• Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Just thought some on this thread might like to see the disc being played:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/seanosullivan/90971872/

and a nod to Eddie, having started the whole thread:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/seanosullivan/90971858/

You all might be intersted in an article i have just been sent by a friend in England that appeared in the Times and written by Stuart Cosgrove. The man sure knows his stuff and the whole article seems full of really interesting info.. Just go to

www.timesonline.co.uk and there it is with a nice picture of Berry Gordy and Diana Ross

Stay soulful, Tony T BONE. OZ. K.T.F.

Social source share

You all might be intersted in an article i have just been sent by a friend in England that appeared in the Times and written by Stuart Cosgrove. The man sure knows his stuff and the whole article seems full of really interesting info.. Just go to

www.timesonline.co.uk and there it is

There's another article about it as well, written by Stuart MacDonald.

Here are links that goes straight to both articles:

STUART COSGROVE:

https://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/c...icle5732973.ece

STUART MACDONALD:

https://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/s...icle5733428.ece

Social source share

www.timesonline.co.uk and there it is with a nice picture of Berry Gordy and Diana Ross

Stay soulful, Tony T BONE. OZ. K.T.F.

Stuart is a member of Soul Source. :D

BTW Frank Wilson has read this thread "Quite extraordinary for sure" was his reaction.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

OK, an update.

The Frank Wilson original copy is now in the hands of John Manship.

Plus there's a LOT of media interest from all sorts of unlikely places.

But where do we think this record is going?

At this early stage (some 4 weeks before the auction actually commences), the talk on the street is that it will almost certainly be heading out of the UK. So does that mean that one of the two known copies will leave the UK perhaps forever? And where will it go?

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

OK, an update.

At this early stage (some 4 weeks before the auction actually commences), the talk on the street is that it will almost certainly be heading out of the UK. So does that mean that one of the two known copies will leave the UK perhaps forever? And where will it go?

Ian D biggrin.gif

Well if I were the owner of the other copy and had a fair amount of disposable income I'd certainly be giving that some thought.

ROD

Social source share

Guest Bogue

OK, an update.

Ian D :)

:yes:unsure.gif Best hope it's not to this bloke !!!

https://cgi.ebay.com/MONGO-SANTAMARIA-45-RP...1QQcmdZViewItem

Sorry if this has been done....couldn't be arsed to check through 13 pages swoon.gif

Edited by Bogue
Social source share

Kenny is one of the Dj's at the Granite City Soul Club allnighter AT THE ABERDEEN BEACH BALLROOM 4th April 2009, auction fiishes 8th April, will it be Kennys last play of FW??

Tony, going by what I saw at the Spiders Web Anniversary, I reckon that was Kenny's last play of FW.

Although he may play his orig acetate with the spoken intro at Aberdeen.

Nice plug though,

D

Social source share

Guest brian walker

Well to this day, no-one has found another copy apart from the two.

Talk is cheap, and Frank did say that Berry Gordy intentionally melted them all down.

my mate showed me a 10inch library acetate from motown complete with relevant studio paperwork which also has an alternate take ,do you know anything about this?

Social source share

Guest familytree

Have I missed something?

Wasn't the auction meant to start on the 14/03/09?

It's the 18/03/09 today and I can't find it anywhere. Unless it's been grabbed on a Buy-It-Now :huh:

Where's the auction? Is it private? I want to get my big bid on :D

i thought it was 18th april?? etter not miss it, ive paid my 50p to gain access! :P

Social source share

OK, an update.

Ian D :D

One thing to consider - if the tune is going to leave theses shores - where does that leave the Frank Wilson OVO fans? :huh:

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Have I missed something?

Wasn't the auction meant to start on the 14/03/09?

It's the 18/03/09 today and I can't find it anywhere. Unless it's been grabbed on a Buy-It-Now laugh.gif

Where's the auction? Is it private? I want to get my big bid on unsure.gif

From the cover of JM's "50 Years of Motown" catalogue:

THE WORLD'S MOST WANTED MOTOWN 45

DO I LOVE YOU (INDEED I DO)

FRANK WILSON

TO BE AUCTIONED @ WWW.RARESOULMAN.CO.UK

LISTING FROM 02/04/2009

LIVE CONCLUSION 29/04/2009 18.00 GMT

Edited by MBarrett
Social source share

From the cover of JM's "50 Years of Motown" catalogue:

THE WORLD'S MOST WANTED MOTOWN 45

DO I LOVE YOU (INDEED I DO)

FRANK WILSON

TO BE AUCTIONED @ WWW.RARESOULMAN.CO.UK

LISTING FROM 02/04/2009

LIVE CONCLUSION 29/04/2009 18.00 GMT

Ah ah, I have missed something then. Better when it comes from the horses mouth :lol:

Thanks for that.

Social source share

One week to go folks!

And the record is being graded as Excellent +.

Apparently Kenny took very good care of it but J.M.'s playing cautious hence not Mint -.

The auction and story is featured in the new edition of Record Collector and will also be featured this Sunday on BBC 6 Music in 'The Music Week' on Sunday between 1.00-2.00pm which covers the biggest events in Music in the forthcoming week:- https://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/shows/music_week/

Has everyone got their bids ready now?

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

One week to go folks!

And the record is being graded as Excellent +.

Apparently Kenny took very good care of it but J.M.'s playing cautious hence not Mint -.

The auction and story is featured in the new edition of Record Collector and will also be featured this Sunday on BBC 6 Music in 'The Music Week' on Sunday between 1.00-2.00pm which covers the biggest events in Music in the forthcoming week:- https://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/shows/music_week/

Has everyone got their bids ready now?

Ian D :lol:

how much commission do you get?

Social source share

• 1 month later...

I seem to remember a dealer in the early ninetees boasting he had bought an entire radio station stock and a Frank Wilson was included, he said it would be up for auction in the near future but I never heard anything further just assumed he never got it. Could he really have sold it privately subject to complete secrecy?

As someone who has just come back from the moon can anyone tell me just what did 'do I love you' actually sell for ??

regards,

wallace

Social source share

Guest newone

As someone who has just come back from the moon can anyone tell me just what did 'do I love you' actually sell for ??

regards,

wallace

around the 27k mark def not over that maybe just under,

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Krissii

i bet you somewhere in the states there will be someone with a poker face holding another 2 or 3 copies...

can someone tell me the story behind the black motown "uk stock" version of this tune.... is it a boot or did berry eventually press it or what?

kb

Social source share

Guest Krissii

i know the policy is OVO and all but surely its time to think about just playing the cdr and have the 7'' on the platter spinning now... either that or DEMAND that the TT is set up properly with the right counterweights n stufff...

i love the OVO thing about northern soul, but playing a 7'' where there are only 2 playable copies, and the OWNER OF MOTOWN owns the other one.... its painful to me to know that the UK had a MINT copy and it got signed and played to VG+ - i think thats a real shame to be honest :lol:

still, theres always this for tim browns copy

">
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!