Youngsters On The Scene

Guest James Trouble

James - behave!

link

Sorry sis', I'm still hung over from Saturday so my usual clumsy writting is more clumsy than normal. :wicked:

Social source share

• Replies 220
  • Views 21.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Sorry sis', I'm still hung over from Saturday so my usual clumsy writting is more clumsy than normal. :shades:

link

James,

Its the best post you have ever made IMHO. Concise, to the point, correct and most important, no swearing :wicked:

Steve

Social source share

We have lots of 20 year old girls dancing properly on our floor, without bottles of beer in their hands. We have some 18 and 19 year old ones, and some 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, etc. year old girls too, usually without drinks in their hands, on the floor. I/we only enforce our unwritten rules (we actually used to have written rules about not drinking on the floor posted here and there around the venue, but have not used them for a while) when necessary and in case of accidents involving liquid on the floor we have a mop at the ready and someone of us will clean it up and dry the floor within minutes. Some venues use plastic glasses but one of the main reasons to avoid drinks on the floor is to avoid broken glass on the floor which is very nasty to dance in not to mention dangerous for anyone attempting acrobatics on the floor. I was at a venue recently and when I towards the end of the night tried to get on the floor and dance a bit the floor was like winter street slush, inches deep, only it was not snow and dirt but broken glass and beer. Not so nice...

Social source share

You're right Chrissieo the more young men about the better especially Italian & Spanish :shades:

link

Loads of young spaniards at 100club kept telling me how good the spanish scene is brill!!,took 20mins tell one i wanted a replacement lemo`& black he dropped is ciggie ash in,hope i did`nt scare him too much :wicked::lol:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

We have lots of 20 year old girls dancing properly on our floor, without bottles of beer in their hands. We have some 18 and 19 year old ones, and some 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, etc. year old girls too, usually without drinks in their hands, on the floor. I/we only enforce our unwritten rules (we actually used to have written rules about not drinking on the floor posted here and there around the venue, but have not used them for a while) when necessary and in case of accidents involving liquid on the floor we have a mop at the ready and someone of us will clean it up and dry the floor within minutes. Some venues use plastic glasses but one of the main reasons to avoid drinks on the floor is to avoid broken glass on the floor which is very nasty to dance in not to mention dangerous for anyone attempting acrobatics on the floor. I was at a venue recently and when I towards the end of the night tried to get on the floor and dance a bit the floor was like winter street slush, inches deep, only it was not snow and dirt but broken glass and beer. Not so nice...

link

Christian, I think this thread is about the UK Northern scene, not the European soul scene. The Eurpean soul scene is a very young and exciting scene with a bright future. I don't think any examples from europe are related in anyway to this thread and only confuse the discussion. :wicked:

Social source share

I've actually been in quite a few 'normal' clubs (not recently mind you) where drinks/ smoking wasn't allowed on the dancefloor. Just common decency really not to make your fellow dancers sticky/ burnt...  :shades:

link

your quite right rachel and alot do stick to it. i some times frequent clubs on the soulful house side of things and it is rather the same as a 'northern' night i.e respect for people, dance floor RULES :wicked: ect.. but you got to think unless its at a large sort of venue or niter that resembles a club type place! they may not think about these things. many soul nights are held in social clubs, back rooms of pubs, the sort of place you accociate with a 70's disco night/ wedding ect and to a 'normal' person this is the norm to smoke/drink on the floor if you can see my point :lol:

Social source share

I think JTrouble is right.

Etiquette

All very well talking about 'etiquette' (and obviously i hate a wet dance floor as much as the next man) but in order to impose your rules on these young incomers, first find your young incomers. There aren't very many.

Anyway, a wet dance floor isn't the worst thing in the world - one of the best nighters I ever went to was the chaotic RSG cement club effort after Leighton Buzzard went west one night in about 1986. The floor was like wet concrete by the end of the night but I had a great time.

