Northern Northern Soul V

What's the difference?

One to ponder on this. I don't travel up north as much as I'd like to, or as much as I used to (Age, time, family etc). But is there a difference between a typical Northern set (ie played in the North) as opposed to that played at a Southern do? Same dj's travel the length and breadth of the country to do their sets right? So it should be the same. I can't help thinking it's not though somehow.

Couple of things made me think this over a period of time. As I know some Southerner's who think that the South is cutting edge in some respects, in terms of new sounds broken etc. But hang on I thought, this must be hooey, as it's NORTHERN soul we're into right!?

I did see some (quite lengthy) clips on the NCSC website the other day, of the Manchester nighter - main room etc and It seemed I knew almost every track. Whereas perhaps, in my soft southern existence do's wise at least, it's common for twenty minutes or so, (less and more) sometimes to go by without having heard of a single number. Why is that? Does Geography play a part or what?

I know I can't use the website thing as a basis for this query, but it was just that small point coupled with those Southern rural myths over time, that lead me to think - I wonder what views others might have on the subject?

FOOT NOTE:

1. Patriot first an foremost, love every inch of England's green and pleasant land.

2. Without Northern Northern Soul, there wouldn't be any Northern Soul.

"LESS AVE YA"

Edited by Ian Sims
Social source share

• Replies 225
  • Views 14.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Cant think why you would think south cutting edge when lifeline and soultown niters are both in the north.Lifeline head and shoulders above any progressive nite in the country,and no other niter gives as much chance to up and comeing djs as soultown.Cis niters are very good but would have to be regarded as main stream oldies allniters really,steam allniter also in the north are very good on the upfront side as well.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Steel helmets on please everyone!

South used to appear to be more up front, don't know whether it was completely true, not the case now.

Edited by Stuart T
Social source share

Cant think why you would think south cutting edge

link

To be fair Andy I didn't say that. I said I know some who hold that view, which may be quite wrong in light of some of the good points you raised.

Social source share

What's the difference?

One to ponder on this.  I don't travel up north as much as I'd like to, or as much as I used to (Age, time, family etc). But is there a difference between a typical Northern set (ie played in the North) as opposed to that played at a Southern do? Same dj's travel the length and breadth of the country to do their sets right?  So it should be the same.  I can't help thinking it's not though somehow.

Couple of things made me think this over a period of time.  As I know some Southerner's who think that the South is cutting edge in some respects, in terms of new sounds broken etc.  But hang on I thought, this must be hooey, as it's NORTHERN soul we're into right!?

FOOT NOTE:

1. Patriot first an foremost, love every inch of England's green and pleasant land.

2. Without Northern Northern Soul, there wouldn't be any Northern Soul.

"LESS AVE YA"

link

We/i would be listening to "pop-corn" the non thinking mans n/soul. :lol:

Social source share

Pre Lifeline and other newer events up North I would say that Scenesville was pretty much an upfront venue, dome started out that way but lacked towards the middle/end of it's life span. Still got the 100 club don't foget down south :lol: but we dont have any other up front do's that I know off otherwise

Social source share

Pre Lifeline and other newer events up North I would say that Scenesville was pretty much an upfront venue, dome started out that way but lacked towards the middle/end of it's life span.  Still got the 100 club don't foget down south  :lol: but we dont have any other up front do's that I know off otherwise

link

What about the Snug!Janine are we not goodenough..... :lol:

Social source share

To be fair Andy I didn't say that.  I said I know some who hold that view, which may be quite wrong in light of some of the good points you raised.

link

So you were just trolling then really, were you? :lol::lol:

Social source share

Really? :lol:

Ok, go on then....think of it as casting a bait and waiting to see which fish bite. :lol:

link

Okay, I like it, I like it. Original statement still true though in that this was a discussion between southern soulies.

16.58 leave work, steam home - back on line by 17.23 :lol:

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Pre Lifeline and other newer events up North I would say that Scenesville was pretty much an upfront venue, dome started out that way but lacked towards the middle/end of it's life span.  Still got the 100 club don't foget down south  :lol:but we dont have any other up front do's that I know off otherwise

link

Thats because you don't ever come down one bloody club with some DJs who like to play some different sounds! :angry: Yes, maybe we do all smell a bit, but that is pure manliness (apart from Gene), get your arse down Solid Hit Soul on 18 June, Gene's birthday, day after mine, we were almost twins (apart from not being born in the same year or with the same mother).

We have some lovely newish sounds to play but acknowledge the need to entertain the dancers as well, so try to keep a balance of sounds on the playlist. Grrrrr! :lol:

I almost feel like putting up my last playlist, except I haven't a clue what I played.

Scenesville isn't a was is it? :lol:

Social source share

What about the Snug!Janine are we not goodenough..... :lol:

link

I personally think that the snug is the best chill out/ come down venue going, but as it's not a dance club it really doesnt come into this discussion........ deffo one of my fave places to go to at the moment though :lol:

Social source share

Okay, I like it, I like it.  Original statement still true though in that this was a discussion between southern soulies.

16.58 leave work, steam home - back on line by 17.23  :lol:

link

Catchya later.

I've got a bit of work to catch up on, so I may get behind.....be interesting to see whats been landed when I get back :lol:

Social source share

Okay, I like it, I like it.  Original statement still true though in that this was a discussion between southern soulies.16.58 leave work, steam home - back on line by 17.23  :lol:

link

Ian, isn't it 'Southern softies' :lol: ?

