Valuations Wanted Please

Guest in town Mikey

Guest Stuart T

What on earth are you talking about?! There has been several copies of Don Varner for sale over recent years! Many from various UK (and US) dealers and there has also been some on ebay in the last three years or so. It is more than a year ago admittedly but Andy Dyson had one at £500 I seem to recall and I have seen several copies sold in that region. It is not a mega rarity.

link

Talking about my point of view. Several copies for sale over the last few years, so rarely turns up, which is different to saying its a mega rarety, the numbers that you are talking about don't make it a commonly available record unlike a lot more (recently) expensive records. Last one offered to me for sale was £650 and it sold (not to me). Anyhow, if it goes for £500 it'll probably be going to me, and I like the b side too. wink.gif

Brown Bombers price seems to be all over the shop, I paid more than the e.bay copy but was more surpsied by the $400ish that Rocky Gil made, that was being touted as a £700 record not long ago. Someone got an absolute bargain.

Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 79
  • Views 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Stuart T

If he knows EXACTLY, why not list them all set sale and get it over with? wink.gif

link

He doesn't know EXACTLY, none of us do, do we? I think the idea is to get an idea of what perceived values are, as they have moved so much recently (in all directions). I don't reckon they'll all be sold, only those where a tempting enough offer comes in, he doesn't need the money particularly so he won't get rid of records unless it makes good sense.

Social source share

He doesn't know EXACTLY, none of us do, do we?  I think the idea is to get an idea of what perceived values are, as they have moved so much recently (in all directions).  I don't reckon they'll all be sold, only those where a tempting enough offer comes in, he doesn't need the money particularly so he won't get rid of records unless it makes good sense.

link

So in other words he's saying ooh look at all my fantastic records which none of you lot can afford wink.gif

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

So in other words he's saying ooh look at all my fantastic records which none of you lot can afford  whistling.gif

link

wink.gif Nah, they will be sold if the right price comes up, otherwise he is quite happy keeping them. There are at least that many again that he hasn't put in the list for sale. Now that would be showing off!

From what I understand, the enquiries are flooding in. Personally I think Billy's estimates are generally on the money. Larry Wright is in four figures already btw. If anyone finds one cheaper let me know won't you? I reckon I could shift five copies tomorrow.

Mike, have you discussed your commission for posting this? I think we are both at least owed a slap up dinner and a p#ss up. No funny vegetarian restaurants though, eh?

Social source share

i agree that prices for many 45's have reached OBSCENE amounts of cash, but if you are desperately searching for a disc and have waited years to get it, and it turns up, it is VERY tempting to pay over the odds if necessary........the thought of missing your long awaited chance could plague you for a long time, and cause untold psychological damage!................."What if it NEVER turns up again"? "What if the next time it turns up i'm 92 and too old and frail to do my backflips and spins to it"!? "Will i leave this mortal coil having missed that 1 and only chance to have an original copy of my all time favourite soul song"?

Probably sounds like obssessive behaviour, but this collecting lark is sooooooooo addictive, and the desire to have that most wanted original 45 VERY, VERY strong!!!!!!!!!!

Carl whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I'm on a course today, so quickly popping in.

I have PM'd a few of the bidders, with the sellers email.

If you contact him directly, it will speed things up.

A few bits have been attracting a lot of interest from dealers and collectors.

Good luck everyone.

Social source share

whistling.gif Nah, they will be sold if the right price comes up, otherwise he is quite happy keeping them.  There are at least that many again that he hasn't put in the list for sale.  Now that would be showing off!

From what I understand, the enquiries are flooding in.  Personally I think Billy's estimates are generally on the money.  Larry Wright is in four figures already btw.  If anyone finds one cheaper let me know won't you?  I reckon I could shift five copies tomorrow.

Mike, have you discussed your commission for posting this?  I think we are both at least owed a slap up dinner and a p#ss up.  No funny vegetarian restaurants though, eh?

link

Larry Wright isn't worth 500 let alone 1000

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

link

he said i could have whatever didnt sell for nowt whistling.gifwink.gif

Larry Wright is in 4 figures now. And the highest bid is from a dealer.

Not you then Pete?

Social source share

he said i could have whatever didnt sell for nowt  whistling.gif   wink.gif

Not you then Pete?

link

Posted earlier on Larry Wright Mikey and agree with Pete totally. Four figures ?

Madness IMO. Good luck to the seller though.

