BEEN A GOOD NIGHT. WILL BE FOLLOWING YOU TO YOUR NEW VENUE.

AT THE XMAS BASH NOTICED THE MANAGEMENT SEEMED TO BE NOT BOTHERED ABOUT EVENT,CURTAINS LEFT OPEN,NO TOILET ROLL,HAND DRYERS U/S,BEER GLASSES IN SHORT SUPPLY ETC...MAYBE THE WRITING WAS ON THE WALL,ANYWAY SOD 'EM.JUST KEEP DOING WHAT YOU DO.A WINNING COMBINATION...

WESTY & PAT

RITCHIE VALENS 17, BUDDY HOLLY AND THE BIG BOPPER died 1959

EDDIE COCHRAN - 21, died1960

DUNCAN EDWARDS - 21, died1958

SID VICIOUS - 21, died 1979

KURT COBAIN - 27, died 1994

THE EMPRESS BALLROOMS MEXBOROUGH died Jan 2009 (AGED 3)

All these legends were taken from us before they could reach there full potential, but will never be forgotten.

Me thinks maybe someone had a better offer, well who ever it is I hope they behave as well as us and buy as much ale as us, I doubt it!!!

The Empress is dead long live the Metrodome

Bloody ell just realized that last statement sounds like we are going from a monarchy to a socialist state, LOL. Some folk from the Socialist Republic of South Yorkshire might like that (maybe).

Now back to business, I will see the Soul Crew on the 21st, now who has got a water proof bed I can crash on as I really fancy this one. KTF

Hi Trev, Karen , Rob , Coops, Big Kev, Boogaloo Dave, Mickey2 Dinners, Wicksey, Johnny Redpants and Paul

Thanks for all your lovely comments, really has been overwelming and up lifting after a real downer of a text message from the owner.

We are digging in now and things are coming together. Hope we can see you all at the Metrodome it would be the icing on the cake for us. Love you all to bits.

Take care all of you on your soul travels.

Yocky and Jx

Edited by soulcrew
Guest BrandySistaShirl

Now the good news!!!

HI YOCKY N JOY

BAD NEWS YEAH!

BY TEXT DISGUSTIN.

THEY CAN TEK THIER BUILDING N SHUV IT WHERE SUN DUNT SHINE.

BUT U CAN TAKE YOUR HEARTS SOULS N FRIENDS ANYWHERE.

ODDS ON METRODOME WILL B MASSIVE :lol::D

WE TOO HAD THE PLEASURE OF PLAYIN AT EMPRESS.

HAD SOME FANTASTIC NITES THERE.

BUT WE KNOW IT WILL BE JUST AS GOOD AT METRODOME (NO BETTA) :huh:

SO CHINS UP N ITS THIER LOSS.

SEE YOU THURSDAY AT THERAPY :P X

Hi Trev, Karen , Rob , Coops, Big Kev, Boogaloo Dave, Mickey2 Dinners, Wicksey, Johnny Redpants and Paul

Thanks for all your lovely comments, really has been overwelming and up lifting after a real downer of a text message from the owner.

We are digging in now and things are coming together. Hope we can see you all at the Metrodome it would be the icing on the cake for us. Love you all to bits.

Take care all of you on your soul travels.

Yocky and Jx

More to this than meets the eye ..... you wait and see you guys and we know who poss :lol: well if thats the case the venue owner miscalulated big style the wanker.gif er

Guest BrandySistaShirl

More to this than meets the eye ..... you wait and see you guys and we know who poss :lol: well if thats the case the venue owner miscalulated big style the wanker.gif er

I AGREE ROB.

ITS BIN MENTIONED IN PAST. :D

IF ITS TRUE I HOPE SOULIES WILL SHOW WHAT WERE MADE OF N BACK JOY YOCKY N TEAM.

Makes you wonder if some of the owners of venues are actually screwed together properly. What else could get so many people in all spending their hard earned dosh on bank holiday Sundays? Obviously no credit crunch for the owners of the Empress!!

Only went a couple of times mainly missed it due to not getting my arse in gear to get tickets, nevermind I'm sure the Metrodome will be as good if not better.

Brian

Guest Mezhouse

I can't believe it! The stupid bigheadedness of venue owners! Do they honestly believe they can do it better? I'd like to see them try!

I shall be with you all the way at the Metrodome no fears of that. In fact, I thought I was going to miss the one on 21st as was supposed to be at the 100 Club but a change of plans. With hindsight I'm glad because I want to be there to support you all.

Joy and Yocky, good luck for the future and the success of the Metrodome is pretty much guaranteed with the Soul Crew running it!

See you on 21st if not before!

Jo xx

Guest BrandySistaShirl

Now the good news!!!

sat hear pondering n i carnt believe what the new managment team

at empress have done!

yourself joy n rest of the team have put so much into this venue over the last 3years.

i no you and joy are out of work and can remember in november you spent around 500quid on flyers etc

because you were told soul nites were to continue.if me n ade can help in any way just say n its done.

dunt no what they hev in mind at empress but i hope all our soul brothers n sisters n familys who r not

connected to the northern soul world will take note of what these so called people hev done n give the

place a wide birth.maybe one day they will find themselves out of work like you n joy .

once again yocky if theres owt we can do just ask.

love n support to two of the nicest people you could wish to be friends with.x

I can't believe it! The stupid bigheadedness of venue owners! Do they honestly believe they can do it better? I'd like to see them try!

