Another Charity Benefits From

Guest smudgesmith

Donnelly and I have been known to lower ourselves in the past , but to go to the level of boogalooing between the tables of a cafe in a shopping centre , I do not think so ........

Malc Burton

Don lower himself.................you seen him try and tie his shoe laces???? :thumbsup:

Sometimes it makes me sad that Im only 18 yrs old :rolleyes: and missed the "Torch" i just wish i could travel back those hundred years and be a part of it,just for one night. whistling.gif

Social source share

• Replies 910
  • Views 41.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Me and Malc are having a pow wow next Sat at the Morley Club Bardford at the moment leaving all our options open, however really appreciate that there are people out there who want a reunion for ALL the right reasons.

In the meantime lets start the ball rolling all those that wish to attend a Torch Reunion in October as near as we can to Hose St please email me (NO PM;S) with a rough idea of how many tickets they would need so we may start buidling up a contact list so we can keep you informed as the reunion night develops

I can't empasise how helpful this information will be.

PaulDonnellyBP@aol.com

Cheers PD

Edited by PaulDonnelly
Social source share

who's be up for it?

Memo to Mr Malc Burton...just doing some market research before you drop a bollock or organise one of the greatest nights the ole farts will have for a long, very long time :thumbsup:

Yes or No will suffice guys and especially gals.. :thumbsup:ph34r.gif

If you're stuck for a venue how about our factory in China !!!

Hansen Wind Energy Drives Co Ltd

Huaihe Road, Beichen Hi-Tech Ind

Room 410, The Torch Building No 5

CN-300410 Tianjin

CHINA

:thumbsup::thumbsup:thumbup.gif

Social source share

It grieves me to admit to never having visited The Torch but I can put you in touch with Ian (TNT) Turner. He doesn't do much DJ'ing now but I was able to persuade him to do my 50th Birthday Bash a couple of years ago. (It was only because we were both in Bradder Scouts). He was a few years older than me at school and it was only when he came to Brum Uni, backing Emperor Rosko, that I learnt a bit about his taste in music.

Social source share

It grieves me to admit to never having visited The Torch but I can put you in touch with Ian (TNT) Turner. He doesn't do much DJ'ing now but I was able to persuade him to do my 50th Birthday Bash a couple of years ago. (It was only because we were both in Bradder Scouts). He was a few years older than me at school and it was only when he came to Brum Uni, backing Emperor Rosko, that I learnt a bit about his taste in music.

I will be posting a full " press " statement in the next day or so , in respect of the reasons behind PD and myself putting this promotion on .

What I have to say will dispel those doubts and silence the critics , that it is being done for the wrong reasons ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

I will be posting a full " press " statement in the next day or so , in respect of the reasons behind PD and myself putting this promotion on .

What I have to say will dispel those doubts and silence the critics , that it is being done for the wrong reasons ........

Malc Burton

:thumbsup: bloody hell Malc count to ten... laugh.gif:thumbsup:

Social source share

uno , due , tre , quattro , cinque , sei , sette , otto , nove , dieci :thumbsup: ........

Malc Burton

eh signor malome burtone tue parla italiano vincenzo he hee

Social source share

Guest bazrico

uno , due , tre , quattro , cinque , sei , sette , otto , nove , dieci :thumbsup: ........

Malc Burton

fook me when ever i was told to count 10 i went 1-10 lol

Social source share

do you remember the date of your 1st ever Torch all-nighter? how about your 2nd?

Only went twice.

Sat 13th Jan 1973... my footy team played Derby Co in the FA cup, 5pm we were shouting "stay, stay run, run, stay" at 6.30 we'd had some gear and we were Tunstall bound via the Bell and Oak

Sat 10th Feb 1973---my birthday...17 years young....happy days.

Social source share

do you remember the date of your 1st ever Torch all-nighter? how about your 2nd?

On opening night, we travelled dodwn from Blackpool, I had no idea where, why or what we were doing I just followed someone else to be honest I don't remember much of it. I do remember other

nights though including grabbing all those girls who'd come down (or is it up ?) from the Gloucester area (I had no idea where that was back then - I thought it was somewhere near Wales :-) This blonde bird, forgot her name, had used so much hairspray on her bonce it was like she had a crash helmet on :thumbup: Good kisser though :lol:

If I'm not mistaken the Torch was only open 1 full year as a NS all-nighter but it's impact is probably as great as the other "Big Three" (Wheel, Mecca, Wigan) Boy!! there was some good stuff played there dude................ thumbsup.gif

