Northern Northern Soul V

I can't really comment on music policy as I haven't been to a Do up North, yet. whistling.gif   Although I'm going to Derby (that's Up North to me!) on Saturday, although I believe the music there will truely be across the board, as all those who are DJing are from all over the UK.  I also think forums like this enable people to hear different tunes to what they'd normally hear out and about.  The recent CD exchange being a good example (if anyone wants to give me a free CD, I'm not too proud to ask! blush.gif ).

As for people making you feel welcome, well I've attended a few Do's on my own.  Only time people have spoken to me is when I've prearranged to meet them, like the time I met Gene at Soul In The City.  Another time was back in January before the 100 Club, meeting Jamie, Rich, Janine, Brett and the others in the Pub beforehand.  Generally though people in the South will not talk to you, I say this after attending a Do (just down the road from me, NOT Chalfont), where I stood at the back of a fairly small room and nobody approached me, I got bored and went home (doubt if I'd return to be honest).

My opinion of Northerners, which goes back to when I attended scooter runs in the 80's, is that they are generally friendlier, and are initially more welcoming than Southerners.

As for oldies events down South (not all Soul Events are held in London!), may I suggest Bisley?  I would say they play predominantly Oldies, always a good turn out and a good night (just wish they'd get rid of the Fullers bitter, yuk!)

In the future I plan to travel to some events up North.  The strange thing is, it's probably easier to book a BnB up in Sheffield, Leeds, Manchester or somewhere, than try to get home from Central London in the early hours of the morning, after a few beers!

link

Hi mate

Not sure if we have met or not..Take a trip up to Manchester and we will look after you...It aint the other side of the world....I can't believe there are people in the south who aint been to most parts of this country yet they know and travel to destinations all over the world... king.gif ...Welcome anytime and you just might like it...Its a bit cooler but the girls still dress like its Florida :lol: ..We are a happy go lucky bunch as long as the pie shop is well stocked.. blush.gif

Social source share

• Replies 225
  • Views 14.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I can't really comment on music policy as I haven't been to a Do up North, yet. whistling.gif   Although I'm going to Derby (that's Up North to me!) on Saturday, although I believe the music there will truely be across the board, as all those who are DJing are from all over the UK.  I also think forums like this enable people to hear different tunes to what they'd normally hear out and about.  The recent CD exchange being a good example (if anyone wants to give me a free CD, I'm not too proud to ask! wink.gif ).

As for people making you feel welcome, well I've attended a few Do's on my own.  Only time people have spoken to me is when I've prearranged to meet them, like the time I met Gene at Soul In The City.  Another time was back in January before the 100 Club, meeting Jamie, Rich, Janine, Brett and the others in the Pub beforehand.  Generally though people in the South will not talk to you, I say this after attending a Do (just down the road from me, NOT Chalfont), where I stood at the back of a fairly small room and nobody approached me, I got bored and went home (doubt if I'd return to be honest).

My opinion of Northerners, which goes back to when I attended scooter runs in the 80's, is that they are generally friendlier, and are initially more welcoming than Southerners.

As for oldies events down South (not all Soul Events are held in London!), may I suggest Bisley?  I would say they play predominantly Oldies, always a good turn out and a good night (just wish they'd get rid of the Fullers bitter, yuk!)

In the future I plan to travel to some events up North.  The strange thing is, it's probably easier to book a BnB up in Sheffield, Leeds, Manchester or somewhere, than try to get home from Central London in the early hours of the morning, after a few beers!

link

hi, wot a shame, I would have talked to you - I went to Chalfont - you right about getting back from Cen. London unless you drive! Gene, Janine are great, Jamie was friendly when I spoke to him at NC (not sure if Rich is the same one I know, if it is, nice guy too!) are you going to any of the dos on in London this weekend - if so, I will say hi but you will have to let me know wot you look like!

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

hi, wot a shame, I would have talked to you - I went to Chalfont - you right about getting back from Cen. London unless you drive!  Gene, Janine are great, Jamie was friendly when I spoke to him at NC (not sure if Rich is the same one I know, if it is, nice guy too!) are you going to any of the dos on in London this weekend - if so, I will say hi but you will have to let me know wot you look like!

link

Ian is a top bloke.

