Youngsters On The Scene

I have a right old laugh at some of the attire, mostly Winston's shirts although he has improved since Matt moved out and he doenst think he's a 21 year old anymore ranting_1.gif

Bring back the ra ra skirts

Social source share

• Replies 220
  • Views 21.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

I read that and have to agree with him.  Have seen youngsters having a reet old laugh at the attire of some folk at soul nights........

link

QUOTE(Dave @ May 15 2005, 07:19 PM)

Theres a thread a little further down this section about youngsters on the scene and the general consensus seems to be that they need encouraging if the scene is to survive more than ten years.

I wonder what a youngster thinks when he walks into a venue for the first time and sees an article such as you've described????

they get there camera phones out laughing there heads of and sending it round to all there mates, ive seen it done

This post has been edited by bazbond: Yesterday, 08:15 PM

Social source share

I fink I know the answer  wacko.gif  

1, Find a venu

2, Book your DJ's, all of which have to have discovered or broken at least 5 records in the past 10 years, and don't play a record which has been played by another DJ in the past 12 months, under £30 is a bonus and gets them the best spot

link

Maybe you should take up promoting Janine ranting_1.gif

Social source share

so ban circle skirts and baggies and play some funk, do you really think that is going to attract younger people (apart from Shane that is) ranting_1.gif

Would lifeline turn someone away if they turned up in those clothes?

Social source share

For a start what would Karen say if I sat in a car park with you? ranting_1.gif   :lol:

As far as the clothes go, I am recounting what youngsters have said to me.....have a look at what Baz posted on the "beer towel" thread :lol:

link

=========

The scene is about music not clothing. If a youngster says something like "I can't come here again, he's got baggy trousers on, and what's with the beer towel" then I really don't think said youngster is 'getting' it, and good riddance.

If he/she says this music is fantastic and it really moves me, then this person is someone to be cultivated, cos he/she will adapt and get over petty things like what someone is wearing :yes:

Winnie:-)

Social source share

so ban circle skirts and baggies and play some funk, do you really think that is going to attract younger people (apart from Shane that is)  :lol:

link

Who said owt about ban them? not me. Lifeline played soul on the funky side though ranting_1.gif

Social source share

so ban circle skirts and baggies and play some funk, do you really think that is going to attract younger people (apart from Shane that is)  :lol:

link

Who said owt about ban them?  not me.  Lifeline played soul on the funky side though  ranting_1.gif

link

Lifeline is all about what Winstons says...the music..but it's progressive soul and not the same old same. Lifeline has proved that you can play something different and fill the dance floor.

Social source share

QUOTE(Dave @ May 15 2005, 07:19 PM)

Theres a thread a little further down this section about youngsters on the scene and the general consensus seems to be that they need encouraging if the scene is to survive more than ten years.

I wonder what a youngster thinks when he walks into a venue for the first time and sees an article such as you've described????

they get there camera phones out laughing there heads of and sending it round to all there mates, ive seen it done

This post has been edited by bazbond: Yesterday, 08:15 PM

link

==========

As Janine said there aren't a proliferation of soulies wearing bags, vests etc, but there are some. All this thread will do is make them self consious about going out, and whether they are being laughed at. I would like to re-iterate, this scene has always been about acceptance providing the music is being appreciated, if youngsters are coming along and doing as Baz said, then they're IMO not welcome, because they obviously don't understand the cameraderie.

Social source share

=========

The scene is about music not clothing. If a youngster says something like "I can't come here again, he's got baggy trousers on, and what's with the beer towel" then I really don't think said youngster is 'getting' it, and good riddance.

If he/she says this music is fantastic and it really moves me, then this person is someone to be cultivated, cos he/she will adapt and get over petty things like what someone is wearing :lol:

link

If it's just about music and not clothing, why do people wear garments to soul nights that they would not wear in the pub or at a birthday party? ranting_1.gif

I'm not sure that there are enough youngsters showing an initial interest for us to decide who to cultivate and who to reject :lol:

As I see it, the most important point is that if we don't soon start to attract some new blood the scene will start to decline in ....what? Five years time?

Dave

Social source share

If it's just about music and not clothing, why do people wear garments to soul nights that they would not wear in the pub or at a birthday party? ranting_1.gif

I'm not sure that there are enough youngsters showing an initial interest for us to decide who to cultivate and who to reject :lol:

As I see it, the most important point is that if we don't soon start to attract some new blood the scene will start to decline in ....what? Five years time?

Dave

link

=========

Hmmm the logical next step is that if this new blood laughs at the way someone dances, which I've witnessed a few times, then the dancer in question should hang up his/her shoes for fear of frightening away the youngsters.

Social source share

Guest Brian J

=======

Dave,

If the point of the post was to promote forward thinking, then that's what it should stick to. To either generalise or sensationalise a post by writing something like "a old fat crinkly spiking their drink and getting raped", is just colouring the real issue, and in my view offensive. If you/I anybody writes something we're responsible for it surely. It's all about wording, and this forum is open to the public to read...personally I don't want to be associated with James's tag, do you?

James's age by the way, has nothing to do with it, I mentioned it, because it was the easiest way to illustrate how easily offence can be caused.

link

============

f*** off Winnie you fat old crinkly haired twat ranting_1.gif:lol::lol:

Social source share

I'm not a promoter, but I'm willing to learn what I can by attending Soul Clubs full of 20 year old Swedish girls  :lol:   :lol:   :yes:

link

tell you what i'll help in any way posible to get this going can i do searches on the door ranting_1.gif

Social source share

Dave/Chalky and whoever else, why do you want new blood on the scene, and what is it you want these younger people to actually do for the scene? Your taking about getting them in by playing different things to what we are listening to now in club's, so why not just go and open a completely new night playing that instead? It won't be what's kept this scene going for so many years

Social source share

==========

As Janine said there aren't a proliferation of soulies wearing bags, vests etc, but there are some. All this thread will do is make them self consious about going out, and whether they are being laughed at. I would like to re-iterate, this scene has always been about acceptance providing the music is being appreciated, if youngsters are coming along and doing as Baz said, then they're IMO not welcome, because they obviously don't understand the cameraderie.

link

when i whitnessed that, there was a group of them all my age and was at the do not out of curiosity or wanting to try some thing differnt they were there for other reasons ranting_1.gif and doubt they would come back :lol:

Social source share

• 13 years later...

Youngsters are the next oldies, the scene will always continue !! I started collecting soul music when I was about 14, I'm now 67. I was also one of the youngsters at the Twisted Wheel, Catacombs,  Harisons hoist, the Top twenty club, etc etc. Youngsters are the life blood of the continuing soul scene. We would be dead without them, and as for teaching etietiquette, the scene will evolve to be their scene and it will be what they want , just as ours was what we wanted !

KTF 

PAUL JAMES.  

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert