Deep Funk And N/soul What The Funkin' Hell

Well if they play that Wicky Wacky shite you posted then it will be a scene I no longer wish to be part of :P Anyway wouldn't it be a funk scene then not a northern scene :lol:

It's not a bad record but it ain't a Northern monster. If anyone does like that, then check out "Goin to see my Baby" and "Nija Walk" by them too. All on Perception.

ROD

Social source share

• Replies 225
  • Views 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

It's not a bad record but it ain't a Northern monster. If anyone does like that, then check out "Goin to see my Baby" and "Nija Walk" by them too. All on Perception.

ROD

Got "going to see my baby" my self Rod,wouldnt play it at a northern do ever tho' i do like it. :lol:

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

Personally i like to hear a few funk influenced Soul records at a Northern night but they will never get fully accepted by the majority of sixties purists many of whom dont even like "popular" Rare Soul records. If 7ts Soul and Crossover has a hard job being accepted at Northern nights then what hope is there for funk? It a battle not worth fighting

I love my Northern but equally love Modern/Crossover however I accept that at most Northern nights its a treat to hear a few 7ts records as this is not the norm for a Northern night.

Personally my ideal Soul night would be all styles of Soul in the one room Id go easy on the Soulful House stuff as most of it is shite bar the odd record.

Social source share

So it seems that you have played a bit of Soulful funk out n about then Ken ? :lol:

Sounds like the speeded up bootleg version to me !

Did you buy it off Keb ?

:no: gosh ! :P

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Personally my ideal Soul night would be all styles of Soul in the one room Id go easy on the Soulful House stuff as most of it is shite bar the odd record.

Unless you have top quality MDMA in your belly ................ :lol: Then its all FUNKY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

So it seems that you have played a bit of Soulful funk out n about then Ken ? :P

Sounds like the speeded up bootleg version to me !

Did you buy it off Keb ?

:P gosh ! :no:

I know,bad in it !! :D post loads of em' up,not deep funk tho'......check the funk thread.

And my last refoclip is funk,but i would play this out defo i would :lol:

Social source share

I know,bad in it !! :P post loads of em' up,not deep funk tho'......check the funk thread.

And my last refoclip is funk,but i would play this out defo i would :lol:

Hope all s well in Tottenham my big mate ! :no:

Stay cool ! Stay funky :P

BTW the Carl Jenkins 45 is Fuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnky !

Mossy

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

...the bottom line is Funk will always be part of the scene, it has been for decades, obviously some of it just doesn't work at a soul night and you either like it or you dont, but whatever happens its not gonna go away is it, i just dont understand all the fuss?!! :ohmy:

Ste.

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

Social source share

Personally i like to hear a few funk influenced Soul records at a Northern night but they will never get fully accepted by the majority of sixties purists many of whom dont even like "popular" Rare Soul records. If 7ts Soul and Crossover has a hard job being accepted at Northern nights then what hope is there for funk? It a battle not worth fighting

I love my Northern but equally love Modern/Crossover however I accept that at most Northern nights its a treat to hear a few 7ts records as this is not the norm for a Northern night.

i dont think Ken and i are saying Funk influenced tunes aint accepted or should never be but Deep funk i dont want to hear at a Northern nighter or a soul night, Soul - Funk are 2 different genres to me and always will be but soul with a funky twist or shall we call it crossover too then yes i do like,

this thread is about Ken hearing what he described as deep funk at the 100 Club and not a few funky tunes at a soul night :ohmy:

me i like 60s oldies or rare, crossover, 70s through to today but at an allnighter i would good northern sounding tunes with attitude so northern with a funky twist is just fine but not out and out funk please :lol:

Social source share

This topic mystifies me a bit. I thought Butch played maybe one record which might be classed as deep funk: I don't know what it was, sorry, but it was a long way from Fatback band style 70s street-funk as in the misleading Youtube clip above. He played an instrumental which can best be summarised as "Tighten Up with stings" but that's been on his playlist for at least the last six months as far as I can recall and has always received a really good reaction from the floor as it has a lot of identity and atmosphere.

I'd be interested to know what contributors feel about records like the Milton James 45 on Dor: so different from traditional northern in practically every respect but has been a staple of Butch's sets for some years now. I suppose because it's a sixties recording it escapes the ire of the purists.

I think both Butch and Marco played the Talmadge Amstrong cover-up, which while a long way from traditional uptown Northern Soul is a tremendously earthy southern obscurity with a lot of soul; similarly the Salt and Pepper 45 is also a long way from something like (off the top of my head) Lynne Randell; but to me it fits in perfectly with the ethos of the 100 Club: a basement in the middle of Cosmopolitan London, not a church-hall in rural Lincolnshire. It's also worth mentioning that Marco played a couple of things first time out like the Tempests and Precisions cover-ups which would be classed as classic group harmony Northern in anyone's book, so to characterise these sets as purely funky is slightly misleading.

I think the balance was just about right on Saturday, as the other deejays offered a counterpoint to what else was going on: Keith has his own thing going on with lighter and more melodic stuff, Mick threw a few classic oldies in and Ady offered a few unfamiliar sounds with the classic textures of (non-funky) uptown soul. To me the strength of the 100 Club has always been its eclecticism. Playing sets of largely unfamiliar records is sometimes going to be challenging and not everything is going to stick and become a classic, but I applaud the intention of trying to keep things fresh.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

This topic mystifies me a bit. I thought Butch played maybe one record which might be classed as deep funk: I don't know what it was, sorry, but it was a long way from Fatback band style 70s street-funk as in the misleading Youtube clip above. He played an instrumental which can best be summarised as "Tighten Up with stings" but that's been on his playlist for at least the last six months as far as I can recall and has always received a really good reaction from the floor as it has a lot of identity and atmosphere.

I'd be interested to know what contributors feel about records like the Milton James 45 on Dor: so different from traditional northern in practically every respect but has been a staple of Butch's sets for some years now. I suppose because it's a sixties recording it escapes the ire of the purists.

I think both Butch and Marco played the Talmadge Amstrong cover-up, which while a long way from traditional uptown Northern Soul is a tremendously earthy southern obscurity with a lot of soul; similarly the Salt and Pepper 45 is also a long way from something like (off the top of my head) Lynne Randell; but to me it fits in perfectly with the ethos of the 100 Club: a basement in the middle of Cosmopolitan London, not a church-hall in rural Lincolnshire. It's also worth mentioning that Marco played a couple of things first time out like the Tempests and Precisions cover-ups which would be classed as classic group harmony Northern in anyone's book, so to characterise these sets as purely funky is slightly misleading.

I think the balance was just about right on Saturday, as the other deejays offered a counterpoint to what else was going on: Keith has his own thing going on with lighter and more melodic stuff, Mick threw a few classic oldies in and Ady offered a few unfamiliar sounds with the classic textures of (non-funky) uptown soul. To me the strength of the 100 Club has always been its eclecticism. Playing sets of largely unfamiliar records is sometimes going to be challenging and not everything is going to stick and become a classic, but I applaud the intention of trying to keep things fresh.

Well put! :ohmy:

Social source share

I think this is a UK "thing" to have the soul music divided into separate genres and sometimes rooms. In a way I can understand it since it has it's origin there, but in Norway we've only have one therm and that is soul. For us that is northern, R&B, funk, x-over, modern, latin soul etc. and nobody care, or maybe I should say that they don't know any kind of separation.

IMO it's refreshing to hear different sounds at a long night :ohmy:

Thats exactly how it should be ....the uk thing is fucked up because of peoples dogma, categorising and imposing of rules. Ghetto Kitty, Beginning of the end, Francine Mcgee etc have all enjoyed success on the so called 'Northern Scene' back in the day. Its since then that people have become bitter and deaf. Norway sounds great....keep it up! :lol:

Social source share

Great post :ohmy:

