Blackpool Mecca

Simsy

Guest SoulRenaissance

You're right up to a point Andy.When the Meccca moved into its "disco" phase, the foundations for the next 30 years had already been laid.

IL then chose to move the scene on.Broadening the horizons of soul music.Lots of "classics" claimed by other venues were actually broke at the Mecca.

Far sighted or blind,,the choice is yours.

Last thing tho', lots of the so called "disco" sounds of the period are standard fodder at so many venues.

Off topic a little ,apologies.

Do we really care? We all know there were three distinct eras of the Mecca, but it's sad that the die hard 60's fans regard some of the more soulful 70's tunes introduced early on as 'disco'. Yet today some of them are quite appreciative of soulful disco of the 60's variety. It ain't got no soul.

Martyn

Social source share

Do we really care? We all know there were three distinct eras of the Mecca, but it's sad that the die hard 60's fans regard some of the more soulful 70's tunes introduced early on as 'disco'. Yet today some of them are quite appreciative of soulful disco of the 60's variety. It ain't got no soul.

Martyn

Hi Martyn, i care. :ohmy: .I was using the term "disco" in reference to an earlier post.

Social source share

Guest SoulRenaissance

Hi Martyn, i care. :ohmy: .I was using the term "disco" in reference to an earlier post.

Yeah. Not referring to your post. But general feedback.

Martyn

Social source share

It was an historic venue, but not an historic "Northern Soul" venue.

Just my opinion. (and I suspect that of many others too). :thumbsup:

Think you should aim that statement at Richard Searling, Kev Roberts, Russ Winstanley, Ginger Taylor etc. - I strongly suspect they would disagree with you!!

Take it you haven't looked that closely at Ian Dewhirst's list of Mecca tunes - is their not enough "Northern" in there for you to see the venue deserving its place as one of the top clubs ever.

It is no coincidence IMO that between 75 & 78 the standard of Northern tunes played at other venues dropped dramatically once The Mecca influence was no longer there.

Benny Troy was not a Mecca record - it was a tune you could pick up for 30p back then. I know it has risen in value since then , but to me it is still a 30p record - both in quality & value.

Social source share

Simply not true Andy. It's totally a historic Northern Soul venue. The Mecca playlists were 100% Northern from '72-'74 - you only have to look at the old Blues & Soul ads to see that.

I have enough problems avoiding being banned for rising to the bait here on Soul Source as it is, without lessening the odds by getting embroiled in this thread.

But frankly there's none of you know what was played at The Mecca as well as I do.

What you all don't seem to accept is that it was mainly Northern right up to 1976. Of course The Carstairs, Montclairs, Gil Scott Heron, Ronnie Walker, etc etc all came into it between 1974 and 1976, but both Colin and I were still playing 60s stuff too, right up to 1976. In June 1976, after recording Twenty Four Hours A Day and Baby I'm Still The Same Man, in fact a total of sixteen songs, from April to June, I came back after a two month absence in Chicago, with a box full of new discoveries, including The Admiration "You Left Me", on Peaches. Les Cokell had been standing in for me, along with Colin. I played The Admirations and it totally, and I really do mean TOTALLY cleared the floor, and all they wanted was "Foot Stomping Music" by Bohannnon, and THAT'S when I finally realised we had to phase out the Sixties stuff altogether.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I have enough problems avoiding being banned for rising to the bait here on Soul Source as it is, without lessening the odds by getting embroiled in this thread.

But frankly there's none of you know what was played at The Mecca as well as I do.

What you all don't seem to accept is that it was mainly Northern right up to 1976. Of course The Carstairs, Montclairs, Gil Scott Heron, Ronnie Walker, etc etc all came into it between 1974 and 1976, but both Colin and I were still playing 60s stuff too, right up to 1976. In June 1976, after recording Twenty Four Hours A Day and Baby I'm Still The Same Man, in fact a total of sixteen songs, from April to June, I came back after a two month absence in Chicago, with a box full of new discoveries, including The Admiration "You Left Me", on Peaches. Les Cokell had been standing in for me, along with Colin. I played The Admirations and it totally, and I really do mean TOTALLY cleared the floor, and all they wanted was "Foot Stomping Music" by Bohannnon, and THAT'S when I finally realised we had to phase out the Sixties stuff altogether.

I think thats pretty much what Ian and Mel are saying, Ian.

Social source share

Something Fishy Going On- Universal Minds

You're The Love Of My Life- Brenda Lee Jones ( Think it was played at Mecca)

Sending My Best Wishes- Garland Green ( Already mentioned but a personel fave )

Heart Be Still- Jackie Moore ( As above)

Sister Sledge- Love Don't Go Through No Changes With Me

Steve

Garland Green -Played this out at Dundee in August last year(Actually it was first in my set) and went down excellently

Full Floor!

Social source share

Guest mel brat

I played The Admirations and it totally, and I really do mean TOTALLY cleared the floor...

Possibly because the majority of the punters' favoured dancing and fashion styles had comprehensively changed by 1976 Ian? - but that's another story.

No one here is denying the well documented contribution that you have made to discovering 60s sounds, or the Highland Room's obvious place in (60s) Northern Soul history. We're just discussing the timeline and variety of records played, that's all. However, the "view from the dancefloor" is sometimes different to the more intimate involvement of the DJs, you must admit, and like it or not (and I did like it!), the Mecca had ceased to be "just" a top Northern Soul venue, and had become something truly unique where the eclectic and cutting edge playlist was ultimately the main attraction!

The modern and contemporary playlist prevailed in the long run, but that was inevitable really unless the Highland Room was to begin to "back peddle", thus losing it's reputation for being at the vanguard.

Speaking personally, I do not bemoan the featuring of Disco (and Jazz) records at the Mecca one little bit! The likes of Crown Heights Affair, Dr. Buzzard, Dexter Wansel, Side Effect etc. - all of which I still listen to occasionally - only added to the fun and well deserved to be played and heard there. That doesn't mean though that I'd suddenly started dismissing 60's Northern recordings out of hand and stopped chasing them!

Incidently in late 1976 I used to travel up with Tony Bowd aka 'Caggy' from Bloxwich (then a big collector of 60s Detroit recordings), whom you may possibly remember. Colin certainly would.

Social source share

Possibly because the majority of the punters' favoured dancing and fashion styles had comprehensively changed by 1976 Ian? - but that's another story.

No one here is denying the well documented contribution that you have made to discovering 60s sounds, or the Highland Room's obvious place in (60s) Northern Soul history. We're just discussing the timeline and variety of records played, that's all. However, the "view from the dancefloor" is sometimes different to the more intimate involvement of the DJs, you must admit, and like it or not (and I did like it!), the Mecca had ceased to be "just" a top Northern Soul venue, and had become something truly unique where the eclectic and cutting edge playlist was ultimately the main attraction!

The modern and contemporary playlist prevailed in the long run, but that was inevitable really unless the Highland Room was to begin to "back peddle", thus losing it's reputation for being at the vanguard.

Speaking personally, I do not bemoan the featuring of Disco (and Jazz) records at the Mecca one little bit! The likes of Crown Heights Affair, Dr. Buzzard, Dexter Wansel, Side Effect etc. - all of which I still listen to occasionally - only added to the fun and well deserved to be played and heard there. That doesn't mean though that I'd suddenly started dismissing 60's Northern recordings out of hand and stopped chasing them!

Incidently in late 1976 I used to travel up with Tony Bowd aka 'Caggy' from Bloxwich (then a big collector of 60s Detroit recordings), whom you may possibly remember. Colin certainly would.

Totally agree Mel! thumbsup.gif

Only IL could take offence at a thread which actively honours him......you just can't please some people LOL.... :lol:

Ian D :yes:

Social source share

What year was "Heaven Is In Your Arms" then? That's the Admirations track I most associate with the Mecca.

Snoopy Dean hasn't stood the test of time has it? And where is King Sporty????

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Oh NO! - Yet more controversy...!!?? unsure.gif:lol::yes:

"In costume and dance the Mecca's audience is quite different from Wigan's. Young men in exquisitely cut jackets and crisp motifed shirts and pretty crop-haired girls in expensive calf-length dresses chatter over the thumping beat. They dance with a sense of cool style, skipping and bobbing in lightning movements, with jerky though precise motions of the hands like speeded up marionettes. Hardly a singlet or handspring in sight..."*

(Tony Cummings - 'Black Music' magazine, November 1975)

"Blackpool Mecca certainly is different from other Northern Soul clubs.... The scene is certainly more dressy than most allnighters and there is rather more reliance on current records than (at) other places but as ever the place was hopping...

Another thing that stuck me about the Mecca, and Colin (Curtis) mentioned it as well, was the amount of people who go along to the Mecca for a drink and to listen to the music. There is a bigger percentage of listeners and non-dancers at the Mecca than (at) most other clubs I feel... Some of the outfits the girls were wearing would be ruined in half-an-hour at a normal allnighter..."

(Frank Elson - 'Blues & Soul' No. 194, May 1976)

"Right now the Blackpool Mecca is very much in the avant-garde of Soul, and builds up it's following around new American releases and the fact that it is a very high fashion place now where people like to be seen in their best outfits. That has always been an aspect of the club scene, but the Mecca is now the undisputed leader in the field as far as the North is concerned..."

(Neil Rushton to Dave Godin, 'Blues & Soul' No. 200, July 1976)

"The scene has changed so much, and truthfully you can now say that Blackpool Mecca is closer in atmosphere and ambience to a New York disco than any other location in the whole of Britain. They dance the same, and there is the same stylistic high fashion approach to it all which all adds to it..."

(Ian Levine - 'Blues & Soul' No. 202, July 1976)

*Please NO FLAMING! - I'm well aware of Tony Cummings' overtly biased reporting methods regarding the Northern scene!

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

What year was "Heaven Is In Your Arms" then? That's the Admirations track I most associate with the Mecca.

That I played in 1975. Which is why, when I discovered "You Left Me", in a record shop in Chicago in 1976, and listened to it, I got all excited, and then when it cleared the floor, that one incident made me take a major rethink, and then announced to Colin that I wasn't going to play any more 1960s records in the Highland Room from that point on.

Not saying it was right or wrong, just that it happened.

Social source share

No-ones baiting you Ian.But,not everyone wanted Hamilton Bohannon. :lol: .The Mecca crowd were being led by the hand by Colin and yourself,thru Northern into the newer stuff.I quite enjoyed the later sounds,not bothering my little head whether they were "Northern" or not.

