How Big Is The Soul Scene?

Tommy1

Maybe this has been posted before, but how many clubs/happenings are there around the world these days? And by soul scene I mean northern, funk and across the board clubs.

I'll start with Norway:

Oslo Soul Experience (Oslo, across the board)

Contagious (Oslo, mainly 70s and modern)

Doin' it (Oslo, soul, funk, afro...)

Social source share

• Replies 51
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Maybe this has been posted before, but how many clubs/happenings are there around the world these days? And by soul scene I mean northern, funk and across the board clubs.

I'll start with Norway:

You can't really want us to name every soul club in Britian, but i reckon there must be 50 - 60 or more

Social source share

I'll start with Norway:

:thumbsup: This could go on over a few pages and get lots of repeats I reckon. What about going around the globe alphabetically and exhausting each letter before going on. Make UK last and do it similarly by counties (Kent will be easy).

So...AFGHANISTAN......any offers?

Social source share

Wow didn't know there where so many! :thumbsup: I don't need all the names, a number is fine.

Well just in a 50 mile radius of Banbury there's

Oxford

Rugby

Banbury

Leamington

Warwick

Nuneaton

A new one starting up in Coventry by Matt Male and co

Cadbury's, I think thats still going, correct me if I'm wrong

All the club's in Northhampton area

I think Desborough is within that area

Soulfusion, Glos

Cheltenham

to name a few

Social source share

Well just in a 50 mile radius of Banbury there's

Oxford

Rugby

Banbury

Leamington

Warwick

Nuneaton

A new one starting up in Coventry by Matt Male and co

Cadbury's, I think thats still going, correct me if I'm wrong

All the club's in Northhampton area

I think Desborough is within that area

Soulfusion, Glos

Cheltenham

to name a few

:thumbsup: Is that Banburistan, Helmand province?

Social source share

:thumbsup: This could go on over a few pages and get lots of repeats I reckon. What about going around the globe alphabetically and exhausting each letter before going on. Make UK last and do it similarly by counties (Kent will be easy).

So...AFGHANISTAN......any offers?

Sorry for waisting your time, but i thought it might be interesting to see, at least for me (who are used to the small amount of clubs in Norway) how "big" the soul scene really are.

Social source share

Sorry for waisting your time, but i thought it might be interesting to see, at least for me (who are used to the small amount of clubs in Norway) how "big" the soul scene really are.

:shades: Don't get me wrong mate, I think this is interesting. An excellent idea and could be a good thread.

I was, perhaps wrongly, trying to make it an easier thread to follow once it gets to a few pages.

And, who knows about Afghanistan? Not too long ago I was up for a contract there or Iraq and I had definate thoughts of getting something on if I'd ended up on one of the larger bases. And don't forget that someone on here found a Northern collection tucked away in Basra Palace!

Good luck with this - I'll pop back later and see how it's going. :thumbsup:

- Kev.

Social source share

No problem Kev, I can see (now) that if we should have the name of all happenings/nights it could be a long tread. And I really didn't know that there was at least 50-60 nights going on in UK :thumbsup:

What about Germany, Spain, Italy....?

Tommy, there's at least 4 Soul weekenders each year in Spain, probably more in Germany, some in Italy too, and one underway as we speak in Switzerland.

I don't have details of all the individual clubs behind them on but can look them up when I get the time - unless someone beats me to it (please!).

Social source share

Hi!

The main ones in Spain are:

* MOVIN' ON (Barcelona): Across the board, but leaning towards the modern side of things :thumbsup: (Next one, 7th of April, with Sebastain Fonzeus and Yann Vatiste as guest Dj's)

* THE BOILER (Barcelona): Mainly R&B, black R&R and soul

* GREEN VILLAGE (Madrid): Same as Movin' On

* SMART (Madrid): 60's soul and R&B

* GONNA BE A BIG THING (Valencia): Northern soul and crossover

* S4R (Bilbao, but this is a weekender): Crossover and modern soul

...Plus me and Cristina from The Boiler (also my partner at Movin' On) run a weekly soul/R&B night in Barcelona every Sunday, called SPICE OF LIFE. There are many other little clubs in BCN and Madrid, but they are more in the mod/60's side of things.

Best!