Butch is always going to push the limits with his rare tunes wether 60s or newies to try and keep things fresh and yes to many it goes down well but you cant help what does tickle your fancy and you cant help what dont tickle your fancy, each and every soulie out there has a different taste and thank fook for that, 1 record can do it for me and another simply cant but the year of the record means nothing to me its about what really is in the groove, in general i not a fan of Funk but i am liking many "northerny" tunes with a funky twist and that is down to the likes of Butch and Soul Sam etc so if they keep keeping it fresh then thats fine by me but can we all like everything played :thumbup: enjoy what you like but keep it soulful for me :lol:

btw, Oldies always seem to be more popular with the dance floor at the 100 club to me, not saying rarer lesser played ones aint but when the known northern tracks gets played you try finding a space on that hallowed dance floor :thumbup:

Social source share

i dont think Ken and i are saying Funk influenced tunes aint accepted or should never be but Deep funk i dont want to hear at a Northern nighter or a soul night, Soul - Funk are 2 different genres to me and always will be but soul with a funky twist or shall we call it crossover too then yes i do like,

this thread is about Ken hearing what he described as deep funk at the 100 Club and not a few funky tunes at a soul night :ohmy:

me i like 60s oldies or rare, crossover, 70s through to today but at an allnighter i would good northern sounding tunes with attitude so northern with a funky twist is just fine but not out and out funk please :lol:

That is about right,Bearsy..........obviously N/soul is at a different place than me s'pose i'll get used to it or fed up,but what i do know is all these funky djs hardly go anywhere me i go out twice a week mostley for over 30 years and didnt hear any of this stuff last week i dont just go where i dj or follow Butch around allthough i think he's the best Nsoul dj ever when he's play nsoul ,as for eclecticism thats sounds like my record collection been told that more than once but i wouldnt play most of em' at a nighter.

Edited by ken
Social source share

Exactly, i've never understood the 'if its not 60's its s**t' crowd, i thankfully love all aspects of Soul, old or new and even though i dont understand the stick in the mud types it doesn't bother me enough to start a Soul source rant!

I just cannot understand what is so difficult to understand about this statement. Northern Soul is not funk. We don't want to listen to 'all aspects of soul' because most have f*ck all to do with the music we want to hear. Christ almighty.

"The Northern Soul scene was totally different to anything else which is why a lot of us got into it in the first place - different from mainstream soul, funk, disco - it was NORTHERN SOUL - and thats how it should have remained in my opinion. You don't go to a Northern Soul do and expect to hear funk".

Social source share

Not quite sure why you bring this record up as an example, it's has a Ramsey Lewis style backing and a thumping beat and is a typical mid 60's Northern sound.

Social source share

Thats exactly how it should be ....the uk thing is fucked up because of peoples dogma, categorising and imposing of rules. Ghetto Kitty, Beginning of the end, Francine Mcgee etc have all enjoyed success on the so called 'Northern Scene' back in the day. Its since then that people have become bitter and deaf. Norway sounds great....keep it up! :lol:

Why don't you move over there then :ohmy:

Social source share

Not quite sure why you bring this record up as an example, it's has a Ramsey Lewis style backing and a thumping beat and is a typical mid 60's Northern sound.

I think it's impossible to dance to in a Northern Soul style. Doesn't stop it being an interesting record and it fits well into the 100 Club atmosphere.

I forgot to mention that Butch also played Willie Tee's "You Gonna Pay Some Dues" in his first set: a classic, flowing midtempo fingersnapper and about as far from deep funk as it's possible to get!

Social source share

This could have been a Northern monster, all the right ingredients, perfect beat, and irresistible on the feet , just like The Bottle ! :ohmy:

FATBACK BAND - WICKY WACKY

https://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NxwzjyDFSh8

edited by site

if use the embedd features it dont interupt the flow

Didn't mind this in it's day if I accidently found myself in the Scarisbrick at Southport :thumbup:

But "Cat Walk" or "A little Bit Of Soul" It Ain't :lol:

Paul

Social source share

Why don't you move over there then :ohmy:

Wish I could Pete....sort it out and ill go. :thumbup: But, as i said ther are loads of examples of 'funk played over the years on the Northern scene! I hate the shite pop thats always gone hand in hand with Northern...to me its NOT northern, just shite pop...take Levines stuff as an example! But some call it Northern! Kiki f--king Dee, Camp, Johnny Vanelli, Harry Betts, Esperanto....your play box Pete :lol: Fact is the Northern Scene doesnt hold a singular definition. Its idiosyncratic and has always contained elements of funk, from Wigan through to the Mecca and beyond! Its only the musical bigots and those with closed ears that forget that.

