Frank Wilson On Soul Auction

• Replies 628
  • Views 58.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I see a copy of Frank Wilson is being auctioned soon by John Manship , is this Kenny's copy ? Wonder what it will reach ? Best,Eddie

Could well be any one of the third, fourth, fifth, sixth or more copies that may have been in existence, unbeknown - until now - to the northern scene ...

Social source share

Could well be any one of the third, fourth, fifth, sixth or more copies that may have been in existence, unbeknown - until now - to the northern scene ...

Wanted please, an original US issue on the Soul label of Frank Wilson's "Do I Love You (Indeed I Do) "

I have made the decision to pursue a copy of this record and have put loan finance arrangements in place in anticipation of a copy being offered to me.

Payment will be made within one week of the agreement to purchase, by international transfer.

I am willing to nominate a price of $25,000.00 (US Dollars) for a mint copy but I am open to negotiate that price depending on condition and all other relevant factors.

Obviously appropriate delivery and insurance arrangements will have to be discussed, but I am prepared to factor in the cost of an international courier to effect personal door to door delivery anywhere in the world.

All commmunications must remain strictly confidential and it may be that I ask the seller to execute a strict confidentiality agreement regarding the sale.

Serious sellers and dealers please, no time wasters. Thank you for your attention.

Sunnysoul,this was your post back in February 2007, wasn't it?

Still interested?

Social source share

I see a copy of Frank Wilson is being auctioned soon by John Manship , is this Kenny's copy ? Wonder what it will reach ? Best,Eddie

I was there when Frank signed it. I told Kenny to have him sign the sleeve but he wouldn't listen. I actually filmed him signing it.

Now it's marked forever. It looked perfect prior to being signed in big felt pen.

I would have thought the signature devalued it, especially as Tim's other copy is warped, and Kenny's isn't.

If Frank had just signed the sleeve instead of the record, it would be worth twice as much.

Back in 2000, when it got signed, I said this to Kenny, but he said he was keeping it for his entire life, and would never part with it, and even joked about being buried with it.

How things change.....

Social source share

On the back of the new Manifesto Pete .There's an ad for a new Motown catalogue by John Manship , with Frank Wilson being auctioned from 14/3/09 until 8/ 4 / 2009 .It looks like Kenny's , it's clearly autographed to Kenny , as mentioned by Ian Levine on here .Best,Eddie

It's my spare copy !! :yes:

Social source share

I was there when Frank signed it. I told Kenny to have him sign the sleeve but he wouldn't listen. I actually filmed him signing it.

Now it's marked forever. It looked perfect prior to being signed in big felt pen.

I would have thought the signature devalued it, especially as Tim's other copy is warped, and Kenny's isn't.

If Frank had just signed the sleeve instead of the record, it would be worth twice as much.

Back in 2000, when it got signed, I said this to Kenny, but he said he was keeping it for his entire life, and would never part with it, and even joked about being buried with it.

How things change.....

Devalued it by 50% I'd say, fancy writing on the label.

Social source share

Well to this day, no-one has found another copy apart from the two.

Talk is cheap, and Frank did say that Berry Gordy intentionally melted them all down.

Social source share

No, that's Tim Brown's copy, not this one.

:yes:

its gonna be the most watched auction JM has ever had i reckon and all this for an overplayed to death tune that so many cant stomach anymore :thumbup:

I wish i had the money to buy it biggrin.gif

Social source share

Well to this day, no-one has found another copy apart from the two.

Talk is cheap, and Frank did say that Berry Gordy intentionally melted them all down.

never heard that story before :yes: was there 100 run off Ian

Social source share

never heard that story before :yes: was there 100 run off Ian

The true story is on The Strange World Of Northern Soul, as told by Frank himself.

Worth watching.

Social source share

I reckon it will reach at least £25 - £30 grand , even in these cash strapped days.What does everyone else think ? Cheers ,Eddie

I think it's had thirty one years of people looking for it, and there are still only the two original copies.