Edu

P.M: Tommy, got my e-mail...? :shades:

No problem Kev, I can see (now) that if we should have the name of all happenings/nights it could be a long tread. And I really didn't know that there was at least 50-60 nights going on in UK ohmy.gif

Social source share

Sort of miss-read the topic...i was only referring to strictly SOUL clubs; i should mention then POWDER ROOM (Barcelona), running for 5 years + now every thursday. It's a massive venue, 500 + coming every thursday....Keb Darge has a monthly residency plus we've had Butch, Ian Wright, Dj Spinna, etc...Djing there. I used to Dj regularly there, now i'm supposed to run the monthly night they're starting in...Andorra! huh.gif

I also Dj in smaller funk & jazz clubs in BCN, as RED CLUB, HARLEM or CAFE ALSUR...Another funk, jazz and soul night worth mentioning is the one that JADD (one of the best Spanish Dj's IMO) runs in Madrid @ MARULA CLUB.

Hi!

The main ones in Spain are:

* MOVIN' ON (Barcelona): Across the board, but leaning towards the modern side of things :thumbsup: (Next one, 7th of April, with Sebastain Fonzeus and Yann Vatiste as guest Dj's)

* THE BOILER (Barcelona): Mainly R&B, black R&R and soul

* GREEN VILLAGE (Madrid): Same as Movin' On

* SMART (Madrid): 60's soul and R&B

* GONNA BE A BIG THING (Valencia): Northern soul and crossover

* S4R (Bilbao, but this is a weekender): Crossover and modern soul

...Plus me and Cristina from The Boiler (also my partner at Movin' On) run a weekly soul/R&B night in Barcelona every Sunday, called SPICE OF LIFE. There are many other little clubs in BCN and Madrid, but they are more in the mod/60's side of things.

Best!

Edu

P.M: Tommy, got my e-mail...? :shades:

Social source share

Guest Nik Mak

be easier naming major uk towns that dont have one ?

but there again suppose a lot depends on what you call a soul nite/event

To answer the question: NOT as big as we would like it to be but probably BIGGER than we think! :thumbsup:

Social source share

No problem Kev, I can see (now) that if we should have the name of all happenings/nights it could be a long tread. And I really didn't know that there was at least 50-60 nights going on in UK :unsure:

I bet it's nearer 600 than 60 in the UK..

I reckon Mike's right, it would be easier naming the towns with a lack of soul in the uk!. :huh:

Jayne.x.

Social source share

Can`t name all German events as I simply don`t know them all (doubt anyone does) but of course

BAMBERG

Ní…"RNBERG

HAMBURG

AACHEN

and

FRANKFURT

have to be named for their big weekenders.

In Berlin we do have the following regular (o.v.o.) nights:

HIP CITY SOUL CLUB

DOWNTOWN SOULVILLE ALLNIGHTER

ROTER SALON ALLNIGHTER

NITTY GRITTY CLUB

these do play 6ts and Modern Soul

furthermore we do have on regular basis

SOULKOMBINAT

SOUL INN

SOUL EXPLOSION

TOUR DE FUNK

WIR SIND SOUL

DIRTY ACTION

CLUB SEPAREE

which do play Boogaloo, Funk, Deep Funk, R&B and Soul in general.

...plus there are two monthly Skinhead Reggae / Rocksteady nights here in Berlin which do play a bit of Soul inbetween.

So you see, quite a lot on offer here in Berlin :thumbup:

Marc

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

HIP CITY SOUL CLUB

ROTER SALON ALLNIGHTER

NITTY GRITTY CLUB

SOULKOMBINAT

SOUL INN

SOUL EXPLOSION

TOUR DE FUNK

WIR SIND SOUL

DIRTY ACTION

CLUB SEPAREE

...plus there are two monthly Skinhead Reggae / Rocksteady nights here in Berlin which do play a bit of Soul inbetween.

So you see, quite a lot on offer here in Berlin :(

Marc

Berlin rules, love the city and all the nice people there! :thumbup:

Social source share

Finland:

Soul Seed (Turku), a monthly night since 2003, mostly rare soul with some funk thrown in.

Soul Sides (Helsinki), since 2003 also? Currently bi-monthly, similar music policy as above.

...Also some smaller club nights, some more regular than others.

No regular 'Northern' nights at the moment, there was one semi-regular between 2001 and 2007, probably just one-offs from now on.

Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

Australia....regular soul nites & weekenders in

Billy's Beach House, Gold Coast, Qld

Polish Club, Brisbane, Qld

Irish Club , Perth, Western Australia

Fly By Night, Freemantle, Western Australia

Doveton Soccer Club, Melbourne, Victoria

The Cherry Bar, Melbourne, Victoria

The Historian, Adelaide, South Australia

TNT, Sydney, NSW

PLUS The Australian National Northern Soul Weekender every Oct/Nov with it rotating through the states each year.

