Current Monsters Ect Ect

Guest gordon russell

Guest gordon russell

see a lot of times venues that print in their blurb or post on here......oldies,60's,70's best of crossover and rare and current biggies...as a lot of these venues are what we might call LOCAL ....l question their use of rare and current biggies.As l can't get the rare quality stuff where l live and have to travel to hear the class tunes that l want to...so should they use these terms if they are not gonna be playing these records........whats ya thoughts.....tezza

Social source share

• Replies 26
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Current monsters would be with certain DJ's and not venues dont you think Terry ?

:huh:

yep. surely that's ONE OF the reason's why these so called 'top dj's' get the bookings...

because there are ovo local venue's out there who want to bring rare current biggie's to their venue..

:unsure::D

Jayne.x

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Current monsters would be with certain DJ's and not venues dont you think Terry ?

:unsure:

well exactly.....only certain dj's will have the big sounds and the current biggies ect.....so if none of these fellas are djing...who's gonne be playing the current rareties....l ask myself :huh:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

see a lot of times venues that print in their blurb or post on here......oldies,60's,70's best of crossover and rare and current biggies...as a lot of these venues are what we might call LOCAL ....l question their use of rare and current biggies.As l can't get the rare quality stuff where l live and have to travel to hear the class tunes that l want to...so should they use these terms if they are not gonna be playing these records........whats ya thoughts.....tezza

I've used the term 'current nighter sounds' in our blurb because we'll be playing stuff like Little Archie (played at 100 Club) Guitar Slim (played at Burnley) and Carl Holmes (played at Middleton amongst other places). I'm pretty sure Karl and Killa and Callum will provide the rarities and other top sounds. We don't believe local soul nights should restrict themselves to so-called 'soul night' faire, current top nighter sounds should be played out everywhere. Hopefully our music policy is clear.

If you're not getting what is being advertised in your area Terry you should get yourself along to Move On on Friday. It'll do exactly what it says on the tin. :unsure:

Social source share

I've used the term 'current nighter sounds' in our blurb because we'll be playing stuff like Little Archie (played at 100 Club) Guitar Slim (played at Burnley) and Carl Holmes (played at Middleton amongst other places). I'm pretty sure Karl and Killa and Callum will provide the rarities and other top sounds. We don't believe local soul nights should restrict themselves to so-called 'soul night' faire, current top nighter sounds should be played out everywhere. Hopefully our music policy is clear.

If you're not getting what is being advertised in your area Terry you should get yourself along to Move On on Friday. It'll do exactly what it says on the tin. :D

Oo-err Tezza, whilst I share in particular the Burnley "ethos" with your goodself,....If work allows I wouldn't mind the "musical fayre" that the forthcoming Coventry "doo" in particular, should offer as it's both pretty local, and Sounds pretty awesome, irrelevant of what time it starts or finishes.(wish there was more of this ilk that I knew about personally!)...The DJ line up sounds pretty decent also :huh: ....The point is I suppose, is in reference to "doing exactly what it says.. etc..." :lol: cheers wilxy

Social source share

Could be wrong but isnt terry refering to the more exclusive c/ups rareitys one offs etc played by the likes of butch sam dyson fortnum etc that can only be heard at certain venues.

To generalise and say local nights don't play the rare and current biggies, I'd disagree.

Rare soul, current biggies, exclusive c/ups, one off's etc can be heard anywhere that the promoter's got the imagination to get the right DJ's in & explain what you want from them when you book them.

I wouldn't say any thing could only be heard at certain venue's. (unless you got a DJ who'll only play at certain places of course)

I can think of Ginger, Carl Willingham, Kenny Burrell, Mick H, Bob Hinsley, Robbo, Sam, loads of Dj's who have rare pieces / c/ups etc who DJ at local soul nights as well as venue's who advertise that their music policy is rare etc around here.

If I went somewhere that advertised rare etc on their flyer and didn't deliver, I'd complain and not go back!.

