A Dab Of Soul Nantwich 17th Jan

Just wanted to say a massive thankyou to everyone who supported our first official night at the upstairs room at the Civic hall last night. The attendence far exceeded our expectations and there was a superb atmosphere in the room all night.

The guest DJs, Mick and Mo and Gary Holyman played quality sets of crossover soul which was well received by everyone...thanks guys.

We had many travellers coming from such places as Derby, Northampton, Wolverhampton, Cannock, manchester etc and a lot of people drifted up from the oldies room to see what was happening upstairs, many of them even stayed and had a listen which was really encouraging.

So,the next date is March 21st which doesn`t clash with anything locally, Cliff Steele and Keith Williams are the guest DJs.

I feel that last night was the start of something really special.

Thanks again.

Chris

• Replies 17
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just wanted to say a massive thankyou to everyone who supported our first official night at the upstairs room at the Civic hall last night. The attendence far exceeded our expectations and there was a superb atmosphere in the room all night.

The guest DJs, Mick and Mo and Gary Holyman played quality sets of crossover soul which was well received by everyone...thanks guys.

We had many travellers coming from such places as Derby, Northampton, Wolverhampton, Cannock, manchester etc and a lot of people drifted up from the oldies room to see what was happening upstairs, many of them even stayed and had a listen which was really encouraging.

So,the next date is March 21st which doesn`t clash with anything locally, Cliff Steele and Keith Williams are the guest DJs.

I feel that last night was the start of something really special.

Thanks again.

Chris

Kinnell rumbled again :unsure: . Yeah certainly food for thought. Interesting this, when I happened to pop upstairs(3 or 4 occasons iI think) the music I found to be good and I hadn't got a clue who/what it was. I heard some good mid/uptempo tunes which to me is how I like my 'soul' delivered.

I suppose when you haven't got the knowledge of the 'whole' soul genre then 70's/crossover can only be judged on what you've experienced before.

My previous run ins with this haven't really done much for me---yeah its 'nice' but that was about it.

There is evidently a lot of thought and effort gone into putting this room on. The signing of a guest book so you can be informed of future events, the production of a CD all helps in making this a very 'inclusive' event.

One can often feel excluded when exposed to a genre you are not familiar with. It can often feel you've stumbled upon a 'little private club' where everyone knows the music and you have to endure rather than enjoy.

There is quite a nice 'buzz' to this room with a vibrant and professional record sales space that adds to the 'feel' of a goo d soul night.

So yes well done chaps keep it up--you are imo on the right track and certainly know what direction you aim to take this and good luck with it.

i shall definitely spend time in here when i visit Nantwich again---but beware i might have to start asking questions about who sings this and how much is it etc :huh::D

On a lighter note you must be dong something good cos I met Dave Evison coming out of the room as we sheepishly nodded on the stairs :D:huh::D

Jez (trying not to be a soul dinosaur ,more of a soul chameleon)

Edited by jez jones

Jez,

I really appreciate your comments mate.

Yes, there will be some people travelling a long way who will be making the effort to listen to some of the best crossover DJs in the country and of course we will cater for that, but we are also aware that there are many people, including a lot of Nantwich regulars, who are new to this genre of music and we are desperate to welcome anyone who wants to give the upstairs room a try.

I know what you mean about certain venues feeling like an exclusive club and both Dave and I are desperate that "A Dab of soul" doesn`t give off this kind of vibe. I have always been of the mind that the dance floor is important and the policy of all DJs booked will be to be minful of the dance floor. Sure they can throw a few obscure things in but we dont want anyone clearing the floor for an hour while they play to their mates at the bar....For me the vibe is all important and I thought it was spot on last night.

Feel free to ask away with any questions Jez...there were some of the most knowledgable collectors in the UK in that room last night,nice guys, all easy to talk to and generous with their knowledge too.

Dave Evison likes his 70s, has a good ear for it too....Keith Minshull also showed his face but made a sharp one once he had his mitts on a free CD!

Another free Cd on its way to anyone who signed the guest book in a couple of weeks...

Thanks again...

Chris.

Hi Guys,

I met Dave at Long Eaton last week, and I knew that I couldn't get along last night,but I'm really pleased it went well, I shall do my very best to be at the next one.

