Rugby

Hi all, just wanna say what a great night I had last night. Was pleasantly surprised by the numbers in through the door. Lovely buzz about the place all night.The DJ,s (cant single anyone out, cos they all delivered) kept me on the dance floor so much my feet are throbbing today. Then there was the food, three gorgeous pies from lovely Di, three boxes of krispy kremes from lovely Theresa and sweeties galore from lovely Del. Cheers ladies, the table on the way in looked like a buffet!! :thumbup: Great to see everyone in such fine form, smiling faces everywhere I looked. And wow, there were some cracking tunes played, cant wait to see the playlists. Thanks to all for making it such a memorable night. Long may it continue. thumbup.gif:rolleyes::thumbsup:

• Replies 85
  • Views 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Andy Kempster

Hi all, just wanna say what a great night I had last night. Was pleasantly surprised by the numbers in through the door. Lovely buzz about the place all night.The DJ,s (cant single anyone out, cos they all delivered) kept me on the dance floor so much my feet are throbbing today. Then there was the food, three gorgeous pies from lovely Di, three boxes of krispy kremes from lovely Theresa and sweeties galore from lovely Del. Cheers ladies, the table on the way in looked like a buffet!! :thumbup: Great to see everyone in such fine form, smiling faces everywhere I looked. And wow, there were some cracking tunes played, cant wait to see the playlists. Thanks to all for making it such a memorable night. Long may it continue. thumbup.gif:rolleyes::thumbsup:

for me karl heard and steve csordas were the men of the moment, heard 2 sets each from both of the guys and no disappointments...i bloody love rugby!!! (and i dont mean the game for toffs)

Fantastic night again at Rugby. The music was just brillant. A busy dance floor all night, lots of travellers. Nice to see Beeks from Manchester, Steve and Patto from York. A really good crowd and a really good buzz all night and into the early hours of the morning. I was quite surprised how many people got there especially how bad the weather conditions were. Just shows you how good this venue is. I did a spot in the Freestyle Room with Tabs, really enjoyed it. Here's my half of the set in no particular order.

Carl Henry Hall - Summertime - Mercury

The Montclairs - Unwanted Love - Paula Records

The Styles - Baby You're Alive - Modern

Sidney Barnes - Talkin' 'Bout A Shindig - Blues Tone Records

Kent Meade - Funky To Me - Magic Carpet

Roosevelt Grier - Lover Set Me Free - Battle

Scott Bros Orch - They All Came Back - Toddlin Town

Joe King - Speak On Up - Prix Records

Irma and The Larks - Without You Baby - Fairmount

Magic Night - If You and I Had Never Met - Pye Records

Jesse Johnson - Funky Soul Stroll - Oak Records

Bobby Bloom - We're All Goin' Home - MGM

Can't wait for the next one. Keep safe, keep dancing. (The meat and potatoe pie was superb) yes.gif

Charlie Mc

Banbury Soul Club

(next Banbury Soul Club 4th April 8.00 pm - 2.00 am at our new venue Le Royale, Market Place, Banbury)

Just walked through the door, what can i say apart from many thanks to the crowd at rugby for making us feel so welcome, a brilliant night, top class music, with top class people, it was well worth the journey & deffo coming back, thanks everyone :shades::):thumbup:

Was really lovely meeting up with you and Di at last...bit gutted that i didnt get to sample your gorgeous pies...tho judging by how quickly they went ...i should say that it was a huge success along with Theresa's Krispy Kreme doughnuts of which should be noted that i didnt bow to temptation at all ....tho it was hard whistling.gif ...great to meet up with all the usual suspects and even better to see that despite the weather...the turnout was excellent.....roll on the next one...hopefully with better weather.....Delxxxxxx

Well, what can I say, with a mad week weather wise and the last of a era with Winsford, it could have gone so many ways.

I'd decided if there were 10 in, or a full house, we were gunna celebrate our 6th anniversary in style.

Considering we opened at 8pm, they were coming in from 7pm (some arriving at ours at 2pm)... :shades:

I did think, maybe they were getting in early to save travelling on slippy roads later but they didn't stop coming, I think the last one in was about 4am.

I always enjoy Rugby, there would be no point in the hard work if I didn't but last nite just blew me away.

Big thanks to Triple A Ken and Liane for managing the door because I was free to party.

I did get in the freestyle room more than normal and I just love that room.