Jayne.

Social source share

To generalise and say local nights don't play the rare and current biggies, I'd disagree.

Rare soul, current biggies, exclusive c/ups, one off's etc can be heard anywhere that the promoter's got the imagination to get the right DJ's in & explain what you want from them when you book them.

I wouldn't say any thing could only be heard at certain venue's. (unless you got a DJ who'll only play at certain places of course)

I can think of Ginger, Carl Willingham, Kenny Burrell, Mick H, Bob Hinsley, Robbo, Sam, loads of Dj's who have rare pieces / c/ups etc who DJ at local soul nights as well as venue's who advertise that their music policy is rare etc around here.

If I went somewhere that advertised rare etc on their flyer and didn't deliver, I'd complain and not go back!.

Jayne.

Off course the above djs play local soul nites,but if you think for one minute they play the same set at a local nite as they do at some of the niters they are resident at [and all but one of the djs youve named is either resident or a regular guest for soultown]you are wrong.And the way i read terrys post i think he meant the more exclusive sounds that are not played at the majority of soul nites,as what they consider rare to what is considered rare at some niters is entirely different,but is i said i could be wrong im sure terry will clarify this.

Social source share

"current biggies",....you're all wrong - there are loads of 'biggies' in the last few years that are available to the local soul nite...

nino Tempo; soul brothers six; ruby andrews; dj genesis; chuck jackson etc etc

all biggies (in their time) and not restricted to certain venues or DJ's and at a soul nite near you...

(good reason to stay away from those venues, but thats not the point)

Social source share

"current biggies",....you're all wrong - there are loads of 'biggies' in the last few years that are available to the local soul nite...

all biggies (in their time) and not restricted to certain venues or DJ's and at a soul nite near you...

Trust you dave :D heard you knocked em dead at burnley :lol: .

Social source share

Could be wrong but isnt terry refering to the more exclusive c/ups rareitys one offs etc played by the likes of butch sam dyson fortnum etc that can only be heard at certain venues.

You could easily be wrong, because it's sometimes a job understanding what Darcy is on about! wink.gif

However, I think you are probably right and was going to say something similar to the following:

It probably is the point Dave IMHO.

And another point is that the promoters of such events seldom go anywhere so how can they be expected to know what are the nighter biggies?

I was talking to one such promoter recently who thinks Joe Jama is an exciting new discovery. :thumbsup:

Social source share

You could easily be wrong, because it's sometimes a job understanding what Darcy is on about! wink.gif

However, I think you are probably right and was going to say something similar to the following:

It probably is the point Dave IMHO.

And another point is that the promoters of such events seldom go anywhere so how can they be expected to know what are the nighter biggies?

I was talking to one such promoter recently who thinks Joe Jama is an exciting new discovery. :thumbsup:

I made my post with terry in mind and the kind of venue[i think] he prefers it wasnt any kind of slur against soul clubs,but niter rareitys and soul club rareitys are usualy different as are the spots the top djs play at these venues.Obviously there are soul nites around that are the exception such as the dda holmes chapel and by the sound of it matts nite etc but im sure terry was reffering to the more run of the mill soul nite.

Edited by Soultown andy
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

what l mean in case you don't know what i'm about biggrin.gif .I don't mind how dishonest,dodgy,crooked,tax evading,stuff off the back of a lorry ect ect a person is....l do like honest straight folk on this scene even if they're dodgy off ,of it,if that makes sense what l don't like is when we see venues that post current biggies.....which l take to mean the likes of milton james,marj singtory,mac statten,mello souls ect,not nessesarily one offs.What you get is oldies,motown and the odd reactivated thing,because when you go along not only has the night been mis presented you've paid good money for that privalige.I have no venue in mind,but you see it all the time,you look at the dj line up and just know they won't have the tunes that it says on the tin,so THEY SHOULDN'T DO IT...there hope thats clearer....atb tezza

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Jayne.