Its only since, to some extent, that the Mecca 's direction has been called into question.I would have personally preferred, in hindsight, for the Mecca to carry on at the cutting edge of the "Northern" scene and miss out on the likes of Hamilton Bohannon :yes: .Imo....a groundbreaking venue. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I'm well aware of Tony Cummings' overtly biased reporting methods regarding the Northern scene!

The man was an artist, a genius, and my greatest mentor and influence.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

The man was an artist, a genius, and my greatest mentor and influence.

ohmy.gif:lol:

Tony Cummings also spent most of his early career single-handedly waging a war on the fledgling Northern Soul scene in it's entirety (mainly due to his ongoing bitter feud with Dave Godin!), gave a luke warm review to Linda Jones "I Just Can't Live My Life" on UK Warner Bros, and dismissed just about every other Northern Soul record out of hand when they finally did get a UK release!

I DID admire his "in depth" style of reporting on the Miami and Philly Sound etc. however, (far better writing than the average B&S article)

Social source share

I DID admire his "in depth" style of reporting on the Miami and Philly Sound etc. however, (far better writing than the average B&S article)

I think you'll find that I wrote the Black Music Miami article.

Social source share

Guest Roger A. Mann

All played at The Mecca and not mentioned so far

21st Creation -Tailgate

Brass Construction- Movin

Teddy Pendergrass- The More I get

Teddy Pendergrass- you can't hide

Michael Polinareff- Lipstick

Lalo Schifrin - Jaws

Thinking back theres loads of stuff from the 76-79 Mecca/Ritz era that I've forgotten about, mI'll have a think and do a list later.

Edited by Roger A. Mann
Social source share

Guest Roger A. Mann

All played at The Mecca and not mentioned so far

21st Creation -Tailgate

Lalo Schifrin - Jaws

Thinking back theres loads of stuff from the 76-79 Mecca/Ritz era that I've forgotten about, mI'll have a think and do a list later.

Here'a few more whilst I've got a minute..

Michael Zager band- Let's all chant

The Miracles Overture

Peter Brown Do You wanna a get Funky?

Madleen Kane - Forbidden Love - a Levine Spin right towards the end

All great music, appropriate for that club and that scene at that time.

Social source share

:thumbsup::thumbup:

Tony Cummings also spent most of his early career single-handedly waging a war on the fledgling Northern Soul scene in it's entirety (mainly due to his ongoing bitter feud with Dave Godin!), gave a luke warm review to Linda Jones "I Just Can't Live My Life" on UK Warner Bros, and dismissed just about every other Northern Soul record out of hand when they finally did get a UK release!

Yes the Cummings/Godin thing got rather heavy. I recall as a Meccaite taking some commets that Godin made in an article(B & S?) as anti Mecca and duly sent it back to him.I had met him at the Mecca in April 74.Clearly I had touched on a nerve because he replied with a six pager duly typed.Rather good collectors item now!

Looking back maybe the Mecca had to compete hard with Wigan although some folks went to both - for me the quality music and particularly progression came at the Mecca.How can anybody give Linda Jones a warm reception. On the SWNS Dvd Mr Cummings appears to have become pro Northern?

More tunes(and thats what matters now);

You dont have to be lying - Gene Chandler(75?)

Its all over Charles Mann (74)

No second thoughts - Top shelf (73)

Alex

Social source share

Guest mel brat

All played at The Mecca and not mentioned so far...

21st Creation -Tailgate

Lalo Schifrin - Jaws

Thinking back there's loads of stuff from the 76-79 Mecca/Ritz era that I've forgotten about, I'll have a think and do a list later....

Not so much overlooked, rather that this period is well covered under the Jazz/Funk period listings (1976-79/80) - which I also have to re-type before posting! All confirmed records mentioned will be included in due course in the upgraded listings elsewhere (hopefully). Below is only a sample of what I have in mind (along with a rather laborious explanation of it's raison d'ªtre - sorry!)

Social source share

Guest mel brat

'Flamers' please note: :thumbsup:

The listings below date only from the period AFTER the Highland Room playlists began

to shift toward a high proportion of new releases, (which is what personally attracted me

to attend the Mecca after mid-74)

A more comprehensive listing of rare 60s recordings played in the period 1970-1974

is featured in the broader 'Northern Soul' playlists that proceed this one, and which

it is hoped will ultimately include the wide variety of music featured at MANY UK venues,

not just Blackpool. The information is taken from a variety of sources including ads in B&S, the Dave Godin & Frank Elson's columns, DJ interviews, 'Live' tapes etc.etc. This will be added to substantially in due course (hopefully).

The first section (February-August) includes notable Highland Room spins played during

that initial transitional period, most of which continued to be popular for several months

afterwards. The Carstairs (listed as being played between C.Feb. and Nov.1974) is used as

a convenient link between the two periods, nothing more. IT IS NOT MY INTENTION TO

ARGUE WHO "FIRST PLAYED" A PARTICULAR RECORD!, just an attempt to list them in

some kind of chronological order of play.

The small 'p' that proceeds the date refers to that particular record being played at that time, according to the the earliest references I have found. Any definite confirmation for earlier dates - along with additions - will be added as the listing(s) evolve.

Part One

Feb-Aug.1974 (sample playlist only, see above notes)

CARSTAIRS - "It Really Hurts Me Girl" (RED COACH) p.Feb.1974 (1973 release - promo only)

DETROIT EXECUTIVES - "Cool Off" (PAMELINE) p.April 1974

EULA COOPER - "Let Our Love Grow Higher" (SUPER SOUND) p.April 1974 recent release(1974?)*

MONTCLAIRS - "Hung Up On Your Love" (PAULA) p.July 1974 (1973 release)

TOWANDA BARNES - "You Don't Mean It" (A&M) p.July 1974

DON VARNER - "Tearstained Face" (QUINVY) p.July 1974

GUYS FROM UNCLE - "The Spy" (SWAN) p.July 1974

ROCK CANDY - "Alone With No Love" (DONTEE) p.July 174

GEORGE BLACKWELL - "Can't Lose My Head" (SMOKE) p.July 1974

JOHNNY HOWARD - "The Chase Is On" (BASHIE) p.July 74 (revived from 1973)

T.D. VALENTINE - "Love Trap" (EPIC) p.July/Aug.1974

SHAINE MARTIN - "I Need You" (EPIC) p.Aug.1974

MADELINE WILSON - "Dial 'L' For Lonely" (SAMAR) Date?

OTIS BLACKWELL - "It's All Over Me" (EPIC) Date?

Sept.-Dec.1974

LIFE - "Tell Me Why" (REPRISE) p.Sept.1974

MIKE & IKE - "Sax On The Tracks" (ARCTIC) p.Sept.1974

ANN SEXTON - "You've Been Gone Too Long" (SEVENTY-SEVEN) p.Oct.1974

ELOISE LAWS - "Love Factory" (MUSIC MERCHANT) p.Oct.1974

BOBY FRANKLIN - "The Ladies Choice" (FEE) Oct.1974

SNOOPY DEAN - "Shake n' Bump" (BLUE CANDLE) p.Nov.1974 New release*

YVONNE BAKER - "You Didn't Say A Word" (PARKWAY) p.Nov.1974

CAPRIS - "How To Make A Sad Man Glad" (SOUND) p.Nov.1974

TEMPREES - "At Last" (WE PRODUCE) p.Nov.1974

G.DAVIS & R.TYLER - "Hold On, Help Is On The Way" (PARLO) p.Nov.1974

FANTASTIC JOHNNY C. - "Don't Depend On Me" (PHIL LA of SOUL) Nov.1974 New release*

MAJOR HARRIS - "Call Me Tomorrow" (OKEH) re-activated oldie*

UNIVERSAL MIND - "Something Fishy Going On" (RED COACH) p.Nov.1974 New release*

MANDRILL - "Never Die" (POLYDOR) p.Nov.1974 1973 release*

KEANYA COLLINS - (Barnabus Collins) Love Bandit" (KEANYA) p.Nov.1974

SISTER SLEDGE - "Love Don't Go Through No Changes On Me" (ATCO) p.Nov.1974 New release*

MIGHTY JOE DRAKE - "Try Try Try" (KAPP) p.Nov.1974

COALITIONS - "I Don't Mind Doin' It" (PHIL LA of SOUL) p.Nov.1974 New release*

JOHNNY ROSS & SOUL EXPLOSIONS - “I Can’t Help Myself” (CHIRRUP) p.Nov.1974

KING SPORTY - "Music Maker" (TASHAMBA) p.Nov.1974 New release*

GYPSIES - "It's A Woman's World" (OLDE TOWN) p.Nov.1974

JOHNNY BRAGG - "They're Talking About Me" (ELBEJAY) p.Nov.1974

MARC COPAGE - "Who Can I Turn To (Questions And Answers)" (AVCO) Nov.1974 New release*

CROWN HEIGHTS AFFAIR - "Streakin" (RCA) p.Nov.1974 New release*

PAT POWDRILL - "Together Forever" (DOWNEY) p.Nov.1974

NATURAL FOUR - "The Devil Made Me Do It" (CADET) p.Nov.1974 New release*

BILLY PROPHET - "What Can I Do" (SUE) p.Nov.1974

PERCEPTION STRINGS ORCH. - "Bet You If You Ask Around" (PERCEPTION) p.Nov.1974 New release*

Jan-C.March 1975

LITTLE RICHIE - "Just Another Heartache" (SOUND STAGE 7) p.Jan.1975

GIL SCOTT HERON & BRIAN JACKSON - "The Bottle" (STRATA-EAST LP) p.Jan.1975 Recent release*

HAROLD MELVIN & BLUENOTES - “Get Out” (LANDA) p.Jan 1975

MARVIN HOLMES & JUSTICE - “You Better Keep Her” (BROWN DOOR) p.Jan.1975 New release*

PATTI AUSTIN - "Didn't Say A Word" (COLUMBIA) p.Jan.1975 - 1972 release

KEANYA COLLINS - “I’ll Get Over It” (BLUE ROCK) p.Jan.1975

SHONA STRINGFIELD - "I Need A Rest" (RIALTO) p.Jan.1975

BETTY WRIGHT - "Where Is The Love"/"Love Don't Grow On A Love Tree" (ALSTON LP) p.Jan.1975

BILL BRANDON & LORRAINE JOHNSON - "Let Me Be Your Full Time Groover" (MOONSONG) p.Jan.1975?