Had the free cd Dave gave me in the car all week - I thought the promotional concept was excellent - and the tunes just spot on, the Jo Armstead is fantastic, and someone tell me more about the Donnie Burkes, just please don't tell me it's the flip of "Satisfaction guaranteed" on Decca, or I'm going to open a vein!

Top drawer!

Anyway, take it easy everyone,

RB

Really enjoyed the night Chris, well worth the trip from Nottingham, although when the rain hit on the A50 I felt like pulling into Willington but really glad I didn't :lol: . Just a night of quality people & tunes which I'll certainly be back for. :lol:

John

HI CHRIS WHAT IS THE NEXT DATE(S) FOR THIS ONE PLEASE.

Really enjoyed the night Chris, well worth the trip from Nottingham, although when the rain hit on the A50 I felt like pulling into Willington but really glad I didn't :D . Just a night of quality people & tunes which I'll certainly be back for. :wicked:

John

sorry we could,nt doanything about the horrendous weather john but i did say you would have a great night

think we kept to that, and more.

regards

dave lucas

dave/chris thanks from mo and me for asking us to play afew on this your 1st official night.

took us over four and a half hours to battle through the wind and rain,plus two road closes,due to bad accidents to get across country.

well worth it though,think once the word get's out about the music on offer up here the place will start to attract like minded souls.

was nice to see quite a few of the northern crowd from downstairs take the 1st few steps to wards the darkside :) and stick around to hear what is after all just good dancible soul music, 60t's,70ts, crossover, good music will always rise to the top.

i know dave & chris are very passionate about the music & about making this event a beacon in the north west,on this showing i hope & believe there passion will win through,like they say "if you build it they will come"

thanks team :wicked::D:D

Mick, Thanks for the comments mate....I thought the blend of travellers/crossover fans and the Northern crowd was spot on and as i said earlier the vibe in the room was fantastic. Thanks so much to You and Mo for coming all the way from Skeg, we really enjoyed your set, as always filled with quality tunes.

Rich, The Donny Burkes track goes for about 40 quid, its on the Metromedia label and the B-side "I was satisfied" is also brilliant. Hope you can make the next one mate.

Kimbo, The next date is March 23rd Keith Williams and Cliff Steele...looking forward to it already!

John, Really appreciate your support on Friday mate, see you around soon.

Cheers, Chris.

Tremendous night all round, great music, friendly folk and not a whiff of musical snobbery to be had. This room has been crying out for someone to kick start it into something special for quite a while but methinks this is all about to change over the next twelve months.Great,great music from the spinners, Guinness at the bar and Joe Hinton in my ears, marvellous.

This neck of the woods NEEDS a quality real soul bash, I do honestly think more of the 'northern' only crowd would be more than pleasantly surprised if they dipped their toes into the modern and crossover lake ( I did and am still here to tell the tale!) theres a heck of a lot of great records out there guys, (look how big Sidney Joe and Mandrill went at the old Whyche) and their as northern as coal in the bath and Yorkshire puds now ain't they?!

You always know your on a winner when you go home with a list of yet more wants, the bank managers not too happy tho'. :P

Top hole.

Roll on 2009.

Jim :lol:

Tremendous night all round, great music, friendly folk and not a whiff of musical snobbery to be had. This room has been crying out for someone to kick start it into something special for quite a while but methinks this is all about to change over the next twelve months.Great,great music from the spinners, Guinness at the bar and Joe Hinton in my ears, marvellous.

This neck of the woods NEEDS a quality real soul bash, I do honestly think more of the 'northern' only crowd would be more than pleasantly surprised if they dipped their toes into the modern and crossover lake ( I did and am still here to tell the tale!) theres a heck of a lot of great records out there guys, (look how big Sidney Joe and Mandrill went at the old Whyche) and their as northern as coal in the bath and Yorkshire puds now ain't they?!

You always know your on a winner when you go home with a list of yet more wants, the bank managers not too happy tho'. :lol:

Top hole.

Roll on 2009.

