Like Fanatsy Football But For Dj's

Guest Bicks

This is a bit similar to a couple of other recent posts, for which i apologize, but I'm getting confused again.

There is a lot of talk on here about soul nights not living up to their billing i.e. not playing the kind of music they say just to get people through the door.

Now I don't want to get too bogged down with genres as I'm sure thet all overlap at some points but I'm trying to get a handle on what terms like 'crossover' and 'modern' should mean when it comes to a soul night.

I can pretty much work out the qualification criteria for 60's and 70's :wave: , but these other two perplex me a little.

For example (for you DJ's out there), if you had to put together a ten record crossover or modern set what would be on it.

I'm after the absolute monster tracks of those genres, not just current faves (although the term 'modern' may contradict me on that) but stuff that would define the genre. Money no object, it's a fantasy DJ set if you like.

Social source share

• Replies 2
  • Views 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a bit similar to a couple of other recent posts, for which i apologize, but I'm getting confused again.

There is a lot of talk on here about soul nights not living up to their billing i.e. not playing the kind of music they say just to get people through the door.

Now I don't want to get too bogged down with genres as I'm sure thet all overlap at some points but I'm trying to get a handle on what terms like 'crossover' and 'modern' should mean when it comes to a soul night.

I can pretty much work out the qualification criteria for 60's and 70's :) , but these other two perplex me a little.

For example (for you DJ's out there), if you had to put together a ten record crossover or modern set what would be on it.

I'm after the absolute monster tracks of those genres, not just current faves (although the term 'modern' may contradict me on that) but stuff that would define the genre. Money no object, it's a fantasy DJ set if you like.

So am I!.. good luck. :shades:

It means different things to every individual I figured. Do you just want top 10 that you'd play at a soul night or a person's favourite ever crossover / modern tunes?

Jayne.x

Social source share

So am I!.. good luck. :)

It means different things to every individual I figured. Do you just want top 10 that you'd play at a soul night or a person's favourite ever crossover / modern tunes?

Jayne.x

I don't know....my brain hurts.

Favourites I suppose, but it will probably be stuff that you've heard so many times that you've got tired of it by now (like many people have with the oldies stuff) but it really defines what 'crossover' sounds like, or am I readin too much into this.

Probably easier just to go to a night and see for myself but I just wondered what were the stand-out tunes.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!