There are some others but can't be strictly called soul nights.

KTF

Baz

Adelaide

I'll start with Norway:

Social source share

In the "midwest" here in the USA we have the following nights, all of which focus on northern soul first and foremost, with some nights getting deeper into r&b, modern, and maybe some funk/funky soul more than others:

Ann Arbor Soul Club - Ann Arbor, MI

Windy City Soul Club - Chicago, IL

Vipers Soul Club - Pittsburgh, PA

Gold Label Soul - Lawrence, KS

Hipshaker - Minneapolis, MN (soul and funk)

North By Midwest - Milwaukee, WI

The Soul Hole - Milwaukee

More funk-inspired nights where you would still here some soul sounds mixed in would include:

Funk Night - Detroit

The Get Down - Milwaukee

Sheer Magic - Chicago

I know there are plenty more nights in the States, especially in NYC and on the West Coast, so feel free to add to this list!

Social source share

And, who knows about Afghanistan? Not too long ago I was up for a contract there or Iraq and I had definate thoughts of getting something on if I'd ended up on one of the larger bases. And don't forget that someone on here found a Northern collection tucked away in Basra Palace!

- Kev.

Yes ............ The big "Imberboy" Iraq find ! :wicked:

Copys of the Exiters - blowing up my mind ................Bob Relf - Blowing my mind to pieces............Baba Brooks - Nuclear weapon ....... etc

Ahh yes .......... I remember that haul very well !!!!

Great memories Si ! :D

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Thanks a lot guys :wicked: This is absolutely interesting!

By now:

Uk: Maybe impossible to say, 500?

Norway: 3

USA Midwest: 10

New Zealand: 1

Australia 9 (incl. National Northern Soul Weekender)

Finland 2 (at least)

Germany, represented by Berlin (for now) :D 11

Spain 7

Social source share

Guest marco i

Italy is down in numbers lately, both in terms of regular events and in terms of attendance.

Reasons? I don't know, it's difficult to understand... probably a negative astral conjuction... :rolleyes:

Currently, as far as I know, the only soul events which have been running regularly for some years and are still running are:

Rare Soul weekender - Rimini (July)

Black Trefoil Soul Club - Genova (September/October - January/February - May/June)

Other soul clubs which organised regular nights in the past (La Pelle Nera - Milano, Leaning Tower - Pisa, Wild Cats - Vicenza...) are currently not running events, even if their djs are still active and we all hope that they will get back organising soon.

There are some new soul nights which are not regular yet, but are really promising: Parma (nice and well attended allnighter last Saturday), Rome (one good allnighter last May and a new one coming in February 28th).

This year we'll have some additional Summer weekenders, the Epic Soul in Palinuro (advertised on soul source by Alfredo) and the Trulli Soulful one, as well as Village Soul in Tuscany (I guess, even if I have not heard about its third edition yet).

I've got mixed feelings and some doubts on this issue, according to me 3 or 4 weekenders in Italy in a few months are too many... may be I'm wrong... we'll see.

Marco

What about Italy....?
Social source share

Germany, represented by Berlin (for now) :rolleyes: 11

I'm sure this number increases significantly once one of the Hamburg guys notices this thread. I have the impression they have dozens of different events each w/end. :ohmy:

For Munich: no regular allnighters or soul nights as far as I know. Infrequent events (e.g. Soulful World Allnighter in march). There are a handful of club nights playing some soul inbetween but I don't think they'd qualify for a proper soul do.

Social source share

Thanks a lot guys :rolleyes: This is absolutely interesting!

By now:

Uk: Maybe impossible to say, 500?

Norway: 3

USA Midwest: 10

New Zealand: 1

Australia 9 (incl. National Northern Soul Weekender)

Finland 2 (at least)

Germany, represented by Berlin (for now) :ohmy: 11

Spain 7

Isn't there a greek one? My friend Sandra went to one in Zante last year.

Must be a dublin one?..

Is Lanzarote included under spain?..

Jayne.x

Social source share

Not as big as the heads of some of those on it. :rolleyes:

D

Ah, now I stopped meself! :yes:

How big is the soul scene?.. Take an average Dj's ego & half it... about that big!.

coat please!.