EMBERS - "Watch Out Girl" (MGM) p.Jan.1975

MALIBUS - "Gee Baby I Love You" (SURE SHOT) p.Jan.1975

PAUL HUMPHREY - "Cochise" (ABC LP) p.Jan. 1975

RONNIE WALKER - "You've Got To Try Harder" (EVENT) p.Jan.1975 New release*

JACKIE PAYNE - "No Puppy Love" (JETSTREAM) p.Jan.1975

LARRY SAUNDERS - "On The Real Side" (TURBO) p.Jan.1975

VIOLA WILLS - "I've Got News For You" (SUPREME) p.Jan.1975

R.B. FREEMAN - "I'm Shaft (You Ain't Shaft)" (AVCO) p.Jan.1975 New release*

BRENDA LEE JONES - "You're The Love Of My Life" (RUST) p.Jan.1975

DANNY HUNT - "What's Happening To Our Love Affair" (DYNAMITE) p.Jan.1975 Released C.Aug 1974*

CLYDE BROWN - "You Call Me Back" (ATLANTIC) p.Jan.1975 Released July 1974*

LEONARD 'LIL MAN' KAIGLER - "Girl (You Got Me Believin' In You" (SUNBURST) New release*

ESSEX IV - “My Reaction To You” (WINDMILL) p.Jan.1975

LORRAINE CHANDLER - “I Can’t Change” (RCA-VICTOR) p.Jan.1975 - revival*

REGGIE GARNER - Hot Line” (CAPITOL) p.Jan.1975

PRETENDERS - “I Wanna Be” (CARNIVAL) p.Jan.1975

VAN McCOY - “Boogie Down” (AVCO) p.Jan.1975 New release*

TYRONE DAVIS - “What Goes Up (Must Come Down)” (DAKAR) p.Jan.1975 New release*

DON THOMAS - Come On Train” (NUVJ) p.Jan.1975 New release*

BILL HARRIS - “Uptown Saturday Night” (WARNER BROS) p.Jan.1975 New release*

GARLAND GREEN - “Sending My Best Wishes” (SPRING) p.Jan.1975 New release*

GWEN OWENS - “You Better Watch Out” (CASABLANCA) p.Jan.1975 New release*

GRAHAM CENTRAL STATION - “Feel The Need” (WARNER BROS) New release*

JAMES FOUNTAIN - “Seven Day Lover” (PEACHTREE) p.Jan.1975 - 1972 release

PHILLY DEVOTIONS - “I Just Can’t Say Goodbye” (DON DE) New release*

MARGO THUNDER - “The Soul Of A Woman” (HAVEN) New Release*

SOULVATION ARMY BAND - “Dancing On A Daydream” (SOULVATION ARMY) New release* (Aug/Sept 1974)

C.March - July 1975

FRANKIE 'LOVEMAN' CROCKER - "Ton Of Dynamite" (TURBO)

PRINCE JOHNNY ROBINSON - "This Man Is Rated X" (ANDEE) New release*

GEORGE CLINTON BAND - "Please Don't Run From Me" (ABC LP) New Release*

KING ERRISON - "Zola" (CANYON)

THIRD TIME AROUND - "Soon Everything Will Be Alright" (DENINE) New Release*

JACKIE LAVANT & FASHIONS - "I Don't Mind Doin' It" (PHIL LA of SOUL) New release*

(vocal to Coalitions)

DIANE JENKINS - "Tow-A-Way Zone" (CREATIVE SOURCE) New release*

DIANE JENKINS - "I Need You" (CREATIVE SOURCE) New release*

query - was the prior "Sweet Wine, Music And My Imagination" by Diane Jenkins ever played at the Highland Room as a new release?

DESTINY - "So Much Love (inst)" (RCA) New release*

EXCITERS - "Reaching For The Best" (Pre-release)

JIMMY THOMPSON - "Jimmy's Place" (JIMMY THOMPSON MUSIC) - New/Recent release?

MODERN REDCAPS - "Never Too Young (To Fall In Love)" (SWAN)

ROBBIE LAWSON - "Burning Sensation" (KYSER)

VOICES OF EAST HARLEM - "Cashing In" (JUST SUNSHINE) - 1973 release

TRADEWINDS - "Strange" (TRIUMPH)

VALENTINO - "I Was Born This Way" (GAIEE) New release*

RON BUTLER & RAMBLERS - "Peace And Love (inst)" (PLAYBOY) New release*

POINTER SISTERS - "Send Him Back" (ATLANTIC)

TROY KEYES - "If I Had My Way" (VMP) - confirmation needed

AL GARDNER - "Sweet Baby" (SEPIA)

ANN BYERS - "That Man Is Rated-X" (VIRTUE) New release*

LOU EDWARDS & TODAY'S PEOPLE - "Talking 'Bout Poor Folks" (COLUMBIA) - revived from 1973

OLLIE JACKSON - "The Day The World Sttod Still" (MAGNUM)

REFLECTIONS - "Three Steps From True Love" (CAPITOL) New release*

CROW - "Your Autumn Of Tomorrow" (INNER EAR)

GEORGE 'BAD' BENSON - "Supership" (CTI) New release*

SHIRLEY EIKHARD - "Rescue Me" (CAPITOL)

TAMIKO JONES - "I'm Spellbound" (GOLDEN WORLD)

ROBERT THOMAS - "Salvation" (CHARAY)

RITA LEE - "Salvation" (CHARAY) - female version of above

EDIE ROBIN - "There Must Be A Love Somewhere" (LE-CAM) New release?*

MIKKI FARROW - "Set My Heart At Ease" (KARATE)

ANDERSON BROTHERS - "I Can See Him Loving You" (GSF)

BOBBY HUTTON - "Lend A Hand" (ABC LP) - 1973 release

ERNEST MOSLEY - "Stubborn Heart" (LA CINDY)

JOSHIE JO ARMSTEAD - "I Got The Vibes" (GOSPEL TRUTH) - Recent release

CAROL WILLIAMS - "Rattlesnake" (SALSOUL) New release* - the first on the label methinks!

JIMMY MACK - "My World Is On Fire" (PALMER)

MELVIN CARTER - "Midnight Brew" (TRIP) - Revival from 1973.

Formerly played as "Let's Shing-A-Ling At The Go-Go" by the 'Johnny Jackson Experience'

BROTHERS, SISTERS & COUSINS - "Smoke Stream" (NASCO) New/Recent release*

CHUCK RAINEY COALITION - "Got It Together" (SKYE/COBBLESTONE LP)

ROSEY JONES - "Have Love Will Travel" (TODAY) - 1973 release

CROWN HEIGHTS AFFAIR - "Dreaming A Dream (inst)" (DE-LITE) New release*

DANNY REED - "What Makes Her A Woman" (INTERNATIONAL MUSIC BAG) New release*

HIGH VOLTAGE - "Country Road" (COLUMBIA)

EARTH, WIND & FIRE - "Happy Feelin" (COLUMBIA/CBS LP) New release*

BROTHERS - "Are You Ready For This" (RCA) New release*

R.P.M. GENERATION - "Rona's Theme" (ROMAR)

BITS 'N' PIECES - "Keep On Running Away" (NASCO) New/Recent release*

M.V.P.s - "Turning My Heartbeat Up" (BUDDAH) - 1970 release

DENIECE CHANDLER - "Mama, I Wish I'd Stayed At Home" (LOCK)

DEBBIE FLEMING - "Long Gone" (ATTIC)

LILY FIELDS - "Love Has So Many Meanings" (SUNBURST) New release* - confirmation needed

HANK JACOBS - "Elijah Rockin' With Soul" (CALL ME)

CHUCK JONES - "Boo On You" (WAND) New release*

MAGIC DISCO MACHINE - "Control Tower" (MOTOWN) New release*

JUDY HARRIS - "You Touched Me" (SUN)

VAN McCOY - "Fire" (H&L LP) New release*

VAL PALMER - "Back In My Arms Again" (TWIN STACKS)

JENNY & JEWELS - "Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart" (HIT)

DAVE MITCHELL & SCREAMERS - "The Trip" (MET)

CHUCK JACKSON - "Love Lights" (ALL PLATINUM) New release* - confirmation needed

Additional new US releases included the following - some (or all!) may have been played at some time?

LIVIN' INN - "It's Hard To Stop" (EPIC)

IMAGINATIONS - "Searchin" (20th CENTURY) Feb.1975

SATYR - "Free And Easy" (RCA) May/June 1975

EBB TIDE - "Give Me Your Best Shot Baby" (SOUND GEMS) May/June 1975

JIMMY JACKSON - "Footsteps In The Shadows" (BUDDAH)

INVITATIONS - "Look On The Good Side" (SILVER BLUE) New release in Nov.1974

LTD EXCHANGE - "Waterbed" (WAND)

ANTHONY WHITE - "Hey Baby" (PIR)

Also, were the following Ian Levine faves ( mentioned in Black Music) ever played? In the last hour perhaps?

CHRISTINE ADAMS - "Loneliness Is Always Around" (CYCLONE)

WE THE PEOPLE - "(Only) One Of A Kind" (MAP CITY)

1975 July-December playlists to follow....

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

'Flamers' please note: :tumbleweed3:

The listings below date only from the period AFTER the Highland Room playlists began

to shift toward a high proportion of new releases, (which is what personally attracted me

A more comprehensive listing of rare 60s recordings played in the period 1970-1974

is featured in the broader 'Northern Soul' playlists that proceed this one, and which

it is hoped will ultimately include the wide variety of music featured at MANY UK venues,

not just Blackpool. The information is taken from a variety of sources including ads in B&S, the Dave Godin & Frank Elson's columns, DJ interviews, 'Live' tapes etc.etc. This will be added to substantially in due course (hopefully).

The first section (February-August) includes notable Highland Room spins played during

that initial transitional period, most of which continued to be popular for several months

afterwards. The Carstairs (listed as being played between C.Feb. and Nov.1974) is used as

a convenient link between the two periods, nothing more. IT IS NOT MY INTENTION TO

The small 'p' that proceeds the date refers to that particular record being played at that time, according to the the earliest references I have found. Any definite confirmation for earlier dates - along with additions - will be added as the listing(s) evolve.

