Worst Records

Paul R

I've noticed over the last few weeks since I found this site that Al Wilsons "The Snake" gets a bit of stick. When I first went to St. Maries Youth club disco in Southport in 1971 the Snake was my favorite sound(I was only 13) so there is a place in my soul for it. On the other hand, Johnny Vonelli needs shooting. Also as a non attender within the scene for many years, what is Steve Flannigan contributing. I'd rather hear good ol' Al Wilson than him. And who is Stuart Ames?

What are the worst tracks ever played?

Social source share

• Replies 114
  • Views 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Worse track ever played ?

could give you a few ,

but trouble is more than likely be someone elses top tune

and could get all a bit negative

on slagging snake, possibly not so much the record, maybe its just become a term (can't remember the word want to use -icon?) for all thats bad about retro northern, if you know what I mean

Social source share

LIKE MIKE SAID PAUL, WHAT IS SOMEONES WORST RECORD MAY BE SOMEBODY ELSES FAVE RECORD AND SO ON. MAYBE WE SHOULD PUT UP A LIST OF PERSONAL WORST RECORDS (SAY 5 EACH) BUT AS I SAY THEY ARE ONLY PERSONAL CHOICES AND NOT A KNOCK ABOUT BRINGING SOUNDS DOWN. YOU MENTION J VANELLI HERE, GOT TO SAY IT IS ONE OF MY FAVOURITE DANCERS OF ALL TIME AND A RECORD THAT WAS NEVER HAMMERED! BUT HEY THATS MY OPINION ONLY. HERES 5 RECORDS I DONT WANT TO HEAR AT A SOUL NITE :-

1. MR SOUL - WHAT HAPPENED TO YESTERDAY

2. BOBBY KLINE - SAY SOMETHING NICE TO ME

3. ESTHER PHILLIPS - CATCH ME I'M FALLING

4. SPENCER WIGGINS - LETS TALK IT OVER

5. FUTURES - PARTY TIME MAN

FEW SURPRISES THERE FOR A FEW PEOPLE, BUT AS I SAID IT IS PERSONAL CHOICE, NOT A SLAGGING OF THESE TUNES.

GRANT

Social source share

the worst soul records are these 1) the theme from the fantastic disco machine 2) theme from joe 90 3) theme from mickey mouse i stopped going to wigan when they started to play crap ktf souliegraham

Social source share

cant remember theme from fantastic disco machine graham but when u quit wigan u must have missed out on a lot of great stuff like Eddie Daye & 4 Bars, Ray Agee, Vondells, Imaginations, Inspirations, Betty Lloyd et al. Yes Wigan played some nonsense but so did a lot of places - a lot of shite played at every soul nite and all-niter today. IMO too many knockers about wigan these days - without it folks there wouldnt be any 100 CLub, etc! Just remember wich sid eur bread buttered on folks!!

Grant - ex-WCSC & proud of it

Social source share

Interesting this one we would all probably mention the Joe 90 or 5 0 theme but as Grant says each to their own, so here's mine:

We go together - August and Deneen

Country Girl - Vicky Baines

Say it isn't so - Betty Boo

Wade in the water - Ramsey Lewis

Packin' up - Damon Fox

Sorry Mr Searling!

Social source share

Guest Kolla

I do believe it has to be "Nelly the Elephant" which Randy handed over to an unsuspecting DJ (Mick S- you may remember who it was) as a C / U and told him to play it. He did. Doh!

Worst i've ever played - I didn't have Belita Woods version of "Grounded" so played Gloria Taylor's version which I thought I could convert the n/s crowd too... too gritty, too loud, too ****ing fast, and too embarrassing to remember ever again.

Damon Fox - Packin' Up - It goes...

"baby, i'm packin' up, doncha know i'm leaving town" then he singings into a pillow i think for the rest of the song...

... and retroNorthern - no idea what it is either, but I like it - can we use it for stuff like "Apples, Peaches, Pumpkin Pie" ? no maybe not, that should go under the more direct category of backwardNorthern.

Social source share

Guest Kolla

Oh *&%£&%$ !

Just re-read the question ... i thought it said worse record YOU'VE ever play - not just worst record ever play? Aargh - so i didn't have to confess at all !

To make me feel better and to make it even more interesting, can we change the topic question to "What's the worst record you've ever played ?"

Social source share

Also Mike, what's retro Northern (I don't know what you mean)??

have to smile as looked it up and for once my choice of words sort of matched what meant...if you know what I mean :0

Main Entry: ret·ro

Pronunciation: 're-(")trO

Function: adjective

Etymology: French rtro, short for rtrospectif retrospective

: relating to, reviving, or being the styles and especially the fashions of the past : fashionably nostalgic or old-fashioned

Social source share

not so much worse record ever played but maybe the suprising, just played "walking thru the cemerty" (possibly some may say worse record ever but it was halloween) and then mate gave me 45 says "get this on it be a great follow up" ..a sort of female version of "return to sender" used almost same chorus by think barbara ...something. mmmmm

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Airoplane song

Peanut Duck

The####ing Professionals!!!!!!!!

