Beth Bynum - I'll Set You Free

Guest mr_jp

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Would have thought somewhere between £15 & £40 a fair price. $141 ott.

Geoff

15-40£?? :huh:

Copies sold for 100£, and that copy of Craig Moerer was just vg/vg+ if I remember well (even if you're right, he gest more than the others on ebay)..

Bloody good r&b and pretty hard to get, so the value seems right to me (and it can only go up IMO, imagine it on a cd like Banny Price or many others..).

Social source share

15-40£?? :)

Copies sold for 100£, and that copy of Craig Moerer was just vg/vg+ if I remember well (even if you're right, he gest more than the others on ebay)..

Bloody good r&b and pretty hard to get, so the value seems right to me (and it can only go up IMO, imagine it on a cd like Banny Price or many others..).

I missed one on ebay in 2005 that went for $56, I eventually got a mint one in Jan 2007 for $86 plus postage. (edit: about £45 then)

If I could get any for £15 quid I'd buy them all! :wicked:

Edited by paultp
Social source share

Guest SoulRenaissance

I missed one on ebay in 2005 that went for $56, I eventually got a mint one in Jan 2007 for $86 plus postage. (edit: about £45 then)

If I could get any for £15 quid I'd buy them all! :rolleyes:

Anyone got one for sale? Not as well known as it should be.

Social source share

Could easily climb up to even higher value as everybody seems to need this 45 these days...

Well, this fits perfectly that midtempo r&b/popcorn sound that has been so popular in the last years doesn't it? And it's rarer than many of the "big" r'n'b records..

Social source share

Guest SoulRenaissance

Well, this fits perfectly that midtempo r&b/popcorn sound that has been so popular in the last years doesn't it? And it's rarer than many of the "big" r'n'b records..

Had it on a tape from '91, with loads of tunes played at 100 club. So maybe played back then at the venue.

Social source share

Had it on a tape from '91, with loads of tunes played at 100 club. So maybe played back then at the venue.

Thanks for the info guys id happily pay £80+ if any one has a copy?? think its worth every penny.

Social source share

I sold one for £50 I think. i wanted it for a while then went off it when i got it. there's a mistake at the end that got on my nerves

Cant say id noticed, is it the singer or backing? be intrested to try and pick it out!

Social source share

I sold one for £50 I think. i wanted it for a while then went off it when i got it. there's a mistake at the end that got on my nerves

I think the backing group on this is the Chicago group the Vows (aka the Majors / Major IV). It sounds like them and they did a bunch of work with Dave Hamilton (they sing on Dee Edwards 45 on Tuba for example and on Geraldine Hunt's record). What's bizarre is that Bynum is not a common name and one of the Vows is named Berl Bynum. I asked him about the record and he said he would have to hear it, but then I asked him if he knew a Beth Bynum and he said that he had not heard of her. Bizarre.

Social source share

This was a fairly easy to come by record 15-20 years back for no more than £12, I'm sure Craig Moerer had a quantity back then and maybe Ady Pierce, it certainly isn't the hardest thing on Starmaker, although BB is a good transitional record, didn't personally think it was good enough to play back then or now.

Social source share

Guest SoulRenaissance

I think the backing group on this is the Chicago group the Vows (aka the Majors / Major IV). It sounds like them and they did a bunch of work with Dave Hamilton (they sing on Dee Edwards 45 on Tuba for example and on Geraldine Hunt's record). What's bizarre is that Bynum is not a common name and one of the Vows is named Berl Bynum. I asked him about the record and he said he would have to hear it, but then I asked him if he knew a Beth Bynum and he said that he had not heard of her. Bizarre.

It was a Mike Hanks thing, part of the D-Town set up, or just prior too. A number of his recordings were done in Chicago. Freddy Butler "Save your love", Silky Hargreaves "Hurt by love", and the Geraldine Hunt on Bombay. Not sure what else though. Some of this info came via Cody Black who was the A & R man at D-Town in the early days.

Social source share

It was a Mike Hanks thing, part of the D-Town set up, or just prior too. A number of his recordings were done in Chicago. Freddy Butler "Save your love", Silky Hargreaves "Hurt by love", and the Geraldine Hunt on Bombay. Not sure what else though. Some of this info came via Cody Black who was the A & R man at D-Town in the early days.

I meant mike hanks, I get him and dave hamilton confused, the vows worked with Mike Hanks on backing on a lot of his Chicago sessions. thanks for clarifying this.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!