The Ultimate Anoraks Question? Brown Sleeves Vs. White Sleeves

Benji

I got a question that I consider to be one of the ultimate Anorak questions :thumbsup:

I understand that in the 1960s independent US labels used those brown paper sleeves if they didn't print their own company sleeves. Later on the white paper sleeves were used. Now the question is, when did they changed to white paper sleeves? Early 70s? Mid 70s?

And speaking of sleeves, what sleeves did the UK labels use if they didn't have any company sleeves? Brown as well?

TIA

Benji

Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

<>

Both white and brown sleeves were widely used in the US in the 60s. Generally, pressing plants just bought plain sleeves from a particular supplier, and that's what they used. But the brown sleeves fell out of fashion over time, and by the mid-70s, plain sleeves in the States were overwhelmingly white. As a result, dealers today who want to make it look like their Mint record is in its original plain sleeve tend to put them in the brown ones, because it just seems like that would be the original 60s gear. But tons of them were white, even then.

Social source share

thanks for the replies. they confirm what I thought about which sleeves were when used...

SITC01's reply also confirms what I'd always suspected - that Paul is a true Anorak :thumbup:

(Sorry Paul, couldn't resist, but you know I'll always defer to your far superior knowledge of anything remotely connected with vinyl :D:D )

Social source share

In the 60s and 70s UK labels without their own company sleeves used wavy top white sleeves, which later in the 70s changed to white straight topped.

Paul,

Don't forget the brown ones that Coral, Vogue Coral, Vogue, Vogue Pop used. These brown sleeves differ to the U.S. type in that they have a faint shiny coating to the INSIDE of the sleeve.

Ady.

Social source share

This is a good one, especially in Australia...

I've been trying to figure out what releases went with which sleeve for ages, and I have it from two of the top Aussie collectors (Frank D, George) that they came out in which ever sleeve was available..

For example, Festival released loads of labels such as Atlantic, the label had two different designs, pure Green (Silver Lettering) releases, and Green and white striped releases, they all seem to have the same sleeve, with Atlantic is Soul toward the bottom..in Green and white.. maybe it was just cheaper..

Also I've been after Aussie Sue Sleeves for ages, only 6-7 tracks were ever released on Aussie Sue, but I have never seen a sleeve to go with, everybody I spoke to said they are simply white..so they just took advantage of white sleeves that were available, although they would have been distributed by Festival..

You can tell the orig white sleeves over there by the top of the sleeve, usually it will have jagged edge..you also get allot of Plastic printed sleeves, which look great when Mint, but crap if ripped or messed about.. which is normally the case..

They also had generic sleeves with a host of the labels represented / printed on the sleeve, Festival mainly did this...

Anorak enough for ya!! Laughs

Mal.C.

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

Absolutely Ady, but they were 50s and very early 60s weren't they?

I think Coral used them well into the 60's ? I always thought that was a nice touch where they put that shine on the inside of the sleeve, never seen that on a U.S. sleeve.

Some years ago I decided to put my records (except the British) into the old U.S. green sleeves. That looks nice when you get a lot of them together. They then fit into white card outers for extra protection.

The worst way you can store your records is to put them into those polythene lined sleeves we all used to use years ago. For some starnge reason the polythene reacts against the vinyl after many years of being in contact. The BBC Library used poly lined sleeves, hence why a lot of their records that came onto the market a few years ago have a dull marble effect to the vinyl.

Ady.

Social source share

I think Coral used them well into the 60's ? I always thought that was a nice touch where they put that shine on the inside of the sleeve, never seen that on a U.S. sleeve.

Ady.

The brown paper sleeves were used for all Decca-distributed labels between 1954 - c1964 which didn't have their own company design sleeves. This includes Vogue, Coral, Vogue-Coral, Vogue-Pop, Vocalion, Durium, Felsted, etc. I'm quite sure the white paper sleeves with the 'wavy top' came into use around 1965.

I'm not sure if the independent labels of the time also used these sleeves, or whether they used white paper ones. I'm sure I've seen unplayed Melodisc 45s in brown sleeves as well.

Gene

(Record anorak, and proud of it rolleyes.gif )

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

The worst way you can store your records is to put them into those polythene lined sleeves we all used to use years ago. For some starnge reason the polythene reacts against the vinyl after many years of being in contact. The BBC Library used poly lined sleeves, hence why a lot of their records that came onto the market a few years ago have a dull marble effect to the vinyl.Ady.

These days you can buy clear sleeves made out of Archival Polyester (Mylar).

Polyester is an inert material that it is claimed will not discolor, damage, or adhere to items placed inside it. It is also supposed to be relatively sturdy which gives extra support to fragile contents.

Cheers thumbsup.gif

Richard

Social source share

The worst way you can store your records is to put them into those polythene lined sleeves we all used to use years ago. For some starnge reason the polythene reacts against the vinyl after many years of being in contact. The BBC Library used poly lined sleeves, hence why a lot of their records that came onto the market a few years ago have a dull marble effect to the vinyl.

Ady.

Mainly caused by storage in fairly high temperatures I believe, Ady.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!