100 Club Allnighter 17 January

Geoff

Am I the first person to have surfaced after the 100 Club allnighter?

Just a very brief overview of my visit to there last night.

I think I enjoyed last night more than any of my previous visits. Great music and loads of my friends.

Got a nasty shock as I opened the front door to leave, rain bucketing down. And a 15 minute walk to the railway station, difficult to park there so the car was out. A real job to keep the brolly up and felt a bit like a drowned rat when I got there.

I had hummed and hawwed all day whether to go that night, I'd been to the triple birthday bash in Letchworth on Friday night and got to bed at 3.30am and felt rough. Also had family problems that made me feel going out might be considered inappropriate. But in the end commonsense prevailed and I decided to go; I knew that if I didn't I'd just be sitting around at home feeling fed up.

It was probably about 10.45 when I arrived there, Oxford Street was pretty empty and I wondered if it would be quieter as a consequence of the weather. I was wrong, it filled up fairly quickly, obviously rain can't stop soul people enjoying themselves.

After dropping off my coat and bag I went in and Toby kindly bought me a drink, tonic water only last night. Sat down with Rbman and Sheila, thanks for putting up with me, was I talking rubbish as usual? Hope not.

Nice to see Suzy and Jill, hope you enjoy the CD Suzy, long time coming I know, my apologies.

Great to see Arthur and Maria, don't see enough of them these days, but will be at the next Boomerang. I appreciate your advice Maria. And nice to meet Keith Money.

As usual some really good music, thanks to all the DJs. So many tunes that I didn't know, or some I have heard before, but title, artiste, etc unknown to me. As usual my mind is a bit of a blank, if anyone can remember what was played I'd appreciate it. I remember dancing to Don't Pretend, Sha La La, Dream Girl, I Need Your Love (fantastic record imo), My Baby's Got ESP. The Time Is Right For Love, must have been more. I do remember Keith Money playing She'll Come Running Back, a favourite of mine, as I had to go to the gents.

The dance floor was rammed for a good part of the evening, as the crowd thinned out, there was more room.

Eventually it was time to depart and out in to the cold of a Sunday morning in Oxford Street.

Getting over it a bit now, but definitely an early night tonight.

Thanks to Ady and the other DJs for a great night.

• Replies 29
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just a very brief overview of my visit to there last night.

I think I enjoyed last night more than any of my previous visits. Great music and loads of my friends.

Got a nasty shock as I opened the front door to leave, rain bucketing down. And a 15 minute walk to the railway station, difficult to park there so the car was out. A real job to keep the brolly up and felt a bit like a drowned rat when I got there.

I had hummed and hawwed all day whether to go that night, I'd been to the triple birthday bash in Letchworth on Friday night and got to bed at 3.30am and felt rough. Also had family problems that made me feel going out might be considered inappropriate. But in the end commonsense prevailed and I decided to go; I knew that if I didn't I'd just be sitting around at home feeling fed up.

It was probably about 10.45 when I arrived there, Oxford Street was pretty empty and I wondered if it would be quieter as a consequence of the weather. I was wrong, it filled up fairly quickly, obviously rain can't stop soul people enjoying themselves.

After dropping off my coat and bag I went in and Toby kindly bought me a drink, tonic water only last night. Sat down with Rbman and Sheila, thanks for putting up with me, was I talking rubbish as usual? Hope not.

Nice to see Suzy and Jill, hope you enjoy the CD Suzy, long time coming I know, my apologies.

Great to see Arthur and Maria, don't see enough of them these days, but will be at the next Boomerang. I appreciate your advice Maria. And nice to meet Keith Money.

As usual some really good music, thanks to all the DJs. So many tunes that I didn't know, or some I have heard before, but title, artiste, etc unknown to me. As usual my mind is a bit of a blank, if anyone can remember what was played I'd appreciate it. I remember dancing to Don't Pretend, Sha La La, Dream Girl, I Need Your Love (fantastic record imo), My Baby's Got ESP. The Time Is Right For Love, must have been more. I do remember Keith Money playing She'll Come Running Back, a favourite of mine, as I had to go to the gents.

The dance floor was rammed for a good part of the evening, as the crowd thinned out, there was more room.

Eventually it was time to depart and out in to the cold of a Sunday morning in Oxford Street.

Getting over it a bit now, but definitely an early night tonight.

Thanks to Ady and the other DJs for a great night.

Good to see everyone.................thought Marco Santucci played a hoofin' set of dance floor soul.............didnt expect anything less from him, PM me a playlist buddy :huh: ?...............really was the best set of the night for me, or deffo on a par with Butch's first....stomping, funky, soulful, cutting edge Rare Soul & really not for the faint hearted..............more of the same psse :unsure: .

