Kenny Gamble The Jokes On You

Guest Polyvelts

This is a bit off topic, but it's always mystified me why this tune is rated, I've always thought it one of

the worst sounds I ever heard on northern scene. Kenny Gamble is one of my all time heroes and I know it's all a matter of taste but......

Social source share

I had an issue with a Radio stations stamp, not implying it was promotional, but inferring ownership, "WJKO" or something. I wish I had owned a digital camera when I sold up!

To the best of my knowledge there weren't any demos known back then.

As for one of the "worst ever sounds" - I'm a little mystified by that....

Regards to all,

RB

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

Philadelphia's finest hour to my ears mate..... :unsure: love it.

I'm gonna give it another spin (pressing !!!) later today before heading off to Monumental to get me in the mood, the joke is obviously on me ! but then

I was the only person on soul source who rated Bunny Siglers version of 'love train' !! I think I just have terrible taste! :huh:

Social source share

post-9749-1233341953_thumb.jpg heres the real one, :unsure:
That's just the demo mate, this what you want..... :huh:

post-1903-1233350191_thumb.jpg

Neither are Easy in 2009.

A Stock Copy must be Virtually Impossible.

Thanks for Posting.

Here is the Company Re-Issue to add to those already posted..

Arctic_123_Re-Issue.gif

Styrene & Late 70's due to Demand If I remember Correctly.

Not sure when the White Label Boot was made though.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Mmm.. that 'INFAMOUS' Jamie/Guyden set-up !! AND that particular 45 of Kenny Gamble's (very highly rated tune, personally) 'The JOKE'S On You' - Mmm..

Am I the only one on SS with distinctive & ever-engraved memories of the (mixture, of..) 'rumours', 'suppositions', & 'facts' relayed over the years (decades, now) concerning, firstly, the said J/G stable (that has produced countless gems to sate our passions, here, in the uk since the 60's) including 'tales' concerning 'face to face' dealings with the 'Principal' of the operation ?? Secondly.. the validity (as a genuine 60's original) of ANY copies of the Mr Gamble 45 - EXCEPT !! for a SINGLE - solitary.. 'TEST PRESSING' (the label owner confirming the originality of the said 'test' as the 'only' authentic 60's recording of 'TJOY' in vinyl format - during a 'face to face' with a certain UK based individual).

Details (that I, personally, have derived) concerning this fact - & some others (after first hearing a 'rumour' in the late 70's) has come from long-standing & highly respected individuals (some, even, classed as 'Authorities'.. & 'Household Names'.. amongst the soul fraternity) and over a period of decades. too. With the main 'facts' confirmed by one particular (Staff's based & 'Top', 'TOP') individual, an infinite 'mine of knowledge', with 'years' spent in tracking down Artist(s)/Producers etc. With clever foresight - creating audio cassette tapes (transcripts) of most of his successful meetings & interviews with the numerous great soul music purveyors he encountered as a 'record' for prosperity to be shared (ideally) amongst the far spread 'disciples of soul', around all the lands. Ultimately, 'placing' another identified 'piece' of the gigantic 'puzzle' which surrounds our beloved tunes - with ideal potential for 'individual' publications of 'The Stories', discovered from these iconic figures.. People SO important a part of our wondrous 'Rare Soul Music' scene.

The Test Pressing came via John Anderson of Soul Bowl. It wasn't 'fortunes' to purchase - but not too far short of a weeks wages at the time (£20 possibly ?? - though I'm certain that my long-term friend, and constant travelling companion at that time.. Kyp 'The Faith' Highbury, could confirm the 'exact' figure !! he having a fantastic memory for those types of facts).

Yep.. that was my copy - until selling up in the early 80's. Can't remember where it went exactly - but wouldn't be suprised if it was another 45 that 'Mr Destiny Records' ripped me off for !! (Along with the likes of Lester Tipton; Sam Williams; plus my '1 of 3' - at the time - Magnetics 'Lady In Green'.. to name but a few !!) I still have my list of items (with respective individual 'achieved' sale prices ), from that time, that sold through (or to) Destiny Records (List) so could probably confirm if it did actually 'move' to Nottingham. Certainly not heard ANYTHING, whatsoever, since that time as to it's potential whereabouts - or movements.

Food for thought.. innit !?! - 'Where Are they Now'.. ??

Back to the 'remainder' copies of the 45 - again, the individual from Staffs, relayed the tale of his meetings, with the 'Owner', during one visit Stateside - and the discovery's he made through resulting conversation & questions/answers. Not JUST about any one particular release from the stable, either !! Uh uh. Nope.. the ENTIRE CATALOGUE !! I don't mean that to say that the 'entire output' is not original 60's. That is not even an issue with most of the releases. I refer more about the 'availability' of copies of individual 45's from the long, long, list of 'desireables' included within their extensive catalogue.