Part One

CARSTAIRS - "It Really Hurts Me Girl" (RED COACH) p.Feb.1974 (1973 release - promo only)

EULA COOPER - "Let Our Love Grow Higher" (SUPER SOUND) p.April 1974 recent release(1974?)*

Sept.-Dec.1974

FANTASTIC JOHNNY C. - "Don't Depend On Me" (PHIL LA of SOUL) Nov.1974 New release*

SISTER SLEDGE - "Love Don't Go Through No Changes On Me" (ATCO) p.Nov.1974 New release*

JOHNNY ROSS & SOUL EXPLOSIONS - "I Can't Help Myself" (CHIRRUP) p.Nov.1974

MARC COPAGE - "Who Can I Turn To (Questions And Answers)" (AVCO) Nov.1974 New release*

PERCEPTION STRINGS ORCH. - "Bet You If You Ask Around" (PERCEPTION) p.Nov.1974 New release*

Jan-C.March 1975

GIL SCOTT HERON & BRIAN JACKSON - "The Bottle" (STRATA-EAST LP) p.Jan.1975 Recent release*

HAROLD MELVIN & BLUENOTES - "Get Out" (LANDA) p.Jan 1975

MARVIN HOLMES & JUSTICE - "You Better Keep Her" (BROWN DOOR) p.Jan.1975 New release*

KEANYA COLLINS - "I'll Get Over It" (BLUE ROCK) p.Jan.1975

BETTY WRIGHT - "Where Is The Love"/"Love Don't Grow On A Love Tree" (ALSTON LP) p.Jan.1975

BILL BRANDON & LORRAINE JOHNSON - "Let Me Be Your Full Time Groover" (MOONSONG) p.Jan.1975?

DANNY HUNT - "What's Happening To Our Love Affair" (DYNAMITE) p.Jan.1975 Released C.Aug 1974*

LEONARD 'LIL MAN' KAIGLER - "Girl (You Got Me Believin' In You" (SUNBURST) New release*

ESSEX IV - "My Reaction To You" (WINDMILL) p.Jan.1975

LORRAINE CHANDLER - "I Can't Change" (RCA-VICTOR) p.Jan.1975 - revival*

REGGIE GARNER - Hot Line" (CAPITOL) p.Jan.1975

PRETENDERS - "I Wanna Be" (CARNIVAL) p.Jan.1975

VAN McCOY - "Boogie Down" (AVCO) p.Jan.1975 New release*

TYRONE DAVIS - "What Goes Up (Must Come Down)" (DAKAR) p.Jan.1975 New release*

DON THOMAS - Come On Train" (NUVJ) p.Jan.1975 New release*

BILL HARRIS - "Uptown Saturday Night" (WARNER BROS) p.Jan.1975 New release*

GARLAND GREEN - "Sending My Best Wishes" (SPRING) p.Jan.1975 New release*

GWEN OWENS - "You Better Watch Out" (CASABLANCA) p.Jan.1975 New release*

GRAHAM CENTRAL STATION - "Feel The Need" (WARNER BROS) New release*

JAMES FOUNTAIN - "Seven Day Lover" (PEACHTREE) p.Jan.1975 - 1972 release

PHILLY DEVOTIONS - "I Just Can't Say Goodbye" (DON DE) New release*

MARGO THUNDER - "The Soul Of A Woman" (HAVEN) New Release*

SOULVATION ARMY BAND - "Dancing On A Daydream" (SOULVATION ARMY) New release* (Aug/Sept 1974)

C.March - July 1975

JACKIE LAVANT & FASHIONS - "I Don't Mind Doin' It" (PHIL LA of SOUL) New release*

(vocal to Coalitions)

query - was the prior "Sweet Wine, Music And My Imagination" by Diane Jenkins ever played at the Highland Room as a new release?

LOU EDWARDS & TODAY'S PEOPLE - "Talking 'Bout Poor Folks" (COLUMBIA) - revived from 1973

CAROL WILLIAMS - "Rattlesnake" (SALSOUL) New release* - the first on the label methinks!

Formerly played as "Let's Shing-A-Ling At The Go-Go" by the 'Johnny Jackson Experience'

LILY FIELDS - "Love Has So Many Meanings" (SUNBURST) New release* - confirmation needed

Additional new US releases included the following - some (or all!) may have been played at some time?

Also, were the following Ian Levine faves ( mentioned in Black Music) ever played? In the last hour perhaps?

PM You with some dates.

Social source share

'Flamers' please note: :thumbup:

Part One

Sept.-Dec.1974

JOHNNY ROSS & SOUL EXPLOSIONS - "I Can't Help Myself" (CHIRRUP) p.Nov.1974

Jan-C.March 1975

HAROLD MELVIN & BLUENOTES - "Get Out" (LANDA) p.Jan 1975

MARVIN HOLMES & JUSTICE - "You Better Keep Her" (BROWN DOOR) p.Jan.1975 New release*

KEANYA COLLINS - "I'll Get Over It" (BLUE ROCK) p.Jan.1975

ESSEX IV - "My Reaction To You" (WINDMILL) p.Jan.1975

LORRAINE CHANDLER - "I Can't Change" (RCA-VICTOR) p.Jan.1975 - revival*

REGGIE GARNER - Hot Line" (CAPITOL) p.Jan.1975

PRETENDERS - "I Wanna Be" (CARNIVAL) p.Jan.1975

VAN McCOY - "Boogie Down" (AVCO) p.Jan.1975 New release*

TYRONE DAVIS - "What Goes Up (Must Come Down)" (DAKAR) p.Jan.1975 New release*

DON THOMAS - Come On Train" (NUVJ) p.Jan.1975 New release*

BILL HARRIS - "Uptown Saturday Night" (WARNER BROS) p.Jan.1975 New release*

GARLAND GREEN - "Sending My Best Wishes" (SPRING) p.Jan.1975 New release*

GWEN OWENS - "You Better Watch Out" (CASABLANCA) p.Jan.1975 New release*

GRAHAM CENTRAL STATION - "Feel The Need" (WARNER BROS) New release*

JAMES FOUNTAIN - "Seven Day Lover" (PEACHTREE) p.Jan.1975 - 1972 release

PHILLY DEVOTIONS - "I Just Can't Say Goodbye" (DON DE) New release*

MARGO THUNDER - "The Soul Of A Woman" (HAVEN) New Release*

SOULVATION ARMY BAND - "Dancing On A Daydream" (SOULVATION ARMY) New release* (Aug/Sept 1974)

C.March - July 1975

(vocal to Coalitions)

Some great research there Mel , mouthwatering reading !! Best,Eddie

Social source share

Not sure if "SWM,AMI "- Diane Jenkins was played Mel,was def a tape sound for us on the way up and back from Blackpool.

"I need you" was mainly played as the instru i think.(Still want a spoken intro version.. :thumbup: ).

Christine Adams - "Loneliness is always around",love it to bits, can't remember it at Mecca tho'.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Not sure if "SWM,AMI "- Diane Jenkins was played Mel,was def a tape sound for us on the way up and back from Blackpool.

"I need you" was mainly played as the instru i think.(Still want a spoken intro version.. whistling.gif ).

Christine Adams - "Loneliness is always around",love it to bits, can't remember it at Mecca tho'.

I remember buying "Sweet Wine.." from Barry James' record shop in '74 from none other than Bill Baker (local DJ) who was working there at the time! (Hi Bill!) I think lots of folk must have snapped it up, as it was one of those unusual examples of a brand new release with a 'sixties feel.

My own copy of "I Need You" has the spoken intro. (Is it only on the issue copies?, I've forgotten!) I do recall the instrumental and vocal sides being spun at Blackpool, but you're right it was mainly the instrumental side.

I think Christine Adams got "honorary Mecca" status due to Ian's timely mention of it in 'Black Music' as one of his personal faves. I love "Loneliness Is.." too

You probably know that Christine Adams also sings lead on Water & Power's "Mr. Weather Man" on Fantasy, another terrific performance. I wonder what happened to her afterwards?

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest mel brat

Agree keep it going. I have a live tape from 74 that includes;

Lindi Stevens,Silhouettes, Danny Wagner, Doni Burdick , Johnny Ross. and Silver Bullet.Happy to swop if anyone has others(I have the MDD mix one)

Alex

Hi Alex.

Please PM any tape listings that you have - along with date/venue - and I will add the details to the general club listings in due course, along with your name and confirmation. Thanks.

That applies to everyone who's got 'any! (In your own time!) smile.gif

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Well i would say Robby Lawson - Burning Sensation, Tony Clarke - Landslide even got played at Mecca i believe.

Evelyn Thomas - Weakspot

Lamont Dozier - Going Back to my Roots

Social source share

O yeh. :thumbsup: The thing is so many people seem to be kind of embarrassed that they loved the disco edged groove at the Mecca, but why? It was certainly a vibrant place, just not centred on Northern Soul thats all. There's nothing wrong with that whatsoever. Sure in the earlier days there was some northern influenced plays and smatterings of northern throughout its history, but Ian Levine changed most of that and it did move to a disco edged groove. It was an historic venue, but not an historic "Northern Soul" venue.

Just my opinion. (and I suspect that of many others too). :yes:

Again, what then is Northern Soul?

If it is to be judged, as it should be, by what is played - and danced to - within the sphere of a designated All Nighter, then the term NS should be allocated to an ever moving take on the music taken on board by the dancefloor, as deemed by the lads (DJ's) that follow the ever changing sound that the dancers have required.

The punter has always deemed what has been played.

The lads that take the mantle of DJ, simply refelect the present state by their playlists of what is required by the punter.

Certain sounds and styles will always take prescedent - on the flip certsin styles will always take a back-seat.

Music, like fashion, is cyclical.

The majority will eventually look for a progression.

'Progression' is a dodgy word to use, as it may read in a manner that could be read as 'newer sounds', which I don't mean it to - we all have a hankering to learn, to be played different sounds - to progress.

I'm tying myself up here, so I'll stop before I sound any more ridiculous.

The bottom line is, the lads that have carried the mantle of 'DJ' over the years have done little more than accomodate the majority of the dancefloor - putting your neck on the line week in, week out is bound to bring negative responses.

They simply kept their eye on the scene's ball for the dancefloors sake, for your sake, for Northern's sake if you will.

Name me a bloke that has djed on this scene that has done more harm than good?

There isn't one.

Social source share

Again, what then is Northern Soul?

If it is to be judged, as it should be, by what is played - and danced to - within the sphere of a designated All Nighter, then the term NS should be allocated to an ever moving take on the music taken on board by the dancefloor, as deemed by the lads (DJ's) that follow the ever changing sound that the dancers have required.

The punter has always deemed what has been played.

The lads that take the mantle of DJ, simply refelect the present state by their playlists of what is required by the punter.

Certain sounds and styles will always take prescedent - on the flip certsin styles will always take a back-seat.

Music, like fashion, is cyclical.

The majority will eventually look for a progression.

'Progression' is a dodgy word to use, as it may read in a manner that could be read as 'newer sounds', which I don't mean it to - we all have a hankering to learn, to be played different sounds - to progress.