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

i'll get used to it or fed up,but what i do know is all these funky djs hardly go anywhere me i go out twice a week mostley for over 30 years

I take it you are assuming that then?! In the last few weeks i've done an alnighter at Wigan and the the Wilton niter, i do my own club monthly,and will be attending Prestatyn in March and DJing at 'A taste of honey' in Manchester - not to mention anything that comes up inbetween, assuming i have enough money left after buying soul and Funk 45's??? I'm 40 years old and my love of the music stems back to my youth, i've also never dropped out since then so to suggest that because we are a bit more open minded than others on the scene makes us any less dedicated is complete and utter crap... :ohmy::lol:

Ste.

Edited by Ste Brazil
Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

Wish I could Pete....sort it out and ill go. :lol: But, as i said ther are loads of examples of 'funk played over the years on the Northern scene! I hate the shite pop thats always gone hand in hand with Northern...to me its NOT northern, just shite pop...take Levines stuff as an example! But some call it Northern! Kiki f--king Dee, Camp, Johnny Vanelli, Harry Betts, Esperanto....your play box Pete :ohmy: Fact is the Northern Scene doesnt hold a singular definition. Its idiosyncratic and has always contained elements of funk, from Wigan through to the Mecca and beyond! Its only the musical bigots and those with closed ears that forget that.

Amen to that.

Ste.

Social source share

Wish I could Pete....sort it out and ill go. :thumbup: But, as i said ther are loads of examples of 'funk played over the years on the Northern scene! I hate the shite pop thats always gone hand in hand with Northern...to me its NOT northern, just shite pop...take Levines stuff as an example! But some call it Northern! Kiki f--king Dee, Camp, Johnny Vanelli, Harry Betts, Esperanto....your play box Pete :thumbup: Fact is the Northern Scene doesnt hold a singular definition. Its idiosyncratic and has always contained elements of funk, from Wigan through to the Mecca and beyond! Its only the musical bigots and those with closed ears that forget that.

totally agree with most of that if not all especially the bit about Pete`s play box :thumbup:

you summed it up really and especially the highlighted bit, elements of funk but not out and out Funk :ohmy: and thats what this thread is all about, out and out funk at a northern nighter, ie the 100 Club, unless of course its not just a Northern night :thumbup: i know it 6ts but now im confused what its music policy really is :lol:

Ady :thumbup:

Social source share

Wish I could Pete....sort it out and ill go. :thumbup: But, as i said ther are loads of examples of 'funk played over the years on the Northern scene! I hate the shite pop thats always gone hand in hand with Northern...to me its NOT northern, just shite pop...take Levines stuff as an example! But some call it Northern! Kiki f--king Dee, Camp, Johnny Vanelli, Harry Betts, Esperanto....your play box Pete :ohmy: Fact is the Northern Scene doesnt hold a singular definition. Its idiosyncratic and has always contained elements of funk, from Wigan through to the Mecca and beyond! Its only the musical bigots and those with closed ears that forget that.

I'd take that after hearing that gospel shit you were playing :lol:

Social source share

totally agree with most of that if not all especially the bit about Pete`s play box :thumbup:

you summed it up really and especially the highlighted bit, elements of funk but not out and out Funk :lol: and thats what this thread is all about, out and out funk at a northern nighter, ie the 100 Club, unless of course its not just a Northern night :thumbup: i know it 6ts but now im confused what its music policy really is :thumbup:

Ady :thumbup:

This thread is about 1 track that was played on Saturday! Its ridiculous to be so closed minded as to not tolerate 1 track that was thought by some, who have a mis informed opinion of musical genres, to be 'Deep Funk'. :ohmy: Also, it didn't clear the floor. I was under the impression that 100 club was a rare soul venue? Is it really an oldies venue?