I shall be with you all the way at the Metrodome no fears of that. In fact, I thought I was going to miss the one on 21st as was supposed to be at the 100 Club but a change of plans. With hindsight I'm glad because I want to be there to support you all.

Joy and Yocky, good luck for the future and the success of the Metrodome is pretty much guaranteed with the Soul Crew running it!

See you on 21st if not before!

Jo xx

Hi Jo

Thank you your very kind words, and support. We would absolutely love to see you at the Metrodome. Sorry you can'y make the 100 club Yocky and I went a couple of years ago with Tommy Hunt and Mandy and it was absolutely brilliant, but I am sure we can give you just as good a night , and it will be lovely to see you, once again many thanks for your kind comments.

Love Jx and Yocky

sat hear pondering n i carnt believe what the new managment team

at empress have done!

yourself joy n rest of the team have put so much into this venue over the last 3years.

i no you and joy are out of work and can remember in november you spent around 500quid on flyers etc

because you were told soul nites were to continue.if me n ade can help in any way just say n its done.

dunt no what they hev in mind at empress but i hope all our soul brothers n sisters n familys who r not

connected to the northern soul world will take note of what these so called people hev done n give the

place a wide birth.maybe one day they will find themselves out of work like you n joy .

once again yocky if theres owt we can do just ask.

love n support to two of the nicest people you could wish to be friends with.x

Hi Shirl

Yes you are right we as always book the following year in advance and they was confirmed by the management, then a week before Christmas the owner confirmed that there would be a new management team and we would befinately be ok for 2009. By this time we had had the flyers and tickets printed and booked all the DJ's. Then last Monday we recieved a text message from the Owner saying we couldn't have our soul nights. Gutted to say the least. sad.gif but we are now trying to move forward and make the wonderful nights at the Empress happen at the Metrodome.

Thank you for your kind words and support two dear friends my Shirl and Adrian special friends.

See you at therapy

Jx and Yocky

Now the good news!!!

Hi Yocky, Joy,

So sorry to hear yet again some bad news, to a successful,accomplished event, why oh why do people want to finish a winner? you know when i last saw you at the Central i said you know i must visit here, looks like it wil be a trip to Barnsly,for sure keep your head up mate you have loads of support out here in Soul-land and i will see you soon,

Regards Mall X

Hi Yocky, Joy,

So sorry to hear yet again some bad news, to a successful,accomplished event, why oh why do people want to finish a winner? you know when i last saw you at the Central i said you know i must visit here, looks like it wil be a trip to Barnsly,for sure keep your head up mate you have loads of support out here in Soul-land and i will see you soon,

Regards Mall X

Hi Malc

Thank you for your kind words and support. We are having a little bad luck at the moment, but I am sure it will change soon. Hope to see you at the Fed and Bugmans soon.

Yocky and Jx

Re ' The Chill Out Room'

I am very grateful to have been asked by Steve 'n' Joy to accompany them to a meeting with the Management of the Metrodome Yesterday. Following this meeting I can now inform you that we have secured the use of a fantastic room adjacent to the main hall to allow us to continue with the 'Chill Out' room. :D

This will continue in the same style as happened at Mexboro', ie Modern/X-Over to compliment the Main Room's Northern theme and we hope to see our friends and supporters at all the 'Metrodome' dates.

Many thanx to the organising team for allowing us to be part of this great new venture!

Best Regards to All

M. :thumbsup:

Please see the main 'Metrodome' thread for more details.

Re ' The Chill Out Room'

I am very grateful to have been asked by Steve 'n' Joy to accompany them to a meeting with the Management of the Metrodome Yesterday. Following this meeting I can now inform you that we have secured the use of a fantastic room adjacent to the main hall to allow us to continue with the 'Chill Out' room. :D

This will continue in the same style as happened at Mexboro', ie Modern/X-Over to compliment the Main Room's Northern theme and we hope to see our friends and supporters at all the 'Metrodome' dates.

Many thanx to the organising team for allowing us to be part of this great new venture!

Best Regards to All

M. :thumbsup:

:D:Dthumbup.gif:lol:

Guest BrandySistaShirl

Hi Shirl

Yes you are right we as always book the following year in advance and they was confirmed by the management, then a week before Christmas the owner confirmed that there would be a new management team and we would befinately be ok for 2009. By this time we had had the flyers and tickets printed and booked all the DJ's. Then last Monday we recieved a text message from the Owner saying we couldn't have our soul nights. Gutted to say the least. :thumbup: but we are now trying to move forward and make the wonderful nights at the Empress happen at the Metrodome.

Thank you for your kind words and support two dear friends my Shirl and Adrian special friends.

