Is Your Collection Your Pension?

Blake H

Over the years I've heard this mentioned a few times usually from self-employed people, it usually goes something like this.....my collection books at £200k, its my pension fund etc etc.

With the credit crunch and the very limited number of dealers with that kind of funds I think some folk might be in for a nasty shock.

Are you or anyone you know relying on the value of a record collection for a pension in old age??

Blake

Social source share

• Replies 112
  • Views 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Over the years I've heard this mentioned a few times usually from self-employed people, it usually goes something like this.....my collection books at £200k, its my pension fund etc etc.

With the credit crunch and the very limited number of dealers with that kind of funds I think some folk might be in for a nasty shock.

Are you or anyone you know relying on the value of a record collection for a pension in old age??

Blake

I agree with you blake anyone banking on there record collection to fund there retirement is very foolish.

Social source share

sold my collection first time around for that old devil called love, mine aint going nowhere, gonna give em all to a junk shop in my will, and maybe just maybe someone will be writing on a forum topic called your greatest finds, well we can all dream biggrin.gif

Did I mention I run a charity shop? :thumbup:

Social source share

Hmmm...never really though about this...obviously i'm Slightly younger...so what happens when you all pop your clogs...will the records decrease in value significantly...I mean there ARE youngsters coming into the scene behind...but not enough to make the prices of record sustainable surely? Hmmm...food for thought

Social source share

one of my pensions usually take a beating about once every 2 or 3 years i.e. Equitable Life style beatings. I lost about a 3rd of that one

My pensions in reality will probably be worth absolutely diddly squat by the time I retire :thumbup: maybe a box of cheapies would bring me more of a return thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest ruffsounds

I am just in the process of re-pricing my collection up and adding stuff that i have bought over the last couple of years onto my comp, as my missus has no idea of the value and after having had a couple of heart attacks thought it would be a good idea so as at least let her know they are worth more than the 50p she would probably sell them for :lol: but i also told her what friends to ask to help her and not to sell as a job lot but say 10 or so at a time to get the best possible prices as we all know buying a job lot is way cheaper.

But hopefully i will still be around for a long time, but it is nice to know that there is a bit of cash tucked away in my vinyl if and when its needed.

cheers Ralph

Social source share

At some stage in the future they'll all be totally worthless.

Supply and demand gets quoted alot and in 30 years time when most of us are dead - guess what? there wont be any demand. The number of new collectors will in no way keep pace with us lot throwing off our mortal coils. If I was relying on mine as any kind of investment I'd be getting rid sharpish

Social source share

Supply and demand gets quoted alot and in 30 years time when most of us are dead - guess what? there wont be any demand. The number of new collectors will in no way keep pace with us lot throwing off our mortal coils. If I was relying on mine as any kind of investment I'd be getting rid sharpish

Yes but no but yeah but no, the scene is constantly growing in europe and overseas.

What will happen is that people with no access or money will start playing the kent/ reissue game first, then move to some cheaper originals and then end up paying more once funds are available to them.

Altough the price may drop in the future, you should think about places like Eastern Europe, Asia...There is already a Soul Club in Moskau....What about China and other places where the growing economy will create more disposible income. I was born in East Germany and we had different kind of music scenes. Well, records were expensive but with the odd cassettes we had some wicked Punk, Ska, Soul, Gothic, Metall....illegal or even legal Clubs/Happenings. Once the wall came down I started to hunt down some of those Soul and Ska tunes myself.

Soul is also linked to the Mod, Scooter and Skinhead Scene and more and more youngsters get into Soul through that.

Just try not clocking off that quickly and you will be allright :lol:

Social source share

Guest familytree

God dont depress me! I keep tellin my inferior half we should consider shifting a lot of the collection, especially as we have 2 copies of most stuff (dont ask!) He wont have any of it... so ive thought about sneakin them out 10 at a time but there will be murder if im caught! drives me nuts telling me what this track n that track is fetching... its worth nothing unless your selling and there is a buyer!