I'm tying myself up here, so I'll stop before I sound any more ridiculous.

The bottom line is, the lads that have carried the mantle of 'DJ' over the years have done little more than accomodate the majority of the dancefloor - putting your neck on the line week in, week out is bound to bring negative responses.

They simply kept their eye on the scene's ball for the dancefloors sake, for your sake, for Northern's sake if you will.

Name me a bloke that has djed on this scene that has done more harm than good?

There isn't one.

Let's not forget that in all the time they were there Colin & Ians playlists were evolving every week - they didn't fall back on "oldies" which have realistically been the backbone of the scene since about 1977.

Social source share

You probably know that Christine Adams also sings lead on Water & Power's "Mr. Weather Man" on Fantasy, another terrific performance. I wonder what happened to her afterwards?

Social source share

Let's not forget that in all the time they were there Colin & Ians playlists were evolving every week - they didn't fall back on "oldies" which have realistically been the backbone of the scene since about 1977.

What scene were you on from 79 to 94 Epic? There was virtually no oldies scene then for us, especially once Wigan shut, what a strange comment.

Re the playlists etc etc what a huge amount of time to spend on something so worthless and meaningless....... except to us saddos. Can't wait to read it and let the debates spring, cmon Mel get working, you have an audience whose breath couldn't be more bated.

Oh and I suppose I should apologise to you Mel for thinking you were Mr Levine in disguise when you first landed, you have almost become likeable (only almost :thumbup: )

Social source share

Here is a list of "last hour" tunes played by Colin Curtis - probably up to 1977. Thirty Two years on it is interesting to see how many of these records still feature on many peoples wants lists - so much quality within this list.

Thanks, Epic, for that piece of history; great music on there. I'm pleased to see the Bill Harris track on there, in particular, as I got that a few years ago, and have always wondered whether it was ever played, at an NS Venue. I also liked your comment about those who dismiss the Mecca, with the 'disco sh***' comment; still, each to their own.

I'm not too keen on 'clanky' R&B tracks myself, played at NS venues, but, there you go....

Social source share

Guest mel brat

I'll leave off posting the remaining Mecca playlists (July 1975-Dec.1976) until they're completed, (hopefully tomorrow evening).

I think "last hour" sides would probably be better as a separate listing, as the exact date of play isn't as important to the overall feel of how the Mecca playlists changed between 1974 and 1976 (which was my impulse for isolating this transitional period from the main Northern list)

Ultimately, the wider Northern Soul playlists need to be posted elsewhere on site so the info can be read and accessed easily - however, I have yet to request any permission from Mike for such a project !

Any suggestions where I should stick these lists?

Er, hang on... let me rephrase that... unsure.gifunsure.gif

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest mel brat

Mel,has anyone mentioned..

Heartstoppers -"Brainwashed by love".

Betty Baker - "Marching out of you life" ( could it be claimed by Clee ?).

Carlettes - "I'm getting tired".

Have just typed those out today! (apart from the Carlettes, which I'm unfamiliar with). Yes, I think Cleethorpes has at least as much "claim" on Betty Baker & the Jaxis as the Mecca (Ian, speak up now, or forever hold your peace!) smile.gif

The Heartstoppers was played a bit (by Colin I think). I remember it 'cos I'd bought the album "blind" from Soul Bowl just a few weeks previously, during an brief All Platinum fad! I wasn't over keen on it at the time though, and haven't heard it since.

Speaking of All Platinum, did Prophecy - "Rain In My Life" ever get a look-in prior to Thorne I wonder?

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest mel brat

This is the final section of the Mecca listings before the Jazz/Funk era. Please PM me any additions and tape listings etc....

The listings for the period 1977 onwards include those of many other funk clubs I attended, such as Chaplin's, The Ritz Alldayers, Rafters, Rum Runner, Cassanelli's etc. These may be amended and edited accordingly.

Northern Soul playlists 1970-C.1975 to be posted in due course. All further help greatly appreciated!

July 1975 - December 1975

MEL BRITT - "She'll Come Running Back" (FIP)

BILLY WOODS - "Let Me Make You Happy" (SUSSEX)

KENNY SMITH - "Lord, What's Happening To Our People" (GAR)

HUBERT LAWS - "The Chicago Theme" (CTI) New release*

ESTHER PHILLIPS - "What A Difference A Day Made" (KUDU) New release*

JESSE FISHER - "You're Not Loving A Beginner" (WAY OUT)

MAIN SQUEEZE -"Let It All Come" (ROULETTE)

WADE FLEMONS - "Jeanette" (RAMSEL)

PAT LUNDI - "Party Music" (VIGOR) New Release*

SEGMENTS OF TIME - "Memories" (SUSSEX)

BOOGIE MAN ORCHESTRA - Lady Lady Lady" (BOOGIE MAN RECORDS) New release*

DELRAYS INCORPORATED - "Destination Unknown" (TAMPETTE)

8th AVENUE BAND - "The Real Thing" (COLUMBIA)

JACK ASHFORD & The SOUND of NEW DETROIT - "Do The Choo Choo" (BLAZE) New release*

VERNON BURCH - "Frame Of Mind" (UNITED ARTISTS) New release*

ROGER COLLINS - "You Sexy Sugar Plum" (FANTASY) Recent release

LEROY HUTSON - "Ella Weez" (CURTOM) Recent release

BARNABY BYE - "Can't Live This Way" (ATLANTIC) New release*

TOBI LARK - "Happiness Is Here" (TOPPER)

BETTY WRIGHT - "If You Love Me Like You Say You Love Me" (ALSTON)

MIRACLES - "Love Machine" (TAMLA) New release*

LOLEATTA HOLLOWAY - "The World Don't Owe You Nothing" (AWARE) New release*

LEE FIELDS - "Take Me Back" (ANGLE 3)

JEFF PERRY - "Love Don't Come No Stronger" (ARISTA) New release*

CRYSTAL MOTION - "You're My Main Squeeze" (SOUND GEMS) New release*

JACKEY BEAVERS - "Trying To Get To You Girl" (GLADES) New release*

SKULLSNAPS - "I'm Your Pimp" (GSF LP) Recent release

JIMMY BURNS - "I Really Love You" (ERICA)

CROWN HEIGHTS AFFAIR - "Sex Trip" (RCA LP) Recent release

VENTURES - "Superstar Review" (UNITED ARTISTS) New release*

IDLE FEW - "People That's Why" (BLUE BOOK)

IKETTES - "Two Timin' Double Dealin" (UNITED ARTISTS)

LEN JEWEL - "All My Good Good Lovin" (PZAZZ)

OSCAR PERRY - "I Got What You Need" (PERI-TONE) New release*

ACE SPECTRUM - "Keep Holding On" (ATLANTIC) p.??

NOLAN PORTER - "Oh Baby" (ABC)

MOMENTS - "I Got The Need" (STANG LP) New release*

RIMSHOTS - "Do What You Feel" (STANG) New release*

KEVIN DRINKARD - "World World" (TEENS) Recent release

HARLEM RIVER DRIVE - "Need You" (ARISTA) New release*

CAROLYN CRAWFORD - "Just Got To Be More Careful" (PIR) New release*

O'JAYS - "I Love Music" (PIR) New release*

DAVID RUFFIN - "Walk Away from Love" etc. (MOTOWN LP) New release*

ARCHIE BELL & The DRELLS - "The Soul City Walk", "Let's Groove" (TSOP) New release*

PLAYERS - "Find My Way" (CHOCOLATE CITY) New release*

record was quickly withdrawn and re-issued with Cameo group name

BLACK NASTY - "Cut Your Motor Off" (BIG HIT) New release*

SPOOKY & SUE - "I Got The Need" (DECCA) Belgian import*

EDDIE PARKER - "Body Chains" (PRODIGAL) New release*

DOLLY GILMORE - "Sweet Sweet Lady" (DOVE) New release*

FANTASTIC PUZZLES - "Come Back" (NEW MOON) New release*

HOSANNA - "Hipit" (LHMA) New release*

JOE FRAZIER - "First Round Knockout" (MOTOWN) Recent release*

MYSTIC MOODS - "Honey Trippin" (SOUND BIRD) New release*

BETTY BAKER & JAXIS - "Marching Out Of My Life"

HEARTSTOPPERS - "Brainwashed By Love" (ALL PLATINUM LP)

LIBERTY - "Girl You Better Wake Up" (BASF) 1973 release

January - August 1976

PRINCE GEORGE - "Wrong Crowd" (DPG)

DOBIE GRAY - "Honey You Can't Take It Back" (WHITE WHALE) p.Jan

EAST COAST CONNECTION - "Summer In The Parks" (NEW DIRECTION) New release*

KIM TOLLIVER - "I Don't Know What Foot To Dance On" (CASTRO) New release*

ANDRE MAURICE - "Cream Of The Crop" (BALE) New release*

VICKIE SUE ROBINSON - "Turn The Beat Around" (RCA) New release*

BLACK NASTY - "Turn Your Motor Off" (BIG HIT) New release*

SMOKED SUGAR - "I Can't Get Enough" (20th CENTURY) New release*

SPRINGFIELD FAMILY - "The Sounds Of Disco" (ARREST) New release*

MIRACLES - "Overture" (TAMLA LP) New release*

L.V. JOHNSON - "Your Magic Put A Spell On Me" (PHILIPS pre-release)*

CROWN HEIGHTS AFFAIR - "Foxy Lady" (DE-LITE LP) New release*

SWEET BLINDNESS - "Cowboys To Girls" (QUALITY) Canadian New release*

LIVING COLOR - "Thank The Lord For Love" (MADHATTER)

DELREYS INCORPORATED - "Destination Unknown" (TAMPETE)

DOOLEY SILVERSPOON - "Game Players" (Sound Of New York LP) New release*

VAN McCOY - "Party" (H&L) New release*

MOMENTS - "Nine Times" (STANG) New release*

WALTER MURPHY & BIG APPLE BAND - "California Strut" (PRIVATE STOCK) New release*

MARK PUTNEY - "Today's Man" (ATLANTIC) 1969 release

YUM-YUMS - "Gonna Be A Big Thing" (ABC- PARAMOUNT) revival

GATURS - "Yeah You're Right, You Know You're Right" (GATUR)

aka "A Hunk Of Funk"

DALTREY MARTIN - "Everybody Dance" (SPRING) New release*

DEE DEE SHARP - "Happy 'Bout The Whole Thing" (TSOP) New release*

THIRD POINT - "Spirit" (TIDE)

ALBERT JONES - "Up To The Sun" (BUMPSHOP) New release*

JOBELL & His ORCHESTRA de SALSA - "Never Gonna Let You Go" (JAN) New release*

MILLIE JACKSON - "A House For Sale" (SPRING LP) New release*

MISTURA feat. Lloyd Michels - "The Flasher" (FUSION) New release*

RALPH CARTER - "When You're Young And In Love", "Extra Extra" etc. (MERCURY LP) New release*

INSPIRATIONS - "Nobody Can Take Your Place" (PAREE)

TAVARES - "Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel" (CAPITOL) New release*

MAURICE WILLIAMS - "Being Without You" (DEESU)

EVELYN THOMAS - "Doomsday" (TOMORROW Pre-release)*

HOKIS POKIS - "Nowhere" (SHEILD) New release*

TYRONE DAVIS - "Turning Point" (DAKAR) New release*

TODAY'S PEOPLE - "All We Need Is Time For Love" (GAMMA) Italian recording - New release*

ALFIE KHAN ORCHESTRA - "Law Of The Land" (ATLANTIC) New release*

MARBOO - "What About Love" (MIDLAND INT.) New release*

CREATIVE SOURCE - "Don't Be Afraid To Take My Love" (POLYDOR LP) New release*

RAMSEY & Co. - "Love Call" (RAMCO) New release*

DAVE NEWMAN - "Make Up Your Mind" (LOOK)

CLEVELAND EATON - "Quazar One" unreleased acetate?