Steve

Social source share

he said i could have whatever didnt sell for nowt  whistling.gif   wink.gif

Not you then Pete?

link

I don't bid on soul records Mikey, I like people to tell me what they want for them and if it's a fair price I pay it - same as I do when I sell records to people - I've put offers on maybe 5 out of 5000 of my own records in the last 7 years, and those were usually because I didn't know what they were worth, if anything.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

link

I prefer the b side.

Someone (a dealer) has put in a bid for the lot anyway, so these may not now come to market directly from the seller unless he gets better offers. Shame.

Social source share

I prefer the b side. 

Someone (a dealer) has put in a bid for the lot anyway, so these may not now come to market directly from the seller unless he gets better offers.  Shame.

link

All the larry Wrights floating about were brought back from the states by i think Guy and Chris King from Popcorn 10 off? they were sold@ £60 each i was lucky enough to by one

thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

All the larry Wrights floating about were brought back from the states by i think Guy and Chris King from Popcorn 10 off? they were sold@ £60 each i was lucky enough to by one

thumbsup.gif

link

My copy is cracked. whistling.gif

Social source share

Why would anyone want to pay four figures for Larry Wright? Is it in-demand? :unsure: "Sweet Sweet Kisses" is a pretty weak side IMO, too fast to attract any real interest today I would have thought (?) and it sounds like a rip off of one of Marvin Gaye's earlier Tamla numbers. "It's Ok With Me" is a very nice atmospheric Detroit side, but a bit slow to ever really 'do' anything don't you think? Why didn't theese people buy one of the copies sold on ebay and elsehwere in the last few years and that all sold for a few hundred? Strange...

Social source share

Ruby is about £400 on GT, ££250 on Take 6 now that people have wised up to the fact that the quality is shocking

link

The Gold Token on ewas released twice, both sides on one different to the other release, one side shorter and one side longer. Will dig notes out or find the info...think the matrix numbers are different.

Social source share

The Gold Token on ewas released twice, both sides on one different to the other release, one side shorter and one side longer.  Will dig notes out or find the info...think the matrix numbers are different.

link

here you go....

ET-100-A X-4700

ET-100-B X-4701

Gt.4 01-A X-4353

GT.4 01-B X-4354

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Why would anyone want to pay four figures for Larry Wright? Is it in-demand? :unsure:   "Sweet Sweet Kisses" is a pretty weak side IMO, too fast to attract any real interest today I would have thought (?) and it sounds like a rip off of one of Marvin Gaye's earlier Tamla numbers. "It's Ok With Me" is a very nice atmospheric Detroit side, but a bit slow to ever really 'do' anything don't you think? Why didn't theese people buy one of the copies sold on ebay and elsehwere in the last few years and that all sold for a few hundred? Strange...

link

Yes, its always been in demand. Massive detroit collectors record.

I've looked into this and asked around, those copies on e.bay were shagged (I had that impression but couldn't remember for sure). Mine was one of them bought about 5 years ago, although it plays. Can't recall seeing a decent one on there but not paid much attention to it. So a few hundred quid for a knackered record isn't good value.

This record is rarer than you seem to think, and there have been about 20 enquiries after it. This list hasn't been circulated that widely, so 20 enquiries on this in one day, clearly theres a lot less copies than people who want it, and this copy is mint.

Who on this list has a copy for instance? Very few I bet. Anyway I believe it has sold for a price I'd say was quite fair.

Having said that, I'm not a massive fan of the top side either.

Edited by Stuart T
Social source share

I thought 'collectors' were pretty much an extinct race nowadays and that everyone was just chasing the same overpriced tunes of the moment. Probably a rare record but if there is no big 'dance demand' the price will sometimes not be so high. There has been a few clean copies sold on ebay BTW, perhaps not in the most recent times but my memory and perspective on things stretches further than just a few months at a time... Good to know what one might be able to sell it for if one should find one for less than what has been suggested here anyway.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest remus

You should be able to get 4 copies of The Masqueraders "How" for £1000...three anyway.  I swear a lot of people reading this site have no idea how many copies of these records are around.  Last one I bought was £125, less than 3 years ago.

link

here. here, bought mine from frankie the fridge for £250 + a £75 trade, its a £300 45 and no more! :unsure:

Social source share

here. here, bought mine from frankie the fridge for £250 + a £75 trade, its a £300 45 and no more! :unsure:

link

Sell it to me for £300 then please?