Careful when you talk to him tho.

I ended up drunk, and had a sore head the next day.

I agree with what he says tho.

When i first started going out in London very few people spoke to me, and some would speak one night not the next etc.

By the time I left London, nobody spoke to me thumbsup.gif

T'Northerners havent worked that out yet, so I'd say they are much friendlier whistling.gif

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Guest Stuart T

By the time I left London, nobody spoke to me  thumbsup.gif

T'Northerners havent worked that out yet, so I'd say they are much friendlier  whistling.gif

link

You having a beer pre 100 Club? I'll talk to you btw. I have no mates so am forced to.

Social source share

I would agree that Northerners are more friendly in respect of being approachable. Southerners are terrified of catching someone's eye that they weren't necessarily trying to and with that rationale, it's tough to make new pals.

Social source share

Guest Jamie

Interesting topic this.

Having being on the 'scene' (for want of a better description) for a very short period of time, I must admit to thinking that the South had more 6T's Newies/Underplayed/Progressive/Upfront playlists than up North.

I think there has very recently been a shift in that, and I would say that's mainly due to the types of venue closing/starting in those particular geographical areas. Nothing more sinister than that really.

I can only go from the venues that I've attended, or heard very good things about, but I haven't heard a venue to compete with Lifeline in terms of 'Don'tknowitness' ("Jamie, what's this record called?" "Don't know it, mate"). rolleyes.gif

The 100 is just brilliant, and love the place, but even I know a few of the tracks played there.

The original post was to determine 'was the music different regionally', not to discuss the rarity or obscurity (although both are inextricably entwined). Ian mentioned he knew all the tracks from a NCSC playlist, and rarely knows every track from a venue down South, so I used that as the basis for my reply.

I would say that of the venues I have attended in my locale i.e. Lifeline, Soultown, Wilton, Orwell and NCSC (Downstairs) the music has been pretty amazing at points, and no different, in terms of familiarity, from what gets played at some venues down South.

I have seen the playlists from SITC, CSC, TOS et al and have been very impressed.

Ian, I suggest you get in your motor car, come North and dispel the myth that the music down South is more 'intellectual' than your poor Northern cousins thumbsup.gif:lol:

But then again, what do I know, I'm Northern, thick, and only 30!!! whistling.gif

Jamie thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I would agree that Northerners are more friendly in respect of being approachable.  Southerners are terrified of catching someone's eye that they weren't necessarily trying to and with that rationale, it's tough to make new pals.

link

Ian, you've written many a good post on here, but the above is a complete load of old tosh.

I just don't see how you can generalise like that.

Whether you go out & have a good time and meet new people depends more on your state of mind on the nite. It also helps if you are in confident mode. Geography does not come into it.

Have to go out now for a couple of hours (mountain biking) will ad further later.

Col.

Social source share

I'll ave a word with yer when you get back from that mountain biking. Your'e not gonna go on at me about the generalising/confidence thing again are you Col, please. I don't know from your above post whether you think the north/south music difference is tosh, or northerner's being more warm than southerner's is tosh. Do advise. I stand full sqare behind both btw. Lets have some low grade arguing - couple of posts shy of 500, should be good.

Edited by Ian Sims
Social source share

Without even generalising about rare soul fans be they from the north or south. I have always found northern folk more friendly, simple as that. Take a tube ride for half an hour ... know what I mean?

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Without even generalising about rare soul fans be they from the north or south. I have always found northern folk more friendly, simple as that.  Take a tube ride for half an hour ... know what I mean?

link

Yeah but I bet that 30% of them can't speak English, 10% are asleep, 10% are too drunk to speak, 5% are mad and only speak to themselves, and the rest are too busy reading the paper. Anyhow, thats one of the things I like about London :unsure:

Social source share

Yeah but I bet that 30% of them can't speak English, 10% are asleep, 10% are too drunk to speak, 5% are mad and only speak to themselves, and the rest are too busy reading the paper.  Anyhow, thats one of the things I like about London  :unsure:

link

True :lol: But you take my point, never have I heard a stranger say "how are you then" or sim in a tube situ or public place darn sarf. If we are allowed to generalise and I'm not sure it's such a high crime, I think things are slightly different up north.

Social source share

Guest Trifle

Without even generalising about rare soul fans be they from the north or south. I have always found northern folk more friendly, simple as that.  Take a tube ride for half an hour ... know what I mean?

link

It would be easy for me to sit here and nod my head in agreement and write nothing, but I decided that was a bit lame.

You have my full backing on this one Ian (for what it's worth). Yes, it is generalising, but majority stands for something.

Yes, of course there are friendly people in clubs down South, but they are more clicquey IN MY EXPERIENCE and in the opinion of several others' who I have had this discussion with.

Rugby Soul Club, Pilsley Miners Welfare, Queens Hall Stoke are ones that stand out for me in terms of friendly atmosphere.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

or sim in a tube situ or public place darn sarf.

link

I believe that there is a bye-law against this sort of behaviour.

You're probably right, we're a miserable bunch. And as we haven't been formally introduced I can no longer carry on this discussion with you.

Social source share

It would be easy for me to sit here and nod my head in agreement and write nothing, but I decided that was a bit lame.

You have my full backing on this one Ian (for what it's worth).  Yes, it is generalising, but majority stands for something. 

Yes, of course there are friendly people in clubs down South, but they are more clicquey IN MY EXPERIENCE and in the opinion of several others' who I have had this discussion with. 

Rugby Soul Club, Pilsley Miners Welfare, Queens Hall Stoke are ones that stand out for me in terms of friendly atmosphere.

link

:unsure: Nothing wrong with southerner's my best friends are. However (in a lot of cases) they are slower off the mark in the getting to know you stakes.

Social source share

Guest Trifle

:lol:   Nothing wrong with southerner's my best friends are. However (in a lot of cases) they are slower off the mark in the getting to know you stakes.

link

I think that may be fear of rejection.

:unsure:

Social source share

Interesting topic this.

Having being on the 'scene' (for want of a better description) for a very short period of time, I must admit to thinking that the South had more 6T's Newies/Underplayed/Progressive/Upfront playlists than up North.

I think there has very recently been a shift in that, and I would say that's mainly due to the types of venue closing/starting in those particular geographical areas. Nothing more sinister than that really.

I can only go from the venues that I've attended, or heard very good things about, but I haven't heard a venue to compete with Lifeline in terms of 'Don'tknowitness' ("Jamie, what's this record called?" "Don't know it, mate"). :(

The 100 is just brilliant, and love the place, but even I know a few of the tracks played there.

The original post was to determine 'was the music different regionally', not to discuss the rarity or obscurity (although both are inextricably entwined). Ian mentioned he knew all the tracks from a NCSC playlist, and rarely knows every track from a venue down South, so I used that as the basis for my reply.

I would say that of the venues I have attended in my locale i.e. Lifeline, Soultown, Wilton, Orwell and NCSC (Downstairs) the music has been pretty amazing at points, and no different, in terms of familiarity, from what gets played at some venues down South.

I have seen the playlists from SITC, CSC, TOS et al and have been very impressed.

Ian, I suggest you get in your motor car, come North and dispel the myth that the music down South is more 'intellectual' than your poor Northern cousins  :lol:   :yes:

But then again, what do I know, I'm Northern, thick, and only 30!!!  :lol:

Jamie  :unsure:

link

Your a top man in my eyes Jamie :(

Social source share

Having frequented the Southern and Northern "Scenes", i must say that it's stating the bleedin' obvious that the playlist are different, there is (Used) to be a tremendous x/over scene with the likes of Ben Summers/Gareth Sweeney and of course a hard edged 60's scene within the walls of 100/Scenesville/Capitol et al.

But to say the North has any lesser of a scene is heresy, Jesus Christ the likes of Sheridans under all its nights is proof enough, and i think having a slight at the CIS is a case of not attending and just judging by a very small video clip, the CIS has had many great Djs this last 12 months , and not forgetting Stevie Catos supremely successful Ducie Bridge warm ups.....as for fashions......What the Hell has that gotta do with this music........

