The Realistics On Uk Epic - Is There A Demand For This?

Pete S

• Replies 15
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

THE REALISTICS - THE MAGIC THAT YOU DO / LOVE VIBRATIONS - EPIC 5439

Just going through a box of crap and found this - then nearly had a heart attack when I saw it was £75 on JM's site. Is there a demand for this or something?

dont think so pete but i think it is uk only, steve plumb has had one for sale for a while if my memory serves me right.

mark

Social source share

Guest Johnny Mack

Pete

Realistics 45's are popular with the sweet soul collectors - guess there's a demand out of the US and Japan

Think one of their 45' is UK only - dont know if it this one though

Best

John

THE REALISTICS - THE MAGIC THAT YOU DO / LOVE VIBRATIONS - EPIC 5439

Just going through a box of crap and found this - then nearly had a heart attack when I saw it was £75 on JM's site. Is there a demand for this or something?

Social source share

the magic that you do came out twice in the uk with different flipsides and i think they both book high. i bought my copy which is th same coupling as the above release and another one of theirs on uk warner brothers `putting it down to the way i feel` out of a pound box at a record fair. i think the warner release is also uk only. they are not bad tunes but ive never seen them sell for much money

dave

Social source share

I got 'Someone ought to write a song' on epic 5156 with the flip 'unchain me' 1977

they also had the one you mentioned with the flip sides as 'So sad' on epic 5723, - 1977

and 'love vibrations' on epic 5439, - 1977

Wasn't they half of 'the real thing' and half of 'the stylistics' ?????

Steve

Social source share

The Realistics 45 on Warner Bros Is in fact John Miles before he was famous - he also wrote the b side - It even says on the label "produced......for "Orange records" which is the same label as "one minute every hour"

The 45s on Epic features a similar but different lead vocal - it sounds like Tony Jackson, a session singer who sang lead on loads of uk sweet soul and disco stuff in the 70s

Social source share

Guest Hunnymon

The Realistics 45 on Warner Bros Is in fact John Miles before he was famous - he also wrote the b side - It even says on the label "produced......for "Orange records" which is the same label as "one minute every hour"

The 45s on Epic features a similar but different lead vocal - it sounds like Tony Jackson, a session singer who sang lead on loads of uk sweet soul and disco stuff in the 70s

Really, John Miles, I'd never have guessed it was him!

I've got a very crackly version of "Putting It Down" on WB, I'll try and find it and post it up.

I've posted this up before - someone may remember it this time .

Sometime in the mid-seventies there was a tv program whicch featured an American REALISTICS as they played a a couple of dates in Ireland, one at a working mans Catholic club and the other at a Protestant club.

It was one of those documentaries that was comparing differences in society that exist within the USA and the Uk.

Anyone else remember it?

Social source share

dont think so pete but i think it is uk only, steve plumb has had one for sale for a while if my memory serves me right.

mark

Hey Mark

I had a couple of UK Epic copies at £35 and they are both sold now :ohmy:

(There is no US 45 by the way)

In fact I first heard this from a mucker of yours who had it covered up many many years ago...........a certain Stevie Z if my memory serves me right :rolleyes:

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

I got 'Someone ought to write a song' on epic 5156 with the flip 'unchain me' 1977

they also had the one you mentioned with the flip sides as 'So sad' on epic 5723, - 1977

and 'love vibrations' on epic 5439, - 1977

Wasn't they half of 'the real thing' and half of 'the stylistics' ?????

Steve

someone ought to write a song was also done by delegation. ive got it somewhere maybe on the promise of love lp. was it a 45 as well???? g.gif didnt realise there was no connection between the epic and wb releases. i`ll have to dig them out and have a look and a listen :rolleyes:

Social source share

someone ought to write a song was also done by delegation. ive got it somewhere maybe on the promise of love lp. was it a 45 as well???? g.gif didnt realise there was no connection between the epic and wb releases. i`ll have to dig them out and have a look and a listen :rolleyes:

'It only happens when i look at you' (the one Jackie Wilson covered) is on the flip side of 'the promise of love' great record that one, played it out a few times

Social source share

Sorry to hijack the thread but I never had any responses to this previous posting which you will see contains the Realistics track mentioned.I

I've always had a soft spot for the old UK productions, imo if they're any good they should be worth a lot more in view of the fact that there are no US imports available to buy.

Of course unfortunately many verge on the pop / soul borderline if produced in the UK and I sometimes wonder just how soulful they are:

perhaps I could ask 2 things of the following records I've just pulled out of my box...

1. opinions, do others think they are any good ?

2 And keeping with the thread, are they UK only, or more particularly were they issued in US ? I guess many would have European releases.

Viola Wills Run to the nearest exit Goodear 1974

Raisins Dont leave me like this Major Minor 1969

Root and jenny jackson so Far Away (Instrumental) Beacon 1970

Pasadenas Love thing CBS 1990

Ritchie Pitts One step away Magnet 1978

The Realistics The Magic that you do Epic 1977

Cissy Stone Gone but not forgotten Decca 1976

The Stylistics I feel Lucky tonight BW 1979

The Blossoms there's no greater love MAM 1977

Flirtations One night of love RCA 1975

The Jesters Cant live without you jam 1973

Kokomo Anytime CBS 1975

Clyde McPhatter thank you love Deram 1968

Danny Williams whose little girl are you Deram 1967

The Pearls I'm gonna steal your heart away Private stock 1975

The Platters dancin to the music of love philips 1975

Delegation baby youre my mystery state 1977

The Expressions round and round in circles EMI 1978

The Fantastics is there a doctor in the house Bell 1974

The IGs Hang on to me baby RCA 1974

Jimmy James and vagabonds Marble and iron EMI 1974

No soundfiles but I guess that most will be known.

Cheers

Andy

Social source share

Who wrote and produced the epic 45s? - If its Ken Gold then he is the connection - He wrote "putting it down" - also he wrote and produced Delegation

Social source share

Who wrote and produced the epic 45s? - If its Ken Gold then he is the connection - He wrote "putting it down" - also he wrote and produced Delegation

i think you`re right it must be ken gold. im stranded in sutton coldfield at the moment and the 45s are at mi mothers. i will certainly be having a rummage when i get home at the weekend :thumbsup:

dave

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!