BOBBY MOORE - "Try To Hold On" (SCEPTER) New release*

ISAAC HAYES - "Disco Connection" (HBS LP) New release*

DEBORAH ANDERSON - "Funny How We Changed Places" (MUSICOR) confirmation needed/last hour?

JEANNIE TRACY - "Making New Friends" (BROWN DOOR) confirmation needed/last hour?

Additional New Releases included:

BENNY TROY - "I Wanna Give You Tomorrow" (DE-LITE) Feb.

TERRY WEISS - "Keep On Pushing Your Love" (PLATINUM) Jan/Feb.

DEE DEE WARWICK - "Funny How We Changed Places" (PRIVATE STOCK) Mar/April

Later released as DeDe Schwartz on RCA

UNDISPUTED TRUTH - "You + Me = Love" (WHITFIELD) 12"

C.September - December 1976

RONNIE McNEIR - "Sitting In My Class" (DETO)

GWEN OWENS - "Just Say You're Wanted And Needed" (VELGO)

HERBERT HUNTER - "I Was Born To Love You" (SPAR)

CLIFFORD CURRY - "Body Shop" (BUDDAH) New release*

PHASE II - "The First Shot" (OSIRIS) New release*

STANLEY WOODRUFF - "What Took You So Long" (JULDANE) New release*

EMANON'S ORCHESTRA - "Bird Walkin" (Label?)

KATHY GREEN - "Love City" (MOTOWN) New release*

TURN OF THE CENTURY - "Money Can't" (BUMPSHOP)

AL De LORY - "Right On" (CAPITOL)

BETTY LLOYD - "I'm Catching On" (BRC)

ROTATIONS - "A Changed Man" (FRANTIC)

DON GARDNER - "Cheatin' Kind" (SEDGRICK)

RUFUS WOODS - "Before 2001" (ESPANOLA)

JUDY FREEMAN & BLACKROCK - "Hold On" (RCA) 1972 release

JOHNNIE WILLIAMS - "Something Kind Of Mellow" (BABYLON) Recent release

JIMMY MACK - "A Woman Is Hard To Understand" (HAMSTER)

MYSTERY MEN - "City Skies" (Label?)

SAMMY LEE - "What Goes Around, Comes Around" (PROMCO) New release*(?)

BANG GANG - "Who Said Honky Ain't Got Soul" (WARNER BROS.) New release*

JAMES WELLS - "Baby I'm Still The Same Man" (pre-release)*

ALVIN CASH - "Ali Shuffle" (DAKAR) New release* Sept.

BARBARA PENNINGTON - "Twenty-Four Hours A Day" (pre-release)*

D.C. LARUE - Cathedrals" (PYRAMID 12") New release*

BOBBY WOMACK - "I Don't Know (What The World Is Coming To)" (UNITED ARTISTS)

JAKKI - "Sun Sun Sun" (PYRAMID 12") New release*

C. HENRY WOODS TROUPE - "The Stranger" (ENYX) New release*

BUFFALO SMOKE (feat. Lou Courtney) - "Stubborn Kind Of Fellow" (RCA 12") New release*

EL COCO - "Let's Get It Together" (AVI) New release*

SIDNEY THOMAS - "Look Let's Make Love" (PARALLEL) New release*

NIGHTS - "When You Dropped Your Guard (Love Knocks You Down)" (LITTLE STAR LP) New release*

SALSOUL ORCHESTRA - "Salsoul 2001" (SALSOUL 12") New release*

FOUR BELOW ZERO - "My Baby's Got ESP" (P&P/ROULETTE) New release*

BROTHERS - "Were You Ready For That"/"Brother's Theme" (RCA/SUNBAR LP) New release*

MIAMI - "Kill That Roach" (DRIVE) New release*

LALO SCHIFFRIN - "Theme From Jaws" (CTI LP) New release*

JAMES BYNUM - "Time Passes By" (PHILLY CITY) New release*

CATCH - "Mr. Nice Guy" (LK) New release*

DOUBLE EXPOSURE - "Ten Per Cent" (SALSOUL 12") New release*

WEAPONS OF PEACE - "It Just Can't Be This Way" (PLAYBOY) New release*

EMOTIONS - "I Don't Wanna Lose Your Love" (COLUMBIA) New release*

EARTH, WIND & FIRE - "Biyo" (COLUMBIA LP) New release*

DONNY GERRARD - "He's Always Somewhere Around" (GREEDY) New release*

ROBERTA KELLY - "Trouble Maker" (OASIS) New release*

DR. BUZZARD'S SAVANNAH BAND - "I'll Play The Fool"/"Chercez La Femme" etc. (RCA LP) New release*

POP-A-GROOVE - "Dance Your Ass Off" (SFO) New release (demo)*

WILLIE J. & Co. - "Boogie With Your Baby (Inst.)" (KI KI) New release*

STRATAVARIOUS - "I Got Your Love" (Canadian POLYDOR 7") New release*

TOWER OF POWER - "You Ought To Be Having Fun" (COLUMBIA) New release*

ESTHER WILLIAMS - "You Got To Let Me Show You" (FRIENDS & Co.) New release*

DONNA SUMMER - "Spring Affair" (CASABLANCA) New release*

GENTLEMEN & THEIR LADY - "Like Her" (ROULETTE) New release*

LEE RITENOUR - "A Little Bit Of This, A Little Bit Of That" (EPIC LP) New release*

VICKIE SUE ROBINSON - "Daylight" (RCA) New release*

SOUL TRAIN GANG - "Theme From Soul Train" (SOUL TRAIN) New release*

LIFE USA - "Foxy Trot" (BUDDAH) New release* Sept/Oct.

CLOUD ONE - "Atmosphere Strut" (P&P 12") New release* Sept/Oct.

ROSE ROYCE - "Car Wash" (MCA Soundtrack LP) New release* Oct.

HEART & SOUL - "You Got Me Goin" (PIP 12") New release*

HOUSTON PERSON - "Dancing Feet" (MERCURY) New release*

RUBY ANDREWS - "I Got A Bone To Pick With You" (ABC) New release*

SIDE EFFECT - "Always There" (FANTASY LP) New release*

RARE PLEASURE - "Let Me Down Easy" (CHERI 12") New release*

JERMAINE JACKSON - "Space Odyssey" (MOTOWN LP) New release*

RALPH MacDONALD - "Calypso Breakdown" (MARLIN LP) New release*

BESSIE BANKS - "Don't You Worry Baby (The Best Is Yet To Come)" (QUALITY) New release*

TAVARES - "Don't Take Away The Music" (CAPITOL LP) New release*

JEAN NAPOLI - "Let's Make Love" (VIGOR 12" New release*

WEBSTER LEWIS - "Theme" (EPIC) New release*

BOBBY WOMACK - "Home Is Where The Heart Is" (COLUMBIA) New release*

CAROL TOWNES & FIFTH AVENUE - "If You Leave Me" (SIXTH AVENUE) New release*

DENIECE WILLIAMS - "It's Important To Me" (COLUMBIA LP) New release*

M.F.S.B. - "Kay-Gee" (PIR LP) New release*

STEVE MARSHALL - "Maintain" (REYNOLDS 12") New release*

DEXTER WANSEL - "Life On Mars" (PIR LP) New release*

WHIRLWIND - "Full Time Thing" (ROULETTE 12") New release*

GLASS FAMILY - "Smoke Your Troubles Away" (EARHOLE) New release*

LATIMORE - "Something 'Bout Cha" (GLADES) New release*

JIMMY JONES - "Ain't Nothing Wrong Making Love" (CONCHILLO) New release*

BILL BRANDON - "Streets Got My Lady" (PIEDMONT) New release*

VESSIE SIMMONS - "I Can Make It On My Own" (SIMCO) New release*

DENISE LaSALLE - "I Get What I Want" (ABC) New release*

NORMA JENKINS - "Can You Imagine That" (DESERT MOON) New release*

BRASS CONSTRUCTION - "Ha Cha Cha (Function)" (UNITED ARTISTS) New release*

KOOL & The GANG - "Open Sesame" (DE-LITE LP/12") New release*

LITTLE BEAVER - "Listen To My Heartbeat" (CAT) confirmation?

BRICK - "Dazz" (BANG) New release*

JEAN CARN - "Time Waits For No One" (PIR LP) New release*

EDDIE KENDRICKS - "Going Up In Smoke" (TAMLA) New release*

SKIP MAHOANEY & CASUALS - "Running Away From Love" (ABET) + 12" New release*

CHUCK STEPHENS - "Let's Get Nasty" (EAST COAST) New release*

The new "official Mecca ender", replacing "California Montage" C.Autumn 1976

The following new releases were also buzzing around...

PHILADELPHIA AMBASSADORS - "Girl I Love Everything About You" (PIP)

ROCKGAZERS - "I Believe In Love" (SIXTH AVENUE)

SPACEARK - "Do What You Can Do" (COLORWORLD)

FREDDIE HUGHES - "Don't You Leave" (GREG-UH-RUDY)

MIKE & BILL - "Where Do I Stand" (YORK)

RUMPUS - "My Love's Gonna Get You" (DASH)

SILVER, PLATINUM & GOLD - "Just Friends" (FARR)

Playlists from 1977 onwards: See Jazz-Funk Listings.

