Worst Records

Paul R

Guest LeoLyxxx

Hmm.. worst records.. haven't been around all that long and don't live in England but here goes:

Futures "party time man"

*god awful!

Bill Harris "am i cold am i hot"

*never understood this

almost all RnB...

Snoopy Dean "shake n bump"

*arrrrrrrrrrrg!!!

By the way, LOVE the Ila Vann pic. nice one!

best

Leo

Social source share

• Replies 114
  • Views 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Dean Barlow? Spot on. Appalling. In the same category as Bobby Day - Pretty Little Girl. How in the name of sanity can anyone sit there and think "yep! that's the sound for me". Same goes for all that rock n roll that gets spun. Helen Troy, Betty O'Brien, Richard Berry - all makes the scene sound like an old Tommy Steele movie. Oh yeh, there's that woeful Hayes Cotton thing (not Black Wings) that was getting played down the Dome last year - sounds like a dog being strangled slowly.

Social source share

i'm glad some folks are like minded on this Deam Barlow track, i've gotta agree with Mr White some of the stuff being played is what i would term as rock'n'roll which again i don't have a DA and wear drain pipes so i can't comment. but got to admit to dancing (moving legs 'to and fro') to Jay & The Tecniques at the school disco and i didn't know Nick Ashford was on backing cause he's got one of his in my all time top3 (bold statement that) - 'When i feel the need' on verve (it was covered by Marvin) and it sells for about £10 (stock copy).

anyway drinky poos time

adios amigos

pedro

ps i'm off to New York Wednesday for a giggle

Social source share

How about the truly dreadful "Wanting You" by April Stevens.

Which superstar DJ unleashed that crime against Soul Music on us?

Ahh! Ive wanted to get that off my chest for ages.

Social source share

In the same category as Bobby Day - Pretty Little Girl. How in the name of sanity can anyone sit there and think "yep! that's the sound for me". Same goes for all that rock n roll that gets spun. Helen Troy, Betty O'Brien, Richard Berry

People like it cos people have different tastes etc...which is healthy, is it not? I really like the above 4 mentioned tunes; although early, far better, IMHO, than later stuff - dare I mention the Futures or Nino Tempo?!

As for Dean Barlow agree its crap. Never liked any of his output since he left Take That.

Peanut Duck. Dire! But listen to the singer, she is giving it all she's got, You gotta admire her for getting sooo into something about ducks and peanuts!

April Stevens. Pop shite.

Any way it all shows we have different views; lets sing the praises of what we like. Life is too short to moan about the bad things....

And so, talking of windows, I rather like Village Sound - 'These Windows'...

Social source share

Message to Steve C if you are Sas then Hello Mate This is Jimmy Rimmer

Well blow me down Mr Rimmer. E-mail me off line Jimmy s.csordas@ntlworld.com

Lovely to hear from you. Lots on in your neck of the woods - thats if you're still down pompey way. Apr 30 th is our next event. Would be great to see ya.

Steve C

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

I know complaining might not be the way but a few more (i can't help myself, there's just too many ;-)

Phil Flowers "like a rolling stone"

*no, it's not soul..

Four Vandals

*yup! both sides..

Natural Four "the devil made me do it"

*arrrrrrg! The devil sure did do this...

best

Leo

Social source share

I too like "These Windows" by the Village Sound, even if the intro could easily be the next "World of Sport" theme!!!

Gene

Splutter Splutter , Gene you swine, World of Sport , are you sure LOL

Social source share

Guest micksmith

I THINK I REMEMBER SOUL SAM PLAYING THE MICKI MOUSE CARTOON COM. OR SOMETHING. NEVER BECAME A CLASSIC-I WONDER WHY. BE FREE TO SEND ANY INFO.

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

"Peanut Duck. Dire! But listen to the singer, she is giving it all she's got, You gotta admire her for getting sooo into something about ducks and peanuts!"

***i must agree on this, ok not the most soulful or quality tune but it's so funny it's good! Could easily imagine the singer going into the studio after one drink too many and doing her most to make that song a hit, byt he way can anyone dance "the peanut duck"? It's like the regular "duck" but with some kind of peanut twist to it or what...? Someone??