My children wouldnt thank you for them and see it as a white elephant unless they are sold now while there is still an interest... its a worry as we have no pension... didnt believe in them and looks like we were not far wrong on that score... anyway where shall i list the first 10 tunes?! :lol: oh and mums the word! x

Social source share

I´m not going to sell my records when I retire, because that´s when I will finally have time to listen to and enjoy all my records. I have a huge room crammed with vinyl, and being so busy at work and with family life, my only chance to really delve into my collection and play those records is when I get some free time, hope I live long and with my health intact, then I can use the last years of life to go through those stacks of records at long last...LOL...

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

i'm also of the opinion that sooner rather than later they will be worthless and maybe i've been preparing for that a i have let go of a lot of "bigger" tunes (not massive of course but big enough , dusty wilson, patience valentine, big daddy rogers , johnnie taylor , jimmy ricks etc etc ) usually swapping them for 5-6 new(to me) tunes ...it rotates my sets and keeps my crowd at basics happy

Social source share

Guest mel brat

'told ya last July...!

post-4950-1232833616_thumb.jpg

(I once commented that a couple of my rarest records would probably be "...buried with me", whereupon a couple of my friends promised to attend my funeral... armed with shovels!) :lol:

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Very interesting discussion. Where have I heard 'there not worth anything if your not selling them' before! Of course once your dead do you care anymore? I agree that it is not a very sound pension fund strategy, but the point about telling your loved ones who to trust to sell them is very valid, especially if tomorrow is your day to be hit by a number 47, Cheers, Ady

Social source share

Guest familytree

Very interesting discussion. Where have I heard 'there not worth anything if your not selling them' before! Of course once your dead do you care anymore? I agree that it is not a very sound pension fund strategy, but the point about telling your loved ones who to trust to sell them is very valid, especially if tomorrow is your day to be hit by a number 47, Cheers, Ady

where have you heard 'there not worth anything if your not selling them... let me guess?! :P Not sure who I would ask to plough through them all and value/sell them if we get hit by a bus tomorrow... wouldnt wish that task on my worst ememy! Anyway Im hoping i live long enough to enjoy some return... but I think someone will have to go before me to allow that, even then i suspect he would haunt me to my grave! :lol: .. bless him x

Social source share

This is a very good thread, i have a very good friend who has a massive collection he was on the dole for three years and never sold a thing, he still lives with his dad and weve all told him at one time or another to sell up & get his own place but he won`t hear of it, he still collects, the only way you ever get anything off him is if he betters the label he allready has, i personally don`t think he`ll ever sell those records, so what are the records worth to him? :lol:

Social source share

Guest familytree

This is a very good thread, i have a very good friend who has a massive collection he was on the dole for three years and never sold a thing, he still lives with his dad and weve all told him at one time or another to sell up & get his own place but he won`t hear of it, he still collects, the only way you ever get anything off him is if he betters the label he allready has, i personally don`t think he`ll ever sell those records, so what are the records worth to him? :no:

Obviously 'priceless' to him... we have had hard times over the years like most people i imagine but still never sold a tune... madness really... it will end up being melted n recycled! god what a thought... what shall we do?! suggestions please as Im feeling quite anxious about it all..

I have suggested before starting a thread entitled " Did N.S ruin your life" its a really valid question... beyond the joy and pleasure, the memories, the lifestyle it has brought...I know we neglected a lot of other things along the way.. what would life have held without it...ooh i think im dying, my life is passing before my eyes!

Social source share

This is a very good thread, i have a very good friend who has a massive collection he was on the dole for three years and never sold a thing, he still lives with his dad and weve all told him at one time or another to sell up & get his own place but he won`t hear of it, he still collects, the only way you ever get anything off him is if he betters the label he allready has, i personally don`t think he`ll ever sell those records, so what are the records worth to him? :no:

CHANCES ARE THO HARRY, YOURE TALKIN ABOUT ONE OF THE RARE BREED ON THE SCENE MR RONNIE PED WHO ALWAYS TAKES THINGS AT FACE VALUE WHICH REGRETTABLY MOST OF US ON THIS SCENE SADLY DON'T.

BRI PINCH

SUNDAY CHILLOUT, 1ST MARCH, HORSE AND GROOM PUB, EAST LAITH GATE, DONCASTER.

Social source share

I suppose it all depends on what you mean by is your collection is your pension :yes: .Obviously you must have a few ultra rare tunes in your collection to be in the frame & how long do you keep em,the northern scene is still massive on the oldies/underplayed & crossover modern scene etc.So while ever the scene is vibrant your collection his priceless.

From a personal point of view this scene is here to stay for at least the next 10 + years,so i suppose in 2019 + years there will be a rush of collectors wanting to off load their mega rare tunes to, guess who! no f--ker :no: .

Social source share

Vinyl records (especially rare stuff) have been collectable for the best part of 60 years. There will ALWAYS be a demand for certain sounds be it Rock N' Roll, Ska, Soul, RnB....just look at today's groups....Kaiser Chiefs, Franz Ferdinand, White Stripes etc etc....the sound is dated back to the 1960's and so is the look. Turn radio 1 on, listen to a 'new' group and you could be back in 1966!!!!! Most of these new groups love a bit of old Soul/Motown/The Who/Small Faces and you often hear them sing their praises in interviews.

My point is this, GREAT music NEVER dies...it just goes round in circles. I was talking to a 'kid' the other day (23 year old), a fan of the new 'Mod' groups and he's getting into old vinyl (which is making a 'comeback' according to the papers....I'm sure that statement comes out every year!)

I think our collections are ALWAYS going to worth something, even in another 100 years. Just my opinion though.

Social source share

I have specific instructions with my solicitors in my will for them all to be destroyed when I peg it.

Phil

almo and i have made a pact who ever dies first the over sells them on the behalf of there family (and keep a few for themselves) think i should do ok :no:

Social source share

I have specific instructions with my solicitors in my will for them all to be destroyed when I peg it.

Phil

How about giving em' to your church to sell and do something usefull with the money they make at the church table top sale ? what a waste Phil dont you think ?

Social source share

Phil

When I finally shuffle off this mortal coil , I know full well mine will be GIVEN AWAY ..........

No applicants yet please , as " I Ain't Going Nowhere " for quite some time ( I hope :no: ) .........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

I've been talking of selling up for about the last 6 months to a year. Not to realise an investment but just because I'm not sure why I'm still buying vinyl.

I quite often look at my reord collection and think "Why have I got these? I should just record them onto CD and sell them off". Then I buy more records. I rarely DJ these days so don't have that as an excuse.

I enjoy my modest collection but when I think of the money I've spent (and am still spending) on them I have difficulty justifying it. I sometimes think that the reality part of my brain switches off when it comes to buying records.

I think of the value of them and feel that it could be put to some better use, but nothing springs to mind that I would enjoy more at the moment.

I'm sure a psychologist/psychiatrist would have a field day! :unsure:

Social source share

This is the key point 'but nothing springs to mind that I would enjoy more at the moment'.

If you stop enjoying it then sellup. If you have something else you want to do and your records will supply the £££'s to do it, sell up. If not keep buying, as long as you can afford it! But never destroy them. Just think of the pleasure they could give someone, Cheers, Ady

Social source share

This is the key point 'but nothing springs to mind that I would enjoy more at the moment'.

If you stop enjoying it then sellup. If you have something else you want to do and your records will supply the £££'s to do it, sell up. If not keep buying, as long as you can afford it! But never destroy them. Just think of the pleasure they could give someone, Cheers, Ady

Ya beat me to the punch :unsure:

Obviously, if times are tough, we may all be forced to sell our assets. Our records are assets - let's face it.