Young people

I half agree with James on this, too. Young people inhabit a much more sophisticated world than did my generation even 20 years ago, with far more entertainment options and choices open to them. Northern doesn't stand a chance in most crap venues in small towns: it needs critical mass.

Never the twain shall meet

I think the age gap at some venues is just too great now, and some attendees just too stuck in their ways, their customs and their dress. At these places, you might as well forget trying to get younger people in.

BTW this isn't a dig, just an observation.

All is not lost

Looking on the bright side:

i) The music is incomparably good (as long as the right tunes are played).

ii) Modern promotional methods can improve the marketing side of things (look at, say, Scenesville's flyers compared to the flyers of the 80s...and that's just one small example).

iii) The media is interested in northern and will sell the message for a good promoter.

iv) Good venues are out there and they want something different.

v) People are out there and they want something different.

What I think (which ain't worth a lot to be honest but...)

A good venue in a big city with a student population, working in conjunction with the students' union, properly and professionally promoted, with a properly thought-out and controlled playlist, run fairly regularly (ie once every three months isn't going to work...no momentum) MIGHT just work.

A soul night till 2/3am, not a nighter.

Cheap entry, maybe even free to NUS, give-away CDs, directions to other events and - and here's the really difficult bit to write - maybe even an upper age limit.

I think you're looking for a feeder club, to use a footy analogy.

May not even break even but it's a way forward. Maybe.

Have to say, Christian's post about a dancefloor full of young birds shows the difference between here and the continent and it's not a flattering comparison for us.

I've always felt northern soul has been too inward-looking. Have lost count of the number of posts on here and RSF where people talk anxiously about the bad old days when northern was all over the media and lots of 'tourists' got involved...well, maybe that had its bad side but at least the coverage then was of a young, vibrant, exciting underground scene!

Edited by Dan
Social source share

Can somebody give me a good reason why one should not smoke on the dance floor?,only time i smoke is when i`m dancing, but if told not to i respect there wishes,i spose this petty rule wont matter when they ban smoking in all puplic places,we will just break the rules end of!,long live the french..... :wicked:

Social source share

Christian, I think this thread is about the UK Northern scene, not the European soul scene. The Eurpean soul scene is a very young and exciting scene with a bright future. I don't think any examples from europe are related in anyway to this thread and only confuse the discussion. :wicked:

link

When did the music take off in europe and why has it become so big compared to the uk where the scene is mainly 40+?

Social source share

I see no point in changing the musical foundations of the soul scene to accommodate a younger generation. Diversity from the scene is already there James, you just haven't been to enough venues to appreciate it, mind you it wouldn't be such a bad thing to get rid of the disco stuff :wicked::shades:

Social source share

Sorry sis', I'm still hung over from Saturday so my usual clumsy writting is more clumsy than normal. :shades:

link

Mum and Dad are away for a few days so im in charge :wicked:

Social source share

Also it can work both ways, so you start playing 60's Northern down the jazz funk club and let them get into soul club's that way :wicked:

Social source share

When did the music take off in europe and why has it become so big compared to the uk where the scene is mainly 40+?

link

When everybody buggerd of to work in the European econemy & live,euro-tunnel might have something to do with this,there are plenty of people who live on the continent,but work here quality of life over there so much better,they still have sundays,at one time this was part of our culture and enforced,thats my opinion for what its worth.Ken

Social source share

=======

Dave,

If the point of the post was to promote forward thinking, then that's what it should stick to. To either generalise or sensationalise a post by writing something like "a old fat crinkly spiking their drink and getting raped", is just colouring the real issue, and in my view offensive. If you/I anybody writes something we're responsible for it surely. It's all about wording, and this forum is open to the public to read...personally I don't want to be associated with James's tag, do you?

James's age by the way, has nothing to do with it, I mentioned it, because it was the easiest way to illustrate how easily offence can be caused.

Winnie:-)

link

Win,

I agree there may have been a smidgeon of sensationalism there :wicked: .......but I took it as a hypothetical suggestion and it never occurred to me to associate to it.