Am I the only one to remember (any of) these 'stories', 'rumours' etc. ?? Surely not. Have I 'rung any bells' for anyone out there ?? Unlocked a memory file that's been 'stashed' away, perhaps ?? No ??

Now - 'I'M' not saying (either way) that the K Gamble 45's 'Are' - or 'Are Not' - 'pucker', 'kosher', 'authentic' or 'real' etc. But, what I would like to do - is remind people of another (relevant) 'Scenario'..

About records that (still !!) sell, as 'originals' (to 'respected' & 'knowledgeable' collectors & DJ's, too), when in actual fact they are boots/counterfeits. Some - produced that long ago (and not all in the UK) that they have long been forgotten. (Or, as is quite easily the case these days, some people are not aware of in the first place - we aren't ALL from the same 'era'. There are a LOT of much younger 'regular' attendees on the current scene) Now, THAT is a fact - SO.. !?!

FOOD FOR THOUGHT ?? Anyone ?? :)

Fingers.. :wicked:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Mmm.. that 'INFAMOUS' Jamie/Guyden set-up !! AND that particular 45 of Kenny Gamble's (very highly rated tune, personally) 'The JOKE'S On You' - Mmm..

Am I the only one on SS with distinctive & ever-engraved memories of the (mixture, of..) 'rumours', 'suppositions', & 'facts' relayed over the years (decades, now) concerning, firstly, the said J/G stable (that has produced countless gems to sate our passions, here, in the uk since the 60's) including 'tales' concerning 'face to face' dealings with the 'Principal' of the operation ?? Secondly.. the validity (as a genuine 60's original) of ANY copies of the Mr Gamble 45 - EXCEPT !! for a SINGLE - solitary.. 'TEST PRESSING' (the label owner confirming the originality of the said 'test' as the 'only' authentic 60's recording of 'TJOY' in vinyl format - during a 'face to face' with a certain UK based individual).

Details (that I, personally, have derived) concerning this fact - & some others (after first hearing a 'rumour' in the late 70's) has come from long-standing & highly respected individuals (some, even, classed as 'Authorities'.. & 'Household Names'.. amongst the soul fraternity) and over a period of decades. too. With the main 'facts' confirmed by one particular (Staff's based & 'Top', 'TOP') individual, an infinite 'mine of knowledge', with 'years' spent in tracking down Artist(s)/Producers etc. With clever foresight - creating audio cassette tapes (transcripts) of most of his successful meetings & interviews with the numerous great soul music purveyors he encountered as a 'record' for prosperity to be shared (ideally) amongst the far spread 'disciples of soul', around all the lands. Ultimately, 'placing' another identified 'piece' of the gigantic 'puzzle' which surrounds our beloved tunes - with ideal potential for 'individual' publications of 'The Stories', discovered from these iconic figures.. People SO important a part of our wondrous 'Rare Soul Music' scene.

The Test Pressing came via John Anderson of Soul Bowl. It wasn't 'fortunes' to purchase - but not too far short of a weeks wages at the time (£20 possibly ?? - though I'm certain that my long-term friend, and constant travelling companion at that time.. Kyp 'The Faith' Highbury, could confirm the 'exact' figure !! he having a fantastic memory for those types of facts).

Yep.. that was my copy - until selling up in the early 80's. Can't remember where it went exactly - but wouldn't be suprised if it was another 45 that 'Mr Destiny Records' ripped me off for !! (Along with the likes of Lester Tipton; Sam Williams; plus my '1 of 3' - at the time - Magnetics 'Lady In Green'.. to name but a few !!) I still have my list of items (with respective individual 'achieved' sale prices ), from that time, that sold through (or to) Destiny Records (List) so could probably confirm if it did actually 'move' to Nottingham. Certainly not heard ANYTHING, whatsoever, since that time as to it's potential whereabouts - or movements.

Back to the 'remainder' copies of the 45 - again, the individual from Staffs, relayed the tale of his meetings, with the 'Owner', during one visit Stateside - and the discovery's he made through resulting conversation & questions/answers. Not JUST about any one particular release from the stable, either !! Uh uh. Nope.. the ENTIRE CATALOGUE !! I don't mean that to say that the 'entire output' is not original 60's. That is not even an issue with most of the releases. I refer more about the 'availability' of copies of individual 45's from the long, long, list of 'desireables' included within their extensive catalogue.

Am I the only one to remember (any of) these 'stories', 'rumours' etc. ?? Surely not. Have I 'rung any bells' for anyone out there ?? Unlocked a memory file that's been 'stashed' away, perhaps ?? No ??

Now - 'I'M' not saying (either way) that the K Gamble 45's 'Are' - or 'Are Not' - 'pucker', 'kosher', 'authentic' or 'real' etc. But, what I would like to do - is remind people of another (relevant) 'Scenario'..