Social source share

I take it you are assuming that then?! In the last few weeks i've done an alnighter at Wigan and the the Wilton niter, i do my own club monthly,and will be attending Prestatyn in March and DJing at 'A taste of honey' in Manchester - not to mention anything that comes up inbetween, assuming i have enough money left after buying soul and Funk 45's??? I'm 40 years old and my love of the music stems back to my youth, i've also never dropped in since then so to suggest that because we are a bit more open minded than others on the scene makes us any less dedicated is complete and utter crap... :ohmy::lol:

Ste.

Didn't say you was any less dedicated just not to n/soul......thats it no more,if you happy thats ok by me,like i said i'll get used to it or fukc off somewhere else,i dont wanna' go to a rare disco end of......and this isnt a anti-funk thread,its a anti-totaly-crap-funk thread.

Edited by ken
Social source share

totally agree with most of that if not all especially the bit about Pete`s play box :no:

you summed it up really and especially the highlighted bit, elements of funk but not out and out Funk :ohmy: and thats what this thread is all about, out and out funk at a northern nighter, ie the 100 Club, unless of course its not just a Northern night :no: i know it 6ts but now im confused what its music policy really is :yes:

Ady laugh.gif

This thread is about 1 track that was played on Saturday! Its ridiculous to be so closed minded as to not tolerate 1 track that was thought by some, who have a mis informed opinion of musical genres, to be 'Deep Funk'. :rolleyes: Also, it didn't clear the floor. I was under the impression that 100 club was a rare soul venue? Is it really an oldies venue?

One record ? no it isn't and it ain't about wiki wiki bollox either.

Social source share

totally agree with most of that if not all especially the bit about Pete`s play box :lol:

you summed it up really and especially the highlighted bit, elements of funk but not out and out Funk :ohmy: and thats what this thread is all about, out and out funk at a northern nighter, ie the 100 Club, unless of course its not just a Northern night :no: i know it 6ts but now im confused what its music policy really is :yes:

Ady :lol:

This thread is about 1 track that was played on Saturday! Its ridiculous to be so closed minded as to not tolerate 1 track that was thought by some, who have a mis informed opinion of musical genres, to be 'Deep Funk'. :rolleyes: Also, it didn't clear the floor. I was under the impression that 100 club was a rare soul venue? Is it really an oldies venue?

No, Ken clearly said "Nearly a full set of them" So thats not being closed minded but i agree if it was 1 track then that could be tolerated but if it was tolerated does that then mean more Funk could be getting played because 1 was tolerated :no: I dont like out and out Funk but does that really qualify me to be closed minded huh.gif i like Ska, blue beat, Punk but i dont want to hear them and not even 1 tune at a Northern nighter and they have conections to black soul music wink.gif

im not saying the 100 Club is an Oldies venue but when a known northern tune "oldie" gets played it generally fills/packs the dance floor, like me i guess most accept that the music at the 100 Club is going to be a good mix up of what can be classed under northen umbrella but the thread is about Funk being played, not northern with a funky twist but Funk, some agree some dont :D

Social source share

totally agree with most of that if not all especially the bit about Pete`s play box :no:

you summed it up really and especially the highlighted bit, elements of funk but not out and out Funk :rolleyes: and thats what this thread is all about, out and out funk at a northern nighter, ie the 100 Club, unless of course its not just a Northern night :yes: i know it 6ts but now im confused what its music policy really is :ohmy:

Ady :no:

That's not what this thread is all about at all Bearsy - lets have it right - as a few people have already mentioned, there wasn't a single "hard core" or "out and out funk" track played at the 100 club all night, so what Kenny is really objecting to (and that's his prerogative) is the fact that much of what gets played by Butch (and I hold up my own hand here too - unashamedly!) is 60s and early 70s SOUL music that doesn't have the straight 4/4 rythm that some self-styled gatekeepers of the scene think is the criterion for a record to be played at a soul club.

Incidentally - worth mentioning that the 100 club is the 6ts rythm and soul society night - and has always had an idyosincratic take on NS. Think about all those beat ballads in the 80s! Or (bane of my life) all that RnB from the 90s onwards?

At the end of the day, the records that are getting played in the 'slightly funkier northern' category are just too good (nad too soulful!) to be ignored by just about any NS fan I know with any real feel for the music. That's why they keep getting requested. No one's trying to drag anyone into anything they don't want to get into (is that even possible?). If you don't like someone's set then go and have a chat with your like-minded mates for an hour or so - God knows me and my pals have all had to put up with crap sets of dull oldies or RnB for years now!