Jim :ohmy:

Jim

Pleased to hear that you think the event is going in the right direction. I've also got some footage (given to me on Saturday) of the Wyche that I hope the ones that have supported us for so long will enjoy. We have always tried to keep the music as fresh as we can. I remeber Tot as one of the first to play Drizabone and that was even before Trentham all nighters started [i think] then it was everywhere.

You always know your on a winner when you go home with a list of yet more wants, the bank managers not too happy tho'. :rolleyes:

Top hole.

Roll on 2009.

Jim thumbsup.gif

JIM

thanks for your very positive comments and glad you obviously both enjoyed it, think we have made a good start with the room but rest assurred we won,t be resting on our laurel,s as they say "your only as good as your last game".

looking forward to you guesting in june we know you won,t dissapoint, see you soon

regards

dave lucas

Hello peeps,

It's Saturday night, we've got our 'pass-out' from Willington and we're almost at Nantwich for the proper launch of a Dab of Soul, a night we've been looking forward to for some time.

Not been to Nantwich before, well, not for a soul night, but thanks to Chris's directions, we didn't have too much trouble finding the place. The heavens opened as we arrived and dumped loads of sleet & rain on us - I do try to be forward thinking, but on this occasion had neglected to bring the wet suit & flippers that would have been ideal for negotiating the underwater car-park. Anyway, made it to door with somewhat soggy shoes, paid the necessary fees - free CD, thank you very much, then up the stairs to the crossover room - another free CD, wa-hey!!.

Walked in to find the Northampton posse of Elaine, Cliff, Trev & Val were already in residence - record boxes aplenty to rummage in and some very nice music emanating from the other end of the room. Have to say, the room's about the right size, decent chunk of dance floor, it's own bar and enough room to accommodate several sales boxes at the back of the room - as long as somebody remembers to bring a light or two!!!

It wasn't long before several more familiar faces appeared through the door and the night began to liven up. The dance floor wasn't busy all night but the music was top notch - really liked the Frank Hutson track from Mick 'n' Mo, Gary Holyman tickled our tastebuds with a track by Azteca and thought the Jeff Floyd LP track delivered by Mr Lucas right at the end of the night was absolutely spot on.

Chris & Dave seem to have got the formula right and I can see this night going from strength to strength - this first night set a really good standard that I feel sure will be matched next time with Cliffe Steele and Keith Williams doing the honours ..... so if you like 70's/crossover stick the 21st March in your diary and give it a go......and if you're not sure whether you'd like it or not....there's always the humungous, heaving Northern room to fall back on smile.gif

Toodlepip,

Kev

Thanks for the comments Kev, its always a good night when you and Vicky turn up. Look forward to your spot later in the year mate.....

News hot off the press, we have just finalised our line-up for 2009. We have managed to secure the services of the following top guest DJs to bring you the best in 70s/crossover soul......

Cliff Steele

Ady Pountain

Andy Whitmore

Russ Vickers

Robert kay

Jock Oconnor

Keith Willimas

Paul Havekin

John Fisher

James Elliot

Paul Gould

Kev Rogers

Sorry if i missed anybody out....

With guests like that i`m sure last Saturday was just the start!!!!

Chris.

Cliff Steele

Ady Pountain

Andy Whitmore

Russ Vickers

Robert kay

Jock Oconnor

Keith Willimas

Paul Havekin

John Fisher

James Elliot

Paul Gould

Kev Rogers

very,very impressive guest list, so many on there we look up to,and to a man all have " the ear" for fantastic records, the year ahead maybe ain't looking so bad after all :thumbup::ohmy::P

Cliff Steele

Ady Pountain

Andy Whitmore

Russ Vickers

Robert kay

Jock Oconnor

Keith Willimas

Paul Havekin

John Fisher

James Elliot

Paul Gould

Kev Rogers

very,very impressive guest list, so many on there we look up to,and to a man all have " the ear" for fantastic records, the year ahead maybe ain't looking so bad after all :lol::D:lol:

Both chris and myself did agree that from the beginning that we would try and get the best guest list there is about mick, and along with you and MO and gary from our first event i think we are not to far short of achieving that goal, as you say i think the year ahead musically is looking very good for "A DAB OF SOUL"

regards

dave lucas

• 5 weeks later...