People are not paying for the music - you can get that on a CD for a tenner. They're paying for the rarity of the edition.

It is my belief, having been involved in this mad circus for forty years, that if another copy was going to surface, it would have done so by now, so yes, it will never come up for auction again until Tim Brown passes away.

I would think someone from Japan or Germany will end up paying the most for it.

Funnily enough, the only record I know to equal it in sheer rarity is Jim Gilstrap's wonderful "Run Run Run", on Bell issue, which I stupidly STUPIDLY sold to Tim Brown for eight hundred quid, and again, to this day, there are only two copies known about in the entire world.

Edited by Ian Levine
Social source share

I always mind whilst running a soul night with Kenny in Edinburgh. Anyway Kenny stayed in Fife and got caught short on his way home. and stopped at a closed down petol station.

Got back in the car and when he got home, his full box of records where gone and if I mind right Frank Wilson was in there.

Anyway he phoned another friend they met and searched and found the box in the bushes ready for collecting by the passer buy who lifted them out of the car.

Bet the guy wished he had carried them straight home!!

Social source share

I always mind whilst running a soul night with Kenny in Edinburgh. Anyway Kenny stayed in Fife and got caught short on his way home. and stopped at a closed down petol station.

Got back in the car and when he got home, his full box of records where gone and if I mind right Frank Wilson was in there.

Anyway he phoned another friend they met and searched and found the box in the bushes ready for collecting by the passer buy who lifted them out of the car.

Bet the guy wished he had carried them straight home!!

some drunken bum prob thot it was camera equipment or sumit.

didnt he have the police out looking aswell?,with the value in box kinda like a bank robbery.

nae that youd get much robbing a bank these days.

Social source share

Ok when it happens shall we have a sweep stake for exact amount-

Ill put up The prize (Nice expensive bottle of Wine) and entries to be £1 and it all goes to the winners chosen charity!

Good idea here is another angle!!

Someone should put up a big tune, once the sweep reaches the price off the record then the rest goes to charity and the winner get a nice record money held in a pay pal account.

Kinda make it interesting!!!!!

Social source share

I reckon it will reach at least £25 - £30 grand , even in these cash strapped days.What does everyone else think ? Cheers ,Eddie

the record has such legendary status and is the ultimate holy grail that people who do not normally bid on soul record in auctions and who are rich enough to not really be affected by the economy will come out. I think it will go higher than that. I also don't think that the signature affects the value on such a holy grail item with only two known copies.

Social source share

I think it's had thirty one years of people looking for it, and there are still only the two original copies.

People are not paying for the music - you can get that on a CD for a tenner. They're paying for the rarity of the edition.

It is my belief, having been involved in this mad circus for forty years, that if another copy was going to surface, it would have done so by now, so yes, it will never come up for auction again until Tim Brown passes away.

I would think someone from Japan or Germany will end up paying the most for it.

Funnily enough, the only record I know to equal it in sheer rarity is Jim Gilstrap's wonderful "Run Run Run", on Bell issue, which I stupidly STUPIDLY sold to Tim Brown for eight hundred quid, and again, to this day, there are only two copies known about in the entire world.

Wouldn´t bet on Germany, Ian.

I know most of the collectors here, most of them aren´t playing in that league. :wicked:

Plus even here it´s considered as hammered to death... :)

Social source share

Suspect it will disappear from the decks...whatever your views of the record, it was always heartening to see it spinnin' around on the occasions I saw Kenny play it - that's what it's made for!

I'm guessing motown didn't test press 6 copies of the record so that DJs from the UK could import two known copies and play them in their club.

Social source share

the record has such legendary status and is the ultimate holy grail that people who do not normally bid on soul record in auctions and who are rich enough to not really be affected by the economy will come out. I think it will go higher than that. I also don't think that the signature affects the value on such a holy grail item with only two known copies.

Does it have that holy grail status outside of the soul, and specifically Northern Soul scene though Boba? I mean are you saying Elvis and Beatles collectors will want it? Or even collectors of Damien Hurst or old masters?

Social source share

How things change.....

Thanks for the heads up Ian on this - if that tune is going to heaven with Kenny - Sleeping with Satan is becoming more appealing by the day!!

Unless St Peter says to Kenny at the Pearly Gates - "In you come Mr. Burrell - hang on a minute - that's not Frank 'Bloody' Wilson under your arm is it ?"

Social source share

Whatever somebody pays for it;

Just imagine the trip to the states, record hunting, you could have. For the price this will eventually go for....you could fly first class....stay in the best hotels...rent the best car for the trip....Buy ***thousands of records***...(the best lap dancers.) :wicked: ...All the fun of the weeks of research when you get back on the hoards of records you shipped back home. Playing all the unknown tracks(at least to you) that you have purchased.....not forgetting all the fun and excitement of the trip....

...Or you could sit at home, thinking to yourself..."I AM (the self proclaimed) KING OF SOUL COLLECTORS, FOR IT IS ,I, AND I ALONE WHOM OWNS THE GRRRRAIL OF SOUL. ALRIGHT, PERHAPS NOT....But i could think of a lot more to spend my money on than just one record!! couldn't you??

Social source share

Does it have that holy grail status outside of the soul, and specifically Northern Soul scene though Boba? I mean are you saying Elvis and Beatles collectors will want it? Or even collectors of Damien Hurst or old masters?

yes, I obviously meant that elvis and beatles collectors will want it. that is exactly what I meant. Also, country and western collectors and classical collectors. and stamp collectors, especially stamp collectors.

Social source share

How things change.....

He's not popped his clogs then? :wicked:

Social source share

yes, I obviously meant that elvis and beatles collectors will want it. that is exactly what I meant. Also, country and western collectors and classical collectors. and stamp collectors, especially stamp collectors.

Well you should make yourself a bit more clear when you say "people who don't normally bid on soul records" then.

Social source share

I agree Bob,

People with loads of dosh will come out of the closet and want to own this, £25K is nothing to a film star or to some sports stars, owners of football clubs etc and like it's been said before, there'll be a lot of interst and people watching the auction.

I too think it'll go for a lot more than £25K. We'll see?

Edited by billb
Social source share

I take it condition won't be a factor then?

With the best will in the world, Kenny must have played it a few hundred times on a variety of different decks so what condition does everone think it will be in? And will that be a factor or will the auction winner be buying it for it's historical value alone?

Ian D :wicked:

Social source share

I agree Bob,

People with loads of dosh will come out of the closet and want to own this, £25K is nothing to a film star or to some sports stars, owners of football clubs etc and like it's been said before, there'll be a lot of interst and people watching the auction.

I too think it'll go for a lot more than £25K. We'll see?

So are you saying I didn't misunderstand him? And someone will pay £25k for something that they're not interested in and don't have a grasp of its heritage?

Not being difficult here, but I just don't get the logic. Surely for that much cash you could buy some other one-off artifact that would have a lot more kudos in the big wide world of collecting?

Social source share

So are you saying I didn't misunderstand him? And someone will pay £25k for something that they're not interested in and don't have a grasp of its heritage?

Not being difficult here, but I just don't get the logic. Surely for that much cash you could buy some other one-off artifact that would have a lot more kudos in the big wide world of collecting?

Like my prize collection of singing Potato`s........I would let them go for half that!........Paypal only please.

:wicked:

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Wouldn´t bet on Germany, Ian.

I know most of the collectors here, most of them aren´t playing in that league. :wicked:

Plus even here it´s considered as hammered to death... :)

never mind leagues each and everyone of us still has a soft spot somewhere in our hearts, well maybe not hearts, this is now overplayed over the years and hammered to death as many say, but when you are at a venue when kenny is behind the decks and at 5/6am he spins it still get a buzzz

sorry had my beer rant lol need to get out APRIL 4th Aberdeen kenny Burrel Chris King KTF

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!