l am not saying,current biggies don't get played at soul nites....when they've shipped in a dj who might have some of em.......it's when they have a bunch of blokes djing who you know full well have got nowt but tired old bootlegs a bit of motown and some carvers to boot biggrin.gif .go on now find some other obscure scenario when we all know full well what l mean.All i'm saying is if you ain't playing something don't say you are just to get folks through the door.....atb glasnost tezza :P

Social source share

well exactly.....only certain dj's will have the big sounds and the current biggies ect.....so if none of these fellas are djing...who's gonne be playing the current rareties....l ask myself :yes:

Tezza, Could it be that well known couple, Vin L Carver & Bootsy Leg? :lol: Or even that lady Ree Issue. whistling.gif

Take care,be safe & remember, "Saturday,Saturday,Saturday....Saturday,Saturday, Saturday",

Spot. :P

Edited by spot
Social source share

Trust you dave :Dheard you knocked em dead at burnley thumbsup.gif .

No but he nearly dropped dead with with gut rot after playing a top spot. :P

I have no venue in mind,but you see it all the time,you look at the dj line up and just know they won't have the tunes that it says on the tin.

Tezza, Think you've answered your own question there, we know one look at the line up (except Stoke, Kings Hall) tells you exactly what your going to get, it's like the "Across the Board" line which is seldom true, so you choose wisely Grasshopper & go where the music take takes you. :yes:

Take care,be safe & remember, "I'll be seeing you, in all the old familiar places",

Spot. :lol:

Social source share

Off course the above djs play local soul nites,but if you think for one minute they play the same set at a local nite as they do at some of the niters they are resident at [and all but one of the djs youve named is either resident or a regular guest for soultown]you are wrong.And the way i read terrys post i think he meant the more exclusive sounds that are not played at the majority of soul nites,as what they consider rare to what is considered rare at some niters is entirely different,but is i said i could be wrong im sure terry will clarify this.

I don't think you are wrong -that's why I said it's upto the promotors to tell the DJ's what they're looking for from them when they book them,

or yes, doesn't matter what's in the box, they'll play a safe and boring set. The fault of the promoter and if they want dj's to play safe 'floor filling' sets, they should change what they advertise on their flyers. As I said, I just wouldn't go back.

Jayne.

Social source share

l am not saying,current biggies don't get played at soul nites....when they've shipped in a dj who might have some of em.......it's when they have a bunch of blokes djing who you know full well have got nowt but tired old bootlegs a bit of motown and some carvers to boot :D .go on now find some other obscure scenario when we all know full well what l mean.All i'm saying is if you ain't playing something don't say you are just to get folks through the door.....atb glasnost tezza :D

no, there isn't any other obscure scenario, not that I can think of.

I totally agree with you they shouldn't advertise something they don't offer.

My point is that not all soul nites are like that though.. :thumbsup:

Jayne.

Social source share

what l mean in case you don't know what i'm about :thumbup: .I don't mind how dishonest,dodgy,crooked,tax evading,stuff off the back of a lorry ect ect a person is....l do like honest straight folk on this scene even if they're dodgy off ,of it,if that makes sense what l don't like is when we see venues that post current biggies.....which l take to mean the likes of milton james,marj singtory,mac statten,mello souls ect,not nessesarily one offs.What you get is oldies,motown and the odd reactivated thing,because when you go along not only has the night been mis presented you've paid good money for that privalige.I have no venue in mind,but you see it all the time,you look at the dj line up and just know they won't have the tunes that it says on the tin,so THEY SHOULDN'T DO IT...there hope thats clearer....atb tezza

It was always perfectly clear to me,and i fully agree with you.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

remembered today an incident about a year ago....shan't mention the venue but it had advertised current monsters ect ect.l went along not expecting anything special.halfway through the night l went and asked the dj (reasonably well known) if he could play funky funky betty brooks....he said "sorry mate! don't play funk records" so l said with a wry smile "ok" "can you play billy davis stanky get funky" and he replied "l just said!! l don't play funk records"....well l almost pissed me pants laughing.They advertised current monsters and rare dancers ect ect.....he never even knew these well known funky tunes that were being played everywhere that l go lol :lol::lol::rolleyes: ......what hope is there....tezza

