Nantwich Night Train 12th Anniversary Sat 17th Jan

Guest Ray

Massive thanks to everybody who braved the weather to make our anniversary night such a geat success.

For those who asked the official attendance was actually 419. Which of course led to the problem of running out on the anniversary CD, I will be having another run done so hopefully everyone will be satisfied.

IMO upstairs with Chris and Dave and A Dab of Soul really has added a missing dimension to our soul night experience. Unfortunately I did not have many opportunities to get up there but when I did was mighty impressed with both the music and the whole atmosphere generated.

Downstairs it was a bit of a gamble putting on Johnny Boy to sing live on what has been traditionally a vinyl only event but as expected the crowd warmed to him and he packed the floor. He was still buzzing when he rang me Sunday morning [so was I but mine was a hangover] and he will be back some time in the future. As usual Keith Minshull, Dave Evison and Gary Taylor delivered what we "oldies" fans enjoy and so far I've had no complaints from the venue when we overran by 20 minutes, the floor was still busy when the lights went up and that is always a good sign.

I have not seen the stills or video from the night yet but it should be well worth viewing.

Final note for now. I've finally got some footage from the Wyche which was our original venue and sadly missed by so many. Those were the days, 400 packed into a room half the size of the Civic and so much heat generated the sweat used to run down the walls even in winter. I'd even forgot about the glitter ball and people sitting on the stage. Best stop there before I start wallowing in nostalgia.

We will be doing it all again on Saturday 21st March.

• Replies 6
  • Views 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi Ray,

Wish to say thank you for another top night at the Civic, Great Music, Fantastic crowd over 400 and Superb Venue. :lol:

Thanks for your support. It's the guys like you, who do so much to spread the word that has kept this event going for so long. True soul heroes.

Hello Ray: I can't believe its 12 years since you started the Wyche Anglers Club nights it was one of the favourite places I visited when I got back on the scene.

The attendance said it all on Saturday night, a brilliant night out, I thought the lad you had singing live had a lot of bottle singing those tunes in front of such a hardened northern crowd. Easy to do in a pub etc but do them live at a top northern venue takes some doing & I thought he was excellent.

The addition of the 70's room upstairs will also create a different dimension to the Civic.

Looking forward to the next do in March.

Cheers & KTF

Amo

Hello Ray: I can't believe its 12 years since you started the Wyche Anglers Club nights it was one of the favourite places I visited when I got back on the scene.

The attendance said it all on Saturday night, a brilliant night out, I thought the lad you had singing live had a lot of bottle singing those tunes in front of such a hardened northern crowd. Easy to do in a pub etc but do them live at a top northern venue takes some doing & I thought he was excellent.

The addition of the 70's room upstairs will also create a different dimension to the Civic.

Looking forward to the next do in March.

Cheers & KTF

Amo

Thanks Amo. Johnny was not an unknown quantity to me but I was very pleased with how well the potential sceptics gave him a chance. His highlight for me was "Long after Tonight Is All Over", which packed the floor even though it was only about 11:30! He usually jumps off the stage and dances with the crowd. The Civic stage is about 5ft and as Johnny is not much taller it could have been a bit risky so I think he was right to play it safe. He tells me he gets a mention in Tommy Hunts book [i've not read it yet] and the plan was to ask Tommy to come over for a book signing but that was a none starter as he was over in the US. Who knows, maybe that's one for the future.

So pleased you enjoyed the whole event.

I spent most of the night in the upstairs room for obvious reasons but i did get a couple of chances to have a look what was going on in the oldies room. I must agree the atmosphere was fantastic, the floor was packed and everyone was having a brilliant time!

Its no suprise that this event has lasted 12 years, i`d bet it goes on for another 12 years too....not sure Ray is going to last that long though!

Chris.

I spent most of the night in the upstairs room for obvious reasons but i did get a couple of chances to have a look what was going on in the oldies room. I must agree the atmosphere was fantastic, the floor was packed and everyone was having a brilliant time!

Its no suprise that this event has lasted 12 years, i`d bet it goes on for another 12 years too....not sure Ray is going to last that long though!

Chris.

C'mon Chris. I still have a mental age of 16 although my liver thinks I'm 80 so another 12 years is still a possibility.

For everybody else who missed out on the anniversary CD I've ordered another 200 so hopefully everyone will be satisfied. Roll on 21st March, this train aint stoppin'.