Thanks to all the travellers from far and wide, we could never have such fun without you... thumbup.gif

Well I got there eventually...but I tell you what...negotiating that gondola down Manchester Ship Canal was not an easy task :thumbup:

Great night...warm welcome as usual...was very surprised by the numbers...was excellent considering Winsford was on same night so top marks to Sian for her obviously impressive promotional skills thumbsup.gif

Was great to meet a few more SSers off here...special mention goes to Harry and Di...tried some of your meat pie and it was yummy!! also met a few of my facebook soulie friends...Mark Sargeant can talk the hind legs off a donkey...and probably did last night hahaha

Special thanks to Karl Heard for playing me a request...appreciated it :shades:

Special mention to Matty S looking sharp in his birthday suit (thats him in a suit on his birthday....not him naked haha)

Special guest and Rugby virgin...the Swedish Paddy Olaf...what a lovely guy...was lovely to meet him and his girlfriend

And a great big shout to Mr Cato...who I thought played a cracking set...Rugby Virgin too...he popped his cherry with style and was last seen being carried into the toilets by the Soul Source ladies (I actually made that last bit up but it sounds great in theory so don't worry Lyd!) :)

Nice to see all the familiar faces...the fact there was a good turnout denotes you will always see someone you know even if you turned up on your own which is a sign of a fantastic community...not many soul nights can be so close knit yet so welcoming to everyone who walks through the doors but Rugby pulls it off time and time again...Like Phil Shields said to me when I first walked in...for the sheer friendliness of the Rugby crowd...it just cannot be beat

Looking forward to the next one already

See you all soon

Beeks x

Edited by Beeks

Brill night..........yet again..........fantastic turn out, easily the most ever!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Got to dance quite a bit..............thanks Sian, lovely birthday pressie :wicked::lol::D:shades:

And to follow, a Welsh win at Murry Field................what a fantastic end to my Birthday Week xx :wicked:

Guest Mrs Simsy

Wow what a night! :no:

Was concerned that the numbers might be down due to clashes with other do's & the apalling weather but my fears were blown away when we got there at around 10pm to a full house!

Atmosphere was electric, everybody walking round, dancing or talking (or eating Di's pies, Theresa's Krispy Kremes or Dels sweets! :lol: ) with big smiles on their faces!

Lovely to see so many familiar faces & great to see some Rugby virgins- Steve & Lyd Cato & Stevie T & Jane! :huh: Pleasure to meet Paul Sadot as well-sorry for gabbling at you! :D

Thought all the DJs were outstanding! Had a right good dance last night! :lol:

So glad that Rugby just seems to go from strength to strength-last night being one of the best that i've attended! Big big thanks to Sian, Dean & Denise for all their hard work & special mentions to Triple A Kenny & Liane for their marvellous door work! :lamsey:

All thats left to say really is roll on April! :lamsey: Oh...and some pictures are being posted shortly! :lol: x

for me karl heard and steve csordas were the men of the moment, heard 2 sets each from both of the guys and no disappointments...i bloody love rugby!!! (and i dont mean the game for toffs)

Hey Andy glad you had a gudden mucka! Wanted to attend so much mate but torn between 2 venues? Had to be dutiful to windsford !

Would of luved to hear these 2 guys again.Brill taste in tunes for me! Well done U2 :lol:

see ya soon Andy

Mike Cog

Ps You kno Karl knows fuckall about northern :lol::lol:

Wow what a night! :no:

Was concerned that the numbers might be down due to clashes with other do's & the apalling weather but my fears were blown away when we got there at around 10pm to a full house!

Atmosphere was electric, everybody walking round, dancing or talking (or eating Di's pies, Theresa's Krispy Kremes or Dels sweets! :lol: ) with big smiles on their faces!

Lovely to see so many familiar faces & great to see some Rugby virgins- Steve & Lyd Cato & Stevie T & Jane! :huh: Pleasure to meet Paul Sadot as well-sorry for gabbling at you! :D

Thought all the DJs were outstanding! Had a right good dance last night! :lol:

So glad that Rugby just seems to go from strength to strength-last night being one of the best that i've attended! Big big thanks to Sian, Dean & Denise for all their hard work & special mentions to Triple A Kenny & Liane for their marvellous door work! :lamsey:

All thats left to say really is roll on April! :lamsey: Oh...and some pictures are being posted shortly! :lol: x

Glad you had a good one guys. I'll defo have to get to Rugby one fine day. 

Thanks to all at Rugby for a nice welcome and the chance to play a few bits in the freestyle room, good size/seating and dancefloor.. A few sound problems later on but thats rock n roll aint it...

