Jackie Wilson

Guest soulboy

Guest soulboy

after almost 40 years of trying,can it get any better than Jackie Wilson?the first record i bought was Whispers 'gettin loader' and I just cant better it can you?

Social source share

• Replies 42
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

after almost 40 years of trying,can it get any better than Jackie Wilson?the first record i bought was Whispers 'gettin loader' and I just cant better it can you?

I think 'It only happens when I look at you' is a awesome track, a cover version originaly done by Deligation on 'State'

'I'm the one to do it' Is another great track and one of my favorites

Social source share

Agree :unsure: Whispers one of my faves along with " Im the one to do it " and " I dont want to lose your love" also love the lesser played "Try it again"..... so many great tunes and a voice to die for...... simply brilliant :huh:

Edited by Jem Brittin
Social source share

If you do find anything better, it just might be another Jackie Wilson record because he cut some amazing tracks.

Sometimes we take the most obvious things for granted.

One of the first records I ever bought was "I Get The Sweetest Feeling" which is as close to soul perfection as it gets.

Paul

Social source share

I think 'It only happens when I look at you' is a awesome track, a cover version originaly done by Deligation on 'State'

'I'm the one to do it' Is another great track and one of my favorites

We all have different tastes, Steve, but I think "It Only Happens When I Look At You" is mediocre when compared to Jackie's best work.

Jackie didn't sound very inspired, probably because the song was average and the track was a bit bland.

No disrespect, just my opinion.

Paul

Social source share

We all have different tastes, Steve, but I think "It Only Happens When I Look At You" is mediocre when compared to Jackie's best work.

Jackie didn't sound very inspired, probably because the song was average and the track was a bit bland.

No disrespect, just my opinion.

Paul

Agree Paul... but still a 'must own' 45 as it can be flipped for the wonderful "Just As Soon Is The Feeling Is Over" - Sam Dees Perfection!

:unsure:

Sean

Social source share

Agree Paul... but still a 'must own' 45 as it can be flipped for the wonderful "Just As Soon Is The Feeling Is Over" - Sam Dees Perfection!

Sean

Very true, Sean, and it was the last single to be issued on UK Brunswick (via Decca) in the BR 1 series. If not, then I'm one missing!

Not that I'm a sad completist or a train spotter.

:huh:

Social source share

Guest soulboy

Very true, Sean, and it was the last single to be issued on UK Brunswick (via Decca) in the BR 1 series. If not, then I'm one missing!

Not that I'm a sad completist or a train spotter.

where could i find a list of all his records i heard some one play a track by him may be ten years ago never heard it since ,now i kick my self for not finding out at the time Think it may have been at the lee manor ,

Social source share

Guest Aberdeen Soul

for myself it has to be

jackie wilson - you brought a change in me

fantastic intro :lol::D

Social source share

Is this thread saying there is no better male singer than Jackie Wilson? Chuck Jackson and Levi Stubbs for a start.

I think for sheer range of voice Jackie is the winner, also like David Ruffin his pitch was unbeleivable but then again trying to separate these four guys to see who is top is impossible imho

Lenny

Social source share

I think for sheer range of voice Jackie is the winner, also like David Ruffin his pitch was unbeleivable but then again trying to separate these four guys to see who is top is impossible imho

Lenny

Well my favourite Jackie Wilson songs are Haunted House and I Don't Want To Lose You.

Social source share

Guest FREEBIRD

Yep Jackie Wilson got to be up there, also Edwin Star for me and Mr Stubs, and and and... Im going to play all of them now............

Social source share

Yes you can, Jackie Wilson "Stop Lying" (IMHO)! LP track only.

First heard it only 12 months ago.

South Essex Soul Club anthem now, as spun by Mr Paul Mckay :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest soulboy

Is this thread saying there is no better male singer than Jackie Wilson? Chuck Jackson and Levi Stubbs for a start.

Love Chuck and Levi and 'Ask the lonely' is breathtaking ,but for me Jackie is the man he's just got the edge, I even like the 50s stuff ,And the great thing about him its all well with in my price range ,well most off it

Social source share

Love Chuck and Levi and 'Ask the lonely' is breathtaking ,but for me Jackie is the man he's just got the edge, I even like the 50s stuff ,And the great thing about him its all well with in my price range ,well most off it

Jackie's too inconsistent with all those schmaltzy clunkers scattered throughout. Great voice but the patchiness doesn't make him the greatest for me. Someone like James Brown or Otis Redding really captures the total package for me. Don't get me wrong, Jackie is great when he's on, tough to beat even, but if you listen to some of those 50s & 60s LPs & a bunch of those 45s it's tough to get through both sides without some gratuitous track skipping. Someone like Sam Cooke also suffered a bit with those early RCA sides. But I realise I'm kinda straying off the point of the argument. I'd like to add James carr to the list of great singers too (small 60s output compared to others, but all winners).

Social source share

Jackie's too inconsistent with all those schmaltzy clunkers scattered throughout. Great voice but the patchiness doesn't make him the greatest for me. Someone like James Brown or Otis Redding really captures the total package for me. Don't get me wrong, Jackie is great when he's on, tough to beat even, but if you listen to some of those 50s & 60s LPs & a bunch of those 45s it's tough to get through both sides without some gratuitous track skipping. Someone like Sam Cooke also suffered a bit with those early RCA sides. But I realise I'm kinda straying off the point of the argument. I'd like to add James carr to the list of great singers too (small 60s output compared to others, but all winners).

Cant agree with you on that.

As I have stated before on other threads about JW he is IMHO the greatest male singer to have walked this planet!. His versatility across 30 years and the styles from R&B, ballads, dancers etc, not to mention duets and his Count Basie stuff.

Name me a singer that can carry off that lot and I might consider them or even concede but none come to mind....not Marvin Gaye, James Brown, Curtis Mayfield Otis Redding, Sam Cooke et al.

The Man In Black

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

As I have stated before on other threads about JW he is IMHO the greatest male singer to have walked this planet!. His versatility across 30 years and the styles from R&B, ballads, dancers etc, not to mention duets and his Count Basie stuff.

Name me a singer that can carry off that lot and I might consider them or even concede but none come to mind....not Marvin Gaye, James Brown, Curtis Mayfield Otis Redding, Sam Cooke et al.

The Man In Black

Agree 100 %. The man's voice is an embodiment of perfection. Some of my faves, "Just be sincere," "You left the Fire Burning", "Try it Again", "Ive lost you" and the immortal "My heart is calling" and so many more.

This mans voice has brought me so much joy in my life. Thank you Jackie as the The Professionals sing "You pick me up whenever Im down."

Social source share

Jackie Wilson, Levi Stubbs, Sam Cooke, Chuck Jackson, Roy Hamilton all wonderful voices and singers.

Who's best.........................................it's a bit like saying diamonds are better than gold!!

Jackie is up there with all the other diamonds who, in my humble opinion, are just as golden as each other!!!!

That's how I see it. thumbsup.gif

I'll get me sickbag!!!

KTF.

Drew.

Social source share

The Man In Black

You name at least 3 of them in your post, Marvin, James & Sam have pretty much all those bases covered? With Marvin you'd hold him back for not doing an album of covers with a big band? With James would you hold him back on his duets with Lyn Collins & Marva Whitney vs Jackie with Lavern Baker & Linda Hopkins? Sam because he never had any duets with others that took off (although that one with him & Lou Rawls is pretty sweet). Even Otis because he never made a album with a big band? I mean I love Jackie as much as anyone else, but to put him infront of all these other singers just doesn't add up? Also the fact that Otis & Sam were taken out of the equation well before Jackie makes their accomplishments really impressive IMO. unsure.gif:g: I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on this. :rolleyes: Very interesting discussion though.

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Well apart from Sam Cooke. Jackie Wilson is my No 1 soul singer

Whatcha Gonna Do About Love is fantastic and rarely played. I Get The Sweetest Feeling prefect

But my all time fav of his is Open The Door To Your Heart which i have on LP. Want it on Aussie EP now.

Social source share

it seems that a lot of people are basing judgement of best male singer on the aggregate value of the person's total output of material, but (just in terms of voice quality) i would submit howard tate or even bobby taylor as some of the greatest male voices. what do you think?

Edited by ljblanken
Social source share

Just to hi-jack a bit but I remember me, Rich and Duncan (The Three Sullies) getting the 4.20 to Euston, on the way to the 100's Club (about '84 maybe, somebody'll correct me) and reading in Black Echoes that 'The Man' had turned off Jackie's life support system (Something to do if I remember correctly with wranglings over the deciding 1% ownership of Brunswick records - this may be one of my urban Soul myths, but hey).

We were playing flyer tennis in 1st class going through Rugby I think, at the time and I spilled my tin of Labatts and started to mop it up with this toffee bag I found on the table....it started to fizz up like yellow sherbert...whence I realised it was our bag of Dexy's that I had foolishly used as a dish-cloth.

Anyway, amidst this, I remember getting all schoolboy emotional about the wrongness of all this, as you do....then getting off at Euston, hiding our toffee bag in one of the garden squares opposite Euston TS and then exiting the 100's Club in the morning and forgetting which square we left them in.

This happened every 100's Club journey btw.

Good times, sad times...both of which sat either side of a belting excursion to a Nighter or a nightmare of a lift home from some irrelevant other.

(Or Brian Rae....each lift courtesy of Brian was a story alone.)

Anyone remember Cliff White?

One of Bri's mate's, compiler for Charly Records - I used to stay at Cliffs prior to the early 100's Club outings - his missus was a white witch.

Fantastic cork filled walls in his houser retro 60's plastic couches and floor to ceiling 7" racks.

A la Brian though, terrible jumpers.

Social source share

It's no secret that Jackie's my favourite singer. Solely because his wealth of emotion. This man could read a Spot The Dog book and give you shivers. Although I agree that not all of Jackie's output has been soulful at times, his unquestionable vocal range and gymnastics on those tracks are still sublime.

His version of Danny Boy I still cite as the greatest vocal performance of all time. I'd like anyone to put a record in front of me that can stand next to that in terms of absolute tonality, grace and emotion. Regularly brings a tear. Interesting to her that very early version he did on Gee when he was only 18. Though good, it just pales in comparison to his Brunswick attempt.

Probable favourite of mine is No Pity In The Naked City which I thought was superb until I heard the LIVE version which is even better!

He's actually listed in my itunes under 'God'.

M

x

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!