Only kidding all you pearly kings and queens ( :lol: )

Good topic though.

Steve

Social source share

Hate to throw this one in but what about the Midlands? :lol:

link

Where's that then? :lol:

Midlands is great, but not aware of any rare soul clubs advertised there, and if there are and as im first to say so we will claim them as part of the Souths :lol:

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

In my experience at the 100 club and Valatone, there is a lot more younger soul fans than up north. You also get less of the Wigan fancy dress down south too with a lot more guys and gals into the 60's image.

Shane

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Somebody please!explain upfront what dose it mean? as i do not know,for me there are only good ones & bad ones :lol:

link

I think "upfront" means "please don't keep coming up to the decks and asking for some more bloody oldies, not tonight, people didn't stop finding records when Wigan closed, okay?".

Come to think of it, SHS isn't upfront because we also also play oldies, just try to balance it out a bit more than one oldie after another.

Social source share

I think "upfront" means "please don't keep coming up to the decks and asking for some more bloody oldies, not tonight, people didn't stop finding records when Wigan closed, okay?". 

Come to think of it, SHS isn't upfront because we also also play oldies, just try to balance it out a bit more than one oldie after another.

link

:lol::lol:

Social source share

Sorry dont agree wiht you shane, but at the end of the day it doesnt matter what people wear, it's about the music, although hoops are out dont ya know! :lol:

Social source share

Where's that then?    :lol:

Midlands is great, but not aware of any rare soul clubs advertised there, and if there are and as im first to say so we will claim them as part of the Souths  :D

link

Like it :lol::lol:

Social source share

So shane down south you have younger people dressing up as people from 40yrs ago,opposed to older people dressing up as people from 30yrs ago up north,and that means what exactly.

link

:lol::lol::D

Still in trouble Shane. :lol:

Agreed with your earlier post Andy. To my regret I only ever got to the last Soultown at Sheridans, brilliant night. The point about the playlists there is that the oldies played are DIFFERENT. ie, some thought goes into it, not the same old same old.

Steve

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

So shane down south you have younger people dressing up as people from 40yrs ago,opposed to older people dressing up as people from 30yrs ago up north,and that means what exactly.

link

Fair point but at least that mod 60s thing is now widely acknowledged as a timeless classic look, but only if done well. Whereas the Wigan vest and bags thing, errm...isn't. :lol:

Social source share

What thread was you reading Ian on NCSC to come up with the playlists????I think it will be harder and harder to be cutting edge and still provide quality and get enough people through the dor and still keep everyone happy :lol: .."A promoters job is not a happy one"..Good topic...There are so many nights now to hear many different styles from Lincoln to North Wales and Portsmouth to Aberdeen..I don' think the north /south thing is what it was a few years back..We have inside toilets up here now :D and listening to smooth mid tempo southern soul,well some of us...The tradional northern soul nights are still up here but so are the more progressive ones too..Did the Southern sound mean London/south coast and then the rest???Birmingham/Bristol/Cambridge etc are very south were all these put in the northern stable??...Good topic indeed...Over the years it was the tradional northern towns for me and London,aint too sure what was going on elsewhere....The sound of Kent in the 80s brought a lot of us together,that was the sound we all first started listening to...up-tempo,deep soul ballads,stompers etc,it was all just soul to us,nothing to do with north or south...I did notice a big difference when i started going to the 100 club..It was deeper more mid tempo than most northern club nights, and sound that i really took to but not others as much...Kent and Stafford really paved the way for us in the 80s and it was a breath of fresh air that kept us on the soul scene...Could go on and on about this thing i love :lol::lol: But i will take a break...

Social source share

In my experience at the 100 club and Valatone, there is a lot more younger soul fans than up north. You also get less of the Wigan fancy dress down south too with a lot more guys and gals into the 60's image.

Shane

link

Are you trolling as well because most of that's bollox! :lol:

Social source share

New venue for soultown lifeline announced very soon blade,and its in the north of all places[sorry back on thread now]

link

PLEASE tell us it's not too far North Andy!!!! :lol:

link

Thats what I am hopeing Dave, Sheridans is a good location for the likes of us, Manchester is just too far for me to go as regularly as I would like :lol:

Social source share

You and your three wives will be there wherever it is Dave.  :lol:

link

Not three times a month if it's in Manchester, for example, Steve :lol:

(Strangely I think one of the three shares a birthday with the guy Stuart was talking about :lol: )

Social source share

New venue nearer to you dave,now heres one to think about on the topic of north v south,southern nites main guests usually from the north but in the north very rarely are they from the south,with maybe one or two exceptions.

link

Great news mate :lol::lol::lol:

Get an event on every week! :D

Edited by Dave
Social source share

If you are north of Watfod Gap mate, that's still north.  Southern ruling :lol:

link

When I worked in New Cross I went to some of the Millwall games. Had to laugh when they sang' Dirty Northern B*st*rds' at the Shrewsbury team. :lol:

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Very much doubt you would find the bags and vest brigade at lifeline, soultown,steam,cool off etc stuart,i think that brigade tend to stick to the larger oldies events stuart.

link

Agree thats probably absolutely true. Personally I think we should all have to wear regional dress. then we could know who not to talk to. Can you lot spin in your clogs? :lol:

Being from the home cunties :lol: I shall, of course, be resplendent in a blazer, comfortable slacks and some suede shoes.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!