" Quality, Quality, Quality " @ " The City " Peterborough

many thanks to the promoters/djs etc for a great night once again at the city club

(only downside for me was missing betty moorers speed up because i was next door at the bar getting a drink with the wife - that'll teach me :D )

cheers

mick

• Replies 16
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

i missed the betty moorer too!!

anyway would like to say a BIG thankyou for everyone that made the journey

last night, again another 70+ through the door thumbsup.gif

good to see a few local faces in smudge, dave forrest, andy, dave w, skip, mick & lucy and a few others

as always a fair few travelled for this evening from Norwich, St.ives, Huntingdon, Boston and off course

the Spalding posse who came to support the THE SUPERB STEVE JAY a top guy with real passion and belief

who delivered 90 mins of QUALITY across the board soul :lol: now looking forward to the 20th March!!

also to "YOUNG JAMIE PARR" who did himself and his family(who came to support him)proud with a excellent

spot of rocking RnB welldone young man!!

THESE YOUNGSTERS ARE OUR FUTURE, LOCAL PROMOTERS NEED TO GIVE THESE GUYS A CHANCE

as always Ray(top button)delivered his high standard of QUALITY underplayed, forgotten, classics,

which to some might not be there "cup of tea" , but this is what "The City" is about offering something

A LITTLE DIFFERENT to compliment the other local events. when we set out to do these nights which

isnt for any financial gain(£3 otd only) nor to pack in 200+, but to try and show that there are 1000s of

other QUALITY records that dont get played at local level, thats all we want to achieve, even if it means

getting 20 in wanting to hear, educate then we have achieved our goal NUFF SAID I THINK :D

yes there are some on here who dont rate local events but hey we dont do that bad!!

anyway to all that couldnt make last night because of the weather we will just charge you double

in March!!! lol

March guests; "The Legend" Kev Draper & Martin Stanford (local collector/dj who as supported every

event so far, thanks)

so looking forward to the next "The City" Quality all the way

russ

Edited by russoul1

a few of what i played over the evening;

ray scott - feeling no pain - decca issue

gladys tyler - a itty bitty girl - decca promo

buddy lamp - my tears - double l

mark loyd - when i gonna find her - uk parlophone

bobby simms - big mama - wmrc

leo price - hey now baby - up down

jimmy reed jnr - i aint going no where - mercury

robby fortson - are you for real - pzazz

george wydell - funny feeling - tangerine

tommy bush - i dont like it - rika

george wydell - from out of nowhere - tangerine w/demo

romance watson - where does that leave me - coral promo

timothy wilson - hey girl do you love me - veep w/demo

major lance - wait til i get you in my arms - okeh

spidells - pushed out of the picture - coral

e rodney jones - peace of mind - tuff

gerri taylor - empty arms and bitter tears - constellation

trends - gonna have to show you - abc

the new wanderers - this man in love - ready

bobbettes - its all over - rca issue

gerri hall - who you gonna run to - hot line

silky hargraves - keep loving me - dearbon issue

and a few more

russ

many thanks to the promoters/djs etc for a great night once again at the city club

cheers

mick

Thanks Mick for starting off this thread. :D

Many thanks to all those (70 in through the door) that ventured out on a very cold night after all the recent snow in and around Peterborough to come along to 'The City' last night. I just wonder how many the number would have reached if we had had a week of mild weather rather than the snow and ice!!?? :D

A great night was had by all - and a fair number (once again) that stayed right to the very last record - always enjoying Russ with his sign off speach!! :D Good to see a good number that had travelled in from Spalding. St Ives and Norwich - as well as seeing the locals - Mick & Lucy, Helen, Steph, Mick Dale, Smudge, Skip & Shirl etc.......

Jamie Parr kicked the night off in style with some storming R&B tracks (play list Jamie?). As Russ has said and I will say also these youngsters are the future of the Soul scene. Letting these guys (and girls) have a chance to do a spot is one of my goals in promoting these nights. Jamie will be back again later in the year for sure.

Steve Jay was in top form and Entertained us (with a capital 'E') with two 45min sets with Russ and I doing a spot each in between. I think splitting the DJ's allocated time to have an early and then a late spot works really well. Russ and I then finished the night off with our usual 'double decking' which for Russ and I works really well together plus usually time for some banter between us!! - was it Billy Butler or Major Lance on Okeh (Russ?)! :(

Once again many thanks to Jamie, Steve and Russ who with a great appreciateive crowd (a little help from me?) made it another TOP night. Thanks everyone.