Russ

Brilliant , brilliant nighter at the 100 club again,i must agree with the burger flipper Russ :lol: ,Marco's set was f***ing great,

Thanks go to everyone who joined me in my birthday celebrations last night,what a great way to have a birthday do at the 100 club among friends,cheers Ady C you done it again you made an old man very happy last night i just love this place...thanks.

off to bed again now

Toby.

another top night down the cellar,nice to see a few old faces,Gilly.i think your journey was worth the drive down from the east midlands to hear Little ann from Ady,

Greg,good to meet up with you mate ,your donation to the Rimmer taxi fund will be much appreciated from dave..

Ady & Pete,i don,t like cricket ,i love it ya. get your bat ready for Madrid, ,and a shock appearance from Joe Dunlop,also Toby,& Steve & Dave,Russ thanks for the cd mate, .

well done to Ady and all the possi, but a special mention to the guest dj Marco 60 mins of brilliance mate

till next time be good

Mick

another top night down the cellar,nice to see a few old faces,Gilly.i think your journey was worth the drive down from the east midlands to hear Little ann from Ady,

Greg,good to meet up with you mate ,your donation to the Rimmer taxi fund will be much appreciated from dave..

Ady & Pete,i don,t like cricket ,i love it ya. get your bat ready for Madrid, ,and a shock appearance from Joe Dunlop,also Toby,& Steve & Dave,Russ thanks for the cd mate, .

well done to Ady and all the possi, but a special mention to the guest dj Marco 60 mins of brilliance mate

till next time be good

Mick

Is that Gilly that used to frequent "The George", Wilby, Northants?

If so, I haven't seen him for decades. If I hadn't been laid up with flu I'd have been there too.

- Kev.

Had another great night down the 100 club especially after the horrendous weather conditions on the journey down.

Lovely to see so many friends. Nice to see Chuddy looking well but especially lovely to see Dave Russell who was home for a brief visit from Australia.

All the dj's did the business but I would have to agree with Russ and Toby, Marco played a blinder and had me up dancing more than several times.

Steve C lovely talking to you and thanks for your copy of Russ's CD if I can get it from Pete.

Edited by Nicola

Marco was excellent, especially nice to hear him play The Universals. Top work!

And didn't the Creations on Globe sound good. And one of my favourites Marco played Don and Debbie. Best stop now or I will list loads.

Edited by Nicola

And didn't the Creations on Globe sound good. And one of my favourites Marco played Don and Debbie. Best stop now or I will list loads.

Hey Nicola, i'm following you :D

100club was excellent, great seeing some many old faces...had a right laugh!

Keith money was tops and marco :thumbsup: Eric Mercury! sell it to me now lol.

see ya all in Feb

Greg

Good to see everyone.................thought Marco Santucci played a hoofin' set of dance floor soul.............didnt expect anything less from him, PM me a playlist buddy :D ?...............really was the best set of the night for me, or deffo on a par with Butch's first....stomping, funky, soulful, cutting edge Rare Soul & really not for the faint hearted..............more of the same psse :thumbsup: .

Russ

Good summary Russ, Marco did the set of the night! Butch followed Marcos second set and was on fire and then stopped after 6 records? Why was that.? Anyway had a good time, apart from the rain! :D

Best 100 club I've been to in a while. Good company and great sets from all the DJs. Loved Vee Vee, "I'm Your Fool" that Marco played...new to me but not to all those round me.... and see one for sale on here in December. Also a record Butch played in his second set...RnB style northern but didn't find anyone who knew it and was at the bar at the time so didn't get to ask Butch what it was.

Maria was in good form and nice to chat to Keith Money and thank him for DJing the previous night in Letchworth.

Hadn't been to the 100 for about a year or so. Thoroughly enjoyed it especially Marco's fresh sounding set. It was an exceptional set.

So good to see top DJ's travelling to an event when they weren't DJing. Loads of faces I ain't seen for yonks with the exception of Gilly and Nicola (nice chatting by the way).

Top night, cheers Ady. :thumbsup:

Wanted to have a proper chat Paul, but after a brief hello early doors got sucked into the whole Nighter thing & never did get round to it. Need you to give me a review of that CD Nicola, as it took three bloody weeks to produce...........my first !!!!...........also what was the funky instrumental Butch played in his second set..........anyone ???, the sound was really distorted Saturday & I found it quite hard to hear most things properly, or was that just me with me Nighter ears on.

Russ

[='paul-s' date='Jan 19 09, 01:05 PM' post='977017']

Good to see everyone.................thought Marco Santucci played a hoofin' set of dance floor soul.............didnt expect anything less from him, PM me a playlist buddy :thumbup: ?...............really was the best set of the night for me, or deffo on a par with Butch's first....stomping, funky, soulful, cutting edge Rare Soul & really not for the faint hearted..............more of the same psse :thumbup: .

