Southwind Symphony - Coming Home

Benji

• Replies 11
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

First played back in 1980ish by the great late Nev Wherry. Covered-up as Ramsey Lewis, it was absolutely massive at time. Think John Manship subsequently turned them up in quantity, and like Will Colins and Willpower, Carol Anderson, Flaming King, etc, you could buy them from most record bars at £2 a pop. I still have my copy the Nev gave me at the St Ives Alldayer he did. Never forget that set, where he ended with Lainie Hill, Time Marches On.

Andy, thanks for the info. Can see why it was massive at that time. Proper instrumental (i.e. not simply a backing track), 100% Northern Soul and then some. I bought my copy two years ago in a job lot and never actually played it until a week ago. Since then heavy rotation on the iPod laugh.gif

This bit is from Manship's site:

"Superb Northern Soul, with lickin' hammond organ. Memphis reworking of Lou Pride's classic - I'm comun home in the mornun - thumps along. Kenneth Smith and Al Green's organist did a great job replacing Lou's vocal."

Fully agree with that. It's a shame that the flipside, instrumental of Lou's "your love is fading" is rather pale in comparison...

Social source share

Andy, thanks for the info. Can see why it was massive at that time. Proper instrumental (i.e. not simply a backing track), 100% Northern Soul and then some. I bought my copy two years ago in a job lot and never actually played it until a week ago. Since then heavy rotation on the iPod :thumbup:

"Superb Northern Soul, with lickin' hammond organ. Memphis reworking of Lou Pride's classic - I'm comun home in the mornun - thumps along. Kenneth Smith and Al Green's organist did a great job replacing Lou's vocal."

Fully agree with that. It's a shame that the flipside, instrumental of Lou's "your love is fading" is rather pale in comparison...

benji,

You know at the time, I didn't like the hammond breaks but now I think there are the best bits. The story behind the record is long and complicated, we had 1300 copies back then, today i doubt if you have 6 left.. if you need a copy..

https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/searchartist....ONY&Format=

Bill Glore was the owner of the label, his recording studio was directly opposite the famous mountain of vinyl at Select O Sounds in Memphis. I met Kenny Smith at the time, if I remember right Elvis had died the week before the whole city was in mourning. Kenny told me at the time he pressed 4000 Lou Prides on SUEMI vocal version they all went into circulation mostly in Texas and disappeared. It's a good story, 1977 in Memphis, those were the days when records were everywhere and i knew sod all, if i had more time i'd go into detail.

John

Social source share

It is great, and doesn't it have a nice instrumental of your love is fading on the flip? Didn't Jonathan pay about £250 for it?

If anyone has it mp3'd and it doesn't break any rules I would really appreciate copies of both sides. Follishly when the collection got sold I didn't record either. Doh!

Cheers all,

RB

Social source share

It is great, and doesn't it have a nice instrumental of your love is fading on the flip? Didn't Jonathan pay about £250 for it?

If anyone has it mp3'd and it doesn't break any rules I would really appreciate copies of both sides. Follishly when the collection got sold I didn't record either. Doh!

Cheers all,

RB

Social source share

Cheers all,

RB

He wasn't the only one who believed it was an exclusive..one or two DJ's paid lot for it only for copies to flood in shortly after..i remember some guys were very upset...

Social source share

Does anyone know the story behind Southwind Symphony - Coming home on Glolite?

Fantastic instrumental version of Lou Pride's coming home in the morning. I understand this is a legit release done by the producers of Lou Pride?

has this ever been booted or are all copies real/legit ?

Social source share

benji,

You know at the time, I didn't like the hammond breaks but now I think there are the best bits. The story behind the record is long and complicated, we had 1300 copies back then, today i doubt if you have 6 left.. if you need a copy..

https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/searchartist....ONY&Format=

Bill Glore was the owner of the label, his recording studio was directly opposite the famous mountain of vinyl at Select O Sounds in Memphis. I met Kenny Smith at the time, if I remember right Elvis had died the week before the whole city was in mourning. Kenny told me at the time he pressed 4000 Lou Prides on SUEMI vocal version they all went into circulation mostly in Texas and disappeared. It's a good story, 1977 in Memphis, those were the days when records were everywhere and i knew sod all, if i had more time i'd go into detail.

John

John, thanks but I already got a copy. I agree with you the hammond organ bits are the best. Usually if a record has good hammond organ breaks in it, it is a winner for me.

Maybe time for reactivation of this forgotten oldie?

Social source share

John, thanks but I already got a copy. I agree with you the hammond organ bits are the best. Usually if a record has good hammond organ breaks in it, it is a winner for me.

great version but when was it recorded 1969/ 1970 when Lou Pride was or late 70s?

I remember ordering my copy from Mr Manship for about £1.50 or whatever it was.....big floor filler at the time too.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

=========

a big favourite at the Nuneaton Co-op Oldies nites!

gr8 oldie......

Social source share

First played back in 1980ish by the great late Nev Wherry. Covered-up as Ramsey Lewis, it was absolutely massive at time. Think John Manship subsequently turned them up in quantity, and like Will Colins and Willpower, Carol Anderson, Flaming King, etc, you could buy them from most record bars at £2 a pop. I still have my copy the Nev gave me at the St Ives Alldayer he did. Never forget that set, where he ended with Lainie Hill, Time Marches On.

Was a great time for lovers of instrumentals, then again everybody did, remember watching people dance to this thinking it was the vocal, i still love and buy instrumentals, this was played ans then came frank foster we were very lucky indeed :D

Social source share

Andy, thanks for the info. Can see why it was massive at that time. Proper instrumental (i.e. not simply a backing track), 100% Northern Soul and then some. I bought my copy two years ago in a job lot and never actually played it until a week ago. Since then heavy rotation on the iPod :thumbsup:

Mine as K Smiths;Lou Prides;Al Green autograph on it,other side is good too.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!