Most active in this topic

Guest Dave Mortimore

NORTHERN SOUL

SATURDAY 7 FEBRUARY 2009

PARIS SUITE, BELVEDERE HOTEL

Resident DJ STEVE LYONS

Guests KEITH BARNES, ANDY MANN, SEAN O'CONNOR, MARK SWIFT

8.00 - 1.00, £5.00 OTD

. The big attraction for us this Saturday will be the Soul D.J. Baptism of Sean O'Connor. We remember him well from Cagney's and other venues in past years. He has been somewhat absent from the local scene for some time since he became a father. So it was nice to see him out and about again recently and back within the local soul community.

. It'll be good to have Keith Barnes over from Southampton. He used to be referred to as 'Mr. Motown.' But I've noticed he's turned over to playing Classic Oldies and some good stompers within his sets at Bishopstoke.

. Andy Mann & Mark Swift will be new to our ears. Will you be hinting at what their playing styles in soul music might be?

Edited by Dave Mortimore

. The big attraction for us this Saturday will be the Soul D.J. Baptism of Sean O'Connor.

ohmy.gif

No pressure on me then eh, Dave?

As it's my baptism, does that mean you'll be chucking water over me if the sounds are not to your liking? :lol:

Really looking forward to DJing this Saturday & looking forward equally to catching up with everyone, hearing lots of great sounds and having a good dance!

Best,

Sean

. The big attraction for us this Saturday will be the Soul D.J. Baptism of Sean O'Connor. We remember him well from Cagney's and other venues in past years. He has been somewhat absent from the local scene for some time since he became a father. So it was nice to see him out and about again recently and back within the local soul community.

. It'll be good to have Keith Barnes over from Southampton. He used to be referred to as 'Mr. Motown.' But I've noticed he's turned over to playing Classic Oldies and some good stompers within his sets at Bishopstoke.

. Andy Mann & Mark Swift will be new to our ears. Will you be hinting at what their playing styles in soul music might be?

Dave

Although Keith Barnes often DJs in the Southampton area at the Bishopstoke events run by Gary & Annie. Keith will be travelling up from Bognor Regis, where over the past decades he has become a very popular person on the Northern Soul scene in all areas.

Andy Mann is fondly remembered by all the Soul fraternity that ever went to the now legendary Cagney's soul nights.

Mark Swift is also a well known DJ on the South Coast scene and will be making his first appearance for the InCrowd Soul Society on Saturday night.

Along with Sean a good selection of quality soul will be played.

Guest FREEBIRD

Dave

Although Keith Barnes often DJs in the Southampton area at the Bishopstoke events run by Gary & Annie. Keith will be travelling up from Bognor Regis, where over the past decades he has become a very popular person on the Northern Soul scene in all areas.

Andy Mann is fondly remembered by all the Soul fraternity that ever went to the now legendary Cagney's soul nights.

Mark Swift is also a well known DJ on the South Coast scene and will be making his first appearance for the InCrowd Soul Society on Saturday night.

Along with Sean a good selection of quality soul will be played.

SOUNDS GOOD TO ME......See you there..

Guest Dave Mortimore

:lol:

No pressure on me then eh, Dave?

As it's my baptism, does that mean you'll be chucking water over me if the sounds are not to your liking? wink.gif

Really looking forward to DJing this Saturday & looking forward equally to catching up with everyone, hearing lots of great sounds and having a good dance!

Best,

Sean

. I wouldn't dream of chucking water on you. I might end up on the wrong end of a knuckle sandwich. However, I am sawly tempted to apply some pressure and not because of any of the sounds you might play.

. You see I do have an axe to grind, for guys like you have been, "The bane of my life." :D

. I bet you're thinking, "What on earth have I ever done to you?" :yes:

. Well, nothing really! However, indirectly you have alot to answer for. As since you've become a father, during our conversations you lead onto your son and suddenly your eyes light up. I just know in your words that you're a full-on father, having done your fair share of changing nappies and doing your nursing stints during the night. Now whenever you can, you're taking little Jimmy out and about to the places like the park, ensuring that he's fully entertained.

. "So whats wrong with that!" You might say. Well, for Neanderthals like me, "Quite alot!" :yes:

. For, many moons ago, although I avoided the nappy changing and middle of the night stints, I was dragged out to places like the park by Jan with our first born and she would point out the gleeful modern men, like you, as a benchmark for the way I should behave.

. So for years gone by, I've been obliged to spend countless hours with each and everyone of our children, pushing them to and fro on swings, with a false smile through clenched teeth every time I looked up at my misses. Just to show her that I'm doing my bit. Such is the penance I've had to endure to maintain a harmonious relationship.

. All because I've had to try to live up to the standards of guys like you! :(

. When I think of all the countless beers :( that I've missed by not being able to shoot off to the pub. Ooooh! Does it make me angry!

. So, am I tempted to get hold of a megaphone to heckle over your microphone!

. But, fortunately for you, Jan wouldn't approve and like all men, "I know my place!" :thumbup:

. However, if any of you men, who have suffered in the same way as I have, come along unaccompanied by your misses, ..........."Please feel free to heckle Sean!"

Edited by Dave Mortimore

. . You see I do have an axe to grind, for guys like you have been, "The bane of my life." :D

. .

. When I think of all the countless beers :( that I've missed by not being able to shoot off to the pub. Ooooh! Does it make me angry!

:lol::yes::yes: You old caveman!

I'll buy you a beer on Sat to make up for one of the many you've missed because of "guys like me".

Now, staying on this theme but back to the music... check out my last played refosoul clip wink.gif

Its somewhat less of a stomper than is your usual preference, but don't forget your New Year's Resolution!

I'll bring my copy on Sat and play it as a dedication if that megaphone of yours makes an appearance :thumbup:

Seriously though, I hope I can oblige one or two of your requests, and at the same time share some fabulous records with you that you may not yet know and love (but soon will... :( )

Best,

Sean

Guest Dave Mortimore

:D:ohmy::ohmy: You old caveman!

I'll buy you a beer on Sat to make up for one of the many you've missed because of "guys like me".

Now, staying on this theme but back to the music... check out my last played refosoul clip :ohmy:

Its somewhat less of a stomper than is your usual preference, but don't forget your New Year's Resolution!

I'll bring my copy on Sat and play it as a dedication if that megaphone of yours makes an appearance shades.gif

Seriously though, I hope I can oblige one or two of your requests, and at the same time share some fabulous records with you that you may not yet know and love (but soon will... :lol: )

Best,

Sean

. Well Sean, I can't say I've ever lived in a cave. Although I have been forced to spend some time in a few dog houses over the years. I've now decided that it's no good trying to adapt, I can't ever be domesticated and why change the habits of a lifetime! So I've tried to resolve this by booking Jan on an all-inclusive health farm holiday to the states. At a place called Stepford ! :P:D . But she's not having any of it.! :lol:

. I'm familiar with 'Color him father,' which is alright in my book, but not one I could dance to. Have you got 'Ain't nothin' like (a little lovin')' by The Winstons. I think I could flex my legs to that one.

. I reckon the majority of the soul music you would like to play will have some romantic undertones attached to them. Because Sean, I know that you're just that kind of guy.

. However, I remember the notable tunes you mentioned on the University Anniversary Event Lookback string. Lester Tipton - This won't change, was a good call and certainly to my tastes.

. Any chance of a peek into your record box on Saturday? There's got to be something special tucked away somewhere, that you may have not really considered for your set?

Edited by Dave Mortimore