Edited by marco
Social source share

'I think both Butch and Marco played the Talmadge Amstrong cover-up'

Didn't realise Marco had that as well....thats a fantastic record....more stuff like that would be gratefully received imho

Well they all piss in the same pot,what do you expect.....records played twice thats not good either,i dont dance to crap anything well not out anyway :rolleyes: how about a soun-clip so we can make our own minds up.

Edited by ken
Social source share

Didn't realise Marco had that as well....thats a fantastic record....more stuff like that would be gratefully received imho

i didn't; but then even though i know i have heard it on a few occaisions i wouldnt know the Talmadge coverup if he got off his gigi and slapped me round the face with it. Both played roy roberts on sugar; which i am certainly not complaining about

Social source share

Dont know why its covered up, its been around a while.... :rolleyes: i aint talking though. :ohmy:

Social source share

That's not what this thread is all about at all Bearsy - lets have it right - as a few people have already mentioned, there wasn't a single "hard core" or "out and out funk" track played at the 100 club all night, so what Kenny is really objecting to (and that's his prerogative) is the fact that much of what gets played by Butch (and I hold up my own hand here too - unashamedly!) is 60s and early 70s SOUL music that doesn't have the straight 4/4 rythm that some self-styled gatekeepers of the scene think is the criterion for a record to be played at a soul club.

Incidentally - worth mentioning that the 100 club is the 6ts rythm and soul society night - and has always had an idyosincratic take on NS. Think about all those beat ballads in the 80s! Or (bane of my life) all that RnB from the 90s onwards?

At the end of the day, the records that are getting played in the 'slightly funkier northern' category are just too good (nad too soulful!) to be ignored by just about any NS fan I know with any real feel for the music. That's why they keep getting requested. No one's trying to drag anyone into anything they don't want to get into (is that even possible?). If you don't like someone's set then go and have a chat with your like-minded mates for an hour or so - God knows me and my pals have all had to put up with crap sets of dull oldies or RnB for years now!

Ken Clearly stated that nearly a whole set was Funk, others are argueing the corner that its not out and out funk but only 1 maybe 2 tunes have been identified and then the thread has moved around and about Funk being ok and people are closed minded if they dont accept anything but 60s,

me i like the lot that is soulful from 60s through to today, i really dont like Funk but i DO like Northern with a funky twist, its the new crossover :ohmy:

so is Funk accepted at a Northern night, thats where im getting a bit confused now as i thought the 100 Club was about soul and most things soulful, its not about if i dont like someones set cos you cant like them all, if Funk is going to be more predominant in the Northern scene then like Ken i wont want to go to them places that want to play it as there is a choice, but nplease why do people who play out and out funk insist on putting it on the northern crowd :rolleyes:

im sorry thats just my ignorent take on funk at a northern venue :yes:

Social source share

Dont know why its covered up, its been around a while.... :rolleyes: i aint talking though. :ohmy:

I didn't actually play it covered up! Didn't realise Butcher had - now I'm not talking....

Social source share

Wish I could Pete....sort it out and ill go. :yes: But, as i said ther are loads of examples of 'funk played over the years on the Northern scene! I hate the shite pop thats always gone hand in hand with Northern...to me its NOT northern, just shite pop...take Levines stuff as an example! But some call it Northern! Kiki f--king Dee, Camp, Johnny Vanelli, Harry Betts, Esperanto....your play box Pete :ohmy: Fact is the Northern Scene doesnt hold a singular definition. Its idiosyncratic and has always contained elements of funk, from Wigan through to the Mecca and beyond! Its only the musical bigots and those with closed ears that forget that.