Social source share

hmmm.

there's actually a few people over here been doing it for 40 years or more. maybe a bit different round your way?

link

I think you know I know that Dan. I also think you know that is not how I meant it. :lol:

Social source share

you see, i was just teasing and you didn't bite

so what happens? i delete my post and then you reply

i know you know and you know i know you know and i know you know i know and ypu know i know etc etc

actually you are right though...too much attention given to too few records. but as you've said elsewhere it takes the spotlight away from other things

onwards and upwards, eh

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

I thought 'collectors' were pretty much an extinct race nowadays and that everyone was just chasing the same overpriced tunes of the moment. Probably a rare record but if there is no big 'dance demand' the price will sometimes not be so high. There has been a few clean copies sold on ebay BTW, perhaps not in the most recent times but my memory and perspective on things stretches further than just a few months at a time... Good to know what one might be able to sell it for if one should find one for less than what has been suggested here anyway.

link

I think I'm still a collector Christian. :lol: To me that means buying records for my own personal pleasure, not because they are popular or fashionable, as you say that often means they are grossly overpriced, I can bide my time and get them later. So is the seller of these records, he is keeping all the less in demand stuff and still buying records. I think he is keeping his better stuff to be frank. :lol:

There are plenty of collectors out there who never even go to anything on the northern soul scene nowadays. I suspect only a few dealers and their mates know who they are. biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Just had this from the seller:

Thanks to everyone for there interest and bids.

If you have not been contacted then i will do so soon.

The response has been mental and only advertised the records 2 days ago.

I could of sold multiple copies (if only i had them).

I will have a similar list at the end of the summer with even some bigger

records.

Those who got tapes and are interested in other items just contact me (you

have contact details).

I will also next week the items which are still open to offers.

thanks

Sold items so far

george blackwell - can't lose my head- smoke

chubby checker -you just don't know - parkway usa

masqueraders - how - la beat

greater experience - don't forget to remember - colony

earl jackson - Soul self satisfaction - Abc w/d

sandra stephens - if you really love me - Daran

reatha rease - only lies - dot

Vivian carroll - oh yeah yeah yeah - merben w/d

Hyperions - why you wanna treat etc - chattahoochee

Nat hall - why - Loop

Bernard Smith - theres gotta be a reason - groove

Brand new faces - brand new faces - Luguna

jimmy armstrong - won't beleive it til i see it - jet set

verma lewis - you do - gold token

Anita Anderson - little bit longer/secretly - contact

Jesse davis - gonna hang on in the girl - era

pat lewis - no one to love - solid hit

larry wright - sweet sweet kisses/Its ok with me - a-go go

mikki farrow - could it be - karate

vickie baines - country girl - parkway red issue

gentlemen four - you cant keep a good man down - wand

barbara long - we called it love - jet set

Social source share

Just had this from the seller:

Thanks to everyone for there interest and bids.

If you have not been contacted then i will do so soon.

The response has been mental and only advertised the records 2 days ago.

I could of sold multiple copies (if only i had them).

I will have a similar list at the end of the summer with even some bigger

records.

Those who got tapes and are interested in other items just contact me (you

have contact details).

I will also next week the items which are still open to offers.

thanks

Sold items so far

george blackwell - can't lose my head- smoke

chubby checker -you just don't know -  parkway usa

masqueraders - how - la beat

greater experience - don't forget to remember - colony

earl jackson - Soul self satisfaction - Abc w/d

sandra stephens - if you really love me - Daran

reatha rease - only lies - dot

Vivian carroll - oh yeah yeah yeah - merben w/d

Hyperions - why you wanna treat etc - chattahoochee

Nat hall - why - Loop

Bernard Smith - theres gotta be a reason - groove

Brand new faces - brand new faces - Luguna

jimmy armstrong - won't beleive it til i see it - jet set

verma lewis - you do - gold token

Anita Anderson - little bit longer/secretly - contact

Jesse davis - gonna hang on in the girl - era

pat lewis - no one to love - solid hit

larry wright - sweet sweet kisses/Its ok with me - a-go go

mikki farrow - could it be - karate

vickie baines - country girl - parkway red issue

gentlemen four - you cant keep a good man down - wand

barbara long - we called it love - jet set

link

Hi Mikey,

Could you please put me in touch with the mistery seller I'd like to bid on the PURPLE MUNDI 45.

Best Regards,

Phil.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!