Social source share

On opening night, we travelled dodwn from Blackpool, I had no idea where, why or what we were doing I just followed someone else to be honest I don't remember much of it. I do remember other

nights though including grabbing all those girls who'd come down (or is it up ?) from the Gloucester area (I had no idea where that was back then - I thought it was somewhere near Wales :-) This blonde bird, forgot her name, had used so much hairspray on her bonce it was like she had a crash helmet on :) Good kisser though :lol:

If I'm not mistaken the Torch was only open 1 full year as a NS all-nighter but it's impact is probably as great as the other "Big Three" (Wheel, Mecca, Wigan) Boy!! there was some good stuff played there dude................ :thumbsup:

The first AN was Saturday March 11th 1972 , and the last - which was an AD ( starting at 2 PM I recall ) , running until around 2.30 AM on the Sunday morning , as the AN licence had been revoked on Friday March 16th - was on Saturday March 24th 1973 .......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

I do remember other nights though including grabbing all those girls who'd come down (or is it up ?) from the Gloucester area (I had no idea where that was back then - I thought it was somewhere near Wales :-) This blonde bird, forgot her name, had used so much hairspray on her bonce it was like she had a crash helmet on :D Good kisser though :(

Chris I suspect you may be talking about Di (Diane) who came from Worcester. She used to hang about with a few others from Worcester, Malvern, Evesham, Redditch & Glos. Can't account for her her kissing technique tho!!! tongue.gif

Anyway I will definitly be up for a reunion & October would be great for me as I have to fly over from Oz & my arms get ever so tired :lol:

I'll email Paul :(

Social source share

Chris I suspect you may be talking about Di (Diane) who came from Worcester. She used to hang about with a few others from Worcester, Malvern, Evesham, Redditch & Glos. Can't account for her her kissing technique tho!!! tongue.gif

Anyway I will definitly be up for a reunion & October would be great for me as I have to fly over from Oz & my arms get ever so tired :lol:

I'll email Paul :lol:

Paul

I think you're right, I think her name was Diane.............what a wonderful memory you have. We'll defoo be there in any case think Diane might make it? :)

Social source share

I'll email Paul :lol:

which one is Di?

torchbadgeonrailings.jpg

Social source share

Only went twice

===============================================================

I first went early 72 with Fred Morton and Topper after that we went to nearly every niter there

We used to hire a van and Big Clemmy from Leigh use to drive it smashed out of his yed

we had some brill times goin down to Tunstall sometimes has many as 12 in the back of the van and 3 in front :lol: everyone buzzin in the back playin the tunes of the day on the Discotron .

The last nite there was the Alldayer after the niter licence had been revoked around 8-30pm we all

jumped into the van made are way back to our mates wedding reception at Higher Folds Labour Club in Leigh all smashed out of our brains then around 11-30 we went off to Farnworth to the Niter at Troggs

nearly everyone had got the same idea because Troggs was rammed to the rafters and the doors locked

loads in the street outside playin cassettes ---Discotrons ect it was nearly as good has being inside

Great Times i feel priviledged to have lived through those early days of the Northern Scene and to have met so many wonderful people and become friends with so many and to have seen and talked to many of the Artist like Jackie Wilson in Warrington Carlton Club, Jnr Walker Major Lance who i become friends with during 73..... and many many more like Tommy Hunt Edwin Starr ect ect who today have become

true legends in very sense in the World of Soul Music. Thats one of the things that makes being part of the Family on the Northern Scene great THE ARTIST the guys and Girls who made it all possible with their wonderful music people like Billy Prince ..Jerry Williams..Pat Lewis..Doni Burdick.. Syl Johnson Sam Hutchins

the list go on and on they really appreciate the love and kindness given to them and there familys whenever they come over to the UK.... Great Stuff Hey WHAT A SCENE !!! :lol:

LOVE, PEACE & HAPPINESS

Ian Cunliffe

Social source share

I first went early 72 with Fred Morton and Topper after that we went to nearly every niter there

We used to hire a van and Big Clemmy from Leigh use to drive it smashed out of his yed

we had some brill times goin down to Tunstall sometimes has many as 12 in the back of the van and 3 in front :lol: everyone buzzin in the back playin the tunes of the day on the Discotron .

The last nite there was the Alldayer after the niter licence had been revoked around 8-30pm we all

jumped into the van made are way back to our mates wedding reception at Higher Folds Labour Club in Leigh all smashed out of our brains then around 11-30 we went off to Farnworth to the Niter at Troggs

nearly everyone had got the same idea because Troggs was rammed to the rafters and the doors locked

loads in the street outside playin cassettes ---Discotrons ect it was nearly as good has being inside

Great Times i feel priviledged to have lived through those early days of the Northern Scene and to have met so many wonderful people and become friends with so many and to have seen and talked to many of the Artist like Jackie Wilson in Warrington Carlton Club, Jnr Walker Major Lance who i become friends with during 73..... and many many more like Tommy Hunt Edwin Starr ect ect who today have become

true legends in very sense in the World of Soul Music. Thats one of the things that makes being part of the Family on the Northern Scene great THE ARTIST the guys and Girls who made it all possible with their wonderful music people like Billy Prince ..Jerry Williams..Pat Lewis..Doni Burdick.. Syl Johnson Sam Hutchins

the list go on and on they really appreciate the love and kindness given to them and there familys whenever they come over to the UK.... Great Stuff Hey WHAT A SCENE !!! :lol:

LOVE, PEACE & HAPPINESS

Ian Cunliffe

so do you wanna a ticket or what. LOL?

Mr Cunliffe, .its nice folk like you that make all this worthwhile.

do you remember that friday night at Leigh Squash club when I was off me tits and I somehow manged to knock down that playing card pyramid done by the local Down Syndrome school.. ohmy.gif

Btw was as the name of the wheelite who used to knock about with Tomo reall good dancer, moustache, has a handicapped child lives nr to Wigan? Ronnie????

Edited by PaulDonnelly
Social source share

Only went twice.

Sat 13th Jan 1973... my footy team played Derby Co in the FA cup, 5pm we were shouting "stay, stay run, run, stay" at 6.30 we'd had some gear and we were Tunstall bound via the Bell and Oak

The Torch All Nighters started MARCH 11 1972

I have posted the flyer below, missing is the bit you had to cut off with your name and addresss on so your membership card could be sent in time for the next momth( eventurley the niters went weekly to cope with demand)

Also posted is me membership card which years later when i showed it this to Chris Burton he told me the first few 100 where written by himself and this was one of them, he was that impressed he borrowed it to show his son who at the time had never seen one!!

Nige B

post-1851-1234367425_thumb.jpg

post-1851-1234367459_thumb.jpg

Edited by Torchboy
Social source share

so do you wanna a ticket or what. LOL?

Mr Cunliffe, .its nice folk like you that make all this worthwhile.

do you remember that friday night at Leigh Squash club when I was off me tits and I somehow manged to knock down that playing card pyramid done by the local Down Syndrome school.. :D

Btw was as the name of the wheelite who used to knock about with Tomo reall good dancer, moustache, has a handicapped child lives nr to Wigan? Ronnie????

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hiya Paul yip i remember that nite how mad was that god i drank some grog that neet he he

Ron Teder aka Flogger from Golborne is the guy your thinkin about all his family where on the Northern scene sisters Elenor, Pam, Julie and brothers Hans ( Lick ), Pete , Albert ( Bruno ) Lick & Pete use to go to the Torch regulary with the rest of the Golborne crew many of them are still on the scene here in the NorthWest Ron ( Flogger ) can still be seen flyin around the dancefloor at Lowton Civic he use to be one of the scenes top dancers circa 69 onwards great bloke and still got his roofing business in Golborne.

Talking about the Squash Club in Leigh i had my 40th party there it was packed solid Bob Hinsley Alex Jones Phil Wainwright, Carl and Saus dj,d for me the bloke who owned the club was my next door neigbour

and he put that incredible buffett on has my birthday pressy he,d seen nowt like it before a Northern Party with soulies sellin 45,s in the corrider ect ect he made more money behind the bar that night than the 4 months previous . A lot of my friends i grew up with Steve Donlan, Terry Bilsbury, John Woods ect

where International Rugby League Players and they said it was the best party they had ever been too

all three of them are big lovers of Soul Music Terry Bilsbury along with Woody use to go to Blackpool Mecca Highland Room quite a bit in the 70,s Ah well roll on my 60th in 5 yrs time :lol:

YES I WILL HAVE 2 TICKETS BEFORE I FORGET :lol:

Social source share

YES I WILL HAVE 2 TICKETS BEFORE I FORGET :lol:

good man..can you email me so I can add your name to the rest as MALC will be contacting you with all the details Iam....PaulDonnellyBP@aol.com

It was the fellar from Golbourne, lives in a terraced housem, then again you all do upt thur :D

how about getting Tomo out for this one?