BTW, I didn't realise James had a tag! :lol::shades::lol:

Dave

Social source share

Guest rachel

===========

This isn't aimed at you Rach, cos I can't remember if you do or don't use talc. Just chose your post to make the point :shades:

It would also be nice if people didn't wantonly throw talc all over the floor, not ALL of us use it :wicked:

link

I don't and I agree with you, have fallen over because of both wet and over-talced floors!

Kenny, I would think the main arguments against smoking would be in case you brush against someone/ they brush against you and get burnt.. personally hate getting fag ends stuck to my shoes as well! (and I do smoke when out but only when not dancing, if something comes on I have to get up to I put it out.

Social source share

Another thing, you don't have to spend a lot of money to own great records. There are plenty of cracking tunes that come at a cost of £10 and £20 and under. The only thing you need to spend is a little time listening to them.

That's one of the pleasures of this scene, finding for yourself little gems that give you goose pimples everytime you listen to it.

link

'ere 'ere... :wicked:

Social source share

To be honest the worst problems I have had on the dance floor have been from inconsiderate dancers stamping on my feet, bumping into or elbowing me. Friday night at some soul do there were two girls with drinks and ciggies on the floor, but as there were only about 5 of us dancing there wasn't a problem, but one of them (drunk) staggered into me so I digged her with my elbow, then ran off the floor and hid just incase she realised I did it on purpose :wicked:

Social source share

link

because they aren't blinkered with regardss to the year or the quality and they are blighted by the petty politics that are associated with the UK scene. We went to Oslo last December and think many UK promoters could learn a thing or two about soul music IMHO if they paid a visit :wicked:

Social source share

but also isnt it because soul wasnt a part of europe 20+ years ago, so in reality there arent going to be people 40+ living there into a soul scene. Maybe it is easier to promote a club when you don't have past experts looking over your shoulder, you can cater for what you need to, they are only doing what this country did but quite a few years later on

Social source share

their 20 year olds are the same as our youth club soulies who are now 40+, only differance is that the soul being taken over to europe and played is far progressed from our start and they don't have boundarys to worry about

Social source share

because they aren't blinkered with regardss to the year or the quality and they are blighted by the petty politics that are associated with the UK scene.  We went to Oslo last December and think many UK promoters could learn a thing or two about soul music IMHO if they paid a visit :wicked:

link

==========

Not sure what you mean by blinkered by the year or the quality. I may have read your post wrong, but it reads that they're not bothered by either??

Could it be that the politics don't play much of a part because

a) It's a very small scene?

cool.gif They don't have the plethora of venues to choose from each week?

Social source share

Guest Jamie

==========

Not sure what you mean by blinkered by the year or the quality. I may have read your post wrong, but it reads that they're not bothered by either??

link

I think he meant 'rarity' not 'quality' - not bovved if it's a £10 or £1000 record.

And they also like a mixture of 60's and 70's - not blinkered.

Sorry if I've misread you Chalky, but I assumed that's what you were getting at :wicked:

Jamie

Edited by Jamie
Social source share

their 20 year olds are the same as our youth club soulies who are now 40+, only differance is that the soul being taken over to europe and played is far progressed from our start and they don't have boundarys to worry about

link

========

Don't you think though, that if you went back and visited in 10 years time, someone would be saying, they never used to play this at the Oslo Mecca. Not trying to be flippant, but surely it's only a matter of time before their scene reflects our own.

Social source share

I don't and I agree with you, have fallen over because of both wet and over-talced floors!

Kenny, I would think the main arguments against smoking would be in case you brush against someone/ they brush against you and get burnt.. personally hate getting fag ends stuck to my shoes as well! (and I do smoke when out but only when not dancing, if something comes on I have to get up to I put it out.

link

Looks like i might have to give up dancing/smoking,and you would not have to scrape f/ends of your shoes if you put your fags out in ashtrays usualy provided,tell me how many time you been burnt?,you`d have to stop everything especialy drinkers/drunks who fall all over the place,get more beer on the dance floor than down there necks,the tables look like a pile of shite with piles of flyers all ringing wet,think theres more chance of getting burnt by drunks than by dancers.....

Social source share

Young people these days are not interested in scenes. We learn at school to be free thinking and have our own ideas. The youth will be interested in good music, for good music's sake. If young people are going to get interested in 'soul music' then "Norman Soul" attitudes need to stop, because young people will be revolted by many aspects of what make up "Northern Soul". For example, the whole "remember this, 1978 St Ives, bringing back the memories" is irrelevent to anyone under 40. Young people will be interested in the music for the music's sake, they don't give a shit if it was played at some working man's club in the early 80's, they only want hear a record because it is good, not because they remember it.

I have many good friends on the Northern scene, and  the "Northern scene" is the friendliest group of people you could imagine. However, would I be wrong to suggest that many on the scene are now into it for social reasons and not for the music? How many people go out wanting to hear a new record? I think the case for many (most?) is wanting to hear stuff they know and have on a CD at home and have a good chat with thier mates because they're recently devorced and have nothing else to do?

If a young person is there, it is because they want to hear good new music. The "Norman Soul" attitude will not keep hungry young music lovers around for long.

The only way forward is to forget the past and move on, keep things fresh, and the young music lover will stay interested.

If you want the scene to move forward and survive into the next decade I think you should worry less about the 20 year old girls with bottles of beer in their hands because they are scared of putting it down and having a old fat crinkly spiking their drink and getting raped, and there should be more thought about the music that is played, the venues the music is played at and how the music is promoted.

link

Well said JT :shades:

Can imagine some youngster on their fist visit to a soul do... seeing some 40+ bloke in flares, vest and some 40+ woman in a large circle skirt dancing to the same records they heard the week before.... :lol:

You then get some egotisical t***** telling them how it should be...

must be so appealing and inviting to the youngsters on their first visit to a venue :wicked:

Social source share

because they aren't blinkered with regardss to the year or the quality and they are blighted by the petty politics that are associated with the UK scene.  We went to Oslo last December and think many UK promoters could learn a thing or two about soul music IMHO if they paid a visit :wicked:

link

what sort of thing could UK promoters learn then?

Social source share

but also isnt it because soul wasnt a part of europe 20+ years ago, so in reality there arent going to be people 40+ living there into a soul scene.  Maybe it is easier to promote a club when you don't have past experts looking over your shoulder, you can cater for what you need to, they are only doing what this country did but quite a few years later on

link

I think that sums it up well.....roughly equates to our scene in the late 70's.

Social source share

Guest rachel

Looks like i might have to give up dancing/smoking,and you would not have to scrape f/ends of your shoes if you put your fags out in ashtrays usualy provided,tell me how many time you been burnt?,you`d have to stop everything especialy drinkers/drunks who fall all over the place,get more beer on the dance floor than down there necks,the tables look like a pile of shite with piles of flyers all ringing wet,think theres more chance of getting burnt by drunks than by dancers.....

link

Not having a go, you asked for reasons why people object to smoking on the dancefloor and those are the ones I can think of. I've never seen you dancing, you may be very careful, some people aren't.

Try to use ashtrays whenever possible... not everyone does, some people drop them in the middle of the dancefloor. Have been caught by people's cigarettes a few times, not great on your arms or your clothes believe me!

Social source share

Well said JT  :shades:

Can imagine some youngster on their fist visit to a soul do... seeing some 40+ bloke in flares, vest and some 40+ woman in a large circle skirt dancing to the same records they heard the week before....  :lol:

must be so appealing and inviting to the youngsters on their first visit to a venue  :wicked:

link

:lol:

As you said earlier......'ere, 'ere

Social source share

Well said JT  :lol:

Can imagine some youngster on their fist visit to a soul do... seeing some 40+ bloke in flares, vest and some 40+ woman in a large circle skirt dancing to the same records they heard the week before....  :D

must be so appealing and inviting to the youngsters on their first visit to a venue  :lol:

link

But that is what the soul clubs in the UK are like, there isnt the history in Europe for this to happen! You really can't compare the two Chalky.

