Deep Funk And N/soul What The Funkin' Hell

Personaly i go to allnighters to listen to N/soul not hard core funk,i like funk but it as to have a stonkin' back beat that dont let up,not that choppy changey rare crap i am hearing out.....you can keep,and the fans that come with it aint much better i dont want me shoes all danced on,stupid unco-ordinated dance action..........djs if your fed up of northern fook off somewhere else and stop trying to drag us into funk stupidity.

Respect Ken

Edited by ken
Social source share

• Replies 225
  • Views 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

who and where Ken? Personally I am by and large with you. Some soul with a funky edge isn't out of place at times but out and out Funk.........

Should have gone to the 100club last night, biggrin.gif thats all i'm sayin' :shades: propperly said too much allready. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Someone didn't drop "Summer in the Parks" did they? :unsure: .

Love the record got two of em',its not choppy and changey is it? or deep,or hard or whatever is it,i know its not rare :huh:

Social source share

Personaly i go to allnighters to listen to N/soul not hard core funk,i like funk but it as to have a stonkin' back beat that dont let up,not that choppy changey rare crap i am hearing out.....you can keep,and the fans that come with it aint much better i dont want me shoes all danced on,stupid unco-ordinated dance action..........djs if your fed up of northern fook off somewhere else and stop trying to drag us into funk stupidity.

Respect Ken

I take it it must be ok then,must be me :unsure:

Social source share

I take it it must be ok then,must be me :unsure:

No not just you Ken, me too!

I just don't like people trying to foist things on us.

I generally don't go out to listen to all this Funk stuff. If I did want to hear it I'd go to a Funk nite or somewhere that had Funk on their flyers at least.

Hearing it at a Northern/R'n'B venue would be a big disappointment for me (I said for ME - all you people who are gonna tell me to broaden my outlook).

Still I haven't stopped smoking, so at least there's still the smokers social to run off to.

-Kev.

Social source share

how about letting us know what the offending tracks are? You can never please everyone all the time and you can't expect every record to be to your liking :lol:

Nearly a full set of em',why would i find out the title of a record i dont like or want ?, and i will listen to anything.........you can dance too :huh: nice back down Chalky. :D

Social source share

As we're all aware some funk has always been played on the NS scene, its just that recently we have called it such as opposed to just excepting it as NS. I kinda know what you mean, but like all the genres of black music that we cherry pick from there are good & bad examples & the good is very good............but some of the messier stuff is not for me, like Ken says it has to have a good stompin (stonkin') beat.............I'm not sure that some members of SS will even realise what what this is. instead thinking of the more disco-ey type of funk, instead of the hard gritty driving style I think we're referring too, I must admit I was personally ok with most of what I heard at the 100 Club in this style, but wouldnt want a whole night of it..............the better cuts mixed in with more trad sounding NS is ok with me tho'.

Russ

Social source share

As we're all aware some funk has always been played on the NS scene, its just that recently we have called it such as opposed to just excepting it as NS. I kinda know what you mean, but like all the genres of black music that we cherry pick from there are good & bad examples & the good is very good............but some of the messier stuff is not for me, like Ken says it has to have a good stompin (stonkin') beat.............I'm not sure that some members of SS will even realise what what this is. instead thinking of the more disco-ey type of funk, instead of the hard gritty driving style I think we're referring too, I must admit I was personally ok with most of what I heard at the 100 Club in this style, but wouldnt want a whole night of it..............the better cuts mixed in with more trad sounding NS is ok with me tho'.

Russ

G'post Russ,b'out right.

Social source share

Nearly a full set of em',why would i find out the title of a record i dont like or want ?, and i will listen to anything.........you can dance too :D nice back down Chalky. :lol:

I've no wish to hear the out and out funk or messy stuff you refer to, just wondering what they were thats all.

Social source share

I've no wish to hear the out and out funk or messy stuff you refer to, just wondering what they were thats all.

ask Butch for his play list :lol:

Edited by ken
Social source share

..... :lol: ????

Butches first set,didnt have much to do with N/soul my opinion thats all no big deal is it? funk doesnt do it for me,i can't dance to it !! :D

Social source share

Guest Neil Taylor

ALRIGHT KEN,I`M WITH YOU ON SOME OF THE STUFF I`VE LISTENED TO THAT CAME OUT ON THE SUPERFUNK SERIES AND THE FUNK SPECTRUM,NOT MY FLAVOUR AT ALL.BUT I DO LIKE A BIT OF NORTHERN FUSED FUNK THAT GETS AIRED AT THE BURNLEY ALL-NIGHTER FROM DJ`S LIKE KARL HEARD ETC.

