Rhyll Connoisseurs Weekender

Yes folks, the top DJ on the Northern scene couldn't be bothered turning up to do the booking he had at the Rhyll Connoisseurs Weekender, despite ringing on the preceeding Wednesday to confirm the booking, change his spot times because he was DJing elsewhere early on, and ask for directions.

In fact he wasn't really missed, because at the time he was supposed to be on, it was in the middle of an absolutely magnificent four hours from Roger Banks, Cliff Steele, Keith Money, and Mick H. Awesome tunes, put together in the right way. I don't think I've heard a better four hours, anywhere. Well done lads.

What really winds me up though, is the fact that he made no attempt to contact the promoters and give a reason for not showing up, but did get someone else to ring someone who was there and ask "How many were there because if there weren't many there it wasn't worth him turning up" Just for the record, the call went to voice mail and wasn't replied to.

So that's what the UK's top DJ thinks of the people who pay money to listen to him DJ.......... He might have the records, but he cetainly doesn't have any integrity. A booking is a booking, whether there are ten people there or a thousand !

And I've waited until gone midday on the Monday to post this just in case he did have a good reason for not turning up. Well if he has, he still hasn't contacted the promoters to explain why he didn't show !

So please remember, when the promoters put his name on the flyers it was because they believed him when he said he would do a spot, the promoters reputation should not be damaged on this occasion !

Of course should Butch contact the promoters and have an explanation for not turning up, I will wholeheartedly, and without reservation, withdraw the above comments, I wouldn't like to damage his reputation without reason either.

Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Like you say Dave the weekend was awesome, the music I doubt could have been matched anywhere, with some of countries top collectors / DJ's getting there chance to play to an appreciative crowd and we weren't dissappointed. I myself did a couple of hours on the Friday night in the lounge and I found that although the place wasn't rammed the atmosphere was great. It was very disappointing that Butch didn't turn up but like you say it didn't spoil the weekend not by far and I too hope that Butch contacts the promoters to explain what happened. Guest spots of the weekend for me were all of Cliff Steele's sets, Mick H Saturday night set in the lounge and all the rest were very very close to these.

Social source share

To say I enjoyed the Rare Soul weekender at Rhyl dosn't do it justice, it was absolutely brilliant. Many thanks to Steve and John, the promoters for making us feel so welcome.

The music was second to none and I'm still singing tunes in my head. Particular thanks to John Weston, who played loads of my favourites.

Met lots of new people and chilled out in the crossover lounge. The 'open dj' spot was a great idea. There was no rivalry or snobbery, just a genuine interest and love of the music.

The accommodation was good and the brekfast was too. The staff were friendly and must have thought we were nuts staying up all night.

Can't wait for the next one!

Social source share

Just got off the phone to John Mills, let him know what an awsome weekend we had. And to be honest Butch not being there, for me didn't make the slightest difference, and should'nt distract from what was an enjoyable event.

Many thanks to all the promoters involved, and the staff at the Hotel, plus not forgeting the D.J's, for doing a great job.

We arrived Friday tea time about 5pm, and within 15 minutes they let me loose on the Decks in the lounge, it was great, like being at home in my own living room. playing all my fav' tunes, to some of the soul scenes most knowledgeable.

They also let me have another spot on Saturday....Pure soul heaven.

There was so many quality soul records played it's very difficult to single any particular one's out. I do remember Saturday night that there was loads off Detroit classics played, ...right up my street. Especially remember E J & the Echoes ... I'll Never Forget. Can't remember last time I heard that played anywhere.

We'll be back next year, and if you didn't make it this year, pencil next years date on your calender now.......April 1st to April 3rd.

john.may101@ntlworld.com

Social source share

My first visit to the Connoisseurs weekender and I wasn't disappointed.Fantastic music,good venue and friendly people, to many great tunes to try to name a favourite.

I know its a big ask but if any of the DJs could post playlists it would be much appreciated,to many great sounds to try and remember in 2 nights.

Will definately be back next year.

Stamford

Social source share

My play list or as much as I can remember was:

Maxine Brown-Seems you forsaken my love-Epic

Maxine Brown-Please don't leave me-Epic

Maxine Brown ??-One step at a time-Regent Sound Studio

Lesley Miller-Bringing out my tears-RCA Victor

Ruby-Deceived-Gold Token

Norma Jenkins-Try Love-Jobete

The Andantes-That's a funny way-Jobete

Ivy Hunter-Where were you-Hitsville Sound Studio

Pat Livingston-Take me now or leave me be forever-Wilstone

The Tan Geers-Let my heart soul be free-Okeh

Blue Green-Sweet baby can't hide it-Easters

Hattie Winston-Pass me by-Parkway

Unit Plus-What is the price of happiness-Verve

The Chimes-Beginning of my life-Down to Earth

J.T.Rythym-All I want is you-Palmer

New Perspective-It will never be the end-Maxwell

The Topics-Booking up baby-Mercury

The Flamingos-I know better-End

Thelma Houston-Nothing left to give-Mowest

The Volumes-That same old feeling-Impact

Kenny Gamble-Standing in the shadows-Epic

Barbara Mercer-Doin' things together-Golden World

Barbara Mercer-Can't stop loving you baby-Golden World

Gladys Knight & The Pips-Tell me your mine-Maxx

Soul Brothers Inc-Pyramid-Golden Eye

La Reine La Mar-That's not the way to love-Cloud

Sandy Hollis-I'm tempted-Big Wheel

Karen Pree-Make love last forever-Casablanca

Hard Cover-Do you love me like you say you do-Shanty Town

Herman Harper-Headed for the streets-Loadstone

plus many many more that I can't remember.

Regards

Alan

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!