Brett

Edited by Brett
Social source share

I'll ave a word with yer when you get back from that mountain biking.  Your'e not gonna go on at me about the generalising/confidence thing again are you Col, please.  I don't know from your above post whether you think the north/south music difference is tosh, or northerner's being more warm than southerner's is tosh.  Do advise.  I stand full sqare behind both btw. Lets have some low grade arguing - couple of posts shy of 500, should be good.

link

Good evening Ian.

It was a most refreshing cycle ride, but I am pleased to be back to defend the south's honour.

Have noticed your comments above & will try not to sound off like a stuck record :unsure:

North/south music divide - regret I'm not qualified enough to comment.

North/south friendliness divide - I would say there is no divide.

I've done 4 week-enders in the last year, chatted to many southerners & northerners.

There is no difference. Convince me otherwise.

Col

ps Good to read your comments Trifle, although you are of course wrong too :lol:

Edited by Soulsmith
Social source share

Having frequented the Southern and Northern "Scenes", i must say that it's stating the bleedin' obvious that the playlist are different, there is (Used) to be a tremendous x/over scene with the likes of Ben Summers/Gareth Sweeney and of course a hard edged 60's scene within the walls of 100/Scenesville/Capitol et al.

But to say the North has any lesser of a scene is heresy, Jesus Christ the likes of Sheridans under all its nights is proof enough, and i think having a slight at the CIS is a case of not attending and just judging by a very small video clip,  the CIS has had many great Djs this last 12 months , and not forgetting Stevie Catos supremely successful Ducie Bridge warm ups.....as for fashions......WHAT THE F**K has that gotta do with this music........

Brett......bad f******** day at work.

link

Chill. With you on that bad day at work thing, nearly the weekend bruv :unsure: Couple of points though; Don't agree with the "stating the bleedin obvious" line as same dj's there and here etc, so kind of a grey are thus far despite discussions. Also not seen anyone say the north has any lesser of a scene. Lastly and got to whole heartedly agree with you on this one, the fashion thing had me stumped n' all.

Hope you have a better day tomorrow, don't let the bast*rds grind you down. :lol:

Social source share

Guest Trifle

Good evening Ian.

It was a most refreshing cycle ride, but I am pleased to be back to defend the south's honour.

Have noticed your comments above & will try not to sound off like a stuck record :lol:

North/south music divide - regret I'm not qualified enough to comment.

North/south friendliness divide - I would say there is no divide.

I've done 4 week-enders in the last year, chatted to many southerners & northerners.

There is no difference. Convince me otherwise.

Col

ps Good to read your comments Trifle, although you are of course wrong too wink.gif

link

I prefer the word "differences" to "divide". Sorry for being wrong Soulschmidt.... shame on me! :lol:

Oh and fashion and music may not be inextricably linked, but the two are very often related in a big way, so that was not so off-topic as it might've seemed.

Brett, take deep breaths and have a big glass of wine....(but not at the same time as you might drown!) :D

Social source share

In response to Ian and trifle, yeah, i took a machine gun attitude, and sorry for any offence(hell, thats just my personality.....yeah ) but we all have opinions, and this is this place to air them.

Social source share

(wee off topic) She knows er onions Col, be advised :lol: And that ain't no generalising. He don't mean nothing by it Sherry trifle he's a good egg honest. :lol:

(back on) If this thread is nearing it's conclusion, I for one have learnt a few things. There's been some interesting and valid points made by all. I have learnt I must head north soon. Also confirms to me that there is great northern soul being played every week all over the country and aren't we the lucky ones! For as my good friend Smudge said once of the non believers/civilians/citizens call them what you will ... "Simsy they don't know do they".

11.30 got to lay this burden down. wink.gif

Edited by Ian Sims
Social source share

Guest Jamie

In response to Ian and trifle, yeah, i took a machine gun attitude, and sorry for any offence(hell, thats just my personality.....yeah ) but we all have opinions, and this is this place to air them.

link

You were rather Cavalier in your attitude, Franklin. I suggest you shape up quick smart! :lol:

Social source share

I have learnt I must head north soon.