Ray Mahoney

Many thanks Ray and Russ for letting me spin some tunes, I really enjoyed my set, started the night off nicely even if I do say so myself!

As for the rest of the night I really enjoyed it, great atmosphire through out.

anyway my playlist as requested, (not sure about the order, the beer was rather cheap)

Sonny Til - Hey Little Woman

McKinley Mitchell - No Love Like My Love

Jimmy Williams - The Half Man

Marva Josie - Now Is The Time

Otis Rush - Homework

Wee Willie Denson - Strange Things Are Happening

Ronnie Hawkins - Mary Lou

Sam & Dave - You Aint No Big Thing Baby

Mack Rice - Baby I'm Coming Home

Lee Rogers - Troubles

Rosco Gordon - You Got My Bait

Eugene Church - Jack Of All Trades

Vernon Garrett - Shine It On

Riff Ruffin - Peepin and Hidin

Albert Washington - Somewhere Down The Line

Darrow Fletcher - My Young Misery

Aretha Franklin - Tighten Up Your Tie, Button Up Your Jacket

Edited by mr_jp
Guest smudgesmith

My second visit to the City Club under its new guise,and once again it didn't disappoint,still the same laid back intimate atmosphere and most of all great tunes.Just sorry i missed the early spot by Jamie........another time perhaps.

One good thing about this venue is i can walk to it and this allows me to have a drink biggrin.gif

Steve Jay,ever the gent played his unwavering quality tunes in a way only he can.......magic.Both Ray and Russ gave the ever increasing numbers their own underplayed and quality music.

Russ has already posted his,what about you Ray,Steve............just to let those that were snow bound know exactly what they missed.

Till next time

Russ has already posted his,what about you Ray,Steve............just to let those that were snow bound know exactly what they missed.

Till next time

Cheers Smudge here is what I played from my opening the evening through to my late spot and double decking with Russ to finish off. In no particular order - just how they fininshed up (jumbled and mixed up in the back of my box)!!

VOLUMES - MY ROAD IS THE RIGHT ROAD - INFERNO

FABULOUS PEPS - LOVE OF MY LIFE - WHEELSVILLE

SYL JOHNSON - DRESSES TOO SHORT - TWINIGHT

TROY DODDS - TRY MY LOVE - EL CAMINO

RAY POLLARD - THIS TIME - SHRINE

CECIL WASHINGTON - I DON'T LIKE TO LOOSE - PROPHONICS

HOWARD TATE - BABY I LOVE YOU - VERVE

ZZ HILL - WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT - KENT

RUBY SHERRY - FEMINIE INGENUITY - TAKE 6

FABULOUS PEPS - MY LOVE LOOKS GOOD ON YOU - D TOWN

AGENTS - TROUBLE - LIBERTY BELL

EDWARD HAMILTON - IM GONNA LOVE YOU - MARY JANE

SEMINOLES - YOU CAN LUMP IT - MID TOWN

MIKE WATSON - I DIG YOUR KIND - COLUMBIA

RENEE PERRI - I AIM TO PLEASE - SOULVILLE

MAMIE LEE - I CAN FEEL HIM SLIPPING AWAY - MGM (requested)

CLYDIE KING - SOFT & GENTLE WAYS - IMPERIAL (requested)

TRENDS - NOT TOO OLD TO CTY - ABC PARAMOUNT

HAL FRAZIER - AFTER CLOSING TIME - REPRISE

GARNET MIMMS - TELL ME BABY - UA

RANDY TAYLOR - THEATRE OF BROKEN HEARTS - UPTOWN

GARLAND GREEN - GIRL I LOVE YOU - REVUE

DARROW FLETCHER - WHAT GOOD AM I WITHOUT YOU - JACKLYN

JACK MONTGOMERY - DEAR BELOVED - SCEPTER

PATTI AUSTIN - IVE GIVEN ALL MY LOVE - CORAL

ARTISTICS - THIS HEART OF MINE - OKEH

JIMMY BEAUMONT - YOU GOT TOO MUCH GOING - BANG

HB BARNUM - IT HURTS TOO MUCH TO CRY - RCA

CLYDE McPHATTER - LONELY PEOPLE CANT AFFORD TO CRY - AMY

MARIE KNIGHT - YOU LIE SO WELL - MUSICOR

METROS - SINCE I FOUND MY BABY - RCA

FREDDIE NORTH - THE HURT - RIK

SPENCER WIGGINS - LONELY MAN - GOLDWAX

SINCERES - GIRL I LOVE YOU - PZAZZ

HELEN SMITH - YOU GOT TO DO YOUR SHARE - DEEP CITY

TURLEY RICHARDS - I JUST CANT TAKE IT ANY LONGER - COLUMBIA

Edited by Raym

Cheers Smudge here is what I played from my opening the evening through to my late spot and double decking with Russ to finish off. In no particular order - just how they fininshed up (jumbled and mixed up in the back of my box)!!

GARLAND GREEN - GIRL I LOVE YOU - REVUE

the missus must've thought i swallowed a coat hanger when this was played, my grin was that big - great tune

Sorry to have been so long in replying in this thread ,and thanks to everyone for the kind comments :lol: .

It was an uncertain night what with the really bad weather and all, so didnt know what to expect got parked in a totally empty car park just before 9pm we walked up an empty frozen street to the club , not a soul in sight.

When we walked into the already full room , with people dancing to Jamies R&B selections I knew we were in for a good one!!

It was a nice opportunity for me to be able to include a few things I dont get to play often enough together with some of the more usual ITS sounds for all the ITS crowd that had come along !!

So I had a great time playing these and as I type this it does look a completely strange mix but seemed to work well on the night for the crowd that attended seemed to appreciate the variety :huh: .

first set.................................

BILLY ECKSTINE I WONDER WHY

CHUCK JACKSON WHATS WITH THIS LONELINESS

THE STOPPERS COME BACK BABY

LEROY TAYLOR OH LINDA

21ST CENTURY SHADOW OF A MEMORY

RHONDA DAVIS CAN YOU REMEMBER

CONTINENTAL SHOWSTOPPERS NOT TOO YOUNG

T&T SOMETHING ON MY MIND

CHARLES JOHNSON NEVER HAD A LOVE SO GOOD

DAYBREAK I NEED LOVE

MIND AND MATTER IM UNDER YOUR SPELL

BROWN SUGAR THE GAME IS OVER

JAMES WALSH GYSEY BAND CUZ ITS YOU GIRL

UNIQUE BLEND YES IM IN LOVE

SMOKE IM SO GLAD

SECOND SET..................................

TEMPTATIONS THE GIRLS ALRIGHT WITH ME

BARBARA MCNIER IT HAPPENS EVERYTIME

OJAYS ILL NEVER FORGER YOU

RHETTA HUGHES I CRY MYSELF TO SLEEP

SKIP JACKSON IM ONTO YOU GIRL

PATTI AUSTIN IVE GIVEN ALL MY LOVE

VIRGIL HENRY YOU AINT SAYIN NOTHIN NEW

NATURAL FOUR I THOUGHT YOU WERE MINE (ORIGINAL SLOWER BOOLA BOOLA VERSION)

LUTHER DONT WANNA BE A FOOL

JACKSON SISTERS I BELIEVE IN MIRACLES

LAMONT DOZIER IF YOU DONT WANT TO BE IN MY LIFE

DAVID RUFFIN QUESTIONS

BOBBY PRUITT WE ARE ONE

JOI CARDWELL LET IT GO

PHYLIS HYMAN YOU KNOW HOW TO LOVE ME

TEARRA JUST LOVING YOU

JOHNNY MAE MATHEWS I HAVE BO CHOICE

ESTHER PHILLIPS JUST SAY GOODBYE

Thanks to Ray and Russ for asking me along and to those in attendance for their requests and the constantly busy dancefloor, looking forward to my return to the Boro in 3 weeks time at the Fleet, and very much so to the mystery night on MARCH 20th Russ :D:lol::lol:

Steve

Coat hanger ...... so thats why my jacket ended up on the floor!! :huh:

re: "Speed up" - i shall bring my Impallas version next time Mick :lol:

:no::lamsey::lamsey: yes but that begs the question WHO PLAYED BETTY MOORER???????????????

wasnt me,wasnt you,wasnt jamie,not on steves playlist, the mystery thinkens

cant remember hearing it

:lol::lol::D

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Catfish

Sorry to miss this night- had enough on my plate getting to orchestra practice that evening which is on till 10pm- so can only come to these nights properly in the school holidays! Looks like some great music was played- sorry to miss.

I know Ive posted this comment well late- seems weird- there's a reason I was looking at the thread so long after.

Will try to turn up to next one at 11.00 or whatever if I can muster the energy that time of night!

M