How would a youngster know if it was his first visit that they danced to the smae records the week before? or is there a tardis involved in this statement? Who cares what someone wears? And if that person then decided they did like the soul scene and bothered to find out about it they would then appreciate the clothes, and lets face it there are only a few who do dress up this way, have seen a lot worse attire at do's as I am sure most of us have :shades:

And don't be fooled, all James wants to do is make us listen to his funk records :wicked:

Social source share

Guest Jamie

what sort of thing could UK promoters learn then?

link

I'm not a promoter, but I'm willing to learn what I can by attending Soul Clubs full of 20 year old Swedish girls :wicked::shades::lol:

Social source share

==========

link

Over here Win, it's played cause it is as rare as hens teeth but shite and ignored totally cause it's a tenner but quality. Also the vast majority of venues just will not entertain forward thinking djs. They have to book dj's they know are safe and don't stray from the path of the same old same.

No one likes to see an empty floor least of all the dj but records should given time and a chance to heard and accustomed too.

One thing that appealed to me throughout the 80's early 90's was I knew I was going to hear to hear different records. All the dj's had their own identity and playlists. Nowaday most have and play the same records and many have played them for several years :wicked:

With regards to plethora of venues, given the choice of an oldies night or a newies night (whatever era) I know what the choice of most would be. Thsi can't be very appealing to someone in theior late teens hearing Billy Butler or the Constellations every week and watching dancers who wear clothes from the worst era for fashion ever :shades:

Going back to Oslo....the dancers there never left the floor all night....and I dare say they didn't know a lot of the records.

With

Social source share

Not having a go, you asked for reasons why people object to smoking on the dancefloor and those are the ones I can think of. I've never seen you dancing, you may be very careful, some people aren't.

Try to use ashtrays whenever possible... not everyone does, some people drop them in the middle of the dancefloor. Have been caught by people's cigarettes a few times, not great on your arms or your clothes believe me!

link

If that happens again find the biggest bloke in the venue and ask him to return that persons fag the same way you recieved it :wicked:

Social source share

But that is what the soul clubs in the UK are like, there isnt the history in Europe for this to happen!  You really can't compare the two Chalky.

How would a youngster know if it was his first visit that they danced to the smae records the week before?  or is there a tardis involved in this statement?  Who cares what someone wears?  And if that person then decided they did like the soul scene and bothered to find out about it they would then appreciate the clothes, and lets face it there are only a few who do dress up this way, have seen a lot worse attire at do's as I am sure most of us have  :shades:

And don't be fooled, all James wants to do is make us listen to his funk records  :wicked:

link

Surely the point is not what WE think of the "traditional" clothes, more what impression does a first-timer form on seeing the vests, bags etc. ?

Social source share

Well said JT  :lol:

Can imagine some youngster on their fist visit to a soul do... seeing some 40+ bloke in flares, vest and some 40+ woman in a large circle skirt dancing to the same records they heard the week before....  :lol:

must be so appealing and inviting to the youngsters on their first visit to a venue  ranting_1.gif

link

==========

Chalks,

Lets get some perspective on this, isn't this whole thread about telling people how it should be. The punters should/shouldn't wear bags etc. The punters should/shouldn't be prepared to listen to newies/oldies. The whole thread revolves around rules, and what rebellious 18 year old wants to abide by them? People find and make their way on the scene, cos it's in them. IMO no amount of promotion is going to lure youngsters away from what we would consider the norm, they're young, they want to have a beer, find a girl/boy, whatever, floats their boat in effect. I would think the vast majority of youngsters frequenting normal clubs, have absolutely no interest in what's being played as such, they just want to enjoy themselves......and quite rightly so.

