Drew3

• Replies 74
  • Views 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest BigPaul

YEP remember him well from Derby used to come to val finlayson s flat in manchester with Nobby Stephens

an Richard Dougless got some good fotos of him. i was goin wi val at the time

they had uually done a chemist by the time they got to us ,,,Larry was into every thing . believe he died couple of years

ago . Gave me my first black bombers . whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve

Sure Larrys still alive and kicking Steve. Was over in Littleover, Derby 2 weeks ago, meeting Caths sis and

her hubby for the 1st time. He used to run with Larry, Fiak and Co during the Wheel, Blue Orchid, Draycott days

and Saturday afternoons on the Pop Side at Derby matches. Told me he'd seen him only a couple a weeks

previous.

Social source share

One of Randy Cozens' main interests was the Mob and he often spent his hols in NYC hanging out in mob areas. He once introduced himself to John Gotti's brother which is a pretty dangerous thing to do! He had lots of original books and documents on the Mafia and gangsters.

Even gets a mention in a book about the mafia,i remember Randy showing me one time.

Social source share

Guest Steve Lehair

Sure Larrys still alive and kicking Steve. Was over in Littleover, Derby 2 weeks ago, meeting Caths sis and

her hubby for the 1st time. He used to run with Larry, Fiak and Co during the Wheel, Blue Orchid, Draycott days

and Saturday afternoons on the Pop Side at Derby matches. Told me he'd seen him only a couple a weeks

previous.

WEll seems we have a mystery then some say he no longer with us some he alive and well

hope some one or the man himself can let us know once and for all

Social source share

A couple of N.S. record related 'Gangsters' here:

Willie Hoskins. Owner of Boola Boola records, who signed & recorded the Natural Four, described by band member Chris James as a "real shady character."

George Blackwell. During the early sixties Sammy Campbell worked for George Blackwell, & his label Smoke. George Blackwell advanced Sammy Campbell cash to promote a concert just as Job Opening by The Del Larks (including S.C.) was taking off. Blackwell seeing a full house demanded his stake back plus a large bonus. Sammy Campbell refused & after a heated argument, Blackwells wife drew a gun on Campbell & releived him of $500. I spoke to Sammy Campbell @ Prestatyn last year and he confirmed this was true. He was also gobsmacked when he heard that 'Can't Loose my head' by George Blackwell was a big Northern tune.

Toodle pip, Ricardo. :)

Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

Even gets a mention in a book about the mafia,i remember Randy showing me one time.

Yes he does-I have the book right here-he gave it to me...haven't read it though! :)

Social source share

Give over. Good as gold, the pair of 'em!

Tim

(Hope you're well Tony :) )

Of course Mak forgot to mention the 'brains' behind it all ..........Harry from Heage !!!

Tim how are you - will I be seeing you at the Nailers Soul Night in Belper tomorrow evening - despite the match we're still on. Mak are you calling in on your way home to gloat ?

And before you start Mak I'm missing the match to spin some tunes as I don't want to witness two cup exits in a week.

Mak - fancy you mentioning Kev O'Reilly - will never forget Jimmy Hill's comments on MOTD when Kev had his 15 seconds of fame rucking on the BBG pitch in full view of the nation.

Social source share

Of course Mak forgot to mention the 'brains' behind it all ..........Harry from Heage !!!

Tim how are you - will I be seeing you at the Nailers Soul Night in Belper tomorrow evening - despite the match we're still on. Mak are you calling in on your way home to gloat ?

And before you start Mak I'm missing the match to spin some tunes as I don't want to witness two cup exits in a week.

Mak - fancy you mentioning Kev O'Reilly - will never forget Jimmy Hill's comments on MOTD when Kev had his 15 seconds of fame rucking on the BBG pitch in full view of the nation.

Brains laugh.gif:thumbsup:laugh.gif

Remember KO'R on MOTD, v Chelsea I believe

See you tomorow ........................................maybe !!

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

I don't think Soul night takins have been worth their while.

However, I remember hearing recently about connections between the mob and Roulette records. I hadn't heard this before but I guess it's not surprising given the label's name. I think a lot of Chicago labels were effected too. I'd be interested to hear more about this.

Read Lonely Teardrops Dave - I think Jackie was held by his ankles out of a window....but there were so many ankle dangling incidents in the music business, they all become one big blur. But I tell you this, you squeal and you'll be swimming with da fishes - capeesh laugh.gif

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

One of Randy Cozens' main interests was the Mob and he often spent his hols in NYC hanging out in mob areas. He once introduced himself to John Gotti's brother which is a pretty dangerous thing to do! He had lots of original books and documents on the Mafia and gangsters.

Dangerous for who....I'd be more scared of Randy than Gotti :thumbsup:laugh.gif And Randy had a tattoo of Gotti on his arm....I think rolleyes.gif They'll be up there in the big pizza parlour in the sky, 'Rags to Riches' playing in the background and having a ball :lol:

Social source share

Dangerous for who....I'd be more scared of Randy than Gotti laugh.giflaugh.gif And Randy had a tattoo of Gotti on his arm....I think :rolleyes: They'll be up there in the big pizza parlour in the sky, 'Rags to Riches' playing in the background and having a ball wink.gif

I do not know if this has been touched on earlier ( I cannot - sorry - be assed trail through previous replies / postings ) , but it comes from the " new article " section on SS , taken from Rob Moss' " I Love Detroit " interview with Sonny Monro of The Falcons , which originally featured in the October 2008 edition of Manifesto .........