I LIKE A DRIVING BEAT WITH A HAMMOND OR SAX BREAK IN THE MIDDLE,NOT A STOP START GOING NOWHERE BEAT.

GOOD THREAD......NEIL.

Social source share

ALRIGHT KEN,I`M WITH YOU ON SOME OF THE STUFF I`VE LISTENED TO THAT CAME OUT ON THE SUPERFUNK SERIES AND THE FUNK SPECTRUM,NOT MY FLAVOUR AT ALL.BUT I DO LIKE A BIT OF NORTHERN FUSED FUNK THAT GETS AIRED AT THE BURNLEY ALL-NIGHTER FROM DJ`S LIKE KARL HEARD ETC.

I LIKE A DRIVING BEAT WITH A HAMMOND OR SAX BREAK IN THE MIDDLE,GOOD THREAD......NEIL.

Yep'spin a couple myself.......

Social source share

I LIKE A DRIVING BEAT WITH A HAMMOND OR SAX BREAK IN THE MIDDLE,NOT A STOP START GOING NOWHERE BEAT.

GOOD THREAD......NEIL.

Amen to that Neil.....

Social source share

Anyone out there in support of Butch's set & playlist that Ken is referring to ?

If Butch were to pursue that approach with some other like minded souls such as ... Keb Darge for example ... could it re-invigorate the northern scene ?

Bring in thousands of ... "young" people onto the scene ?

A totally new attitude and approach to northern soul ?

Is anyone frightened by all this ?

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

Love the record got two of em',its not choppy and changey is it? or deep,or hard or whatever is it,i know its not rare :thumbsup:

"Summer In The Parks" is probably the choppiest and most changey record that I've ever heard played on the northern soul scene. It's got a very messed up song structure and is heavily syncopated. The reason you don't think of it as an out-and-out funk tune is probably because you know it so well and that it's been a part of the northern soul pantheon for such a long time.

Social source share

Anyone out there in support of Butch's set & playlist that Ken is referring to ?

If Butch were to pursue that approach with some other like minded souls such as ... Keb Darge for example ... could it re-invigorate the northern scene ?

Bring in thousands of ... "young" people onto the scene ?

Im all for it to be honest f--k me its a fine line anyway,best of times,alot of the stuff posted on the funk thread sunrise movement,etc fits perfectly with todays scene imo,its peoples perceptions,check out the funk thread as a starting point and ask yourself this question why is someone like Butch playing alot of the stuff? Answer could be high soul content etc at the end of the day ive never heard him play a shit set yet.

As for young people,whole different debate with different rang of answers.

BAZ A

Social source share

Anyone out there in support of Butch's set & playlist that Ken is referring to ? Please

If Butch were to pursue that approach with some other like minded souls such as ... Keb Darge for example ... could it re-invigorate the northern scene ? No,it would be a different scene

Bring in thousands of ... "young" people onto the scene ? We ain't a youth club !!

Me :P don't want it, just the stuff i like tongue.gif And as for Kenneth Darge he ain't on the scene no-more he's just a novelty act wheeled on every now and then,what would Pete Lawson be thinkin' now he'd be doin' his nut.........

Summer in the parks isn't choppy and changy either,or deep or heavy.

Edited by ken
Social source share

I'm not a fan myself Ken, but I didn't notice too much of it, then again I was flitting around. The dancefloor seemed busy most of the night, but I'd be interseted in other people's thoughts.

I can see what Butch is doing to an extent and as long as he mixes it in with his other great records I'm not too worried.

I actually was more confused by Marco's set going down so well, I reckon most of his had a 10-40% funk element to them that was OK but a bit too much over what turned out to be a long set. However the dancefloor was always busy and Russ, James and others were loving it, perhaps it's the way the scene's going? I'm sure I need to get out more.

Social source share

Me :P don't want it, just the stuff i like tongue.gif And as for Kenneth Darge he ain't on the scene no-more he's just a novelty act wheeled on every now and then,what would Pete Lawson be thinkin' now he'd be doin' his nut.........

Summer in the parks isn't choppy and changy either,or deep or heavy.

post-1377-1232358607_thumb.jpg

Social source share

I actually was more confused by Marco's set going down so well, I reckon most of his had a 10-40% funk element to them that was OK but a bit too much over what turned out to be a long set. However the dancefloor was always busy and Russ, James and others were loving it, perhaps it's the way the scene's going? I'm sure I need to get out more.

laugh.gif

Mornin' Ady,yep floor was very busy and very messy i was in a dancin' mood big time and hyper and had nothing to do,but i don't think we would be seeing most of these folks out anytime soon at a distant allnighter not near you even if they played the stuff all night :P could be wrong tho.