Winnie;-)

Social source share

Guest rachel

If that happens again find the biggest bloke in the venue and ask him to return that persons fag the same way you recieved it  :lol:

link

:lol:ranting_1.gif

Social source share

But that is what the soul clubs in the UK are like, there isnt the history in Europe for this to happen!  You really can't compare the two Chalky.

How would a youngster know if it was his first visit that they danced to the smae records the week before?  or is there a tardis involved in this statement?  Who cares what someone wears?  And if that person then decided they did like the soul scene and bothered to find out about it they would then appreciate the clothes, and lets face it there are only a few who do dress up this way, have seen a lot worse attire at do's as I am sure most of us have  :lol:

And don't be fooled, all James wants to do is make us listen to his funk records  ranting_1.gif

link

Ok first few visits :lol:

Why can't you compare the two...most of the records played over there they get to know from the UK collectors. Why can't a UK promoter promote like the Europeans do? Records are played to full floors on the continent regardless whether it's 60's, 70's or 80's, stomper, on the funky side whatever but one thing they are, they are good soul (or it was last time I went over there).

Social source share

Surely the point is not what WE think of the "traditional" clothes, more what impression does a first-timer form on seeing the vests, bags etc. ?

link

A point here, how many of us still own bags? I might do ranting_1.gif and i certainly know a number of blokes who do. How many of their wifes/partners would actually allow them to wear them? Mine would not :lol:

Social source share

link

Dave one weekend when we are both free come to Rochester Casino Room's with me and we can sit in the car park and make notes of what people are wearing, and this will be 100's wearing very strange clothes, hardly think someone is going to be worried about a few circle skirts LOL

If some 20 year old who has never heard soul music decides to come along to a do I think it will be the age of the people in there that will scare them off, long before they even spot a circle skirt LOL

Social source share

==========

Chalks,

Lets get some perspective on this, isn't this whole thread about telling people how it should be. The punters should/shouldn't wear bags etc. The punters should/shouldn't be prepared to listen to newies/oldies. The whole thread revolves around rules, and what rebellious 18 year old wants to abide by them? People find and make their way on the scene, cos it's in them. IMO no amount of promotion is going to lure youngsters away from what we would consider the norm, they're young, they want to have a beer, find a girl/boy, whatever, floats their boat in effect. I would think the vast majority of youngsters frequenting normal clubs, have absolutely no interest in what's being played as such, they just want to enjoy themselves......and quite rightly so.

Winnie;-)

link

Not read all the thread Win just picked up on one or two posts...I'll shut up :lol::lol:

I agree Win youngsters don't give two shits about rules. But most of the problems I've seen on dancefloors with regards to drinks come form older piss heads who just happen to stumble on a night oout where the bar is open later. Mopst of the times youngsters have transgressed I've seen soulies have a quiet word and problem solved, once or twice a threat issued and then the problem solved ranting_1.gif

But are there that many youngsters to lay the law down too? There is a distinct lack of them at venues IMO and something needs to be done to attract them.

Social source share

==========

Chalks,

Winnie;-)

link

Have to agree, I've been into this scene since I was 15 or so but when I got into it everybody was still quite young! Wigan hadn't long finished, the mod and scooter scenes were busy so the scene had a much younger average age. I can't honestly remember anybody much older than late twenties at the likes of Morecambe, Warrington etc (in the mid 80s). I'm sure I would have been put off otherwise.

I think that younger people will enjoy themselves at venues where there's a higher than average amount of younger people (like New Century), BUT the combination of not knowing the music and a load of geezers older than your dad would definitely put a lot off! It's natural for younger people to want to spend time with people more their own age ranting_1.gif

Social source share

Ok first few visits  ranting_1.gif

Why can't you compare the two...most of the records played over there they get to know from the UK collectors.  Why can't a UK promoter promote like the Europeans do?  Records are played to full floors on the continent regardless whether it's 60's, 70's or 80's, stomper, on the funky side whatever but one thing they are, they are good soul (or it was last time I went over there).

link

Because europe doesnt have 2,000 soulies who want to hear oldies for most of the night, they dont exsist over there, and the younger guys who are promoting have such a passion for it that they do come here and go to venues and hear great new stuff and take it back to europe with them, and it's accepted as they won't have 100 people at their do asking for billy ocean or bright eyes :lol:

Social source share

Dave one weekend when we are both free come to Rochester Casino Room's with me and we can sit in the car park and make notes of what people are wearing, and this will be 100's wearing very strange clothes, hardly think someone is going to be worried about a few circle skirts LOL

If some 20 year old who has never heard soul music decides to come along to a do I think it will be the age of the people in there that will scare them off, long before they even spot a circle skirt LOL

link

For a start what would Karen say if I sat in a car park with you? ranting_1.gif:lol:

As far as the clothes go, I am recounting what youngsters have said to me.....have a look at what Baz posted on the "beer towel" thread :lol:

Social source share

Over here Win, it's played cause it is as rare as hens teeth but shite and ignored totally cause it's a tenner but quality.  Also the vast majority of venues just will not entertain forward thinking djs.  They have to book dj's they know are safe and don't stray from the path of the same old same.

No one likes to see an empty floor least of all the dj but records should given time and a chance to heard and accustomed too.

One thing that appealed to me throughout the 80's early 90's was I knew I was going to hear to hear different records.  All the dj's had their own identity and playlists.  Nowaday most have and play the same records and many have played them for several years  ranting_1.gif

With regards to plethora of venues, given the choice of an oldies night or a newies night (whatever era) I know what the choice of most would be.  Thsi can't be very appealing to someone in theior late teens hearing Billy Butler or the Constellations every week and watching dancers who wear clothes from the worst era for fashion ever  :lol:

Going back to Oslo....the dancers there never left the floor all night....and  I dare say they didn't know a lot of the records.

With

link

========

I know this debate has raged over and over again, but in Britain, oldies probably rule for the vast majority, which means that the DJs being booked, must be prepared to cater for that. Promotions abroad would have a much free'r rein because they wouldn't be plagued by people who attended the casino, mecca, wheel, stafford etc and still hold allegiances, and want to hear memories. So a newer fresher approach is possible and embraced because whilst the soulies in these countries are aware of the history and the legendary venues, they've never experienced them. And to me that is the key, when you have, it leaves an indelible mark, a time of your life when everything was fantastic, consequently a lot of us want to experience it again. I know the scene has always attempted to be a progressive one, and I applaud it for that stance, but to be constantly knocked for preferring oldies is disheartening to say the least.

Personally I don't want to read posts saying, you dress comically, or you're stuck in a time warp, anybody who takes that route does so because they want to, it's how they enjoy the scene, and that is their right.

The scene is there to be enjoyed, just how you/me/anybody does that is down to the individual :-)

Winnie:)

Social source share

For a start what would Karen say if I sat in a car park with you? ranting_1.gif   :lol:

As far as the clothes go, I am recounting what youngsters have said to me.....have a look at what Baz posted on the "beer towel" thread :lol:

link

I read that and have to agree with him. Have seen youngsters having a reet old laugh at the attire of some folk at soul nights........

Social source share

I fink I know the answer wacko.gif

1, Find a venu

2, Book your DJ's, all of which have to have discovered or broken at least 5 records in the past 10 years, and don't play a record which has been played by another DJ in the past 12 months, under £30 is a bonus and gets them the best spot

3, Advertise the event in all the local uni's, newspapers, telephone box's

4, Proof of age, under 40's only

5, Dress code, only people dressed in clothes bought from top shop / top man between the years of 1999 and 2005 will be allowed in, receipts required to check date of purchase

And there you have it the perfect soul do full of young people

You only got a year or so to do this though chalky as your close tot he big 40

ranting_1.gif:lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!