Social source share

The Torch All Nighters started MARCH 11 1972

I have posted the flyer below, missing is the bit you had to cut off with your name and addresss on so your membership card could be sent in time for the next momth( eventurley the niters went weekly to cope with demand)

Also posted is me membership card which years later when i showed it this to Chris Burton he told me the first few 100 where written by himself and this was one of them, he was that impressed he borrowed it to show his son who at the time had never seen one!!

Nige B

There is an echo in here ......... posted yesterday -

The first AN was Saturday March 11th 1972 , and the last - which was an AD ( starting at 2 PM I recall ) , running until around 2.30 AM on the Sunday morning , as the AN licence had been revoked on Friday March 16th - was on Saturday March 24th 1973 .......

Malc Burton

Keep up Nige :D ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

There is an echo in here ......... posted yesterday -

Malc Burton

Keep up Nige :lol: ........

Malc Burton

Malc, Do ya think we ought to alert the local St Johns Ambulance to be in attendance. A room full of geriatic 50+ year olds backdroppin etc ----could be quite a casualty list :lol:

Not to mention associated bladder issues with that age group :D:lol:

Social source share

Malc, Do ya think we ought to alert the local St Johns Ambulance to be in attendance. A room full of geriatic 50+ year olds backdroppin etc ----could be quite a casualty list :D

Not to mention associated bladder issues with that age group :unsure:huh.gif

Inky winkey damwang Pooh

Back is back

I'm in a world of (pile) trouble

Shit and Runs

Social source share

Only went twice.

That surprises me cos I got the impression you'd been there loads of times. Now my mate Kev reckons it wasn't as easy then as it is now to travel...not so many cars about and public transport not what it is today (yes I know that's debateable ) & money being tight...didn't seem to stop him mind...nor Officer Dibble from the stories I've heard wink.gif:D

Mind you in the general scheme of things the club didn't run for that long did it...and you hit the back end of it from the dates posted up on here...will have to pin said mate down to exactly how many times he went.

As for me I was the grand old age of 12 in the early part of 1973 so there was never a hope in hell of me getting there :unsure::wicked:

Social source share

Change your bags - Willie Kendricks.

Crackin' Up Over Loo

Take Your Love And Runs

Love You Baby ( If I Can remember Who You Are )

Just Like The Wetness

I've Been Hernia

Keep On Tablets

Countdown ( I Can't Come )

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

Malc Burton ? dont know that one?

Can i have a ticket please.I never went to the "Torch" but i know you big boys will look after me.

Ps Have you got any sweets mister?

Will they play,

Dry your Pants out ........... Dottie Camdridge

Social source share

Can i have a ticket please.I never went to the "Torch" but i know you big boys will look after me.

Will they play,

Yes possibly but they may play The wet Direction =Clara ward :P

Edited by jez jones
Social source share

Will they play,

Jelly babies do ?

Malc Burton

Social source share

"Its gonna be a reet POSH doo is this Torch Reunion"

areetPoshdooo.jpg

Date? now sorted

Venue? now sorted subject to approval from Chairman Malc

DJ's? on the case

Press statement to be released later today .

Malc Burton

Social source share

there a tad off colour but are deffo not blue mush.... wink.gif

With reference to your email Paul .......

You can knock of the doors in HS , I do not want that old twazzack having a go at me again :thumbsup: ......

I told the tale about the incident to C last night , to which he p****d himself .......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Press statement to be released later today .

As promised , stated " press " release ..........

The Torch Reunion - Saturday 24th October

When Paul Donnelly and I first mooted the idea of staging a a Torch reunion night , we agreed that we had to do it correctly .

Please do not get me wrong , or misunderstand our meaning of the statement " correctly " : this does not imply that those creditable people in the past who have staged a similar night , have not done it incorrectly .

Our interpration of the word " correctly " , means that Paul and I imposed a discipline on ourselves , in order to ensure that we produced and staged , a night befitting the respected name of The Torch , honouring a venue that provided the musical soundtrack to many peoples' lives , and to an era that forged friendships that have stood the test of time .

The old adage of " if it is worth doing , it is worth doing right " is to the forefront of this endeavour , and we feel we are doing just that with this night ........

The venue is 400 yards from Hose Street in Tunstall .

The DJs are authentic Torch DJs .

The music will be 100% authentic Torch " stopping the horse next door from sleeping " tunes : all the well known sounds plus many more that have been forgotten .

Profits , after expenses , will go to two Tunstall charities selected by Radio Stoke's Mary Fox .

Full details - ticket prices / availability etc - will be announced in the next two weeks .

Malc Burton

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!