Russ

Good summary Russ, Marco did the set of the night! Butch followed Marcos second set and was on fire and then stopped after 6 records? Why was that.? Anyway had a good time, apart from the rain! :(

Wanted to have a proper chat Paul, but after a brief hello early doors got sucked into the whole Nighter thing & never did get round to it. Need you to give me a review of that CD Nicola, as it took three bloody weeks to produce...........my first !!!!...........also what was the funky instrumental Butch played in his second set..........anyone ???, the sound was really distorted Saturday & I found it quite hard to hear most things properly, or was that just me with me Nighter ears on.

Russ

[='paul-s' date='Jan 19 09, 01:05 PM' post='977017']

As soon as I get the said cd from Pete I will let you know what I think. As for that instumental it was very good wasn't it. Several people were asking what it is. Unfortunately I don't know what the title is.

Nicola :thumbup:

My first time at the 100 Club, and enjoyed myself :D . Have to agree that Marco's set was a belter (and apologies to Kenny for requesting The Superb's "Wind In My Sails" - choppy/stoppy/starty funky soul!).

Couple of things that struck me; firstly, there seemed to be some quite mouldy oldies played on Saturday night - was the balance/mix of sounds on Saturday typical for the 100 Club these days? Secondly, thought the sound was very distorted at times - or was that just me? :wicked:

Russ

Your right. The sound system was bad! Very distorted.

Your right. The sound system was bad! Very distorted.

Were you standing/sitting on the record sales side of the club?...I think the speaker over the piano can often sound muffled when the volume is pushed up too much. We were sat against the wall near to the lady's WC and commented several time about distortion. It sounded ok whenever i went to the bar side of the club.

Done The 100 - Had a Short Stay -Saw A LOT of Mates Old & New - Better Than Not Going At All - Had a Great Night - Sadly I Missed Marco's Spot - I Shall Endevour to Stay Next Time for Your Spot Marco - & Who was the Guy in The Red Gingham Button Down Collar Shirt ? Reminded me of a Young Sean Adams

Keep @ It

Jon Buck

My first time at the 100 Club, and enjoyed myself :lol: . Have to agree that Marco's set was a belter (and apologies to Kenny for requesting The Superb's "Wind In My Sails" - choppy/stoppy/starty funky soul!).

Couple of things that struck me; firstly, there seemed to be some quite mouldy oldies played on Saturday night - was the balance/mix of sounds on Saturday typical for the 100 Club these days? Secondly, thought the sound was very distorted at times - or was that just me? :shades:

Hi Richard,

Thanks for coming down. There was about the usual amount of oldies for a 100 Club do. Since the 10pm start we have tended to play a few to get people warmed up but apart from that and perhaps a slightly higher percentage from Mick than usual, i don't think it was exceptional. I don't think Keith Butch or Marco played many/any. Even through the days of Stafford, we always stuck a few of the best oldies in to cater for the occasional punters who like them.

We had a different sound engineer this time and I don't think the balance was right. However a bigger problem is aging DJ ears, myself included, not being able to gauge the sound particularly as the night goes on and ears get tired. Usually it's just too loud and distorting. Russ mentioned it to me once and I adjusted it but please ANYONE feel free to tell me, particularly if it's too loud.

Good summary Russ, Marco did the set of the night! Butch followed Marcos second set and was on fire and then stopped after 6 records? Why was that.? Anyway had a good time, apart from the rain! :shades:

As naughty Marco had missed his first set, Butch gave him a quarter hour of his second, I'm not sure if he'd realised I'd already jigged things around to give him a full 45 mins anyway.

Hi Richard,

Thanks for coming down. There was about the usual amount of oldies for a 100 Club do. Since the 10pm start we have tended to play a few to get people warmed up but apart from that and perhaps a slightly higher percentage from Mick than usual, i don't think it was exceptional. I don't think Keith Butch or Marco played many/any. Even through the days of Stafford, we always stuck a few of the best oldies in to cater for the occasional punters who like them.

We had a different sound engineer this time and I don't think the balance was right. However a bigger problem is aging DJ ears, myself included, not being able to gauge the sound particularly as the night goes on and ears get tired. Usually it's just too loud and distorting. Russ mentioned it to me once and I adjusted it but please ANYONE feel free to tell me, particularly if it's too loud.

Ageing ears? lol now that did make me laugh :shades::lol:

See ya Monday 2nd Mr C.

Greg

Gilly (not the Northants one kevin), Joe Dunlop, Chuddy, Dave, Brian Murray and even Don Cluck; what a night for old friends to return. I was very happy with the turn out for a crappy January night and as Russ said nice to see DJs Arthur fenn, Carl, Mick H and even Paul Sadot sampling the south. Thanks to all the attendees and DJs for a rare old night; I even managed a very tired dance myself about 5.15 am.