Jack Ashford / Eddie Parker

Just finished reading a great book which was bought me as a Christmas Present.

It was Jack Asford's Motown, A view from the Bottom."

Now there's a couple of things which intrigued / puzzled me.

Firstly Eddie Parker gets only a paragraph, no mention of any records and in particular no mention of "Love You Baby" Now given that said record was on the "Ashford" label I would have expected at least a mention, given that he does namecheck several other of his independent Detroit productions after he left Motown. I guess there weren't many on the label, was it the only release ?

Jack understandably is proud of many of these productions (and rightly so) yet he declines to mention this record. He does describe Eddie as a "screamer" rather than a soul singer and I wouldn't argue with that. In fact said record although massive in the early 70s is to my ears almost devoid of melody, not that it mattered back in the day.

Secondly, here's a quote from the book. ""The production on her, (Miki Farrow) like the other releases, were popular in Europe, but it was extremely hard to get a record played in Detroit."

So was Eddie Parker issued in France in 60s or was it 70s? If it was 60s then I am puzzled as to whether he was aware that this and other great tracks were popular in Europe actually in 60s or would it be more likely to be 70s when the Northern Soul scene discovered them?

And why would he find it hard to get a record played in Detroit ? I have a theory but don't want to spoil the (50th) party!!

Andy

Any ideas/ comments from the experts on here ?

Social source share

• Replies 2
  • Views 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just finished reading a great book which was bought me as a Christmas Present.

It was Jack Asford's Motown, A view from the Bottom."

Now there's a couple of things which intrigued / puzzled me.

Firstly Eddie Parker gets only a paragraph, no mention of any records and in particular no mention of "Love You Baby" Now given that said record was on the "Ashford" label I would have expected at least a mention, given that he does namecheck several other of his independent Detroit productions after he left Motown. I guess there weren't many on the label, was it the only release ?

Jack understandably is proud of many of these productions (and rightly so) yet he declines to mention this record. He does describe Eddie as a "screamer" rather than a soul singer and I wouldn't argue with that. In fact said record although massive in the early 70s is to my ears almost devoid of melody, not that it mattered back in the day.

Secondly, here's a quote from the book. ""The production on her, (Miki Farrow) like the other releases, were popular in Europe, but it was extremely hard to get a record played in Detroit."

So was Eddie Parker issued in France in 60s or was it 70s? If it was 60s then I am puzzled as to whether he was aware that this and other great tracks were popular in Europe actually in 60s or would it be more likely to be 70s when the Northern Soul scene discovered them?

And why would he find it hard to get a record played in Detroit ? I have a theory but don't want to spoil the (50th) party!!

Andy

Any ideas/ comments from the experts on here ?

Cetainly not from expertise Andy, but you've partly answered the latter part of your question....unless anyone can say differently???

Social source share

With regard to Jack Ashford's relationship with Eddie Parker, when JA was interviewed by Richard Searling many moons ago he summed up Eddie very briefly as being better regarded for his dancing than his singing.So I suspect JA (having worked with many fine singers) probably didn't rate EP that much hence the small piece on him.

Paul

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!