Flame N King & Vontastics

Guest inspirations001

Guest inspirations001

don't know if it's been mentioned b4 but what happened to the vontastics, and also flame and king(and bold ones). seem to remember a 12" of theirs on ebay last year. are they still going?

Social source share

• Replies 6
  • Views 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest inspirations001

don't know if it's been mentioned b4 but what happened to the vontastics, and also flame and king(and bold ones). seem to remember a 12" of theirs on ebay last year. are they still going?

anyone??

Social source share

Vontastics

"No Love For Me" b/w "Peace Of Mind," issued in October of 1965 began an encouraging time on St. Lawrence Records. While it didn't light up the charts, the follow-up "I Need You" b/w "Keep Rollin' On" (March 1966) were two equally good sides that received dual play in some cities. The next release "Day Tripper" (September 1966) is curious because the songwriter credits say Bobby Newsome, though it's the same song that John Lennon & Paul McCartney wrote. The jam became their biggest record; St. Lawrence followed with "You Can Work It Out" b/w "Never Let Our Love Grow Cold," February 1967; the A-side strutted like "Day Tripper," the B-side groove was similar but the lyrics more meaningful. Subsequent one off releases on Moonshot, Chess, and Ernest Leaner's Toddlin' Town Records didn't do much of anything and the guys left the music business. ~ Andrew Hamilton, All Music Guide

Don't know how accurate that is, but it looks like they're not around anymore.

Edited by Godzilla
Social source share

Guest inspirations001

Vontastics

"No Love For Me" b/w "Peace Of Mind," issued in October of 1965 began an encouraging time on St. Lawrence Records. While it didn't light up the charts, the follow-up "I Need You" b/w "Keep Rollin' On" (March 1966) were two equally good sides that received dual play in some cities. The next release "Day Tripper" (September 1966) is curious because the songwriter credits say Bobby Newsome, though it's the same song that John Lennon & Paul McCartney wrote. The jam became their biggest record; St. Lawrence followed with "You Can Work It Out" b/w "Never Let Our Love Grow Cold," February 1967; the A-side strutted like "Day Tripper," the B-side groove was similar but the lyrics more meaningful. Subsequent one off releases on Moonshot, Chess, and Ernest Leaner's Toddlin' Town Records didn't do much of anything and the guys left the music business. ~ Andrew Hamilton, All Music Guide

Don't know how accurate that is, but it looks like they're not around anymore.

cheers mate, i suppose i could hasve googled it!! know anything about flamen king?

by the way has anyone tracked/tried to track vontastics down?

Social source share

cheers mate, i suppose i could hasve googled it!! know anything about flamen king?

If you Google Flame 'n King you'll find something. There was a piece in the Observer last year that mentioned he still had a version of the band on the go in Harlem. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest inspirations001

If you Google Flame 'n King you'll find something. There was a piece in the Observer last year that mentioned he still had a version of the band on the go in Harlem. thumbsup.gif

!!!!! sort of the last place you'd expect a run down on an obscure us funk/soul band i suppose!

Social source share

i am trying to set up a vontastics interview on my radio show (www.sittinginthepark.com), I'm currently in contact with the guitarist. Bobby Newsome was Bobby James on Karol, by the way, Mark Bicknell has posted some letter he got from him here a few times.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!