Can't remember a better welcome at anyplace for a long time, that vibe does seem to stretch throughout the whole building.. Always nice to spend time with the Irish crowd, Graeme/Helen and many more... Nice to meet a few new soul source members too... Caught quite a lot of Anton and Steve C in the freestyle room, some very nice uptempo tunes that were new to my ears amongst a quality set.. Had a nice chat with the Banbury soul club lads and a good few more who gave the back room some great support....

Karl Heards second spot in the main room was the highlight of the night for me and Paul.. And then he plays Johnny Mcall, it just don't get better in my book...

Gonna put Rugby all-niter in the diary for all future dates this year and will be back very soon..

Met a really nice guy from Shropshire in the small room, can't remember his name sorry??? hope to see you again mate soon..

Thanks also to the Mansfield boys for popping in to give some support... Steve T and Jane for many laughs as ever and too many more to mention...

All the best

Steve x

Well, what can I say, with a mad week weather wise and the last of a era with Winsford, it could have gone so many ways.

I'd decided if there were 10 in, or a full house, we were gunna celebrate our 6th anniversary in style.

Considering we opened at 8pm, they were coming in from 7pm (some arriving at ours at 2pm)... :yes:

I did think, maybe they were getting in early to save travelling on slippy roads later but they didn't stop coming, I think the last one in was about 4am.

I always enjoy Rugby, there would be no point in the hard work if I didn't but last nite just blew me away.

Big thanks to Triple A Ken and Liane for managing the door because I was free to party.

I did get in the freestyle room more than normal and I just love that room.

Thanks to all the travellers from far and wide, we could never have such fun without you... :thumbsup:

Thanks Sian,nice seeing some new faces including mine them do-nuts nuts brought me out in ives looked like mr Blobby :P either that or way way too Manchester marchin' salts fukc i'm payin' for now kiddie's :yes: last time i suffered like this was in the 7ts,tell Dean that record he gave me is pretty cool so good posted it up soon as i got in :lol: i did write a few lines soon after Ganches top topic starter,tried to do something and lost me post,i think Paus-S rolled in last and he was smilin' :lol: still took a tenner of him,Stevie C your a lad top form you ice cream you !.

Just woke up,after finaly fallin' off at about six this mornin so you might have to rearange me post so it make sense.

Sian so as you know found your

gallery_1986_2576_566.jpg

Catch you all later if you ain't had a mention tough !!

Bestest "keeper of the doors" Ken

Edited by ken

It was a great anniversary night at Rugby. It's the party atmos that makes it so special. Not only the massive dancefloor with ample seating either side, but the bar/record bar area, the freestyle room and the foyer area means there's always something going on. Music was top notch all night and the set of the night for me was Mr Phil Shields! Outstanding sir.. :thumbsup:

Big thanks to Sian & Dean, the ladies for the snacks & sweets and as always good to see all those familiar smiley soulie faces! :lol:

A text from Sian this morning tells us ..... it's only 61 sleeps to the next rugby nighter! :yes:

It was a great anniversary night at Rugby. It's the party atmos that makes it so special. Not only the massive dancefloor with ample seating either side, but the bar/record bar area, the freestyle room and the foyer area means there's always something going on. Music was top notch all night and the set of the night for me was Mr Phil Shields! Outstanding sir.. :thumbsup:

Big thanks to Sian & Dean, the ladies for the snacks & sweets and as always good to see all those familiar smiley soulie faces! :yes:

A text from Sian this morning tells us ..... it's only 61 sleeps to the next rugby nighter! :yes:

That'll be about 40 sleeps for me :lol:

Graham and i had a great night at Rugby, a venue which always has such a nice warm vibe. Fab to catch up with so many people we havent seen for a while; steve and lydia, stevie T, Tabs, Kylie and all the rest :yes:

i have to say that the music coming out of the Freestyle room was (as always) refreshingly wonderful.

it's this room, with it's quality music and eclectic mix of DJs that really makes Rugby that little bit special :thumbsup:

until we meet again........!

Wow,what a night!

Rugby excelled on Saturday. Really great turnout and well deserved for all Sian & Dean's efforts! Not a friendlier nighter in the land (imho) and (as many before said) musically, the freestyle room never disappoints...always something refreshing to hear in there (thanks to Karl and Steve C who made my ears prick up on more than one occasion in there) I thought Matt Smart played a blinder in the main room too :thumbsup:

Great to see lots of familiar faces, Cat, Leanne,Matty,Marcus and Steve,Becks,Lyd & Steve, Molly and Lorraine (still K-I-S-S-I-N-G in a tree!) after whats been a while, and to see Mark (Mormar44) again (after almost a year since Bamberg last year!!) Mick H and Mandy...(Mick have you lost weight? Looking gooooood!) and all the boys from up the Attic (not MY attic,you know where I mean!)