11.30 got to lay this burden down. :lol:

link

Bout time too!any room in your motor......... :lol:

Social source share

Guest Jamie

Your a top man in my eyes Jamie :lol:

link

OK, I shall reciprocate and proffer an olive branch, a symbol of unity and oneness under the banner of 'Northern Soul'.

We shall move forward, Brothers & Sisters, and we shall know no boundaries, and forgive those who tresspass against us, for they know not what 'Soul' music is.

Hartford 3:16

Edited by Jamie
Social source share

OK, I shall reciprocate and proffer an olive branch, a symbol of unity and oneness under the banner of 'Northern Soul'.

We shall move forward, Brothers & Sisters, and we shall know no boundaries, and forgive them who tresspass against us, for they know not what 'Soul' music is.

Hartford 3:16

link

On yer bike!!!

Social source share

Guest Jamie

On yer bike!!!

link

I thought you wanted to go in a motor car - now it's the bicycle? :lol:

Kenny lad, make tha bloody mind up!!! wink.gif

Jamie :lol:

Social source share

I thought you wanted to go in a motor car - now it's the bicycle?  wink.gif

Kenny lad, make tha bloody mind up!!!  :D

Jamie  :lol:

link

:Dwink.gif:lol:

Social source share

You were rather Cavalier in your attitude, Franklin. I suggest you shape up quick smart!  :lol:

link

i suggest you better watch your "Sammy Sevens" else you'll be eating -------- all.

Social source share

I believe that there is a bye-law against this sort of behaviour.

You're probably right, we're a miserable bunch.  And as we haven't been formally introduced I can no longer carry on this discussion with you.

link

Life story just a PM away mate :lol:

Social source share

Ian is a top bloke.

Careful when you talk to him tho.

I ended up drunk, and had a sore head the next day.

I agree with what he says tho.

When i first started going out in London very few people spoke to me, and some would speak one night not the next etc.

By the time I left London, nobody spoke to me  :lol:

T'Northerners havent worked that out yet, so I'd say they are much friendlier  biggrin.gif

link

But I spoke to you :lol:

Social source share

Not been on line for a while so this thread is new to me, so forgive me if I bring it back on topic (ish) blush.gif

I don't see a North - South distinction at all its more local than that. Even if you look at the various nights at Sheridens they are all different yet (in the main) well attended. Lifeline to me is the tops but it appears that people who want that type of music policy are willing to (have to) travel further to get it. You can go to an 'oldies venue' almost anywhere yet '6ts newies / upfront venues' don't work in many places.

Where they do work they get and following the average distance travelled to get to them is massive compared to the distances travelled to get to most 'oldies events'. Consequently people have travelled from North and South (and the Midlands) usually

Where I percieve a slight difference between North and South is in the age profile with the South being slightly younger. Age is an important factor those too young to have gone to Wigan do not appear to be wedded to the 'Wigan Oldie' because it is less about nostalgia for them. The same can be said about those who never left the scene in the 80's be they from the North or the South perhaps people like me have been in the 'newies camp' from the days of the Casino but where I live makes little difference to that other than how far I need to travel to find a venue with the right policy for me.

In short I'm glad I live in the North for all sorts of reasons but wish 100 club, Plinston, Sheridans, Wilton, Steam were closer to Blackpool

Social source share

Thanks for that Ged.  I simply must get myself along to Lifeline and see how it's upfrontness stacks up against my beloved 100 Club.

link

Stacks up!very well Ian,trust me blush.gif

Social source share

Thanks for that Ged.  I simply must get myself along to Lifeline and see how it's upfrontness stacks up against my beloved 100 Club.

link

100 club, now you're talking.

More reprobates & dysfunctionals per square foot than any bar this side of Mos Isley.

Not so much unfriendly as scary.

Fancy meeting up there in June?

Col. blush.gif

Social source share

100 club, now you're talking.