Social source share

remembered today an incident about a year ago....shan't mention the venue but it had advertised current monsters ect ect.l went along not expecting anything special.halfway through the night l went and asked the dj (reasonably well known) if he could play funky funky betty brooks....he said "sorry mate! don't play funk records" so l said with a wry smile "ok" "can you play billy davis stanky get funky" and he replied "l just said!! l don't play funk records"....well l almost pissed me pants laughing.They advertised current monsters and rare dancers ect ect.....he never even knew these well known funky tunes that were being played everywhere that l go lol laugh.gif:lol:laugh.gif ......what hope is there....tezza

its all a matter of perspective really - what is called a 'current biggie' may well be considered 'old hat' - depending where you are, when you are there, and what DJ's are playing the records!!

for example - Billy Davis a biggie about a year ago???? I was playing this out in Plymouth 3/4 years ago, and dropped it into a couple of sets in Bournemouth a few years prior to that.

add to that we have had an all-nighter down here where we had Pete Lyster & Dr Pickles (up there with the best of 'em) in the line-up. How many of those that make statements about not having the goods delivered ventured out to soak up some fantastic RARE soul. I would guess at less than a handful; and probably none of them coming from anywhere north of somerset :thumbsup:

we can make observations regarding what other venues may or may not be delivering but unless we actually attend, or see the full playlists, it is difficult to make an objective judgement wink.gif

Edited by mikecook
Social source share

Guest andrew bin

l am not saying,current biggies don't get played at soul nites....when they've shipped in a dj who might have some of em.......it's when they have a bunch of blokes djing who you know full well have got nowt but tired old bootlegs a bit of motown and some carvers to boot :lol: .go on now find some other obscure scenario when we all know full well what l mean.All i'm saying is if you ain't playing something don't say you are just to get folks through the door.....atb glasnost tezza :lol:

how do you know what dj's have in their collections or playboxes

current monsters, biggies, laugh.gif:lol: have you just got back from a 1970,s top of the pops

Edited by andrew bin
Social source share

its all a matter of perspective really - what is called a 'current biggie' may well be considered 'old hat' - depending where you are, when you are there, and what DJ's are playing the records!!

yeh, that's true. Hadn't considered that. You could take a southern 'current biggies' track and play it at a niter in the north west and it'd be an oldie!. :wave:

Jayne.x. (Joking!!!) sort of.

Social source share

yeh, that's true. Hadn't considered that. You could take a southern 'current biggies' track and play it at a niter in the north west and it'd be an oldie!. :wave:

Jayne.x. (Joking!!!) sort of.

absolutely Jayne, I couldn't agree more - it is a vice versa statement that could possibly be the reason we have comments about 'other' venues "not delivering the goods".

It has given me another perspective to my initial thoughts when i first heard that Johnny Howard had been a 'reactivated monster' up north, when it had previously been hammered to death down south :D

That also covers the part in my initial comment regarding, 'depending...what DJ's are playing the records'. It is only my opinion but I get the sense that some people judge records on who is playing it rather than on the merit of the record itself ph34r.gif

Social source share

absolutely Jayne, I couldn't agree more - it is a vice versa statement that could possibly be the reason we have comments about 'other' venues "not delivering the goods".

It has given me another perspective to my initial thoughts when i first heard that Johnny Howard had been a 'reactivated monster' up north, when it had previously been hammered to death down south wink.gif

That also covers the part in my initial comment regarding, 'depending...what DJ's are playing the records'. It is only my opinion but I get the sense that some people judge records on who is playing it rather than on the merit of the record itself :)

Oh gawd! definately true!. :shades:

Jayne.x

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!