Another Charity Benefits From

I just wanna go up there with some close mates, hopefully meet some old and new mates from all over the uk, have a laugh, smile a little, laugh a little, cry a little and dance a lot to the sounds that without question to this day still have a profound effect on my personal musical taste.

Its a reunion not a revival and to that end when the details are released I hope like minded folk who wish to say " thanks and goodbye to Hose St, Tunstall , Stoke on Trent" will attend for ALL the right reasons..

Right on Brothers and Sisters...

PD

Social source share

• Replies 910
  • Views 41.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I just wanna go up there with some close mates, hopefully meet some old and new mates from all over the uk, have a laugh, smile a little, laugh a little, cry a little and dance a lot to the sounds that without question to this day still have a profound effect on my personal musical taste.

Its a reunion not a revival and to that end when the details are released I hope like minded folk who wish to say " thanks and goodbye to Hose St, Tunstall , Stoke on Trent" will attend for ALL the right reasons..

Right on Brothers and Sisters...

PD

Bless you Paul...you'll have a brill time...we all will...I'm gonna have a look round the area as I've never ever been...always wanted to so this will be my chance...got the date diarised...nowt's gonna stop us being there with you all wink.gif

Social source share

I went with my mates from weybridge ,bruce ,barking mad mculloch and mick smith and clive from hitchin. great times so yes am up for it . I worked for Chris Burtons " international soul club" he wanted a venue down south and started soul nights at the watford top rank with various artists appearing on a sunday night! I remember the revolving stage ! and we had a deck either side of the stage so you had to walk about 20 feet between them made cueing up very interesting!

Social source share

Great idea this, well done Paul & Malc - been to plenty of these before, the best one at a packed Top Rank Hanley (that takes a bit of doing) all nighter in 1973 with Alan Day, Minsh & I think Mr Martyn Ellis.He was there (dont remember if he was on though).

We actually had been told the Torch was back on :) , so totally blocked :thumbup: , headed for Hose Street to find loads of other like minded individuals wandering about - to find it was at Hanley( Bast!!) :D .

But this promises to be the big daddy of em all.

The best Sounds ever, the characters, the good old fashioned English rolling in the bogs and the proper traditional Gear!!

(Just like the Torch)

Be seeing you

Social source share

I went with my mates from weybridge ,bruce ,barking mad mculloch and mick smith and clive from hitchin. great times so yes am up for it . I worked for Chris Burtons " international soul club" he wanted a venue down south and started soul nights at the watford top rank with various artists appearing on a sunday night! I remember the revolving stage ! and we had a deck either side of the stage so you had to walk about 20 feet between them made cueing up very interesting!

Have you still got those green leather boots Dave ? If so you could wear them as sort living shrine wink.gif

Social source share

Anyone the proud owner!! :)

The Torch Tunstall Stoke on Trent. Original wall lights

End price:

GBP

End date:

2007-03-23

Start price:

GBP

Start date:

2007-03-13

clearpixel.gifNumber of bids:

Auctioned at:

ebay

Great Britain

clearpixel.gifin-top3hdiv.gifclearpixel.gif260096642690.jpgPicture copyright held by photographer. If you are the photographer of this picture and would like it removed

Social source share

do ex Torchites have a unique bond?

This is gonna bore the tits of some however it was such a surreal moment that I thought I'd share it with you..

Jez Jones off this forum has been incredibly helpful with this Oct 2009 Torch reunion, Friday night we exchanged PM's with regard to meeting up with me and Malc at Morley Carr.

I don't know the guy, never met him before in my life so I was interested to see what this guy looked like and also to personally say 'thank you' etc

He told me he was coming up with FAT DAVE so I kept a look out for a FAT dave + 1, saw plenty :) but something not quite right, like Malc he was having problems getting there

Started me dj spot at 10-15 and at 10-30 looking around, as you do and noticed this bloke near the bar, swarve bastard, a right dresser like "look at me I'm 54 but can still cut the cloth" standing still he had an air of arrogance...I thought yep, thats Jez Jones...40mins later he tapped me on the shoulder with a " allright mate"

No pretence no shit, we went outside and within 30 mins he and I had bonded

Bloody strange...

Edited by PaulDonnelly
Social source share

This is gonna bore the tits of some however it was such a surreal moment that I thought I'd share it with you..

Jez Jones off this forum has been incredibly helpful with this Oct 2009 Torch reunion, Friday night we exchanged PM's with regard to meeting up with me and Malc at Morley Carr.

I don't know the guy, never met him before in my life so I was interested to see what this guy looked like and also to personally say 'thank you' etc

He told me he was coming up with FAT DAVE so I kept a look out for a FAT dave + 1, saw plenty :lol: but something not quite right, like Malc he was having problems getting there

Started me dj spot at 10-15 and at 10-30 looking around, as you do and noticed this bloke near the bar, swarve bastard, a right dresser like "look at me I'm 54 but can still cut the cloth" standing still he had an air of arrogance...I thought yep, thats Jez Jones...40mins later he tapped me on the shoulder with a " allright mate"

Bloody strange...

:ohmy: Oi tell 'em we went out side for a fag---sounds a bit dodgy how you've put it :D

gonna pm ya :thumbsup:

Social source share

Anyone the proud owner!! :ohmy:

The Torch Tunstall Stoke on Trent. Original wall lights

End price:

GBP

End date:

2007-03-23

Start price:

GBP

Start date:

2007-03-13

clearpixel.gifNumber of bids:

Auctioned at:

ebay

Great Britain

clearpixel.gifin-top3hdiv.gifclearpixel.gif260096642690.jpgPicture copyright held by photographer. If you are the photographer of this picture and would like it removed

Here's the sales blurb with the above :thumbsup:

The Torch All-Nighter, Tunstall, Stoke- on -Trent. Anyone remember it? I'll bet there's a fair few. My Dad told me years ago that The Torch was a picture house (cinema) locally known as The Bug hut, he even said that you came out scratching. Yeah O.K. Dad, when I came out of there, I came out sweating. Anyway, sorry to all you record collectors because these two little beauties are not records, but I didn't know what category to put them in, and if The Torch isn't in that category, then will someone please E-mail me with a better suggestion. Right , Ready? HERE, FOR TEN DAYS ONLY, ON E-BAY- ARE THE ORIGINAL GOLDEN TORCH TORCHES

Seriously now, they are the original torch shaped wall lights, that were mounted one each side of the pay desk in the foyer. Whether the Torch was named after the lights or the lights made for The Torch, who knows,( which came first, chicken or egg?) The rims around the bulbs are bare brass, but the rest I think is coated brass in the colour of dark grey come dark green.

When the Torch closed down, it was converted into a camping store. That's when a mate got his hands on these two. He was a regular at The Torch way before the All-Nighters. So was I, first time we tried to get in, three of us were turned away, think is was because one mate turned up in her school anorak- bless 'er. We got there in the end and had some great times. As it progressed into an All-Nighter, the place really became popular, it was exciting to talk to people from all over the country and the dancing and music was outstanding. Can remember the walls being wet through with condensation.

Please take a good look at these lamps, they must be knocking on 40 years old (wish I was) if not older. They are in great condition, need a bit of cleaning up. There are a few small chips on the rims of the shades, just wear and tear from when the light bulbs were being changed. Sorry to go on, the measurements of the lights are 38cm tall (15 inches in my world) 46cm with shade (18 inches) and weigh over 1 ¼ kilos (2lb 12oz) each without the shades.. All proceeds are going to a Torch veteran named Alan. Won't tell you his surname in case he owes you money. (Ha Ha) Thanks for looking and any questions are welcome.

Social source share

He told me he was coming up with FAT DAVE so I kept a look out for a FAT dave + 1, saw plenty :thumbsup: but something not quite right, like Malc he was having problems getting there

Bloody strange...

Before I go any further , I would also like to extend my sincerest thanks to Jez , for his sterling and commendable help with THE TORCH REUNION on OCTOBER 24TH .

Is there a bond between Old Torchites ? Definately .

A very old mate from those days rang me this morning , and when I told him about THE TORCH REUNION on OCTOBER 24TH , he stated nothing would stop him being there .........

Not seen for 37 years , here is a photograph of Mr Jones , Mr Donnelly and yours truly , taken in a Tunstall watering hole , prior to enjoying a session of splendid tunes in Hose Street ........

Malc Burton

THE TORCH REUNION - OCTOBER 24TH

TICKETS RESERVATIONS - pauldonnellybp@aol.com / burtonmalc@yahoo.co.uk

the_three_stooges_2.bmp

Social source share

Before I go any further , I would also like to extend my sincerest thanks to Jez , for his sterling and commendable help with THE TORCH REUNION on OCTOBER 24TH .

Is there a bond between Old Torchites ? Definately .

A very old mate from those days rang me this morning , and when I told him about THE TORCH REUNION on OCTOBER 24TH , he stated nothing would stop him being there .........

Not seen for 37 years , here is a photograph of Mr Jones , Mr Donnelly and yours truly , taken in a Tunstall watering hole , prior to enjoying a session of splendid tunes in Hose Street ........

Malc Burton

I'm far left as you look at the photo before anyone starts, I'll let you decide who the other two are :thumbsup:

Social source share

I'm far left as you look at the photo before anyone starts, I'll let you decide who the other two are :thumbsup:

I am the one with the hair , and JJ is the suave one in t'middle ..........

Malc Burton

Social source share

I think more swarthy than suave..... :thumbsup:

" Swarvey " than .........

I have been trying to bell you Jeremy , but all I get is " Mustang Sally " and your answerphone telling me your box is full ......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

" Swarvey " than .........

I have been trying to bell you Jeremy , but all I get is " Mustang Sally " and your answerphone telling me your box is full ......

Malc Burton

Note to self----must empty me box :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest bazrico

It will be interesting to see who will turn up to the Torch do with regard to the soulies who went there pre allnighter.

Friday nights Torch, Saturday allnighter The Wheel, Sunday morning/ afternoon Congleton park. Then back to the Torch for Sunday Night thats a good weekend, it will be great to see some old friends

I do have concerns about this therefore i would ask Malc/Paul to spare a thought regarding the horse /pony do you think it would be best for

blackbomber or was the name brownbomber be allowed to roam Tunstall park or Burslem park on the night.

Social source share

It will be interesting to see who will turn up to the Torch do with regard to the soulies who went there pre allnighter.

Friday nights Torch, Saturday allnighter The Wheel, Sunday morning/ afternoon Congleton park. Then back to the Torch for Sunday Night thats a good weekend, it will be great to see some old friends

I do have concerns about this therefore i would ask Malc/Paul to spare a thought regarding the horse /pony do you think it would be best for

blackbomber or was the name brownbomber be allowed to roam Tunstall park or Burslem park on the night.

spread the word then Barry, over 120 tickets been applied for mate..

torch_reunion_1543.jpg

Social source share

Our intention from the offset with this night , that it is a TORCH REUNION not a " revival " , as the emphasis is on a reunion , gathering of old friends together who shared those halcyon days , on SATURDAY , OCTOBER 24TH .

In respect of the horse , we will be making sure that Neighla Dodds " Come Back Baby " is played on the night in its' memory ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Blimey Barry have done plenty of that after allnighters :D . Correct me if I'm wrong mate--but I think we got a mutual friend here :shades:

If I say the name Johnny Dale does that ring any bells? If not I'm mistaking you for someone else mate :lol:

Edited by jez jones
Social source share

Guest bazrico

Blimey Barry have done plenty of that after allnighters :D . Correct me if I'm wrong mate--but I think we got a mutual friend here :shades:

If I say the name Johnny Dale does that ring any bells? If not I'm mistaking you for someone else mate :lol:

I will be seeing John at Prestatyn weekender in march i have known John since he got the train at congleton station to go the wheel.

Social source share

Guest bazrico

spread the word then Barry, over 120 tickets been applied for mate..

torch_reunion_1543.jpg

Give Mary Fox a call at Radio Stoke she used to go to the torch i think it was pre allnighter

Social source share

Guest bazrico

Our intention from the offset with this night , that it is a TORCH REUNION not a " revival " , as the emphasis is on a reunion , gathering of old friends together who shared those halcyon days , on SATURDAY , OCTOBER 24TH .

In respect of the horse , we will be making sure that Neighla Dodds " Come Back Baby " is played on the night in its' memory ........

Malc Burton

I assume you mean when the torch moved from rock/pop to Soul music

Social source share

Count me in boys...Messra Lalor & Cunliffe will be excellent company.....plus wife!

Regards

David Ferguson

ps Im sure Julian Bentley & Kegsy will be up for it too. I will have words.

Well thank you Dave most kind well worth a Sam Adams in Chicago, Julian has been threatened

with execution should he not turn up.............................. wink.gif

Chris L

Social source share

The Torch Reunion - Saturday 24th October

The venue is 400 yards from Hose Street in Tunstall .

The DJs are authentic Torch DJs .

The music will be 100% authentic Torch " stopping the horse next door from sleeping " tunes : all the well known sounds plus many more that have been forgotten .

Is the DJ line-up already fixed ??? unsure.gif

Social source share

laugh.gif this made me laugh

spoke to one of the Boro lot who went to the torch this morning, with a suggestion that we should have a day/night out with the boys.

He replied " if its one of you normal soul night, fook off"

I came back with a "no its a Torch Reunion in Tunstall some of the orig dj;s and loads of old faces"

he came back with " ok..10 tickets please"

ditty%20zimmer.jpg

Social source share

Should be a few exwheel/torchies at the weekender we all seem to sit there chewing the fat half the time miss whats going on

Yes will try and get John and a couple of the Congleton lads to come to Tunstall oct 2009. We can chew the fat and miss half of whats going on there as well :thumbsup::thumbup:

Edited by jez jones
Social source share

Hi Paul / Malc / jez

If neither of you are coming to the weekender at Prestatyn More than will to stick up some fliers around the place.

Normally there are plenty of ex torchies there.

If we can get them done , muchos grassy - arse for doing so , Barry ......

When is Prestitin ?

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest bazrico

If we can get them done , muchos grassy - arse for doing so , Barry ......

When is Prestitin ?

Malc Burton

Prestatyn Weekender 12/13/14 march 2009

Edited by bazrico
Social source share

We should have them done for then ; once agin , our thanks for your offer of help Barry :lol:

Malc Burton

hi malc have you pmd me? if not no worries emailed you my moby no cheers vince

Social source share

DJ's and Times for the

Punters "MY" Top Ten

2 to 2-30

2-30 to 3 Swish :lol: confirmed

3-to 3-30 wanker.gif Paul Donnelly confirmed

3-30 to 4 shout.gif Tony Dellar confirmed

4- 4-30 rolleyes.gif Ian Cunliffe confirmed

4-30 to 5 :lol: Chris Lalor confirmed

5 to 5-30 :lol: Nige Brown confirmed

5-30 to 6 :yes: Pat Wallace confirmed

6pm off for some scoff and ale or back to the hotel rooms etc then start all over again at

7-30 for the Main Event

if you have time check out the website and pay careful attention to the Hose St picture after 5 secs you may just see a Ghost appear...thanks Bro :lol:

https://dkof.freewebpages.org/Torch%20reunion/home.html

PD

Edited by PaulDonnelly
Social source share

DJ's and Times for the

Punters "MY" Top Ten

2 to 2-30 Vince tbc

2-30 to 3 Swish :lol: confirmed

3-to 3-30 wanker.gif Paul Donnelly confirmed

3-30 to 4 shout.gif Tony Dellar confirmed

4- 4-30 rolleyes.gif Ian Cunliffe confirmed

4-30 to 5 :lol: Chris Lalor confirmed

5 to 5-30 :lol: Nige Brown confirmed

5-30 to 6 :lol: Pat Wallace confirmed

6pm off for some scoff and ale or back to the hotel rooms etc then start all over again at

7-30 for the Main Event

if you have time check out the website and pay careful attention to the Hose St picture after 5 secs you may just see a Ghost appear...thanks Bro :yes:

https://dkof.freewebpages.org/Torch%20reunion/home.html

PD

Really looking forward to this one paul, glad you got hold of swish, great line up, spoke to nogger this morning can`t wait to see me old mucker :yes::lol:

Social source share

Really looking forward to this one paul, glad you got hold of swish, great line up, spoke to nogger this morning can`t wait to see me old mucker thumbup.gif:lol:

This is just the afternoon session mate, the big guns come out to play for the evening session, will you please email me with the amount of tickets you require mate....they are going very fast..

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!