" The long running speculation regarding any possible Mafia influence in Gordy's operations received scant attention. "They ran it man. He owed them money and they told him 'This company is ours'. Everybody knew it. He wheeled and dealed but they ran the show. They made him get out of Detroit too - told him to go out to California. That's why they left so quickly."

Malc Burton

Social source share

what about SMOKEY from st helens.....dodgy......or big ROBBOfrom wolverhampton....dodgy,but ok....

============================================================================

Smokey was from Wolverhampton but lived in Haydock nr St Helens for a while he was a daily visitor

to the Bungalow i had in Lowton in 73 / 74 . Great bloke Steven ( Smokey ) but sometimes dangerous to be around aka Cats one night after collecting money for gear off several black guys ect told them i had the gear then he did a runner with Kev Fox and left me and Alan Snaylam to leg it chased by a assortment

of angry young men he he

Regards Ian Cunliffe

Social source share

Read Lonely Teardrops Dave - I think Jackie was held by his ankles out of a window....but there were so many ankle dangling incidents in the music business, they all become one big blur. But I tell you this, you squeal and you'll be swimming with da fishes - capeesh :)

The mafia connection mentioned in Lonely Teardrops is Gaetano Vastola who apparently had othe music interests, including Roulette Records.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaetano_Vastola_(gangster)

Social source share

What about labels such as Gamble or Triad?

Seriously though, I heard something about Vee Jay, and the story that the mafia coerced them to record white artists, and this is how the label got to release records by the Four Seasons and The Beatles. Apparently, Vee Jay went bust after the owner was imprisoned for embezzlement - can anyone confirm the story?

heard that the guy who ran Peacock records out of Texas was a bit of a lad!!

Social source share

heard that the guy who ran Peacock records out of Texas was a bit of a lad!!

The chap you mean is Don D Robey ........

Robey , like many other owners of independent record labels at the time " especially those who put out music intended for African - American audiences , and who worked with African - American performers , Robey developed a reputation for unscrupulous business practices . Allegations were made against him in relation to the death of the singer Johnny Ace , following Ace trying to renegotiate his contract , but were never proven .....

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest EType69

Watched 'Coast To Coast' on a dodgy dvd at the weekend...... first time since its tv showing in the eighties. A hillarious combination of Soul & Gangsters.

Social source share

Hey up ady

Wasn't the bloke who owned Carnival records a big of a mob dude?

Greg

Social source share

The chap you mean is Don D Robey ........

Robey , like many other owners of independent record labels at the time " especially those who put out music intended for African - American audiences , and who worked with African - American performers , Robey developed a reputation for unscrupulous business practices . Allegations were made against him in relation to the death of the singer Johnny Ace , following Ace trying to renegotiate his contract , but were never proven .....

Malc Burton

Hi Malc, thats true but those allegations came from Huey P. Meaux who himself is not...shall we say...the most trustworthy person on this planet involved with the music industry.

Don Robey who was "famous" for being a very light coloured Black American (think his mother was white)

-and as such one of the few Black people who had their own record business- had connections with and worked also for the people involved with the nightlife bars and especially red light business in Texas. He was also quite interested in gambling and ended up owing serious money to people one shouldn´t owe money to...so it has also been rumoured and stated that the reason for him to sell his stable of labels to ABC was to very very quickly raise as much money as he could in favour to pay for his debts...

Marc

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

Hey up ady

Wasn't the bloke who owned Carnival records a big of a mob dude?

Greg

No he was one of the sweetest guys on the planet. he knew them all though and told me a funny story about when he was out with Nate McCalla of Calla records (he was a black gangster very tight with Maurice Levy), but i can't remember what it was!

Hy Weiss of Old Town was meant to be mobbed up but he reckoned it was a case of mistaken identity which he never corrected as he always had his invoices settled on time because of it.

Social source share

Brains :rolleyes::thumbsup::lol:

Remember KO'R on MOTD, v Chelsea I believe

See you tomorow ........................................maybe !!

Harry from Heage! I think you mean he was the wheels and cash,not brains,no one had a car at that time!!! then there was that little excercise in Codnor , which we'll not go into.

Rip Roper, haven't seen him since Cheshires equivalent of Van der Valk nicked us all at Nutsford.

Apart from Derby's good ol' boys, everyone one a gem, what about that thug the "late Cody Hughes" from Stoke, he'd take take everything, as you where witness.

One not mentioned who was a star - Desi from Preston, he'd spend half the night in the Torch sitting on the sink in the toilet, room for about 4 max,and take everything apart from 5 smarties, so as not to spoil your night! Having said that, when I was in a very bad way c June 72 he dragged a guy out of the trap so I could spend the next 2 hours throwing up, never did thank him.

Shelly

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!