BUT Grant. MATE! Bobby Kline???

Only top three record alltime ever!!

Social source share

God, there are acres of crap records out there in ersatz-soul land. Take enough 'artificial happiness' and you too might end up dancing to garbage like: Penny Gold, I'll Hold You, Moonlight Music and You, On the Brink, Frank Bloody Popps, numerous 100mph Wigan-era horrors. To mis-quote Citizen Smith "come the revolution all these records will be put up against a wall!" Whoops, here comes the boss, back to work.

Social source share

Sing along with Damon, it's not that bad is it?!

Oooh baby, I'm packing up

Leaving this town

Oh the blues got me down

Since my baby's spreading news around

About this new love that she's found

I've got my bags waiting at the station

I've already made my reservation

I can't show my hurt, might lose my reputation

Now quite hanging round, making conversation

I'm packing up, I've gotto leave, another town, yeah

Oh baby, I'm packing up, leaving this town

Lonely blues, got me down

Since my baby's spreading news around

About the new love that's she's found

I've got my bags waiting at the station

Cuz see this is a bad situation

That's why my bags are down at the station

Well see this bad situation

I'm packing up, I've got leave, another town, yeah

Oh baby, oh baby

Oh baby

Oh, I've got go, I can't take it

I can't let you know, I can't take it

I can't let you know, I'm gone baby

Bye, bye, baby

Bye, bye baby

Bye, bye baby

Bye baby

Social source share

No, the lyrics came straight from the horse's mouth; Damon is one of many "Northern Soul" artists I have squatting in my house (head)! Bless him, if he forgets his medication, he start singing that bloody song and trying to knick off with one of my suitcases down to the train station! They all sing, all day long, hoping I'll take them to Cleethorpes or Prestatyn one day........

Form the kitchen I can presently hear;

"Why do you always sigh when I say goodbye?

(yeah, yeah, yeah)

When you know we can make

(Let me hear you brother)

That hurt who can deny?

Yeah, yeah, yeah

(Now let me hear you brother

now let me hear my soul brother yeah, yeah, yeah)

Now love makes me suffer

You and I asking why?

We can make it my darling, yes

Just you and I .........."

Those Mello Soul boys are always in there 'Del Larking' about and scoffing oven chips and gravy!

Social source share

Come on now, let's start a movement, right here, right now.

To all D.J's who are going to be spinning records up and down the country this weekend, Please, pleeease, don't play THE FUTURES.. PARTY TIME MAN !.

This record should never have been spun on the soul scene in the first place. So come on D.J's, lets put a stop to it right now, let's put it in the History books.

Maybe we could also include THE BROTHERS on RCA, in that as well.

NO MORE FUTURES, NO MORE FUTURES, NO MORE FUTURES, NO MORE FUTURES, NO MORE FUTURES, NO MORE FUTURES,NO MORE FUTURES, NO MORE FUTURES, NO MORE FUTURES,NO MORE FUTURES, NO MORE FUTURES, NO MORE FUTURES,NO MORE FUTURES, NO MORE FUTURES, NO MORE FUTURES,NO MORE FUTURES, NO MORE FUTURES, NO MORE FUTURES,NO MORE FUTURES, NO MORE FUTURES, NO MORE FUTURES,NO MORE FUTURES, NO MORE FUTURES, NO MORE FUTURES,NO MORE FUTURES, NO MORE FUTURES, NO MORE FUTURES,NO MORE FUTURES, NO MORE FUTURES, NO MORE FUTURES,NO MORE FUTURES, NO MORE FUTURES, NO MORE FUTURES,NO MORE FUTURES, NO MORE FUTURES, NO MORE FUTURES,

Social source share

The Futures 'Party Time Man' sure comes in for a lot of stick!

Yet why is it that whenever it is played 90% of people get on the dancefloor to it. Can they ALL be wrong, or are some people just being too precious about it?

For certain it is over priced; for sure it will probably not stand the test of time (ie it won't be played in a couple of years from now), but at the end of the day there is no denying it is a soul record, performed by a black group, no doubt trying to make a living from singing and probably attempting to get themselves out of the ghetto - just like all of our heroes and idols.

Is it that the date on which they made it just happens to be after 1969?

Just a thought!

Brian

Social source share

Damm, the server will not accept my lovely picture of Ila Van , sorry
think was due to the temp move Hippo

there was about 499 settings to change and i must have done 498 of them

it seems to work ok now (from this end at least)

Damn it - the auto login has failed agin - the above post is mine!

again more than likely due to the move back

the move was unavoidable, believe me tried to avoid it wink.gif - was all about bandwidth and such

on the auto-login

a bit of mystery at moment

as seems to work ok for some and not for others

looking deeper into it

on futures , possibly comes in for stick because of way it was hyped up both by some djs and sellers ?

Social source share

"Tainted Love" ~ Jezebels.... this is so bad it's funny, it's just complete Poo....... The only person who could disagre would be there mums.. (As we all now your mums would always stick up for you, whatever you've done) I think this record could go down in history as the worse record ever recorded......