/Leo

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Sonny D'Nuzio - That's why i love my baby - Unital

The worst record not to be played during the dark days of Wigan dreadful white Italian pap pop shite just my VFHO of course ;o)

John

Social source share

The Futures .... Party time man, Dean Barlow... Third Window, Bobby Day ...Pretty little girl, Larry Trider ... Carbon Copy. Amazingly all these records have been big around the East Midlands........... Enough said !

Got to add that awful record by the Brothers on R.C.A to the list.

Had a Superb Night at Sheridens on Saturday Night.......Quality Music !

Social source share

Nick Nack Paddy Wack - Lou Lawton what the F**k is that all about? ;-)x

Totally agree, Utter Garbage......... Someone somewhere must have thought it was a good record, that's why It first got played. I would love to hear from someone who thinks it's a good record to explain why. Another annoying thing about the record, is that once you've heard it, it sticks in your head, and you can't stop singing it.

How about Jnr.Walker instrumentals, for be annoying.

Social source share

sorry mikey but as i said only personal taste mate. can see why a lot of people like the record though. Another bad one (IMO!!) VALA REGAN - FIREMAN .

definitely sounds a bit dodgy today.....however, the other side 'Living in the past'? Now that's another story

RichS

Social source share

Totally agree, Utter Garbage......... Someone somewhere must have thought it was a good record, that's why It first got played. I would love to hear from someone who thinks it's a good record to explain why. Another annoying thing about the record, is that once you've heard it, it sticks in your head, and you can't stop singing it.

Well I like it. And I don't feel the need to explain why either!!!

Each to his own etc...

Social source share

tim tam and the bloody turn offs,are people sure it was the golden age of our sceane when they were playing shite like that,,,,hugh montenegro sherry inst,anyone.

Social source share

Dean Barlow? Spot on. Appalling. In the same category as Bobby Day - Pretty Little Girl. How in the name of sanity can anyone sit there and think "yep! that's the sound for me". Same goes for all that rock n roll that gets spun. Helen Troy, Betty O'Brien, Richard Berry - all makes the scene sound like an old Tommy Steele movie. Oh yeh, there's that woeful Hayes Cotton thing (not Black Wings) that was getting played down the Dome last year - sounds like a dog being strangled slowly.

Ha Ha! Should come down to the 100 on Saturday, got most of the above.

How about I play one just for you maybe "Half A Sixpence" LOL

I suppose your more of a "Saturday Night Fever" kinda Fella rather than a Tommy Steele fan?

Jodie xxx

(oops, the top bit was a quote)

Social source share

Well I like it. And I don't feel the need to explain why either!!!

Each to his own etc...

And me, think its brilliant. Suppose the South Coast will be another area to avoid now aswell as the East Midlands ;-),

Social source share

I respect all the above people's right to say that they like Lou lawton everybody has their own tastes and opinions fair enough but I'm afraid when i go to a SOUL night I really dont want to be listening to shite like this! ( Unfortunately this happens too often around the East Mids - promoters please take note )

Steve L

Social source share

I respect all the above people's right to say that they like Lou lawton everybody has their own tastes and opinions fair enough but I'm afraid when i go to a SOUL night I really dont want to be listening to shite like this! ( Unfortunately this happens too often around the East Mids - promoters please take note )

Steve L

What does the L stand for Steve?

For god sake promoters PLEASE DON'T take note,

I think there's room for all of us don't you?

Social source share

Most of the rock and roll, sorry R&B is terrible and shouldn't IMO be played in northern rooms. That goes for country music too, Barbara Redd etc. Plenty of stuff from the mid wigan era too.

Like someone says all down to personal taste. Shite played in all eras of the scene ;-)

Social source share

Steve L

Ah, but what if the other 80% of the crowd wanna hear that one shite record by Lou Lawton. Would that make them a bad crowd?

One mans shite is another mans joy.

Doesn't sound very clean that does it.

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

Haven't heard, on what label? Not the best track but i must say the Skip Mahoney rendition is at least danceable...

all the best

Leo

Social source share

Haven't heard

LUCKY YOU...

TRACO or some thing (it's a Levine mix) as I say bought it out of intrest..

IN FACT I'M PUTTING THIS ON HERE AS A HEALTH WARNING.

"DO NOT BUY THIS RECORD, NOT EVEN OUT OF INTREST.. IT IS SOOO BAD. IT'S LIKE FRANK WILSON BEEN LISTERNING TO A VILLAGE PEOPLE ALBUM AND THEN GOING STRAIGHT OFF TO THE RECORDING STUDIO.."