:ohmy:

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Well in Peterborough there is

The Right Track (Across the board)

Soul Ole (across the Board)

The Fleet (one room for Oldies and one for Modern)

The City Club (plays across the board, themed monthly)

Not forgetting any soul events in pubs like Limetree (Ian Gray Radio cambs DJ does It) and The Bluebell and if there are reunions for Wirrina some place holds it

i would say all nighters at Rugby club if i knew they would carry on into 2009

Social source share

It's surprising the lack of proper northern/modern soul nighters in Belgium, all seem to be popcorn or 60's R&B (Thierry's Brussels do or Axel one in Antwerp), notthing seem to be going on in Holland either: both countries share a love for black music and there are loads of american records to be found there....strange :wave:

Portugal? Greece?

Best!

Edu

Social source share

Ireland Sleepless nights Dublin

Belfast soul club

sure theres many more think Derry might have one Soul/Funk club

Belfast Soul Club is "sleeping" at the mo, tbh not enough into it :) ask Liam..

Social source share

Guest smigger

Can`t name all German events as I simply don`t know them all (doubt anyone does) but of course

BAMBERG

Ní…"RNBERG

HAMBURG

AACHEN

and

FRANKFURT

have to be named for their big weekenders.

HIP CITY SOUL CLUB

ROTER SALON ALLNIGHTER

NITTY GRITTY CLUB

SOULKOMBINAT

SOUL INN

SOUL EXPLOSION

TOUR DE FUNK

WIR SIND SOUL

DIRTY ACTION

CLUB SEPAREE

So you see, quite a lot on offer here in Berlin :)

Marc

add to that

D¼sseldorf with Monsters of Funk and Soul twice a year

Duisburg with Soulconnection once a month

Oberhausen (or is it M¼lheim?) with H¼ftgold

and what's that club in Wiesbaden called? Red Cap or Black Cat or something?

If we're talking across the board then there are loads. Strictly NS is a different matter.

Social source share

It's surprising the lack of proper northern/modern soul nighters in Belgium, all seem to be popcorn or 60's R&B (Thierry's Brussels do or Axel one in Antwerp), notthing seem to be going on in Holland either: both countries share a love for black music and there are loads of american records to be found there....strange :)

Portugal? Greece?

Best!

Edu

Well, in Holland you got the Amsterdam Soul Club once a month for starters. I am not so sure what is going on now but they had some runs and nighters (Ska & Soul) in the 80's & 90's...

In Hamburg we have something going on almost every weekend.

Soul only Clubs:

For Dancers Only (Northern, R& B, Modern, bi-monthly)

Northern Soul Allnighter (viphitmanclub starts Feb 2009 approx. 4-6 times a year)

Soul Allnighter (Across the Board since 1983 twice a year)

Rare Pleasure Soul Club (Modern; Northern Club/Bar Night 5 times a year)

Mixed Clubs

Hip Cat Club (once a month Beat, Garage, Soul, Mod..)

Piff Pang Pow (3-4 times a year..Beat, Garage, Soul, Mod)

Soulexplosion (3-4 times a year, mainly Funk & Soul)

Mojo Club(Soul, Jazz, K¶ln, Hanover and once a year in Hamburg)

Bar/Club Nights

Double Dynamite (Ska & Soul once a month)

Double Cooking (Beat, Soul, Mod 5-8 times a year)

Soul Jerker (Ska, Soul 3-4 times a year)

Charity Soul (hopefully more often)

and lots of other Bars were Djs play Soul with other stuff.....

Weekender in or around Hamburg

Hamburg Soul Weekender (Northern, R&B, Modern)

Baltic Soul Weekender (all sorts of Soul...)

Kings & Queens (Soul, R& B, Rocksteady, Ska)

Kiel Weekender (Soul & Ska, Rocksteady)

And some scooter runs...

That doesn't mean we have a big scene here in Hamburg but some events regulary attract up to 200-500 people (mainly from Hamburg). Well, not just attended by a hardcore Soul ''Crout'' :D but nevertheless a nice mix of people. I think there are more and more people getting into it at the moment.

The Weekenders are quite big (up to 1200+) but obviously not just enjoyed by people form Hamburg.

But there are also lots of other events in Germany (clubs, runs, mixed nighters...)

Here are some Soul (Northern, Modern, R& cool.gif only events:

Berlin (as mentioned by Mark)

Bremen (Soul A Rama, Backdrop)

L¼beck (Hanseatic Soul)

Leipzig (Soul Surgery)

Jena (Soulclub Jena)

Dresden (Break Down Soulclub)

Stuttgart (The Horse Club)

N¼rnberg (Central Soul Club, Weekender...)

M¼nchen (as mentioned by Benji)

Well, to many to mention but you got also something going on (Weekender/ Soul Nights) in Aachen; Bottrop, Neuss, Frankfurt, Marburg, Bielefeld .......... and of a few runs.......

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!