Depending on future desperation and how happy they make us compared to what else we could give up first - will make the decision for us.

I think some are trying to justify the reason they buy vinyl - and most do it simply for enjoyment and/or the vinyl disease.

The topic related to those who purely buy as an investment (ie. their pension). I guess some could dabble by buying vinyl and storing them away for a future sale - but I can't see it occuring purely for that unemotional reason. Buying the odd gold or silver ignot or dabbling on the stock market would make more sense to me.

I'm very emotionally attached to my vinyl and can't seem to ever let things go. (It really bothered me recently, when I finally sold one of my spares to Sam, but he's a good nagger and caught me in a xmas moment.) But at the same time, I must admit that having bought some vinyl over the years gives me greater comfort for my old age than if I'd spent the same on a shoe or dress collection. Nobody knows what's around the corner.

...Good thing is - if I keep going like this, I probably won't live long enough to ever need to make the choice :D

m

Social source share

How about giving em' to your church to sell and do something usefull with the money they make at the church table top sale ? what a waste Phil dont you think ?

The hassle that would be involved for people in selling 'em would be more than it would be worth.

It has a certain appeal though. Saturday morning, church bring & buy sale full of dubious looking charcters after vinyl bargains:)

I'd love to see that. But of course as I'd be gone I wouldn't be avle to :unsure:

Social source share

No, it's not a joke. Why would it be?

Just means that other copies of every record I own will be that little bit rarer once I've shuffled off this mortal coil :unsure:

Phil

Very selfish for someone who is a Christian i think .

Social source share

Very selfish for someone who is a Christian i think .

Why selfish? I'll be leaving everything else to good causes

They probably won't be worth owt by the time I peg it anyway (which will hopefully still be a while off yet), and I don't know if any of my family that would be bothered to take the trouble to sort 'em out.

Social source share

Shouldn't rely ONLY on liquidating vinyl for retirement. But I don't agree with the notion of diminishing value for original vinyl. Heres why..

Soul music is uniquely different from other genres of music, in that it just grabs you at the core and pulls your heart strings forever. With that comes a sustainable longevity to all those that are ever blessed with the encounter to this wonderful music. Its not a fad, but a lifelong passion and friend. With this goes the scene/events and the collecting side of things. These things play out in a set of values, and the caring and preservation of a music that means so much more than other musical types.

Secondly. we live in ancient times! Born in black 60's America, cradled in the industrial heartlands of northern of England; the child as only just started to crawl. The US has just recently started to become serious collectors and punters to the "Northern Soul Thing", venues and collectors on the increase. Europe, Japan, and soon eastern Europe, China etc etc.

Sometimes we can slip into thinking about Northern Soul as a (UK older folks) bubble. Its far from that, and is still in its early days. Kind of liken it to say 'football' a now global sport. Not the greatest of analogies, but you get the idea.

Bottom line.. it will more than just survive, it will flourish .. globally. Is rare soul vinyl a good long term in investment? Of course it is.

Thats how I see it.

Having difficulty with this. China? Average income around $2300[professionals] and $1500 [manual] in 2005/2006. Having paid rent,food,utilities disposable income? Can't see that as a market to offload your "investment" now or in the future.

Of course you're also supposing thriving soul scene. On what evidence? I've never met anyone of Chinese ethnicity on the scene in 40 years.

Sorry Andy but collectors will diminish and whilst always possibilty of younger fans I doubt they'll be hung up on vinyl.

ROD

Social source share

Why selfish? I'll be leaving everything else to good causes

They probably won't be worth owt by the time I peg it anyway (which will hopefully still be a while off yet), and I don't know if any of my family that would be bothered to take the trouble to sort 'em out.

As i said earlier your church table top sale might get a few bob,not to mention the mess destroying your oil based plastic is gonna' cause not very green is it,i would rather give em' away let someone have em' think it called recycling isnt it,and someone gets a warm and a feed at Christmas with the money's.