Mischief

(sorry don't have time to keep logging in)

Social source share

Guest SteveC

And who is Stuart Ames?

He was a white man who was able to sing like a black one...................very well IMHO.

Social source share

Hmmm, down to your own taste indeed as I love Ike & Tina and as for Mr Kline, a classic!!! Now me I loathe with a passion 'Trick Me, Treat Me, by the Cobblestones and there was a record Roger spun at the 100 Club in the 80's that I swear shared the same backing as 'Riders On The Storm'!!!! Now that was dire!!! (Anyone remember who it was??) Having heard some of the stuff Mr Levine was spinning on his recent return/leaving/return/leaving etc etc I can think of at least 20 more to add to my list :-) Rare does not equal quality/good - as I've said B4 on this very site, Searling summed it up best when he said it's a Rare Soul scene - rare in quality, not just quantity.

TheBigO

*Hopefully my profile pics uploaded now - see my taste in shirts has remained as consistent as my love of the scene

Social source share

Cheers Steve, I heard Stewart Ames off a CD(Backrop) I bought and thought the track was terrible. Each to his own Eh!

By the way are you the Steve C who runs the northern nights in Pompey?

Worst tracks? I was at a do once and the DJ played Chapter 5 One in a Million and said it was the best version. I had to disagree and play Maxine. I still hate Nightwatch "Lips To Your Heart" even though I havn't heard it for years.

KTF

Social source share

i love damon fox,worst has to be all that tailor made rubbish ,javelles,wigans ovation etc.,also theme from jaws [disco version] they used to play at wigan and all that other tv theme ,tim tam nonesense,oh and all that clip clop early cowboy rnb they play now.

Social source share

Cheers Steve, I heard Stewart Ames off a CD(Backrop) I bought and thought the track was terrible.  Each to his own Eh!

By the way are you the Steve C who runs the northern nights in Pompey?

Worst tracks?  I was at a do once and the DJ played Chapter 5 One in a Million and said it was the best version.  I had to disagree and play Maxine.  I still hate Nightwatch "Lips To Your Heart" even though I havn't heard it for years.

KTF

1. I'm much the same - world would be a boring place if we all had the same taste.

2. I am

3. Agreed - Maxines version (IMHO) is far superior.

Social source share

Cheers Steve, I heard Stewart Ames off a CD(Backrop) I bought and thought the track was terrible.  Each to his own Eh!

Ames, Stonker IMHO. Could be a new thread here; there are plenty of tunes I've heard off cd/tape that I thought were nothing much and then heard out loud I thought were brill. Likewise I've bought a 45 and as soon as I've played it at home I'm dissapointed cos it didn't sound as good as when I heard it out.

Some records just have to be played out nice'n'veryloud to fully appreciate them.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

one track played at the last few nites i've been to is that Dean Barlow - Third Window From The Right, what a pile of shyte (in my humble opinion). it sounds like its ad background music for dodgy bobs carpet shop at the local flea pit. i know everybodys take on soul music is different but that... well it mystifies me. and the best is, its on mr manships list as below at £199.00

'Currently a big, big tune. Filling floors, and blocking phone lines all over the north of England. A Northern Soul Djing must have... crazy people with too much money comes to mind.

adios

pedro

Social source share

Guest Kolla

Yep, have to say Dean Barlow is up there with the worst. It's not that it's a bad record, it's just that it's NOT soulful and IMO shouldn't be played at an NS event. It's rightful place is as the soundtrack to a pensive scene in "Champion The Wonder Horse". **

That said, i still believe the the worst record is "Apples, Peaches, Pumpkin Pie". The fact Jay & The Techniques had Nickolas Ashford, Valerie Simpson, Melba Moore & Joshie Armstead on background vocals doesn't redeem itself!

**Sound Clip of Dean :) ))

post-1-1082100669_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Blimey - I'll never be able to listen to Dean Barlow again without it bringing back memories of a childhood spent in front of BBC1 during summer holidays!!

But you're right about the Jay & The Techniques - definitely up there with 'em. Even the title "Apples, Peaches, Pumpkin Pie" conjures up the term "sickly sweet"!!!

Gene

Social source share

thanks Kolla, i thought it was me - because when i asked about the record, title, artist, label etc. to make sure i headed for the bar when its played next, i got the impression that its a popular, well played 45, oh hum - anyway next time i see a galloping horse i'll think of champion the wonder horse - speaking of which 'the champion' would make a good film score.

adios pedro

Social source share

Interesting that someone's mentioned "Dust My Broom" by Ike and Tina Turner. To those of you who have a copy, listen to the intro again. In the first bar, you can hear Tina Turner coughing in the background (no word of a lie!).

However, the rumour of Ike Turner shouting out "Shut the f*** up bitch" in response remains unconfirmed.

Gene

Social source share

Guest Kolla

"Dust My Broom" by Ike and Tina Turner.  In the first bar, you can hear Tina Turner coughing in the background

LOL - I didn't know that Gene, now I want to listen to it again - anyone have a clip? A pal sold an Ex copy on eBay for £70 last month too.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!