About records that (still !!) sell, as 'originals' (to 'respected' & 'knowledgeable' collectors & DJ's, too), when in actual fact they are boots/counterfeits. Some - produced that long ago (and not all in the UK) that they have long been forgotten. (Or, as is quite easily the case these days, some people are not aware of in the first place - we aren't ALL from the same 'era'. There are a LOT of much younger 'regular' attendees on the current scene) Now, THAT is a fact - SO.. !?!

Fingers.. :wicked:

Flippin' 'eck fingers. Can you print that all in one font and one colour? I can't even start to read it without my brain leaking :)

Social source share

just taken me an hour and ten minutes to find mine.. :) i new i had one in there... but it, too is a boot.. :lol: still nice to hear again after all these years...,remember having a kip :) on the front of the stage at wigan at the back of one of the speakers, when this came on with the " CLUNKING!!!" intro ... ..sure mr dj man, whacked it up on purpose wacko.gifwacko.gif ... :wicked:

Social source share

Fingers.. :lol:

You're not thinking of "Chains of love" are you?

I've had TJOY twice now. Once a week or so after Richard spun it at Wigan and two guys came into the record bar at around 3am with a couple of boxes of 45s they'd found in the USA. It was £2.

And the copy I have now which came out of a promo load in Asheville,N.C.

Neither instance suggests those copies were available due to some dodgy rip-off involving Northern demand. They're legit IMO

ROD

Social source share

Guest SoulRenaissance

I had an issue with a Radio stations stamp, not implying it was promotional, but inferring ownership, "WJKO" or something. I wish I had owned a digital camera when I sold up!

To the best of my knowledge there weren't any demos known back then.

As for one of the "worst ever sounds" - I'm a little mystified by that....

Regards to all,

RB

Think that was the issue on the cover of Soul Source mag 78/79? I'd have to check.

One of the worst sounds ever? Don't think so, top tune. Always a bit suspect when people say that.

Social source share

Guest SoulRenaissance

Mine is for sale by the way. :thumbsup:

Got one, had to be one of the first on the wants list after i got back into it. The label photocopy of the issue on front cover of #8 of Soul Source had W100 on it. Joe Dunlop had a white test pressing at Prestatyn last year. £600 or £700.

Social source share

Guest SoulRenaissance

It was £50 John, least thats what you told me at the time. Right with you on this one. Pretty certain the first copies to emerge were WHITE TEST PRESSINGS! There were certainly those nasty styrene pressings in about 79/80. Regarding 60's original labelled demos and issues... don't know, they certainly weren't around right at the start though.

:thumbsup:

A lot of those label owners/ artists don't even know what was issued half the time. Even their own stuff. Just 'cause there wern't many around in the late 70's don't mean owt. Look at the Darrell Banks's on Grey Revilot's, and the Carl Carlton's on GW issues, never saw them in the 70's did you?

Social source share

FOOD FOR THOUGHT ?? Anyone ?? g.gif

Fingers.. :lol:

You're not thinking of "Chains of love" are you?

ROD

Anyone know how rare "Chains Of Love" / "Keep On Smiling" is, can't really be just a test press can it ??

Cheers

Mick Holdsworth

https://northern-soul-records.com

https://motownsound.co.uk

Social source share

This is a bit off topic, but it's always mystified me why this tune is rated, I've always thought it one of

the worst sounds I ever heard on northern scene. Kenny Gamble is one of my all time heroes and I know it's all a matter of taste but......

woah, woah, woah, woah,... woah,........ woah, ............. woah,........................ woah,................................ woah....worst sounds ever?! :yes::D

wacko.gif

Edited by mik parry
Social source share

Guest SoulRenaissance

woah, woah, woah, woah,... woah,........ woah, ............. woah,........................ woah,................................ woah....worst sounds ever?! mellow.gif:lol:

wacko.gif

Not sure on the "Chains of love", but pretty rare. Only on test press. An excellent version by the Drifters.

Social source share

• 5 years later...

Question guys;-) this one that I currently own comes from a 60s stock and is definitly original - Ive checked matrix numbers etc but seems to be styrene? Any clues?

Cheers

D

Social source share

Think so and its from a 60s stock for sure but been told the original was vinyl.. That why Ive asked... ;-)

Edited by Damien
Social source share

Dean this was my copy on Evilbay... Definitly not a boot as does not look photocopied at all + comes from a 60s Us stock amongst plenty of other original 45s... Just wondered about the vinyl / styrene thing...

Social source share

That doesn't look like a styrene record.

If you post a photo of the record outside of its sleeve, showing the edges of the label, someone on here can tell you for definite if it's vinyl or styrene.

Just bend it a little....if it breaks it`s probably styrene  :thumbsup:

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Thanks for your help guys , Now I've learned somethin' .. ;-) Thought it might have been styrene as it was really not heavy .. Same as this Majestics on Linda that I got from the same collection .. Cheers

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!