Social source share

As i said earlier your church table top sale might get a few bob,not to mention the mess destroying your oil based plastic is gonna' cause not very green is it,i would rather give em' away let someone have em' think it called recycling isnt it,and someone gets a warm and a feed at Christmas with the money's.

You know what Ken? You're right.

I think it was just the old (pre-christian) me rearing his ugly head, being possessive etc etc.

Thanks you for showing me the light (and I mean that sincerely, not sarcastically).

I will be altering my will this week and instructing them to organise a post-mortem auction of my vinyl. That way the church will benefit and do some good with the dosh.

Phil

Social source share

You know what Ken? You're right.

I think it was just the old (pre-christian) me rearing his ugly head, being possessive etc etc.

Thanks you for showing me the light (and I mean that sincerely, not sarcastically).

I will be altering my will this week and instructing them to organise a post-mortem auction of my vinyl. That way the church will benefit and do some good with the dosh.

Phil

Nice one Phil :thumbup:

Social source share

whilst always possibilty of younger fans I doubt they'll be hung up on vinyl.

ROD

Now that statement I can guarantee you is well wide of the mark...Vinyl in general has never been so popular amongst the youth culture...so it stands to reason that IF more youth embraced the soul scene that the level of vinyl purchases would be unaffected...the only thing youth might baulk at is the cost...the younger age bracket does not have the disposable income that say...the 30+ buyers might have

Social source share

Now that statement I can guarantee you is well wide of the mark...Vinyl in general has never been so popular amongst the youth culture...so it stands to reason that IF more youth embraced the soul scene that the level of vinyl purchases would be unaffected...the only thing youth might baulk at is the cost...the younger age bracket does not have the disposable income that say...the 30+ buyers might have

That may be true Beeks and didn't I read it on here about an increase in vinyl sales in the USA. However I don't think they're referring to £500 45s, are they?

If average age is now 50 [again on here] I guess in 10 years time when most will be 60 and over these younger guys will be 30+ and have the funds available.

Still not convinced though.

ROD

Social source share

Guest familytree

Shouldn't rely ONLY on liquidating vinyl for retirement. But I don't agree with the notion of diminishing value for original vinyl. Heres why..

Soul music is uniquely different from other genres of music, in that it just grabs you at the core and pulls your heart strings forever. With that comes a sustainable longevity to all those that are ever blessed with the encounter to this wonderful music. Its not a fad, but a lifelong passion and friend. With this goes the scene/events and the collecting side of things. These things play out in a set of values, and the caring and preservation of a music that means so much more than other musical types.

Secondly. we live in ancient times! Born in black 60's America, cradled in the industrial heartlands of northern of England; the child as only just started to crawl. The US has just recently started to become serious collectors and punters to the "Northern Soul Thing", venues and collectors on the increase. Europe, Japan, and soon eastern Europe, China etc etc.

Sometimes we can slip into thinking about Northern Soul as a (UK older folks) bubble. Its far from that, and is still in its early days. Kind of liken it to say 'football' a now global sport. Not the greatest of analogies, but you get the idea.

Bottom line.. it will more than just survive, it will flourish .. globally. Is rare soul vinyl a good long term in investment? Of course it is.

Thats how I see it.

God you have cheered me up! and yes I think a lot of us think of this genre as A small minority in this country inthe main and forget about the world wide interest.... thanks,, i feel happier! xx

Social source share

Of course they're only worth anything when you sell 'em,and you can only profit from that once.

A few major collectors will benefit from sales,but the majority of us would just profit in the short term.

No-ones mentioned how sentimental we are about our records.

Selling up? What and miss out playing 'em wrapped in a blanket with a one bar fire on? :thumbup: .

I didn't buy mine with a view to make a killing,although a bit back would be nice.

I've tried to convince the missus with the " All this will be your's when i'm gone" :wicked: ,not the same as a regular pension is it.

Edited by KevH
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!