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

This is the final section of the Mecca listings before the Jazz/Funk era. Please PM me any additions and tape listings etc....

The listings for the period 1977 onwards include those of many other funk clubs I attended, such as Chaplin's, The Ritz Alldayers, Rafters, Rum Runner, Cassanelli's etc. These may be amended and edited accordingly.

Northern Soul playlists 1970-C.1975 to be posted in due course. All further help greatly appreciated!

July 1975 - December 1975

MEL BRITT - "She'll Come Running Back" (FIP)

BILLY WOODS - "Let Me Make You Happy" (SUSSEX)

KENNY SMITH - "Lord, What's Happening To Our People" (GAR)

HUBERT LAWS - "The Chicago Theme" (CTI) New release*

ESTHER PHILLIPS - "What A Difference A Day Made" (KUDU) New release*

JESSE FISHER - "You're Not Loving A Beginner" (WAY OUT)

MAIN SQUEEZE -"Let It All Come" (ROULETTE)

WADE FLEMONS - "Jeanette" (RAMSEL)

PAT LUNDI - "Party Music" (VIGOR) New Release*

SEGMENTS OF TIME - "Memories" (SUSSEX)

BOOGIE MAN ORCHESTRA - Lady Lady Lady" (BOOGIE MAN RECORDS) New release*

DELRAYS INCORPORATED - "Destination Unknown" (TAMPETTE)

8th AVENUE BAND - "The Real Thing" (COLUMBIA)

JACK ASHFORD - "Do The Choo Choo" (BLAZE) New release*

VERNON BURCH - "Frame Of Mind" (UNITED ARTISTS) New release*

ROGER COLLINS - "You Sexy Sugar Plum" (FANTASY) Recent release

LEROY HUTSON - "Ella Weez" (CURTOM) Recent release

BARNABY BYE - "Can't Live This Way" (ATLANTIC) New release*

TOBI LARK - "Happiness Is Here" (TOPPER)

BETTY WRIGHT - "If You Love Me Like You Say You Love Me" (ALSTON)

MIRACLES - "Love Machine" (TAMLA) New release*

LOLEATTA HOLLOWAY - "The World Don't Owe You Nothing" (AWARE) New release*

LEE FIELDS - "Take Me Back" (ANGLE 3)

JEFF PERRY - "Love Don't Come No Stronger" (ARISTA) New release*

CRYSTAL MOTION - "You're My Main Squeeze" (SOUND GEMS) New release*

JACKEY BEAVERS - "Trying To Get To You Girl" (GLADES) New release*

SKULLSNAPS - "I'm Your Pimp" (GSF LP) Recent release

JIMMY BURNS - "I Really Love You" (ERICA)

CROWN HEIGHTS AFFAIR - "Sex Trip" (RCA LP) Recent release

VENTURES - "Superstar Review" (UNITED ARTISTS) New release*

IDLE FEW - "People That's Why" (BLUE BOOK)

IKETTES - "Two Timin' Double Dealin" (UNITED ARTISTS)

LEN JEWEL - "All My Good Good Lovin" (PZAZZ)

OSCAR PERRY - "I Got What You Need" (PERI-TONE) New release*

ACE SPECTRUM - "Keep Holding On" (ATLANTIC) p.??

NOLAN PORTER - "Oh Baby" (ABC)

MOMENTS - "I Got The Need" (STANG LP) New release*

RIMSHOTS - "Do What You Feel" (STANG) New release*

KEVIN DRINKARD - "World World" (TEENS) Recent release

HARLEM RIVER DRIVE - "Need You" (ARISTA) New release*

CAROLYN CRAWFORD - "Just Got To Be More Careful" (PIR) New release*

O'JAYS - "I Love Music" (PIR) New release*

DAVID RUFFIN - "Walk Away from Love" etc. (MOTOWN LP) New release*

ARCHIE BELL & The DRELLS - "The Soul City Walk", "Let's Groove" (TSOP) New release*

PLAYERS - "Find My Way" (CHOCOLATE CITY) New release*

record was quickly withdrawn and re-issued with Cameo group name

BLACK NASTY - "Cut Your Motor Off" (BIG HIT) New release*

SPOOKY & SUE - "I Got The Need" (DECCA) Belgian import*

EDDIE PARKER - "Body Chains" (PRODIGAL) New release*

DOLLY GILMORE - "Sweet Sweet Lady" (DOVE) New release*

FANTASTIC PUZZLES - "Come Back" (NEW MOON) New release*

HOSANNA - "Hipit" (LHMA) New release*

JOE FRAZIER - "First Round Knockout" (MOTOWN) Recent release*

MYSTIC MOODS - "Honey Trippin" (SOUND BIRD) New release*

BETTY ? & JAXIS - "Marching Out Of My Life"

HEARTSTOPPERS - "Brainwashed By Love" (ALL PLATINUM LP)

LIBERTY - "Girl You Better Wake Up" (BHSF)

January - August 1976

PRINCE GEORGE - "Wrong Crowd" (DPG)

DOBIE GRAY - "Honey You Can't Take It Back" (WHITE WHALE) p.Jan

EAST COAST CONNECTION - "Summer In The Parks" (NEW DIRECTION) New release*

KIM TOLLIVER - "I Don't Know What Foot To Dance On" (CASTRO) New release*

ANDRE MAURICE - "Cream Of The Crop" (BALE) New release*

VICKIE SUE ROBINSON - "Turn The Beat Around" (RCA) New release*

BLACK NASTY - "Turn Your Motor Off" (BIG HIT) New release*

SMOKED SUGAR - "I Can't Get Enough" (20th CENTURY) New release*

MIRACLES - "Overture" (TAMLA LP) New release*

L.V. JOHNSON - "Your Magic Put A Spell On Me" (PHILIPS pre-release)*

CROWN HEIGHTS AFFAIR - "Foxy Lady" (DE-LITE LP) New release*

SWEET BLINDNESS - "Cowboys To Girls" (QUALITY) Canadian New release*

LIVING COLOR - "Thank The Lord For Love" (MADHATTER)

DELREYS INCORPORATED - "Destination Unknown" (TAMPETE)

DOOLEY SILVERSPOON - "Game Players" (Sound Of New York LP) New release*

VAN McCOY - "Party" (H&L) New release*

MOMENTS - "Nine Times" (STANG) New release*

WALTER MURPHY & BIG APPLE BAND - "California Strut" (PRIVATE STOCK) New release*

MARK PUTNEY - "Today's Man" (ATLANTIC) 1969 release

YUM-YUMS - "Gonna Be A Big Thing" (ABC- PARAMOUNT) revival

GATURS - "Yeah You're Right, You Know You're Right" (GATUR)

aka "A Hunk Of Funk"

DALTREY MARTIN - "Everybody Dance" (SPRING) New release*

DEE DEE SHARP - "Happy 'Bout The Whole Thing" (TSOP) New release*

THIRD POINT - "Spirit" (TIDE)

ALBERT JONES - "Up To The Sun" (BUMPSHOP) New release*

JOBELL & His ORCHESTRA de SALSA - "Never Gonna Let You Go" (JAN) New release*

MILLIE JACKSON - "A House For Sale" (SPRING LP) New release*

MISTURA feat. Lloyd Michels - "The Flasher" (FUSION) New release*

RALPH CARTER - "WhenYou're Young And In Love", "Extra Extra" etc. (MERCURY LP) New release*

INSPIRATIONS - "Nobody Can Take Your Place" (PAREE)

TAVARES - "Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel" (CAPITOL) New release*

MAURICE WILLIAMS - "Being Without You" (DEESU)

EVELYN THOMAS - "Doomsday" (TOMORROW Pre-release)*

HOKIS POKIS - "Nowhere" (SHEILD) New release*

TYRONE DAVIS - "Turning Point" (DAKAR) New release*

TODAY'S PEOPLE - "All We Need Is Time For Love" (GAMMA) Italian recording - New release*

ALFIE KHAN ORCHESTRA - "Law Of The Land" (ATLANTIC) New release*

MARBOO - "What About Love" (MIDLAND INT.) New release*

CREATIVE SOURCE - "Don't Be Afraid To Take My Love" (POLYDOR LP) New release*

RAMSEY & Co. - "Love Call" (RAMCO) New release*

DAVE NEWMAN - "Make Up Your Mind" (LOOK)

CLEVELAND EATON - "Quazar One" unreleased acetate?

BOBBY MOORE - "Try To Hold On" (SCEPTER) New release*

ISAAC HAYES - "Disco Connection" (HBS LP) New release*

DEBORAH ANDERSON - "Funny How We Changed Places" (MUSICOR) confirmation needed/last hour?

JEANNIE TRACY - "Making New Friends" (BROWN DOOR) confirmation needed/last hour?

Additional New Releases included:

BENNY TROY - "I Wanna Give You Tomorrow" (DE-LITE) Feb.

TERRY WEISS - "Keep On Pushing Your Love" (PLATINUM) Jan/Feb.

DEE DEE WARWICK - "Funny How We Changed Places" (PRIVATE STOCK) Mar/April

Later released as DeDe Schwartz on RCA

UNDISPUTED TRUTH - "You + Me = Love" (WHITFIELD) 12"

C.September - December 1976

RONNIE McNEIR - "Sitting In My Class" (DETO)

GWEN OWENS - "Just Say You're Wanted And Needed" (VELGO)

HERBERT HUNTER - "I Was Born To Love You" (SPAR)

CLIFFORD CURRY - "Body Shop" (BUDDAH) New release*

PHASE II - "The First Shot" (OSIRIS) New release*

STANLEY WOODRUFF - "What Took You So Long" (JULDANE) New release*

EMANON'S ORCHESTRA - "Bird Walkin" (Label?)

KATHY GREEN - "Love City" (MOTOWN) New release*

TURN OF THE CENTURY - "Money Can't" (BUMPSHOP)

AL De LORY - "Right On" (CAPITOL)

BETTY LLOYD - "I'm Catching On" (BRC)

ROTATIONS - "A Changed Man" (FRANTIC)

DON GARDNER - "Cheatin' Kind" (SEDGRICK)

RUFUS WOODS - "Before 2001" (ESPANOLA)

JUDY FREEMAN & BLACKROCK - "Hold On" (RCA) 1972 release

JOHNNIE WILLIAMS - "Something Kind Of Mellow" (BABYLON) Recent release

JIMMY MACK - "A Woman Is Hard To Understand" (HAMSTER)

MYSTERY MEN - "City Skies" (Label ?)