Edited by ken
Social source share

This could have been a Northern monster, all the right ingredients, perfect beat, and irresistible on the feet , just like The Bottle ! :P

FATBACK BAND - WICKY WACKY

https://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NxwzjyDFSh8

quote]

It's a monster allright. Deserves to have a scene of it's own.

Yep ! :lol: next they'll be playing electro and doing flairs and moon walkin',or rock-a-billy all good in there own places. unsure.gif i bet you a bit of out and out Northern wouldn't go down to well at a propper funk club.

Edited by ken
Social source share

Respect Ken

That Ian Levine has a lot to answer for cos if it wasnt for him this thread would be lively beyond all belief cos JT would be on here now foaming at the mouth :lol::yes: joke btw rolleyes.gif

Northern with a twist of Funk i can handle but down and out dirty deep hard core funk :D:lol:

and as for that dinky winky tune put on here :P propa shite i tell thee :(

Social source share

Northern, Modern, 70's soul and Funk works mighty fine at our club...

Ste. :P

Is it a N/soul/nighter club,or somethin' else ? Mr B ! what is it,jack of all scenes masters of none ph34r.gif

Edited by ken
Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

Northern, Modern, 70's soul and Funk works mighty fine at our club...

Ste. wink.gif

P.S. It worked at the Wilton niter a week or two ago too when some good funky edged stuff was played, certainly didn't empty the dancefloor!

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

Is it a N/soul club,or somethin' else ? Mr B !

I'd rather not label it to be honest, we play a mix soul and Funk from all eras, if its good its good!

Social source share

So WHAT actually got played then, that got everyone in such a tizzy? Soul music is a broad spectrum, some of it has a straight four-four beat considered northern soul, some of it has a syncopated backbeat considered funk. And lots is somewhere in the middle...

I mean Frankie Crocker "Ton Of Dynamite" - that's considered a northern oldie, to my ears it sounds like a straight up funk track.

C'MON - name some offending tracks from the 100 Club... ph34r.gif

Social source share

So WHAT actually got played then, that got everyone in such a tizzy? Soul music is a broad spectrum, some of it has a straight four-four beat considered northern soul, some of it has a syncopated backbeat considered funk. And lots is somewhere in the middle...

I mean Frankie Crocker "Ton Of Dynamite" - that's considered a northern oldie, to my ears it sounds like a straight up funk track.

Will this tide of emotion get Butch on to the Forum ?

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

Is it a N/soul/nighter club,or somethin' else ? Mr B ! what is it,jack of all scenes masters of none ph34r.gif

Nobody is forcing you to come - Jesus!?

There is enough room on the scene for eclectic clubs such as ours, why should we follow the same old formula, there are loads of Soul clubs in the North and too be honest a 'typical' soul club just does not work in Leeds, many have tried and all have failed unfortunately? (Ok the Leeds central was popular many, many years ago i know..)

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

There is enough room on the scene for eclectic clubs such as ours, why should we follow the same old formula, there are loads of Soul clubs in the North and too be honest a 'typical' soul club just does not work in Leeds, many have tried and all have failed unfortunately? (Ok the Leeds central was popular many, many years ago i know..)

P.P.S Its hardly a radical move is it, venues like Cleethorpes etc have been doing it for decades...

Social source share

It asn't !it got me in a tizzy,and maybe others didnt like it and maybe others thought the same and i don't have a probblem with some funk in my soul,its the type funk and amount,if you wanna' listen to that allnight good on you you might aswell be at a funk club or start one.

Social source share

OK i won't.Ta

Social source share

In musical terms yes a lot of funk and Northern stuff does mix - it's proven by nights like Soul Spectrum in Edinburgh which blends and plays a broad spectrum of sounds, with almost equal emphasis, to a mainly young, non-NS scene audience who clearly love it. Obviously the kind of northern that is played alongside funk is chosen so as to not seem like it is just just thrown in at random.

In Northern scene terms obviously not, to a larger degree.

Growing up with soul music over the past 10-15 years and growing up with northern over the past 30 odd years, there are some pretty different ideas about how the spread of black music fits together.

Would be interested to know which funk records were played.

Social source share

Afternoon Ken

I was at 100 club on saturday (as you know) and I didn't think there wasn't anything outragously too funky, unless they were played whilst I was outside chatting.

Some of the new stuff/mixes that Butch is playing at the moment are great (IMHO) and may-be do have a more funkier feel if you like but in my opinion that is progression and makes a nice change from hear the same thing every time.

By the way Val, you would have loved it Marco was fab.

Edited by Nicola
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!