See you at therapy

Jx and Yocky

Think least they can do is see you rite for flyers n tickets.

Im gunna hev a word wi our legal department n see what they advise.

Will get back to you on that one.x

Think least they can do is see you rite for flyers n tickets.

Im gunna hev a word wi our legal department n see what they advise.

Will get back to you on that one.x

Hi Shirl

Think he's got his head up his bum. Just went off on one. He deffinately didn't work for the AA ( As he wasn't a very nice man )

Jx

Be strong and attend all therapy :thumbup:

sad news, i have dj there a few times and would like to say waht a venue it was, the djs the music, the room, speachless. I hope the metrodome does as good as mexbourgh, i only ever missed one night at mexborugh due to not been well, everynight there were one to remember :thumbup: .

Hiya Yocky

bad news mate the owner can't have his head screwed on right, hope he reads this thread and realises what a mistake he has made. Even if he has got other ideas I can't see him getting the crowds you lot have been pulling in, anyhow good luck with the Metrodome and it will be nice when we can get up there heard some great reports about Joys 50th.

All the best mate,

Gaz and Bri Mounsey.

Hi all . just got back on line ,thanks for all the kind words and suport , just thought ide mention that during a meeting with the owner of the empres at the very start 3 years ago we said we thought about 350 would be about the max the building would hold without being uncomfortable and he said that the fire regulations were 800 ,we insisted on 350 , I wonder if this is one of his reasons and has found someone who thinks more of pounds shillings and pence than he cares about peoples comfart safety and enjoyment ,just a thought,anyway ide like to thank all who suported us and shared with us the magic nights we had, I hold no ill feelings or malice to anyone as regards to the end of the empres cos I made lots of new friends there who I hope will stay friends forever. and I hope if someone ellse takes over ,even if he understands filthy lucra more than soulies he can give people the kind of nights we were blessed with ,though i think that would be like employing a wolf as a sheepdog. Look forward to seeing some of you at the metrodome if not before ,luv ya all ,El Nel . NORTHERN S O U L

sounds of unity & love

I was informed of the owners rather rash, foolish & short sighted decision by Nel last week & the fact that Yocky was that upset he didn't know how to tell Nel & Woody, also that the lovely Joy had tried to calm the waters & smooth thing's out but was basically dismissed, talk about shooting yourself in the foot or cutting your nose off to spite your face well this guy's done it with a Shotgun & a Machete, let's just see how well he does going it alone?? :thumbup:

I feel that what Midge Ure sang, "It means nothing to me, Oh the Empress (Vienna)" apply's, well to me it does because it's just a Pub with a function room & a front bar but what does stick in my throat & upset as well as greatly anger me is that there are the people who put their heart's into it & spent an eternity every year arranging the date's & Dj's etc as well as the Charitable stuff for the homeless at Xmas, this is what the Empress was about to me, the people, mine & Gail's friends, they are the Heart & Soul of it; Yocky, Joy, Nel, Jean, Woody, Linda, the later edition of Mark, Lorraine & Geordie in the Chill Out room, plus Mick the sound man & those who never miss & never would, unless they were having an amputation or were dead & would be stood exactly were they where in the room last time & the time before & the previous 3 years, all this plus the music gave it life & atmosphere, so let's not give the owner the pleasure of thinking "He's the man who can" because it US that made it & will carry on making it wherever it goes. :thumbup:

Having said all that I could weep for Yocky,Nel,Woody & Joy because it was their baby that they'd nurtured & watched flourish over the past 3 years & was a large part of their daily life that was cruelly snatched away at it's zenith.Onward & upward my friend's, Barnsley here we come. :ohmy:

Take care, be safe & remember,"Forget injuries, never forget kindness",

Spot. :lol:

Re ' The Chill Out Room'

I am very grateful to have been asked by Steve 'n' Joy to accompany them to a meeting with the Management of the Metrodome Yesterday. Following this meeting I can now inform you that we have secured the use of a fantastic room adjacent to the main hall to allow us to continue with the 'Chill Out' room. :lol:

Best Regards to All

M. :ohmy:

Terrific news......very pleased to see that the 'two room formula' will be continued at the new venue.

ATB, Paul

Hi Yocky,

sorry to hear about this mate,

me and Pete were looking forward to djing at your Xmas Special this year at the Empress, but I'm sure your new location will turn out even better for you all.

See you soon

Steve B

Guest hurryup

Hi Yocky,

sorry to hear about this mate,

me and Pete were looking forward to djing at your Xmas Special this year at the Empress, but I'm sure your new location will turn out even better for you all.

See you soon

Steve B

SHOCK! HORROR! HOW DARE THEY?

:thumbup:

It beggars belief that this was done via text message, what sort of people are they?

But let's look on the bright side - endings are good because they create beginnings - as in "the Metrodome."

The Metrodome, with the Soul Crew's help, is going to over-shadow Mexborough a trillion times. It's going to be a massive success (I can feel it in mi bones)!!!

:lol:

Personally, I for one, am glad "the new place to be" is here in sunny Barnsley

:ohmy:

Good luck to all the promoters.

Mags x