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

""DO NOT BUY THIS RECORD, NOT EVEN OUT OF INTREST.. IT IS SOOO BAD. IT'S LIKE FRANK WILSON BEEN LISTERNING TO A VILLAGE PEOPLE ALBUM AND THEN GOING STRAIGHT OFF TO THE RECORDING STUDIO.."

*hahaha, ok...

must say i think "the joker" is appauling aswell.. ...and "the flasher" and Lorelei and "put me in your pocket" and.. well, you get the point ;-)

all the best

Leo

Social source share

First time I heard it was at Wigan. Went home raving about it to a pal. He pulled it off his shelf and said "you can't possibly mean this can you?!" Shame faced, I admitted he had the right tune. I made out I was off my face at the time and it probably sounded better over big speakers.

"Well if they're playing this kind of crap," he replied, "I'm glad i'm off the scene". He gave me his British copy and I sold it for him next week at a fiver.

Cherry People. Anyone wanna buy a copy on Heritage? lol

Social source share

What does the L stand for Steve?

For god sake promoters PLEASE DON'T take note,

I think there's room for all of us don't you?

Jodie the point I'm trying to make is that the music I love is soul music - mostly 60s but mainly SOULFUL and this is what I want to hear when I go out. As I see it different people have different definitions of what soul is, but just because the artist is black and/or the record is danceable doesnt qualify it in my eyes.

Theres no way you can tell me that knick knack paddy wack is soul music whatever your opinion of the record is, in the same way that the Futures is purely a disco record ( also crap IMO ). So we have to ask ourselves is this a soul scene or a dance music scene? I mentioned in my earlier post the east Mids scene, well when I go to venues like Annesley I get the distinct impression that a sizable proportion of the crowd are there to have a good night out ( which they obviously do - and fair enough ) but that they would dance to anything that came on so long as it had a danceable beat. This frustrates the hell out of me when there are literally 1000s of top quality 60s tunes that never see the light of day!

My heyday was the late 70s at Wigan and believe me there are so many brilliant records from that era that dont get played, instead I have to go out and listen to crap like Lou Lawton and the Futures.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

That was me, forgot to log in!

See i still like this, one of the better ones that Ian Levine Championed on his short lived return to the scene.

John

Social source share

Guest micksmith

DAVE I'D BE HAPPY TO TAKE £40 OFF YOU FOR ONE.

LOUISE-NO I WOULDN'T PLAY IT-BUT I PLAY THE FUTURES-NICE HAPPY SONG, NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT.

Social source share

I THINK I REMEMBER SOUL SAM PLAYING THE MICKI MOUSE CARTOON COM. OR SOMETHING. NEVER BECAME A CLASSIC-I WONDER WHY. BE FREE TO SEND ANY INFO.

Cartoon Candy Carnival mick,

Everything is Mickey Mouse on Metromedia,

disgusting song, got it on Ebay probably do a ton,lol.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Yep, have to say Dean Barlow is up there with the worst.  It's not that it's a bad record, it's just that it's NOT soulful and IMO shouldn't be played at an NS event. It's rightful place is as the soundtrack to a pensive scene in "Champion The Wonder Horse". **

That said, i still believe the the worst record is "Apples, Peaches, Pumpkin Pie". The fact Jay & The Techniques had Nickolas Ashford, Valerie Simpson, Melba Moore & Joshie Armstead on background vocals doesn't redeem itself!

**Sound Clip of Dean :) ))

Yes it is a bad record!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IMVFHO but i have to disagree with APPP not right for today's scene but pefect for it's day.

Lightweight as flip but a great dancer and that was the criteria back then.....

I'll get me coat...................

Chalky

Social source share

Ha Ha!  Should come down to the 100 on Saturday, got most of the above.

How about I play one just for you maybe "Half A Sixpence" LOL

I suppose your more of a "Saturday Night Fever" kinda Fella rather than a Tommy Steele fan?

Jodie xxx

(oops, the top bit was a quote)

Funnily enough Jodie, I can remember someone (probably Dave Thorley!) playing the version of K-Jee which was on Saturday Night Fever soundtrack in the main room at Yate in 1978!!! Frankly, I would rather hear that than the r 'n' r / c 'n' w stuff which reminds me of 45s/78s my mum and dad used to play at parties when I was a kid. That stuff is just sooooo uncool.............yuk!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert