Grapevine Records

Guest rigs28

I was reading through this thread and it got me wondering about some of the other compilation albums I've got. I've never been a serious collector (as some of the titles below might show) but I was just curious as to the collectability of them even if its just for novelty purposes:

Out on the Floor Tonight (Inferno 001) featuring Dobie Gray, Frank Beverley, The Cairstairs, Four Perfections etc.

Keeping the Faith Vol.2 (PRC5573) featuring Joy Lovejoy, Mitch Ryder, Casualeers and sleeve notes by Tilly Rutherford (one time associate of Pete Waterman?)

Chess/Janus Mobile Discotheque Vol.1(6310 128) featuring Denise Lasalle, Fontella Bass, Soulful Strings, Tony Clarke etc.

The Best of Northern Tracks (Spark SRLM 502) featuring Tommy Hunt, Gene Latter, Wigans Ovation??)

Stax Northern Disco Sounds(PYE label with STXB3002 number) featuring sleeve note by DJ Frank(Ian Dewhirst) and tunes by William Bell,Johnny Taylor, Major Lance etc.

I also have some of the first releases of albums under the Kent label from the 6T's/100Club crew(For Dancers Only, For Dancers Also, Moving On Up).

If anybody can shed any light that would be great. Thanks.

None really worth anything but Stax Northern Disco sounds is notable for only having 2 northern tracks on it isn't it Ian :thumbsup:

p.s. I thought I was the only soulie left in Wombourne

Social source share

• Replies 59
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi Harry, i have the later Grapevine 2000 series 45' of Percy Stone's "Chained" that was demo only, but(i believe) was withdrawn (for whatever reasons?).

Always wanted the Betty Boo 45', the one that was an unreleased thing (once again i think it was unreleased till grapevine cut it)

Brett

Say it isn't so?.Brilliant Northern,crap repro tho.Just about playable cranked up.The volume that is :unsure: .

Taken off the master tape i believe.The instru on the flip is blinkin awesome repro by comparison.

My dream....if someone could find a male vocal with a better production. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Say it isn't so?.Brilliant Northern,crap repro tho.Just about playable cranked up.The volume that is :unsure: .

Taken off the master tape i believe.The instru on the flip is blinkin awesome repro by comparison.

My dream....if someone could find a male vocal with a better production. :thumbsup:

Theres nothing wrong with the reproduction of Betty Boo on Grapevine Kev, nothing at all. Just played it.

Social source share

None really worth anything but Stax Northern Disco sounds is notable for only having 2 northern tracks on it isn't it Ian :thumbsup:

p.s. I thought I was the only soulie left in Wombourne

Originally from Kingswinford but moved to Wombourne when I married 25 years ago. You might be interested in the Stax album, I bought it from a Pete Smith in Wombourne when I was a young lad aged about 16, its got a name and village address on the back in the top left corner.It was only this thread that reminded me of it. Could it be there are two of you? :unsure:

Social source share

Originally from Kingswinford but moved to Wombourne when I married 25 years ago. You might be interested in the Stax album, I bought it from a Pete Smith in Wombourne when I was a young lad aged about 16, its got a name and village address on the back in the top left corner.It was only this thread that reminded me of it. Could it be there are two of you? :thumbsup:

If it says 17 Rennison Drive then it would have been mine.

What are the chances of that???

Social source share

My fav was always the one with all the un-released Popcorn Wylie/Hester stuff, 'Down in the dumps/Hanky panky/Spaceland' etc

the only one of the albums i have and agreed 3 great trax...so were they never released on a grapevine seven even ??...

and funny enuff i believe it was you dave that spun the eula cooper recently at berkley/chetenham....thanx for that ! :thumbsup:

Social source share

the only one of the albums i have and agreed 3 great trax...so were they never released on a grapevine seven even ??...

and funny enuff i believe it was you dave that spun the eula cooper recently at berkley/chetenham....thanx for that ! :thumbsup:

Yes love the Eula Cooper, just got myself a stone mint one, as my last copy was a bit beat. Most of the Wylie Hester stuff never saw a 45 release apart from 'Say it isn't so'

Dave

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!