Gwen Mcrae Lead Me On

Guest Dan

Guest Dan

great sound but can anyone tell me how you tell the bootleg?

cheers

dan

(mine is a JZSP stamped red columbia which i assume is proper?)

Social source share

• Replies 35
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

great sound but can anyone tell me how you tell the bootleg?

cheers

dan

(mine is a JZSP stamped red columbia which i assume is proper?)

link

Is there one,dont think so! if you like this one try "keeps on raining" by Gwen,just about the same record but recorded in 1973,and about £10 its a bargain. :shades:

Social source share

thanks ken, i do like it so will check out the one you recommend (and have attached a sounfile of lead me on for people who haven't heard it...blame mark vaultofsouler for introducing me to polderbits)

thanks rachel, mine is an issue so sounds like its ok

dan

Social source share

Guest rachel

thanks ken, i do like it so will check out the one you recommend (and have attached a sounfile of lead me on for people who haven't heard it...blame mark vaultofsouler for introducing me to polderbits)

dan

link

Tis a fantastic tune... fairly sure there isn't a boot of the issue, though hopefully someone can confirm... just had a check on Manship, he has scan of the boot...

59004.jpg

and original demo (like mine)

59003.jpg

"Original copy, stamped zsp matrix in deadwax, big blue a on the a-side label."

Social source share

Tis a fantastic tune... fairly sure there isn't a boot of the issue, though hopefully someone can confirm... just had a check on Manship, he has scan of the boot...

59004.jpg

and original demo (like mine)

59003.jpg

"Original copy, stamped zsp matrix in deadwax, big blue a on the a-side label."

link

Lost a copy on Red Columbia..Gave away the demo when i was pissed and kept the boot for me :D:shades: ..Always always on my play list..Tuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuune indeed..Can i have another real one please.... :P

Social source share

Must say what a fantastic run of singles Gwen McCrae had on Columbia: "Lead Me On", "I'm Losing The Feeling", "Been So Long", "Ain't Nothing You Can Do" and "Always On My Mind" are all great examples of Miami Soul at its finest.

Social source share

There tend to be lots of copies of this 45 on American record websites, just search under the Columbia label number; it was a Billboard top 100 pop hit: they're always much cheaper than at UK dealer prices.

link

thanks gareth :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

Not 100% sure but think boot has demo label but missing the 'A' on the label that original demo has...?

link

Stamped original without blue "A" :thumbsup:

post-1832-1115737788_thumb.jpg

Social source share

As much as i like Gwen McCraes version, i still think Bobby Blands original(?) is an awesome 45'.

Edited by Brett
Social source share

Stamped original without blue "A"    :thumbsup:

link

And here's another:

Stamped, no blue 'A', vinyl not styrene, with artists name in vertical rather than horzizontal print. Same track both sides.

It also has "reservice " written on top right of label. Maybe it was promoted a second time and they did another lot of radio station copies?

post-1918-1115748778_thumb.jpg

Godz

Social source share

Guest rachel

As much as i like Gwen McCraes version, i still think Bobby Blands original(?) is an awesome 45'.

link

Hadn't heard this before :D .. just had a listen on soulclub.. lovely :thumbsup:

Social source share

Hadn't heard this before  :thumbsup: .. just had a listen on soulclub.. lovely  :D

link

Rachael, i was once in a real beat up bar on the outskirts of New Orleans, and the old fashioned juke box, had Bobby Blands version on, well i'm not lying when i played it something like 22 times in a row :D ....awesome Deep Soul.

Brett

Social source share

Guest rachel

Rachael, i was once in a real beat up bar on the outskirts of New Orleans, and the old fashioned juke box, had Bobby Blands version on, well i'm not lying when i played it something like 22 times in a row :D ....awesome Deep Soul.

Brett

link

Wow :thumbsup:

Social source share

Must say what a fantastic run of singles Gwen McCrae had on Columbia: "Lead Me On", "I'm Losing The Feeling", "Been So Long", "Ain't Nothing You Can Do" and "Always On My Mind" are all great examples of Miami Soul at its finest.

link

Couldn't agree more, at least 8 of her 10 Columbia sides are top stuff! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Just out of interest 2 scans of Bobby Blands version of Lead Me On, this one on original issue Duke.

link

thanks brett

never heard that before but like rachel just checked it out on soulclub

and by the way what a great looking early duke label

Social source share

dan

link

Not found it yet it is good you know,and did anybody find a boot of lead me on?

Social source share

Did anyone catch her on Searling's show on Jazz fm last year,A whole hour of her getting interviewed and playing her tunes. Top Banana  :thumbsup:   :wicked:

Cheers

Pete

link

did anyone catch any of her live apperances when she was over here?

Social source share

Is the boot a recent thing? There has been no northern demand for this record until fairly recently has there? Since it is pretty common it seems pointless to boot. There are many variations which I think are all originals, just different pressing runs and from different plants and so on.

Social source share

Guest Jamie

Is the boot a recent thing? There has been no northern demand for this record until fairly recently has there? Since it is pretty common it seems pointless to boot. There are many variations which I think are all originals, just different pressing runs and from different plants and so on.

link

I was thinking the same Christian. I was puzzled as to why it would have been booted i.e. large label, common etc.

But because I'm stupid and normally get everything wrong, I decided not to raise that point. :wicked:

All still very interesting though, and love the tune.

While we are on the subject, although slightly off-topic, did Ann Peebles cover 'I'm Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down' using the same backing track? or was is slightly similar? May have been an unissued jobby through Kent?

Jamie

Social source share

link

to be fair, the only evidence there is a boot is that manship says there is!

as to whether he's right or not, no idea

must say it's not an obvious target for the bootists

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

Has any one got an original  of Gwen Mcrae's " Melody of Life "  LP to sell me at a fair price ? Please PM as soon as possible !

The title track is definite future 70s monster on the scene !

:wicked:   :shades:

link

Tried playing this years ago, tempo never seemed quite right to dance to. Came out on a 12" see scan, so maybe a 7" as well ??

post-1832-1116263857_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!