Lovely also to meet a few peeps for the first time ...Di and Harry (Di the pies were legendary!) Suzie T and Steve, Amy (Kylee's sis) and Mark (motormouth!)

61 sleeps til the next one....off to get some zzzz's in now!

See you all again at the next dance! X

Edited by Delasoul

Well what a superb anniversary night.

I can't add anything further to the plaudits already given.

Brilliant venue, people and of course the music.

A real pleasure to meet Harry and Di. ( great pies ) :yes:

Hope to see you both soon.

Great to catch up with Helen and her fianc Graham.

Hope the business venture is a huge success. :thumbsup:

My small contribution to the party in the freestyle room, in no order whatsoever.

Stop You're breaking my heart - The Dream Merchants - Renee

Hush - Jimmy Bailey - Columbia

Manifesto - Case of Tyme - Legend.

Its all over me -Otis Blackwell - Epic

I love you baby - The Ambers - Verve

I've got to face it - The Heartbreakers - Derby City

I can't make it anymore - Spyder Turner - MGM

Ain't that terrible - Roy Redmond -Loma

Sweetness - Joe Wilson - Dynamo

See you all out and about.

Best

Tabs

Hi everyone :lol: god where do i start ? We had a fab journey down , clear roads all the way with the lovely Carole (thanks babe) got there spot on openeing time , and within the first 10 minutes i'd met so many lovely people the lady of the Evening Sian THANKYOU , all the gorgeous Sslaas ladies you are all as beautiful as i knew you would be Del , Denise , Theresa , Kylee , Cat and there other halfs of course :P The lovely cute Tabs and god so many people to mention Ken, Moggy , Beeks , Gail , Lou , Margie &Dave , Simsy , Del-boy , Rachel , Mark , Colin , Phil & Jo , Kev , Dave.A , little Stevie i could go on & on (infact i think i have :lol: ) and our special friends Shaz , Steve , Patto , Steve & Donna made the night special too :P

It was an awesome night with fantastic music from all dj's , even Harry was dancing :yes: Theresa's doughnuts looked divine even though i didnt sample one , Me & Tabs had the grand pie opening ceremony :yes: glad everyone enjoyed them :thumbsup: the atmosphere was fantastic with the friendliest people , i cant really say much more except another great big thankyou , we will be back that you can be sure of luv ya all lots Di xx Thanks to Rob & Linda for having us afterwoods xx

What can i say that hasn't been said already. First time for us at Rugby and i was simply blown away by the atmosphere, the venue itself, the friendly and welcoming crowd and of course the music. I don't like to really single out dj's but Karl Heard's set for me was just inspiring and really enjoyed both of Steve Cato's sets in the Freestyle room (an education in underplayed goodies). We will definately be back in the near future. Phil Shields (who has been singing this venue's praises to me for years and trying to persuade me to go) you were right, Rugby simply is the dogs dangly bits. thumbup.gif

Great to see a good turnout given the crap weather. My first time playing at Rugby and have to say thoroughly enjoyable!

Great to catch up with so many friends and always good to talk to fellow Soul Sourcers. Beeks, nice meeting you and glad you enjoyed that bit of RnB. Lou, great to catch up with you and Woody. Thanks for your support in the freestyle room, that goes for all the guys n girls that came in and had a look. You can imagine what I thought when I realised I was doing the exact same time as Karl in the main room! To be honest I would have loved to have heard his 2nd set but that's life.

Great mix of tunes from everyone. Spent most of the night on the dance floor. Oh, and the burger van outside, top grub!

Looking forward to another visit, cheers, Steve.

Thanks for an abs brill night. and lovely weekend with top class people and music really really loved it. thumbup.gif stayed around mainfloor almost all night. atmosphere abs brill. and floor as well rolleyes.gif thanks to Sian & Dean for all Im glad you got home fine in the snowy wheather later on . will def be back to this :thumbsup:

Top night again at Rugby.Attendance good as well.Nice to catch up with a few people,Steve and Lydia,Mick H,Karl and Kate,Toby etc....

Tune of the night for me?.."Aware of love" - Jerry Butler(i must be getting old :thumbsup: ), spun by Mr.Cato in the side room.

Plenty of the good stuff played in the main room as well.

Apologies to Mrs Soul (Lou) :D .I was suffering from all nighter excitement mi duck :unsure: ...Kev.

Top night again at Rugby.Attendance good as well.Nice to catch up with a few people,Steve and Lydia,Mick H,Karl and Kate,Toby etc....

Tune of the night for me?.."Aware of love" - Jerry Butler(i must be getting old :unsure: ), spun by Mr.Cato in the side room.

Apologies to Mrs Soul (Lou) sad.gif .I was suffering from all nighter excitement mi duck :D ...Kev.

It was great that you boys made it up after your own venue, not always an easy thing to do and the weather was kind to you... :thumbsup:

Guest BigPaul

Tune of the night for me?.."Aware of love" - Jerry Butler(i must be getting old :unsure: ), spun by Mr.Cato in the side room.

Apologies to Mrs Soul (Lou) :D .I was suffering from all nighter excitement mi duck wink.gif ...Kev.

Were you really :D:thumbsup::D

X good to see you and Gail ( hope Im right here and not get send to (G)Jail. :unsure: ..) too Beeks :thumbsup: c u around soon I hope Olof & Jo

Spot on Olof...and sorry for calling you Olaf...my Swedish spelling is not what it used to be wink.gif

And nice to meet you too Steve...you played some great records early doors and set up nicely what was to be a great night in the Freestyle room for all involved :D

Guest Andy Kempster

Hey Andy glad you had a gudden mucka! Wanted to attend so much mate but torn between 2 venues? Had to be dutiful to windsford !

Would of luved to hear these 2 guys again.Brill taste in tunes for me! Well done U2 :thumbsup:

see ya soon Andy

Mike Cog

Ps You kno Karl knows fuckall about northern tongue.gif:D

but he does play uptempo and likes a dance, thats good enough for me mate :unsure:

see you soon

Well what a superb anniversary night.

I can't add anything further to the plaudits already given.

Brilliant venue, people and of course the music.

A real pleasure to meet Harry and Di. ( great pies ) :unsure:

Hope to see you both soon.

Great to catch up with Helen and her fianc Graham.

Hope the business venture is a huge success. :thumbsup:

My small contribution to the party in the freestyle room, in no order whatsoever.

I LOVE YOU BABY - THE AMBERS - VERVE

Best

Tabs

Dont believe you played The Ambers Tabs , i love it and asked for it but Dave didnt have it :D welldone xxxx

Short & Sweet lookback from me this time.

Well Rugby NEVER fails to please,a nice time was had by all imo.

Sweets,Krispy Kremes,Pie fair priced beer,great tunes played out,fantastic people......thanks Rugby.

got to Rugby earlyish,supposed to meet Mr Rimmer in the pub,gets a phone call are you in the pub yet? yes i say ,well im not im in the BennHall.......anything to get out of buying a beer thats our Dave :thumbsup: .

A bit strange this one, my ex Mandy called me to say i want to go to Rugby how will you react if i show up with her new partner, Just come anyway ill not lose it or anything to spoil other peoples enjoyment,its not fair on them is it...........well i didnt......kept cool,but loads of other people coming up to me and saying Mandy is here........i know says me ill live with it.Im not that sort of bloke to spoil it for others now am i,i was happy for her.

Loads of great people in the venue too many to mention,but one i have loads and loads of time for is Big Paul,a great lad he is and very clued up on all things soulfull........good lad he is.

Also Steve Cato very nice tunes played,belated birthday greetings mate.

Karl Heards tunes were great as with Steve Csordas,i even had a little dance now thats a rare sight indeed :unsure: .

Keep it going girls its a fantastic nighter to be a part of and a very well done to all involved,

I will be at the next one thats for sure.

Thanks Rugby i loved it.

Toby.

Edited by toby

well as I have stated be for, you wont find a more friendlier venue than rugby, I really enjoyed me self, got a bit of the old vino down me neck, and danced on and off all nite :thumbsup: I did spend a lot of time sat in the freestyle, and caught Woody, Steve, and Steve c,Tabs and Charlie , and I loved wot you played boys, thank you, it was great to meet Harry and Di, what a lovely couple, and the pie was nice too,have to say, I think this niter was one of the best musically for me, and also a chance to catch up with lots of peeps who I have not seen for a while, keep up the hard work, and it is hard you know these days, but its always very worth while, when you send everybody home, happy and contented, look forward to the next one, and we will always be there to support you,ttfn. thumbup.gif

Hammered it up late.........got in about 1.30ish.........wondered all the way up whether I should be going......snook out :thumbsup:laugh.gif .......bloody hell, what a great night, lovely to see Chris & Marcelle, Karl & Kate, Molly & Lorraine, Theresa & especially Justin (sorry didnt speak much other than hi) Steve C, Steve Cato, Mr & Mrs H, Dave Abbott phewwwwwwwwwww loads of others too..........enjoyed the whole night, but Karl Heard & Steve Cato were hoofin', Steve C was on form, caught his second set & wasnt disappointed............shit journey home alone........had them borrowers burrowing out of my teeth (quote from Steve C :thumbsup: ) & other gremlins, note to self 'Take More Medicine'........thanks to all for a cracking night.

Russ

Hammered it up late.........got in about 1.30ish.........wondered all the way up whether I should be going......snook out ph34r.gif:thumbsup: .......bloody hell, what a great night, lovely to see Chris & Marcelle, Karl & Kate, Molly & Lorraine, Theresa & especially Justin (sorry didnt speak much other than hi) Steve C, Steve Cato, Mr & Mrs H, Dave Abbott phewwwwwwwwwww loads of others too..........enjoyed the whole night, but Karl Heard & Steve Cato were hoofin', Steve C was on form, caught his second set & wasnt disappointed............shit journey home alone........had them borrowers burrowing out of my teeth (quote from Steve C :thumbup: ) & other gremlins, note to self 'Take More Medicine'........thanks to all for a cracking night.

Russ

You came in all flustered Russ... Glad we could calm you down :thumbsup: .... See you around mate..

[quote name='Tabs' date='Feb 9 09,

I love you baby - The Ambers - Verve

Best

Tabs

Fantastic night again at Rugby. The music was just brillant. A busy dance floor all night, lots of travellers. Nice to see Beeks from Manchester, Steve and Patto from York. A really good crowd and a really good buzz all night and into the early hours of the morning. I was quite surprised how many people got there especially how bad the weather conditions were. Just shows you how good this venue is. I did a spot in the Freestyle Room with Tabs, really enjoyed it. Here's my half of the set in no particular order.

Carl Henry Hall - Summertime - Mercury

The Montclairs - Unwanted Love - Paula Records

The Styles - Baby You're Alive - Modern

Sidney Barnes - Talkin' 'Bout A Shindig - Blues Tone Records

Kent Meade - Funky To Me - Magic Carpet

Roosevelt Grier - Lover Set Me Free - Battle

Scott Bros Orch - They All Came Back - Toddlin Town

Joe King - Speak On Up - Prix Records

Irma and The Larks - Without You Baby - Fairmount

Magic Night - If You and I Had Never Met - Pye Records

Jesse Johnson - Funky Soul Stroll - Oak Records

Bobby Bloom - We're All Goin' Home - MGM

Can't wait for the next one. Keep safe, keep dancing. (The meat and potatoe pie was superb) :thumbsup:

Charlie Mc

Banbury Soul Club

(next Banbury Soul Club 4th April 8.00 pm - 2.00 am at our new venue Le Royale, Market Place, Banbury)

Nice interesting playlist Charlie , Tabs and yourself did Banbury proud !!Don't know the Bobby Bloom .Cheers ,Eddie

Hi all; Becket here..............................

Well, with me leg in plaster decided to sit it out in the Free-Style room. Just let Tabs & Charlie feed me drink and pie !

Wasn't disappointed with the calibre of music played either. All the sets were different from each other, which is the perfect reflection of this room. DJ's free to play what they like.

Steve Cato played a few things I didn't know but liked, from memory - Fabulous Traits - Love is strange (Tele-fonic)

I can't make it anymore - possibly Richie Havens ?? (Verve Forecast) and some others I have never heard played out Bil Withers - Harlem, Jerry Butler - Aware of love, Black Eyed Peas - Smallest man alive.

Banbury boys, Charlie & Tabs, did our Soul Club proud with their sets.

Looking forward to seeing the Rugby Crew et all at our next Banbury "do" in April.

Cheers.....................

Tom

This event just gets better and better. A great 6th birthday bash (only substitute the jelly & ice cream for pies and doughnuts) which was excellent musically and full of a participating crowd who were responsive to the sounds.

I must say I was let down by the SSLAAS and their lack of promised clapping - should have known better than to believe them really :thumbsup:wink.gif

Joking aside stand out spots for me were Phil's in the main room and Antons in the freestyle room (had the f/style room heaving). For me the spot of the night was Karls in the main room. Superb stuff which was spun with a smile and passion and reflected what he called "my real spot" in contrast to his 10-11 spot in which he mixed some quality standards in with the semi-known rarities. So good to see him well and enjoying himself again.

Tune of the night was Woody's Tymes mispress spin "I won't cry anymore" that he spun in the freestyle room. Not the normal uptempo stormer i'm usually attracted to but a wonderful midtempoish piece of soul. Thanks Woody.

Staying with the freestyle room topic.....I know that the majority of folk want to stay in the main hall where the atmosphere and dance space is but the freestyle room on Saturday was bursting with DJ's playing quality semi/known toons which was rewarded with continuous praise and even little glances (Dr Pickles) over the decks such is the proximity of the DJ to the crowd. This room was filled with passion and enthusiasm and my only gripe is that no matter where you are you're inevitably gonna miss something good being played in the other room.

Nice to see the Notts crowd in force and in VERY high spirits due to Ians birthday party prior to the niter. Many thanks to Russ for making the trip up - just can't keep the man away!! Also Rachel, The North East posse, Steve Cato, Lyd, Olof, Shirley, Colin, Debbie, John, Neil, Andy K, Phil, Jo, Bev, Robbie Toby, Del (who doesn't give blokes sweet tobacco :thumbsup: ) and many new faces that I actually got to chat with for a change. A special thank you to Rob & Linda for hosting the coffee club afterwards.

Finally many thanks for the kind words about my plays. I've done 4 spots at this venue now and I've always been relaxed and contented with what I've played. I can only guess that this is due to the open mindedness of most that attend and the overall comfortable atmosphere.

Well done girls - a wonderful event....just get the clapping going next one....as promised!!!

Playlist

MAIN ROOM 9-10

Cissy Houston - I just don't know what to do with myself

P J Smith & Co. - Hold on to it

James Wells - Baby I'm still the same man

Carolyn Franklin - Reality

Jackie Paine - No puppy love

Sam Baker - I can't turn her loose

Bob Smith & the Bou Kou's - What do it mean

Lorraine Chandler - I can't hold on

Ronnie Dyson - Fever

Kelly Brothers - Crying days are over

James Carr - A losing game

Guitar Slim - Thats what it's all about

Little Bobby Parker - I won't believe it till I see it

Ravenettes - Since you been gone

Autographs - I can do it

Viola Wills - I got love

Marjorie Black - One more hurt

The Dreams Band - Charge

Hytones - Good news

El Anthony - We've been in love too long

Bunny Sigler - For cryin' out loud

Pat Lundy - The thrill is gone

FREESTYLE ROOM 2-3

Marvin L Sims - Get off my back

Jean Stanback - If I ever needed love

D'Italians - I gotta go

Billy Preston - The night

Jive Five - You're a puzzle

Johnny & Jake - I need your help baby

JayWalkers - I got my own thing going

Blockbusters - Muddy part 2

Intruders - (You'd better) Check yourself

Harvey Scales - Too good to be true

Roscoe Robinson - What makes a man do wrong

Ray Agee - Real real love

Roscoe Robinson - What you're doing to me

Lou Courtney - You can give your love to me

Third Guitar - Lovin' lies

Candi Staton - I know

Art Benton - Sweet loving

Larry Williams & Johnny Watson - Find yourself someone to love

Summits - Sophisticated lady (breakdown and love me)

Samuel Moore - I'm so jealous

Lori Burton - There is no way

Little Ann - Lean linky daddy

Mike Hunt - Urgent entry c/u

Doni Burdick - Watcha gonna do

Vibrations - One mint julep

Edited by SteveC

Del (who doesn't give blokes sweet tobacco :D )

Steve..so sorry about that...will really have to make yours a big bag next time.....that's what happens when i send a man to do a woman's job :thumbsup: ... :D Delxxxxx

You are, of course, forgiven my dear. I have actually found out where I can acquire the sweet baccy from so who knows....next time I may get some for you wink.gif:D

This event just gets better and better. A great 6th birthday bash (only substitute the jelly & ice cream for pies and doughnuts) which was excellent musically and full of a participating crowd who were responsive to the sounds.

I must say I was let down by the SSLAAS and their lack of promised clapping - should have known better than to believe them really :D:D

Joking aside stand out spots for me were Phil's in the main room and Antons in the freestyle room (had the f/style room heaving). For me the spot of the night was Karls in the main room. Superb stuff which was spun with a smile and passion and reflected what he called "my real spot" in contrast to his 10-11 spot in which he mixed some quality standards in with the semi-known rarities. So good to see him well and enjoying himself again.

Tune of the night was Woody's Tymes mispress spin "I won't cry anymore" that he spun in the freestyle room. Not the normal uptempo stormer i'm usually attracted to but a wonderful midtempoish piece of soul. Thanks Woody.

Staying with the freestyle room topic.....I know that the majority of folk want to stay in the main hall where the atmosphere and dance space is but the freestyle room on Saturday was bursting with DJ's playing quality semi/known toons which was rewarded with continuous praise and even little glances (Dr Pickles) over the decks such is the proximity of the DJ to the crowd. This room was filled with passion and enthusiasm and my only gripe is that no matter where you are you're inevitably gonna miss something good being played in the other room.

Nice to see the Notts crowd in force and in VERY high spirits due to Ians birthday party prior to the niter. Many thanks to Russ for making the trip up - just can't keep the man away!! Also Rachel, The North East posse, Steve Cato, Lyd, Olof, Shirley, Colin, Debbie, John, Neil, Andy K, Phil, Jo, Bev, Robbie Toby, Del (who doesn't give blokes sweet tobacco :D ) and many new faces that I actually got to chat with for a change. A special thank you to Rob & Linda for hosting the coffee club afterwards.

Finally many thanks for the kind words about my plays. I've done 4 spots at this venue now and I've always been relaxed and contented with what I've played. I can only guess that this is due to the open mindedness of most that attend and the overall comfortable atmosphere.

Well done girls - a wonderful event....just get the clapping going next one....as promised!!!

Playlist

MAIN ROOM 9-10

Ronnie Dyson - Fever

Autographs - I can do it

Viola Wills - I got love

The Dreams Band - Charge

Hytones - Good news

FREESTYLE ROOM 2-3

D'Italians - I gotta go

Candi Staton - I know

Agreed steve, top night, and me & di would also like to thank rob & linda for the after nighter coffees, think ive only just stopped laughing, it was just a brilliant weekend for us, we don`t get to many nighters nowadays due to family commitments but we chose very wisely here, great to put some faces to names on here, particularly enjoyed the crack with the irish lads in the record bar, and seeing my old mate ken, all the music was top drawer for me, never heard a bad record played allnight, thanks sian and all the regulars for making us welcome, looking forward to our next trip to this TOP DRAWER NIGHTER :thumbsup:

I must say I was let down by the SSLAAS and their lack of promised clapping - should have known better than to believe them really :thumbsup::D

Nice to see the Notts crowd in force and in VERY high spirits due to Ians birthday party prior to the niter. Many thanks to Russ for making the trip up - just can't keep the man away!! Also Rachel, The North East posse, Steve Cato, Lyd, Olof, Shirley, Colin, Debbie, John, Neil, Andy K, Phil, Jo, Bev, Robbie Toby, Del (who doesn't give blokes sweet tobacco :D ) and many new faces that I actually got to chat with for a change. A special thank you to Rob & Linda for hosting the coffee club afterwards.

Playlist

MAIN ROOM 9-10

Ronnie Dyson - Fever

Autographs - I can do it

Viola Wills - I got love

The Dreams Band - Charge

Hytones - Good news

FREESTYLE ROOM 2-3

D'Italians - I gotta go

Candi Staton - I know

JUST GOT TO SAY WHAT A GREAT NIGHT THIS TURNED OUT TO BE,AS EVER RUGBY DELIVERED THE GOODS,ON A FREEZIN NIGHT,WITH A PROMISE OF SNOW THE PLACE WAS PACKED.JUST LIKE TO THANK SIAN AND DEAN FOR ASKING ME TO STEP IN FOR THE UNFORTUNATE LOREN WHO HAD WORK COMMITMENTS.I MUST ADMIT I HAD THE TIME OF MY LIFE.ALL THE D.J.S WORKED HARD AND DONE THEMSELVES PROUD.WITH PHIL SHIELDS AND KARL HEARD OUTSTANDIG FOR ME.HERE'S A FEW I PLAYED IN THE FREESTYLE ROOM

THE CHOCHOLATE COMPANY WALK ON BY EUREKA

THE OHIO PLAYERS LOVE SLIPPED THRU MY FINGERS L.P.TRACK

FLUFFY FALANA MY LITTLE COTTAGE ALPHA

THE TYMES I WON'T CRY PARKWAY

ALL NIGHT WORKERS DON'T PUT YOUR EGGS IN ONE BASKET ROUND

CARL BURNETTE JERK BABY JERK CARA-MAX

PARLIAMENTS HEART TROUBLE DEMO

JOANNIE SOMMERS DON'T PITY ME WARNER BROS

THE TRENDS IF YOU DON'T DIG THE BLUES ABC

THE SHEPPARDS LITTLE GIRL LOST ABC DEMO

THE MAIN ROOM 4-5

THE FAB APPOLLOS DETERMINATION VALTONE