SAMMY LEE - "What Goes Around, Comes Around" (PROMCO) New release*(?)

BANG GANG - "Who Said Honky Ain't Got Soul" (WARNER BROS.) New release*

JAMES WELLS - "Baby I'm Still The Same Man" (pre-release)*

ALVIN CASH - "Ali Shuffle" (DAKAR) New release* Sept.

BARBARA PENNINGTON - "Twenty-Four Hours A Day" (pre-release)*

D.C. LARUE - Cathedrals" (PYRAMID 12") New release*

BOBBY WOMACK - "I Don't Know (What The World Is Coming To)" (UNITED ARTISTS)

JAKKI - "Sun Sun Sun" (PYRAMID 12") New release*

C. HENRY WOODS TROUPE - "The Stranger" (ENYX) New release*

BUFFALO SMOKE (feat. Lou Courtney) - "Stubborn Kind Of Fellow" (RCA 12") New release*

EL COCO - "Let's Get It Together" (AVI) New release*

SIDNEY THOMAS - "Look L:et's Make Love" (PARALLEL) New release*

NIGHTS - "When You Dropped Your Guard (Love Knocks You Down)" (LITTLE STAR LP) New release*

SALSOUL ORCHESTRA - "Salsoul 2001" (SALSOUL 12") New release*

FOUR BELOW ZERO - "My Baby's Got ESP" (P&P/ROULETTE) New release*

BROTHERS - "Were You Ready For That"/"Brother's Theme" (RCA/SUNBAR LP) New release*

MIAMI - "Kill That Roach" (DRIVE) New release*

LALO SCHIFFRIN - "Theme From Jaws" (CTI LP) New release*

JAMES BYNUM - "Time Passes By" (PHILLY CITY) New release*

CATCH - "Mr. Nice Guy" (TI) New release*

DOUBLE EXPOSURE - "Ten Per Cent" (SALSOUL 12") New release*

WEAPONS OF PEACE - "It Just Can't Be This Way" (PLAYBOY) New release*

EMOTIONS - "I Don't Wanna Lose Your Love" (COLUMBIA) New release*

EARTH, WIND & FIRE - "Biyo" (COLUMBIA LP) New release*

DONNY GERRARD - "He's Always Somewhere Around" (GREEDY) New release*

ROBERTA KELLY - "Trouble Maker" (OASIS) New release*

DR. BUZZARD'S SAVANNAH BAND - "I'll Play The Fool"/"Chercez La Femme" etc. (RCA LP) New release*

POP-A-GROOVE - "Dance Your Ass Off" (SFO) New release (demo)*

WILLIE J. & Co. - "Boogie With Your Baby (Inst.)" (KI KI) New release*

STRATAVARIOUS - "I Got Your Love" (Canadian POLYDOR 7") New release*

TOWER OF POWER - "You Ought To Be Having Fun" (COLUMBIA) New release*

ESTHER WILLIAMS - "You Got To Let Me Show You" (FRIENDS & Co.) New release*

DONNA SUMMER - "Spring Affair" (CASABLANCA) New release*

GENTLEMEN & THEIR LADY - "Like Her" (ROULETTE) New release*

LEE RITENOUR - "A Little Bit Of This, A Little Bit Of That" (EPIC LP) New release*

VICKIE SUE ROBINSON - "Daylight" (RCA) New release*

SOUL TRAIN GANG - "Theme From Soul Train" (SOUL TRAIN) New release*

LIFE USA - "Foxy Trot" (BUDDAH) New release* Sept/Oct.

CLOUD ONE - "Atmosphere Strut" (P&P 12") New release* Sept/Oct.

ROSE ROYCE - "Car Wash" (MCA Soundtrack LP) New release* Oct.

HEART & SOUL - "You Got Me Goin" (PIP 12") New release*

HOUSTON PERSON - "Dancing Feet" (MERCURY) New release*

RUBY ANDREWS - "I Got A Bone To Pick With You" (ABC) New release*

SIDE EFFECT - "Always There" (FANTASY LP) New release*

RARE PLEASURE - "Let Me Down Easy" (CHERI 12") New release*

JERMAINE JACKSON - "Space Odyssey" (MOTOWN LP) New release*

RALPH MacDONALD - "Calypso Breakdown" (MARLIN LP) New release*

BESSIE BANKS - "Don't You Worry Baby (The Best Is Yet To Come)" (QUALITY) New release*

TAVARES - "Don't Take Away The Music" (CAPITOL LP) New release*

JEAN NAPOLI - "Let's Make Love" (VIGOR 12" New release*

WEBSTER LEWIS - "Theme" (EPIC) New release*

BOBBY WOMACK - "Home Is Where The Heart Is" (COLUMBIA) New release*

CAROL TOWNES & FIFTH AVENUE - "If You Leave Me" (SIXTH AVENUE) New release*

DENIECE WILLIAMS - "It's Important To Me" (COLUMBIA LP) New release*

M.F.S.B. - "Kay-Gee" (PIR LP) New release*

STEVE MARSHALL - "Maintain" (REYNOLDS 12") New release*

DEXTER WANSEL - "Life On Mars" (PIR LP) New release*

WHIRLWIND - "Full Time Thing" (ROULETTE 12") New release*

GLASS FAMILY - "Smoke Your Troubles Away" (EARHOLE) New release*

LATIMORE - "Something 'Bout Cha" (GLADES) New release*

JIMMY JONES - "Ain't Nothing Wrong Making Love" (CONCHILLO) New release*

BILL BRANDON - "Streets Got My Lady" (PIEDMONT) New release*

VESSIE SIMMONS - "I Can Make It On My Own" (SIMCO) New release*

DENISE LaSALLE - "I Get What I Want" (ABC) New release*

NORMA JENKINS - "Can You Imagine That" (DESERT MOON) New release*

BRASS CONSTRUCTION - "Ha Cha Cha (Function)" (UNITED ARTISTS) New release*

KOOL & The GANG - "Open Sesame" (DE-LITE LP/12") New release*

LITTLE BEAVER - "Listen To My Heartbeat" (CAT) confirmation?

BRICK - "Dazz" (BANG) New release*

JEAN CARN - "Time Waits For No One" (PIR LP) New release*

EDDIE KENDRICKS - "Going Up In Smoke" (TAMLA) New release*

SKIP MAHOANEY & CASUALS - "Running Away From Love" (ABET) + 12" New release*

CHUCK STEPHENS - "Let's Get Nasty" (EAST COAST) New release*

The new "official Mecca ender", replacing "California Montage" C.Autumn 1976

The following new releases were also buzzing around...

PHILADELPHIA AMBASSADORS - "Girl I Love Everything About You" (PIP)

ROCKGAZERS - "I Believe In Love" (SIXTH AVENUE)

SPACEARK - "Do What You Can Do" (COLORWORLD)

FREDDIE HUGHES - "Don't You Leave" (GREG-UH-RUDY)

MIKE & BILL - "Where Do I Stand" (YORK)

RUMPUS - "My Love's Gonna Get You" (DASH)

SILVER, PLATINUM & GOLD - "Just Friends" (FARR)

Playlists from 1977 onwards: See Jazz-Funk Listings.

Brilliant listings Mel , how about Joseph Moore "I still can't get to you " [ MAR - V- LUS ] which Ian was championing in his Black Music column in the mid 70's ? Has Margo Thunder " Soul of a woman " and Paul Humphrey " Cochise " been mentioned [ sorry if I've missed them ] .I def. heard them on my first visit to the Mecca in September [ 28th ] 1974 along with The Present " Many's the slip " [ Phillips ] which we requested as we hadn't heard it before [ touted as the vocal to Bok to Bach at the time ] Remember Ian saying "I'll play it but it's not very good ". Best wishes ,Eddie"

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Late addition!* - MIROSLAV VITOUS - New York City" (WARNER BROS. LP) New release*

(mid-1976?)

*Thanks to Colin Joesbury

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Thanks to all for the brilliant lists, especially Mel for the chronological playlists :D

Brill thread this, have read it with real interest. This is bringing so many memories back for me from my time as a young pup in early '73 onwards. Thankfully a lot of the older lads & lasses from our way were attending The Torch, Wigan & The Mecca, so we always got a good & broad idea of what was going on across the scene at an early age!

I had loads of records in me head to list but everytime i came up with a record that wasn't listed, someone came in and bagged it!

Thought i was onto a winner with 'The Zoo' early on but someone listed it later on! That record made me realise the gulf that existed between Wigan & The Mecca even back then.

That B & S scan of the Colin Curtis/Dave Godin article I must have read 100 times back then. Lou Edwards & Jesse Fisher being records I would never part with! By the way, from the same article, did Patsy Gallant - Get that ball, make it to the lists?

Brill thread, thanks again :P

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Guest mel brat

did Patsy Gallant - Get that ball, make it to the lists?

Brill thread, thanks again :D

Cheers

Steve

Patsy Gallant didn't make the list. Now it has. Thanks! UK CBS if I recall correctly, 1976? Do you have a date for this? Was it played on a UK label, etc.? - Whatever...

There are more omissions. Colin Joesbury reckons Roscoe & Friends "Broadway Sissy" on TEC (1976?)

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest mel brat

a lot of the older lads & lasses from our way were attending The Torch, Wigan & The Mecca, so we always got a good & broad idea of what was going on across the scene at an early age...

Cheers

Steve

Good Mr. Plumb. Keep 'em in mind for the fuller "Northern Soul listing 1970-74", which is where we'll need considerable help from all "SAGA Soulies" still upright and coherent!! :D

Social source share

this was never played on arrest that was a different and shorter mix it was a white promo with no label name, the inferior arrest version was less stringy the version played was called the 'sound of the disco ROCK' it was then promoed on w/d on arrest and then released [both were the new mix but promos were shorter] both promos are hard to find, i gave an original promo to ewan at milliondollardisco and he did a nice re-edit on it on one of the discodemand releases also when the site is back up i gave him a mecca tape to put there which includes the original mix hopefully itll still be there tho im sure it will be.

oh and by the way its the stringfield family

Edited by ric-tic
Social source share

Guest mel brat

Yes you're absolutely right about it being the STRINGfield Family. (Typing error I guess - or maybe it was seeing Dusty Springfield on the Motown TV progs!) I didn't know about the white promo version, but it's a fair cop!

(Arrest...cop.. gettit?) :P:D

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!