Is There Still Such A Thing As Northern Soul Nowadays?

ajb

:unsure:

are new/newly discovered tracks still called northern soul, when soul is nationally spread now.

if so, was there a time when it ceased to become northern, and just became old/rare soul.

is it just a term that we tag on to any thing, we remember that sounds like ''northern'' soul

mmmmmm :ohmy:

Social source share

• Replies 6
  • Views 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Steve Lehair

I have agued some thing similar to this on th soul full house thread. I,ve been on this scene since 73 went to wigan every

weekend for first 3 years ,cleethorpes cats , top rank , va va, i,m northern thu and thru BUT

i love the scene now its a broarder church and i for one am happy in a "northern room " and i love Middleton,but am also

happy in a modern room like Stoke playin "housy" stuff. I think it is time to drop the "Northern "tag and the Soulful house tag

and what ever else the scene is now just one wonderfull underground soul scene and we should embrace it

Steve

Social source share

Guest FrostyJak

I think it is time to drop the "Northern "tag and the Soulful house tag

and what ever else the scene is now just one wonderfull underground soul scene and we should embrace it

thumbup.gif

Social source share

I have agued some thing similar to this on th soul full house thread. I,ve been on this scene since 73 went to wigan every

weekend for first 3 years ,cleethorpes cats , top rank , va va, i,m northern thu and thru BUT

i love the scene now its a broarder church and i for one am happy in a "northern room " and i love Middleton,but am also

happy in a modern room like Stoke playin "housy" stuff. I think it is time to drop the "Northern "tag and the Soulful house tag

Steve

"Northern" was national, but on a smaller scale, before it was given the name, and "Modern" usually isn't, so the titles may not be all that apt nowadays. However, they do give you some idea of what to expect (you've used a couple of examples yourself) if your planning on travelling some distance to a venue. I'll travel to listen to all sorts but it depends how I feel at the time, so keeping the labels is fine by me.

-Kev.

Social source share

Steve

I doubt if there will ever come a time , when the term " NS " is not allied to this scene of ours .

Whatever the title is given to a particular , and often diverse style of music that is now played , it will always come under the banner of

" Northern Soul " because of its' association to that culture .

You might own a Dyson , but you still Hoover up ..........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest Steve Lehair

I doubt if there will ever come a time , when the term " NS " is not allied to this scene of ours .

Whatever the title is given to a particular , and often diverse style of music that is now played , it will always come under the banner of

" Northern Soul " because of its' association to that culture .

You might own a Dyson , but you still Hoover up ..........

Malc Burton

[/quote thats what i mean arnt we just using the term Northern in an affectionate an d/or habitual way

instead of calling it what it is The soul music scene . I do understand tho that we view the term Northern Soul

as something special, and of course it is :unsure:

Steve

Social source share

Certain tracks just scream the words "Northern Soul" to me and always will...Parliaments.."This is my rainy day" ....Mac Staten " There she goes"......Just a couple to go on, these type of tunes have the right ingrediants and for me cant be described as anything else.

Andy

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!