Watch it Buddy!!! Kiki f--king Dee is the Dogs B****** round here...!

got that rockmasters by the way.... cheers Ears!!

mal :rolleyes:

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

I take it you are assuming that then?! In the last few weeks i've done an alnighter at Wigan and the the Wilton niter, i do my own club monthly,and will be attending Prestatyn in March and DJing at 'A taste of honey' in Manchester - not to mention anything that comes up inbetween, assuming i have enough money left after buying soul and Funk 45's??? I'm 40 years old and my love of the music stems back to my youth, i've also never dropped out since then so to suggest that because we are a bit more open minded than others on the scene makes us any less dedicated is complete and utter crap... :rolleyes::ohmy:

Ste.

I think this may be an age-gap thing. I wish I were 40!!

Im assuming if you were born in '68 you missed the formative years and what actually attracted some of us to the music/scene which was basically 60's 4/4 Motownesque 45s. I guess cos that was our first exposure we tend to use that as the template for what came after. How far it deviates from that would tend to influence our thinking on hearing new genres subsequently introduced. I think you can understand that if genres such as R&B or JB-style funk are brought within this rather wide church nowadays a sense of bemusement on our part is only natural when as Pete says we already had that choice years ago but rejected it.

I've no idea what got played at the 100 Club but I can't imagine it was anything too outrageous. The clips on this thread don't appear to be funk to me and unless Im mistaken "Fever" was a popular 45 around 72/73 [unless she's done another on De'Luxe apart from "See and don't see refosoul I think Paul is being a bit harsh in comparing the openess of the European scene to parts of our own. Im sure there are plenty on here who are eager to hear the new 60's discoveries whilst perhaps not being that interested in a more eclectic mix on a regular basis. I dont think the two scenes are coming from the same place.

ROD

Social source share

Im assuming if you were born in '68 you missed the formative years and what actually attracted some of us to the music/scene which was basically 60's 4/4 Motownesque 45s. I guess cos that was our first exposure we tend to use that as the template for what came after. How far it deviates from that would tend to influence our thinking on hearing new genres subsequently introduced. I think you can understand that if genres such as R&B or JB-style funk are brought within this rather wide church nowadays a sense of bemusement on our part is only natural when as Pete says we already had that choice years ago but rejected it.

I've no idea what got played at the 100 Club but I can't imagine it was anything too outrageous. The clips on this thread don't appear to be funk to me and unless Im mistaken "Fever" was a popular 45 around 72/73 [unless she's done another on De'Luxe apart from "See and don't see refosoul I think Paul is being a bit harsh in comparing the openess of the European scene to parts of our own. Im sure there are plenty on here who are eager to hear the new 60's discoveries whilst perhaps not being that interested in a more eclectic mix on a regular basis. I dont think the two scenes are coming from the same place.

ROD

I'd be as bemused as you if I heard JB's style funk at a soul do ROD - as bemused as I've been by the spread of RnB and early 60s "Trottover" sounds on the scene over the last 10 or 15 years... never heard Butch play either... thank the Lord

Social source share

I'd be as bemused as you if I heard JB's style funk at a soul do ROD - as bemused as I've been by the spread of RnB and early 60s "Trottover" sounds on the scene over the last 10 or 15 years... never heard Butch play either... thank the Lord

Im not saying you or Butch did play JB-style funk. I quite like it anyway. But I have heard "Think" Lynn Collins at Heywood a couple of years back which is epitome of JB style. Surprised but hey, it's a great record.

ROD

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

Im assuming if you were born in '68 you missed the formative years and what actually attracted some of us to the music/scene which was basically 60's 4/4 Motownesque 45s. I guess cos that was our first exposure we tend to use that as the template for what came after.

...and this is the same music that got me and many others into it. I still love this sound but i've broadened my horizons since then and love all aspects (well nearly all..not overly keen on R&B!?) of soul and its clear that to some degree (soulfull) Funk and Soul can be played alonside each other quite successfully, God knows its been happening for long enough! :rolleyes:

Social source share

ROD

I was born in 68 Rod so that could be that theory blown :rolleyes:

Social source share

I take your point Bearsy and Steve but maybe slightly different in that for the first 5 years or so until Mr. Levine 60's was the only thing we heard. Maybe 1% new releases in a throwback style such as "My man's a sweet man" or something.

Anyway stop backchatting your elders and get those bedrooms tidied up.

ROD

:rolleyes: the flat is spotless im a cracking house wife :ohmy:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!