• Replies 112
  • Views 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest familytree

Of course they're only worth anything when you sell 'em,and you can only profit from that once.

A few major collectors will benefit from sales,but the majority of us would just profit in the short term.

No-ones mentioned how sentimental we are about our records.

Selling up? What and miss out playing 'em wrapped in a blanket with a one bar fire on? :thumbup: .

I didn't buy mine with a view to make a killing,although a bit back would be nice.

I've tried to convince the missus with the " All this will be your's when i'm gone" :wicked: ,not the same as a regular pension is it.

I dont think anyone bought with a pension in mind to be honest but in this financial climate and time passing by it does come into play... along with who your leaving your house to.. its an asset that has to be considered with old age but no we never bought anything with a pension in mind.. in fact we never bought anything expensive.. refused to, there was loads of great tunes out there that didnt cost the earth... just increased in value over the years so definately an asset in old age should you end up having to pay for a nursing home!... god i was feelin happy a minute ago! sigh...

Social source share

Having difficulty with this. China? Average income around $2300[professionals] and $1500 [manual] in 2005/2006. Having paid rent,food,utilities disposable income? Can't see that as a market to offload your "investment" now or in the future.

Of course you're also supposing thriving soul scene. On what evidence? I've never met anyone of Chinese ethnicity on the scene in 40 years.

Sorry Andy but collectors will diminish and whilst always possibilty of younger fans I doubt they'll be hung up on vinyl.

ROD

Oh you are so wrong. :wicked: Well, do you know that there is a Punk, R&R, and Skinhead Scene in China (some even listen to Soul). Did you know that as I have mentioned above that you had Mods, Punks, Exies, Skins, Jazzer in Eastern Europe before the wall came down? It was mainly cassettes in the beginning but once we had access people started to buy the real stuff. By the way our average income in East Germany was around $3500[professionals] but people still bought (on the black market) records of there favourite artist.

Sometimes wayyyyy over the odds. I am talking stuff you can get for 9 DM which was sold for 150+ in East Germany!!!!! Old people over 60 were able to travel to West Germany and therefore responsible for all those records brought to East Germany.

Same goes for Mexico, Philippines....One always leads to another and like in Europe those scene's will later cater for Northern Soul and therefore at some point people will start to collect the real thing.

A few russians buy Northern Soul (originals) and play it at their Soul and Mod Club. Average income ???

By the way when Northern Soul was dead in the 80's :thumbup: did the price drop that much???

Social source share

Just one example of a Soul Mod Band of few miles away:

The mad mod world of Juan Pablo dream

By Eric S. Caruncho

Inquirer

First Posted 04:15am (Mla time) 07/01/2007

Filed Under: Music, Fashion, Entertainment (general)

MANILA, Philippines - "Isputing."

If I could only use one word to describe Juan Pablo Dream, that's the word I would choose.

The walls are already sweating, and so is the band, when JPD frontman Bing Austria counts off the first number of their set at Route 196,a cover of Little Stevie Wonder's early Motown hit "Uptight", but they remain sharp, stylish, "isputing."

I mean, who wears a cardigan in the Philippines, in June? Specially if you're going to be doing the boogaloo for the remainder of the set, as Austria will? But with JPD, the look is as important as the sound, and the band's ensemble is as carefully choreographed as their set of uptempo groove-driven dance floor soul anthems.

Austria is wearing a porkpie hat, sunglasses at night like Corey Hart, a button-down white shirt and a tie under his red cardigan, a pair of vintage Levi's Sta-prest trousers with knife-edge creases, and Ben Sherman bowling shoes. The rest of the band are similarly outfitted in Ben Sherman track jackets and Fred Perry polos. One horn player is even stylin' in a sharp slim-cut suit.

Your average T-shirt and Chuck Taylor-wearing emo kid would probably find it weird, but Victor "Knock On" Wood would probably feel right at home, as would Tony "Agent X-44" Ferrer, who puts in a cameo in the band's music video for their single "Nice Place."

The band's entire philosophy is nicely summed up in the lyrics to one of their songs:

Gonna dress up sharp tonight

So I will feel all right

Im gonna dance all night

Until the morning light

Have a good time, yeah yeah yeah!

If nothing else, Austria lends credence to my pet theory that people have a special affinity with the music of the year they were born in. The oldest member of the group, he was born in 1964, the very peak of the Mod era.

Daddy, what's a Mod?

Short for "Modernists," the Mods were one of Britain's youth tribes in the Sixties. Obsessed with style, the Mods dressed in Italian-cut suits and rode Italian scooters like Vespas and Lambrettas, listened to Black American soul music or Mod bands like the Who, the Kinks and the Small Faces, and spent most their nights in amphetamine-fueled dance parties. By day, most of them worked in order to finance their chosen lifestyle.

Being a Mod was all about correctness: the right cut of a jacket, the right hairstyle, the right shirt, and making the right scene, although since styles changed rapidly it was hard to keep up.

Their sworn enemies were the Rockers, who derived their style from Marlon Brando in "The Wild One": They wore leather jackets and rode big British bikes' Triumphs, BSAs or Nortons, and listened to old-fashioned rock 'n roll. The Rockers sneered at the Mods' underpowered scooters and prissy fashion sense. In 1964, the year of Austria's birth, the Mods and Rockers finally clashed in a riot at a beach resort, an event celebrated in the quintessential Mod film "Quadrophenia."

By the end of the Sixties, the Mods devolved: those with money became fashion hippies, those without became the Skinheads. But in the punk era, Mod underwent a revival, fueled by the popularity of the Jam and its stylish frontman Paul Weller, who remains a Mod icon to this day.

Since then, Mod has periodically resurrected itself, notably during the Britpop years with the rise of Oasis and Blur, bands that adopted Mod touchstones such as Italian scooters and sharp suits. The Mod lifestyle continues to attract followers in London , LA, Japan and, Bulacan?

"We actually started playing gigs in Malolos," says Austria.

After leaving his previous band, the much-loved Put3Ska, Austria says he went into hibernation, eventually landing in Bulacan where he was surprised to find a vibrant and diverse music scene. During a stint singing lounge songs in a Malolos bar, he got to talking about ska and soul music with bassist Alex Dumlao and guitarist Au Castro, and in 2003 they decided to form Juan Pablo Dream. Initially they were toying with the idea of playing bossa nova (hence the vaguely Brazilian-sounding band name) but eventually ditched the idea in favor of playing straight ahead uptempo soul.

Austria infected the rest of the band with his long-held stylistic obsessions, and by the time they made it to Manila and a record deal with hip indie label Terno Recordings, they were a Mod band. The lineup, which includes Eman Tabujara on sax and Igor Carpio on trumpet, further solidified after the band released their debut album "Soul Up!" when Austria's Put3Ska cohort Luis "Weslu" Guiang joined on drums. Like Austria, a veteran of the Eighties punk scene, Guiang added a hard-driving groove to the mix.

"From the start, even in our first gig in Manila, patok kaagad (we were a hit)," says Austria. "I guess the kids were looking for a different sound. I thought we would attract an older audience, but our first gigs at Saguijo were jampacked, and a lot of the audience were Mods, they were dressed right. A lot of scooter boys also got into our scene."

Tragically, Guiang died in January this year after the Vespa he was riding was hit by a truck. A flurry of tribute concerts and benefit gigs followed, extending all the way to the Visayas and beyond. Old expat fans of Put3Ska reportedly held benefits as far away as the US and Europe.

"Weslu's death really crippled us," says Austria. "It's different when you have a drummer who knows the groove, and the culture from punk to ska to jazz to Mod."

Fortunately, the band has found a replacement in 17-year-old drum prodigy Aldwin Fernando, who pounds the skins convincingly.

"He's not quite a Mod yet," says Austria, nodding to Aldwin's Crocodile polo shirt and decidedly un-Mod trousers. "But we're working on it."

Social source share

Just one example of a Soul Mod Band of few miles away:

The mad mod world of Juan Pablo dream

By Eric S. Caruncho

Inquirer

First Posted 04:15am (Mla time) 07/01/2007

Filed Under: Music, Fashion, Entertainment (general)

MANILA, Philippines - "Isputing."

If I could only use one word to describe Juan Pablo Dream, that's the word I would choose.

The walls are already sweating, and so is the band, when JPD frontman Bing Austria counts off the first number of their set at Route 196,a cover of Little Stevie Wonder's early Motown hit "Uptight", but they remain sharp, stylish, "isputing."

I mean, who wears a cardigan in the Philippines, in June? Specially if you're going to be doing the boogaloo for the remainder of the set, as Austria will? But with JPD, the look is as important as the sound, and the band's ensemble is as carefully choreographed as their set of uptempo groove-driven dance floor soul anthems.

Austria is wearing a porkpie hat, sunglasses at night like Corey Hart, a button-down white shirt and a tie under his red cardigan, a pair of vintage Levi's Sta-prest trousers with knife-edge creases, and Ben Sherman bowling shoes. The rest of the band are similarly outfitted in Ben Sherman track jackets and Fred Perry polos. One horn player is even stylin' in a sharp slim-cut suit.

Your average T-shirt and Chuck Taylor-wearing emo kid would probably find it weird, but Victor "Knock On" Wood would probably feel right at home, as would Tony "Agent X-44" Ferrer, who puts in a cameo in the band's music video for their single "Nice Place."

The band's entire philosophy is nicely summed up in the lyrics to one of their songs:

Gonna dress up sharp tonight

So I will feel all right

Im gonna dance all night

Until the morning light

Have a good time, yeah yeah yeah!

If nothing else, Austria lends credence to my pet theory that people have a special affinity with the music of the year they were born in. The oldest member of the group, he was born in 1964, the very peak of the Mod era.

Daddy, what's a Mod?

Short for "Modernists," the Mods were one of Britain's youth tribes in the Sixties. Obsessed with style, the Mods dressed in Italian-cut suits and rode Italian scooters like Vespas and Lambrettas, listened to Black American soul music or Mod bands like the Who, the Kinks and the Small Faces, and spent most their nights in amphetamine-fueled dance parties. By day, most of them worked in order to finance their chosen lifestyle.

Being a Mod was all about correctness: the right cut of a jacket, the right hairstyle, the right shirt, and making the right scene, although since styles changed rapidly it was hard to keep up.

Their sworn enemies were the Rockers, who derived their style from Marlon Brando in "The Wild One": They wore leather jackets and rode big British bikes' Triumphs, BSAs or Nortons, and listened to old-fashioned rock 'n roll. The Rockers sneered at the Mods' underpowered scooters and prissy fashion sense. In 1964, the year of Austria's birth, the Mods and Rockers finally clashed in a riot at a beach resort, an event celebrated in the quintessential Mod film "Quadrophenia."

By the end of the Sixties, the Mods devolved: those with money became fashion hippies, those without became the Skinheads. But in the punk era, Mod underwent a revival, fueled by the popularity of the Jam and its stylish frontman Paul Weller, who remains a Mod icon to this day.

Since then, Mod has periodically resurrected itself, notably during the Britpop years with the rise of Oasis and Blur, bands that adopted Mod touchstones such as Italian scooters and sharp suits. The Mod lifestyle continues to attract followers in London , LA, Japan and, Bulacan?

"We actually started playing gigs in Malolos," says Austria.

After leaving his previous band, the much-loved Put3Ska, Austria says he went into hibernation, eventually landing in Bulacan where he was surprised to find a vibrant and diverse music scene. During a stint singing lounge songs in a Malolos bar, he got to talking about ska and soul music with bassist Alex Dumlao and guitarist Au Castro, and in 2003 they decided to form Juan Pablo Dream. Initially they were toying with the idea of playing bossa nova (hence the vaguely Brazilian-sounding band name) but eventually ditched the idea in favor of playing straight ahead uptempo soul.

Austria infected the rest of the band with his long-held stylistic obsessions, and by the time they made it to Manila and a record deal with hip indie label Terno Recordings, they were a Mod band. The lineup, which includes Eman Tabujara on sax and Igor Carpio on trumpet, further solidified after the band released their debut album "Soul Up!" when Austria's Put3Ska cohort Luis "Weslu" Guiang joined on drums. Like Austria, a veteran of the Eighties punk scene, Guiang added a hard-driving groove to the mix.

"From the start, even in our first gig in Manila, patok kaagad (we were a hit)," says Austria. "I guess the kids were looking for a different sound. I thought we would attract an older audience, but our first gigs at Saguijo were jampacked, and a lot of the audience were Mods, they were dressed right. A lot of scooter boys also got into our scene."

Tragically, Guiang died in January this year after the Vespa he was riding was hit by a truck. A flurry of tribute concerts and benefit gigs followed, extending all the way to the Visayas and beyond. Old expat fans of Put3Ska reportedly held benefits as far away as the US and Europe.

"Weslu's death really crippled us," says Austria. "It's different when you have a drummer who knows the groove, and the culture from punk to ska to jazz to Mod."

Fortunately, the band has found a replacement in 17-year-old drum prodigy Aldwin Fernando, who pounds the skins convincingly.

"He's not quite a Mod yet," says Austria, nodding to Aldwin's Crocodile polo shirt and decidedly un-Mod trousers. "But we're working on it."

:P does that mean your collection is or isn't your pension? :P

Social source share

Yep, I did read the topic title before and as with topics they move around the subject a bit therefore my first post was a reply to Steve L :P

What the fukc did Steve L say then ?. :P .......... :D

Social source share

Guest soulboy

Reading this topic made me sit down and wonder why i collect records ,i was looking at a big box a friend had for sale ,in the past i would have just asked what he wanted for the lot [ not mega rare ] but as a working dj stuff that would come in ,And to be honest if i never bought another record i could get by with what iv all ready got ,So why do it ? I think it just gets in to you you dont think about what its worth in the long term well i dont ,you hear a song and want it so bad,When i retire a want to enjoy them more ,We all know people who have passed away and I have wondered what happened to there collection's but never ask cos it just dont seem right.

Social source share

I can't believe how much some of these records sell for now! Don't seem right, least the missus didn't realise when she did the runner and took my dog with her.

Social source share

What the fukc did Steve L say then ?. :P .......... :wicked:

just talking to myself as usual Ken :D

Dont worry I'm used to it

Seriously I havent read anything to convince me that there will be a comparable demand for soul records in say 30 years time. It reminds me of all the times I've heard people say "put your money into bricks & mortar, the value never comes down" ...... Yeah right :P

When I've kicked the bucket, my kids will be increasing the size of their inheritance by selling my records to China or Eastern Europe? sorry...........

Social source share

Guest familytree

TALKING OF COLLECTIONS WE ARE IN THE PROCESS OF LOOKING FOR NEW SHELVING TO HOUSE IT ALL AND I CAME ACROSS THIS ADVERT...

ACRPlain and solid storage system for 12" vinyls. This Record Box is made of quality MDF wood, finished in a durable black paint. Holds 230 records.

*vinyl not included

do they really have to point this out???!!! there must be some lunatics out there

Social source share

Hi Rod, hope you're well.

ref. thread, ... think about this,

who owns big British football clubs

In 6 years from now there will be more people in China earning excess today equivalent of £50k plus

20 years ago, how much do you think the average Jap worker was earning???

5 Years ago, how much do you think the average Polish worker was earning??

Rod, 'The World Is Flat' , check out the book its quite amazing.

Beeks does have a great point ref, youth culture.

Take care,

Andy

Football clubs? Er... Russians and Saudis. Americans. Stuck now as Im a part-time follower of Stockport County. No idea how that relates to Northern Soul scene.

Japan? Quite a lot I would imagine. Enough for Japanese dealers to have been popping over to USA and buying and selling 45s since the 70's that I know of.

Poland? Not much which is why we had a recent influx.

Where is your evidence of these embryonic soul scenes in China, sub-Continent, Eastern Europe etc. There's hardly any in the USA and Europe compared to the UK now. See the recent thread.

For it to be sustainable we shoulda seen a growth over here. When was the last time there was a large influx of 15-18 year olds onto the scene. It wasn't 2008. Probably 1970 and 1975. That's why the average age is 50. If it's not attractive to younger people over here why would it be so in other places where there is no scene to speak of.

Anyway we are talking about an investment not whether the scene will exist in some form in ten years time. You buy a 45 now and you'll make a profit if you sell come retirement. It's ludicrous as is your rationale. As Steve L says sounds like something the financial markets would come up with and we know where that got us.

ROD

Social source share

Its a shame that we are in a situation where the price of records sometimes seem more important that whats actually in the grooves. They seem to be used as a commodity a lot of the time largely so people know where they are in the heirachy of the scene, which is something that quite clearly exists.

Look at the language that dealers use when selling records......

But its no different to a myriad of other pursuits that involve acquiring possessions and supply & demand so you just have to accept it for what it is....I'm not complaining btw... :thumbup:

Edited by mulf
Social source share

:thumbup: To the point in question

I dont think its wise for anyone to think that your collection should be relied on to fund your pension there may well be some young people coming through and it may well become a world wide revolution ( no.gif I think not) but as a nest egg in the next 15/20 years, a definate "No No"

Putting the sentiment aside and looking at them from purly a commodity angle, I would suggest folk who may be thinking of selling later on, look at the idea now, maybe to pay off the mortgage etc, if you were lucky enough to get that out the way, then you could possibly enjoy life now as opposed to when you may too old to enjoy it, and OK some of you will say "but I enjoy listening to my records" Id rather do that than go on holiday etc etc, some may be lucky enough to say I dont need to sell them, again fine, my point is aimed at anyone who is thinking a few years down the line "My records are my pension"

Also another point we should consider

A lot of us who collected in the early days, picked up shit loads of records which went on to become very popular,and in time realise a extremely healthy profit (from a value point of view)

I can think of lots of £2 - £5 records which have gone on to be worth anything from £100 -£250 in value, and although a fiver got you a lot in the late 70ts,£250 gets you a lot more today, so what Im saying is records today are expensive there not bargains, this in turn puts new faces off collecting, but the main factor is will the £100 record of today be worth £3-400 in the next twenty years, I dont think they will, I realy do believe records bought today will struggle to worth them prices 10-15 years down the line, this will also put people off collecting.

:lol: Ramble over with

Social source share

Contradiction in terms.

Music collecting and pension don't go together.

Ever seen old footage of The States when there's the old black chap blowin' dixie on his beat up old instrument - that's his pension.I respect his or her efforts that I have been priveleged to listen to and how anyone can consider putting that in the context of a pension is well beyond me.

Paul

Social source share

C´mon guys !!! It is just a lovely PASSION not PENSION we all share REGARDLESS of the future value!!! I hope you look at your collection and think of it seriously as a pention just during a funny moment we all have now and then.

That is a whole new threat :thumbup: then: When do you think of your collection as a pension !!!

My thoughts:

Well, normally when you start adding up how much you spent on it and how much you told your miss or ...when the hip replacement is due but you just saw your big want at half price.

Ok. if you do think of it as a pension please all sell now at the same time :lol:smile.gif:D:lol::lol::)

Social source share

all of mine are going to my son, he will use them as frizbies no doubt, there starts the end of my collection...!!

what can you do? Laughs

saying that the state pension is worth even less today then 5 yrs ago.. and the pound is worth buggar all also. I might get more if I melted them down!!

Mal :thumbup:

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

'A rare collectable vinyl record'

Rare...because there isn't that many of this particular 45 available.

Collectable....because the sound therein is like nothing you've ever heard before, a beautiful song with a fantastic vocal. The beat almost physically drags you to the dance floor. A faultless piece of timeless music, the likes of will never be available again...'they just don't make them like that anymore'.

There will always be a DEMAND for this....ALWAYS.

Social source share

'A rare collectable vinyl record'

Rare...because there isn't that many of this particular 45 available.

Collectable....because the sound therein is like nothing you've ever heard before, a beautiful song with a fantastic vocal. The beat almost physically drags you to the dance floor. A faultless piece of timeless music, the likes of will never be available again...'they just don't make them like that anymore'.

There will always be a DEMAND for this....ALWAYS.

And your reasoning behind this is??

Like I said initially, when most collectors (who are now probably the wrong side of 50) are dead, where is the demand going to come from. Where will new collectors come from at the same rate as the ones dying??

Social source share

You're right, I'm wrong, I submit. I'm selling everything half price now, so as not to lose everything when they are worthless in a few years time. :rolleyes:

After all, no one outside of England is ever really going to get it.

If you can't afford to lose what you've put into your collection then yes I'd say you'd better start selling soon although I'd hold off on the 50% sale, to start with at least. I think most people don't look at their collections as some kinda profit and loss a/c.

Im not disputing that 45s can be an asset to be cashed in when something comes along of more pressing importance but to be regarded as a pension seems somewhat risky. I'd say relative values dropped say from '85-'95. My view is based on selling full-time during most of that period. That they've taken off since is again not in dispute but are prices and demand as bouyant now as two years ago? I get the impression that perhaps not but there are plenty of dealers on here who would have a view.

There are plenty of sales on SS at the moment. I can't say whether these are all spare copies but again I feel that some people have to sell to buy which suggests that 45 prices are in a lot of instances out of reach of earnings.

I don't want to be intrusive but it would be interesting to know how say Gene R and Quinvy are getting on with selling their collections. Are they making a profit, recouping their outlay or is it a buyer's market where choice items may sell [and maybe to a very narrow customer base] but the more standard fare is not reaching book price or the "going rate" and failing to sell.

ROD

Social source share

Like I said initially, when most collectors (who are now probably the wrong side of 50) are dead, where is the demand going to come from. Where will new collectors come from at the same rate as the ones dying??

Yes, I see your point.

My point is this: Something of quality will always be a collectors item, surely? No matter what it is. Be it an antique armchair or a piece of recorded music. There's always gonna be someone who wants it in it's original form. Granted maybe not as many as now, but a rare record of good quality is always gonna sell....right? :rolleyes: or maybe not.... :ohmy:

Social source share

Most people/collectors over 50 are dead,thats a new one on me :rolleyes: we not a third world country you know,yet !!

Social source share

Guest familytree

I dont think anyone who collects records sees it as a pension but at some point we need to shift them surely, especially when the children have no interest in them and see it as a white elephant!.. if we dont decide whats happening to them before we are too old then thats neglectful in itself... we treasure them so do not want to imagine them just being swept up in the house clearance when we die! ... as someone said, its the same as any collection i guess ... I for one would prefer to enjoy the friuts of our labour in old age than let some stranger get his mitts on them when we die and do whatever with them... going to a good home would be the best option surely and make it easier to part with them? and if this leaves us with some dosh to enjoy then thats a great bonus...I have to say 99.9% of ours havnt seen the light of day there are that many, whats that about really... just knowing they are there?? weird, we need help! just for curiousity, how many of you guys are Cancerians???

Aint old age sh**t!

Social source share

Guest familytree

Answer for me is simple. No because I love the music, and I love vinyl, and always will. To me they're records and tunes I cherish. Steve

We all do steve obviously... so what do you want to happen to your treasured possessions when you are gone?

Social source share

I dont think anyone who collects records sees it as a pension but at some point we need to shift them surely, especially when the children have no interest in them and see it as a white elephant!.. if we dont decide whats happening to them before we are too old then thats neglectful in itself... we treasure them so do not want to imagine them just being swept up in the house clearance when we die! ... as someone said, its the same as any collection i guess ... I for one would prefer to enjoy the friuts of our labour in old age than let some stranger get his mitts on them when we die and do whatever with them... going to a good home would be the best option surely and make it easier to part with them? and if this leaves us with some dosh to enjoy then thats a great bonus...I have to say 99.9% of ours havnt seen the light of day there are that many, whats that about really... just knowing they are there?? weird, we need help! just for curiousity, how many of you guys are Cancerians???

Aint old age sh**t!

I'm a cancerian! :rolleyes:

There's a hellalot of truth in what you say, especially the bit about...'99.9% not seeing the light of day just knowing they are there!'....That's certainly true of my huge collection (which takes in Ska, Reggae & 60s garage/beat) we do need help. :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest familytree

I'm a cancerian! :ohmy:

There's a hellalot of truth in what you say, especially the bit about...'99.9% not seeing the light of day just knowing they are there!'....That's certainly true of my huge collection (which takes in Ska, Reggae & 60s garage/beat) we do need help. :lol:

A comfort blanket perhaps?... beats sucking your thumb! :rolleyes: Far too late for help! ha

There is that joy when you go for a route and find things you didnt know you had.. (trying to justify it a little now!) Like you, are collection is a mixed bag and we go through stages... Draggin funk singles out at the moment as well as cleaning them... (no mean fete! ) so it keeps things fresh, like changing your books at the library? on a sad note, our garage leaked water in for ages but we had nowhere to store them all... its criminal whats happened to the sleeves.... I think I saw him cry..

With a lifelong passion for vynl surely we need to decide what will happen to them.. do we sort it before we die or just say 'sod it'? selling them is not just about the money, its about knowing they are in safe hands. I know lots of collectors who are Cancerians, how strange x

Social source share

We all do steve obviously... so what do you want to happen to your treasured possessions when you are gone?

I suspect there will come a time when I am carted off to a controlled access place for old fogies, and at that point they'll probably have to go. But by then I won't be interested in getting money for them. Would probably donate them to charity or something.

Social source share

I suspect there will come a time when I am carted off to a controlled access place for old fogies, and at that point they'll probably have to go. But by then I won't be interested in getting money for them. Would probably donate them to charity or something.

That's the spirit lad. Save 'em for the archive @ the Northern Soul museum where they'll be treated with love and will give pleasure to countless future generations. That way you can float to heaven knowing that your collection was kept intact and the music will be kept alive for future generations. We'll even put a nice little plaque celebrating the good work Stevie G did for Northern Soul in his lifetime.

By the way did I mention that I'm training to be a curator?

Ian D :thumbup:

Social source share

That's the spirit lad. Save 'em for the archive @ the Northern Soul museum where they'll be treated with love and will give pleasure to countless future generations. That way you can float to heaven knowing that your collection was kept intact and the music will be kept alive for future generations. We'll even put a nice little plaque celebrating the good work Stevie G did for Northern Soul in his lifetime.

By the way did I mention that I'm training to be a curator?

Ian D :ohmy:

Well I could certainly give the Stax museum a complete run of their singles, which I don't think they have :thumbup:

Social source share

Well I could certainly give the Stax museum a complete run of their singles, which I don't think they have :lol:

Certainly worth preserving then Steve. I seriously think it would be worth setting up some form of trust to preserve the best collections and keep them intact. Northern Soul is history and someone needs to preserve it in the same way that other history is maintained and cherished.

If somebody in Memphis or Detroit could have thought ahead, then they might have been able to preserve their own history to a better degree!

Ian D :D

Social source share

Guest familytree

Certainly worth preserving then Steve. I seriously think it would be worth setting up some form of trust to preserve the best collections and keep them intact. Northern Soul is history and someone needs to preserve it in the same way that other history is maintained and cherished.

If somebody in Memphis or Detroit could have thought ahead, then they might have been able to preserve their own history to a better degree!

Ian D :D

True enough... Hey we could even set up a library! then people could come and take a few tunes out for a fortnight and enjoy them... bring them back late and theres a fine to pay... I could see that working :lol: .....

Social source share

Ian D :lol:

independent of the subject of this thread (which I've expressed my opinion on previously -- again, you just need to look to what happened to doowop), in the digital age what is the value in preserving a collection intact? You can digitize every record and scan each one and make them publicly available. If you did that with your collection, what would the value be in the fact that all the physical records are together? It's only of value to another collector / vinyl fetishist, what would having a trust to keep them preserved in a dusty room somewhere accomplish? It doesn't have social value anymore at that point.

Social source share

independent of the subject of this thread (which I've expressed my opinion on previously -- again, you just need to look to what happened to doowop), in the digital age what is the value in preserving a collection intact? You can digitize every record and scan each one and make them publicly available. If you did that with your collection, what would the value be in the fact that all the physical records are together? It's only of value to another collector / vinyl fetishist, what would having a trust to keep them preserved in a dusty room somewhere accomplish? It doesn't have social value anymore at that point.

First thing tomorrow, I'm going to contact the curators at each of the big London Museums and tell them that they ought to take photos of all those musty Mummies, Mammoths Teeth and Viking relics and stick the lot in a skip since they are only of value to another collector.

I'll be expecting the men in the pale green ambulance with giant butterfly nets around tea-time

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!