More reprobates & dysfunctionals per square foot than any bar this side of Mos Isley.

Not so much unfriendly as scary.

Fancy meeting up there in June?

Col. :thumbsup:

link

You're on rolleyes.gif

Social source share

Guest CapitolSC

For me, upfrontness In London was the Water Rats (along time ago) with a few others, the Capitol Soul Club and now Solid Hit Soul blush.gif !

IF YOU KNOW WHATS GOOD FOR YOU - SOLID HIT SOUL - 18TH JUNE!!!

Sx

Edited by CapitolSC
Social source share

For me, upfrontness In London was the Water Rats (along time ago) with a few others, the Capitol Soul Club and now Solid Hit Soul  ohmy.gif !

link

Was that the Water Rats the place with heavy wood panelling on the walls?

Bit like dancing in the Adams Family* living room?

Col.

*anyone know where the 's should go!

Edited by Soulsmith
Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Stuart T (11/5/05) "Being from the HOME CUNTIES  I shall, of course, be resplendent in a blazer, comfortable slacks and some suede shoes."

Stuart....would I be correct in assuming that your above geographical origin was a deliberate typing error? & If so,does this mean that southerners DO have a sense of humour & can actually take the p**s out of themselves? :thumbsup:   ohmy.gif

Re the Norf V Sarf thingy.... I think you get qualitee Northern in the North,South East & West, AND  at the same time you get absoloute garbage in all locations too! But when I say garbage,nowt comparable to say "The Cheeky Girls" ....so I ain't complainin! I'm a Northerner (some might say "Midlander but I'd argue my case!) who lives South of Birmingham & "gets about a bit" by the way! OOOOO-ER-MISSUS!! yes.gif

link

I would never use such a crude word deliberately. Oh go on then, its a fair cop. Of cuorse we have a sense of humour, have you seen how much they charge for beer down here? :(

At least we make better pies down south. :yes:

Social source share

I would never use such a crude word deliberately.  Oh go on then, its a fair cop.  Of cuorse we have a sense of humour, have you seen how much they charge for beer down here? :thumbsup:

At least we make better pies down south.  yes.gif

link

Jellied eel pies ohmy.gif

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

But......Peter Kaye may disagree re the pies  Stu, &  as we all know,you can't get mushy peas or gravy or "owt moist" in a chippy  darn Sarf!  (One opf my current fave venues has to be Luton TOTS though & it's full of FRIENDLY Southerners & quality sounds!! ohmy.gif )

link

Why would one order a pie in a chippy? Chippies are for fish and chips. And saveloys.

Pies come from Pie and Mash shops and should be served with finest liquor. Maybe preceded by a bit of poached eel if you're feeling particularly greedy. :thumbsup: I'm salivating just thinking about it.

For a bit of spice a pattie is an excellent alternative. You can even get reasonable pasties in London. Unlike in Middlesboro where they make them with corned beef.

Best jellied eels I ever had were from a shop in Birmingham, bizarrely.

Social source share

One of my current fave venues has to be Luton TOTS though & it's full of FRIENDLY Southerners & quality sounds!! ohmy.gif )

link

It most certainly is/has yes.gif If you can make it to Luton, you should get along to Letchworth and check out the Plinston - Fantastic nights :thumbsup:

Social source share

Yeah,have heard same Ian. Never done either, but both (venues) are high on my "to do" list..."I'm gonna make it someday" as the choon goes! yes.gif

link

Look at me now! :thumbsup: I'm the one on the right by the way ohmy.gif

No, be good to see you mate. You're not travelling from la belle France I take it?

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

It most certainly is/has yes.gif   If you can make it to Luton, you should get along to Letchworth and check out the Plinston - Fantastic nights :(

link

and hitchin ohmy.gif:yes::thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Trifle

Ian, have you a very attractive blonde girlfriend/wife who is a good dancer?

If yes, I think I saw youse at the 100 Club recently.

I was the one standing at the corner of the stage looking like a miserable old bag.

Anyway, if 'twas you, then I recognise you both from another time and place (and maybe even dimension), but memory is completely shot, so if you know, then please share. :shades:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert