Blackpool Mecca

Simsy

I think it was Flanny who played this by 'The Rhinestones' on 20th Century at the last Orwell (Christmas) - sounded OK played out

Mike

I hadn't realised there was another version Mike - be interesting to compare if anyone can post it.

Cheers Manus

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Have read through many pages over the last few weeks, but dont recall spotting a mention of any Blood Hollins tunes.........any of these ring any bells.

"How Have You Been" - RCA

"Dont Give It Up" - Strange Fruit

Both released around 75/76 ish. Anyone confirm this or sorry if these have been previously listed :thumbsup: .

Social source share

Guest Darks

Cheers Mike - a lot more laid back that Pat Lundy's and blue eyed I think but not a bad version - but Pat's is the take for me.

Manus

There is a version by Ron Keith which is the a side of the awesome "gotta go by what you tell me". It is written by the great Mellisa Manchester who must have done the original version on one of her early albums. Both ok but not in the same league as Pat Lundy in terms of a dance record.

Regards Alan

Social source share

There is a version by Ron Keith which is the a side of the awesome "gotta go by what you tell me". It is written by the great Mellisa Manchester who must have done the original version on one of her early albums. Both ok but not in the same league as Pat Lundy in terms of a dance record.

Regards Alan

Cheers Alan so there must be 4 versions then if Melissa Manchesters exists.

Manus

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Have read through many pages over the last few weeks, but dont recall spotting a mention of any Blood Hollins tunes.........any of these ring any bells.

"How Have You Been" - RCA

"Dont Give It Up" - Strange Fruit

Both released around 75/76 ish. Anyone confirm this or sorry if these have been previously listed :) .

Yes, I believe that "Don't Give It Up" on Strange Fruit (which also came out on 12") may have got spins C.mid-late '76 - but I'm not sure that "How Have You Been" (which was an earlier release) got any action... though it could have been spun during the last hour sessions I suppose. Fabulous record anyway - both vocal and instrumental sides!

It's a real coincidence that you should mention (Everett) Blood Hollins as I've just been staggered by hearing the Jack Sass Band in J. Manship's auction - it's a dead copy/rip-off of "How Have You Been" - but not half as good!

I'd be interested to see the writer's credits on the Jack Sass Band, and also what someone will eventually pay for this second-rate version just 'cos it's "rare"!

Also, I accidently omitted Johnny Hammond when re-typing the listing for mid-late '76. "Los Conquistadores Chocolates" (MILESTONE LP) Absolute classic jazz/funk, and another one of my faves. (Apologies to anyone who mentioned it previously!)

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest mel brat

Since theres no doubt - Chris Jackson - Soul City acetate (sent up by Godin?)late 74/early 75. same backing track as Total Eclipse

I always thought this was a Inter-City Soul Club (or maybe Cleethorpes) "exclusive"?? - Mainly 'cos Dave and Ian were not on the best of terms at the time! :)

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Anyone got any old (SB) lists they'd like to post? They'd be very interesting :ohmy:

They would indeed... but don't post 'em on this thread please! biggrin.gif

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

It's a real coincidence that you should mention (Everett) Blood Hollins as I've just been staggered by hearing the Jack Sass Band in J. Manship's auction - it's a dead copy/rip-off of "How Have You Been" - but not half as good!

I'd be interested to see the writer's credits on the Jack Sass Band, and also what someone will eventually pay for this second-rate version just 'cos it's "rare"!

Hiya Mel,

Jack Sass Band - Where Is The Love You Promised Me (Vocal on the B side on Visa Records V1000), as requested Mel, produced by Morty Craft and writing credits of Vaughan, Murphy, Cope and Chisholm. A Saturn Enterprises Prod copy write 1977. Top side is the instrumental version of Where Is The Love - but is entitled - Dancing.

Hope that's of some help Mel.

I mentioned this record only last sunday on Northern Nev's Auction Mentallity thread.......................if not a little in keeping with the issue raised in that thread, but still worth raising a shout :ohmy: .

Cheers,

Nick.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Few more sprung to mind

Don't Let 'Em Tell You - Brothers & Sisters

Boo On You - Chuck Jones & Company

There Must Be A Love Somewhere - Ede Robin

Thanks, but the last two are listed - I've clean forgotten the label for Brother's and Sisters though. Was this played mid-1975-ish, 1976? It's another one I haven't heard in donkey's years!

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Thanks, but the last two are listed - I've clean forgotten the label for Brother's and Sisters though. Was this played mid-1975-ish, 1976? It's another one I haven't heard in donkey's years!

It's on Nickel - Richard played it at Wigan a few times as well. Another record around about that time on the same label is "Instrumental # 1"

Social source share

It's on Nickel - Richard played it at Wigan a few times as well. Another record around about that time on the same label is "Instrumental # 1"

Andy - Any Idea whats the difference between the Blue label ones and the Green & Yellow Copies

I have a Blue one of the Brothers & sisters but have another record on that label that is Yellow Green

Social source share

Andy - Any Idea whats the difference between the Blue label ones and the Green & Yellow Copies

I have a Blue one of the Brothers & sisters but have another record on that label that is Yellow Green

My old copy of Brothers & Sisters is yellow with green writing (as below) & "Instrumental#1" is on the blue label.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/_63w9728YzZ8/Rr4n...1600-h/CLS2.bmp

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/_yXbx8UpP6U4/SZHc...tal+%23+One.jpg

There is a copy of of Brothers & Sisters on Manship & that is on the blue label.

Edited by epic
Social source share

Guest mel brat

My old copy of Brothers & Sisters is yellow with green writing...

Thanks for that. I remember it now that I can see it! :g:

(The label even LOOKS obscure doesn't it?)

Another little aside re. Brenda Lee Jones... I'm convinced the striking intro to "You're The Love Of My Life" was lifted from a piece of classical music (by a Russian composer I think!) Does anyone know the title of the original piece of music?

PS. This is not a quiz!

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Brothers and Sisters is on the 1976 tape list I sent you :thumbsup:

Social source share

I always thought this was a Inter-City Soul Club (or maybe Cleethorpes) "exclusive"?? - Mainly 'cos Dave and Ian were not on the best of terms at the time! unsure.gif

Mel

It was played in the HR for sure always was under the impression it was Godins - maybe he lent it to Colin(rather than Ian !).

Maybe same as Steve Karmen - Godin to Colin?(via Alf Billingham who brought it up.) The Crow was also played in HR (acetate?) as again did DG have at one time the only known copy?

Regards

Alex

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Mel

It was played in the HR for sure always was under the impression it was Godins - maybe he lent it to Colin(rather than Ian !).

Maybe same as Steve Karmen - Godin to Colin?(via Alf Billingham who brought it up.) The Crow was also played in HR (acetate?) as again did DG have at one time the only known copy?

Regards

Alex

Yes, I do remember hearing the Crow at the Mecca - I think Ian had revived "Midnight Brew" (uncovered) around the same time, as it went just as well with the "newer"playlist! No idea where he got the Crow from though, as Godin was supposed to have the only copy around at that time. However, with Ian's resources...

Social source share

Yes, I do remember hearing the Crow at the Mecca - I think Ian had revived "Midnight Brew" (uncovered) around the same time, as it went just as well with the "newer"playlist! No idea where he got the Crow from though, as Godin was supposed to have the only copy around at that time. However, with Ian's resources...

The Crow def Mecca,also spun at Yarmuff around the same time by John Kojak Harvey.Same copy?

Social source share

Guest mel brat

The Crow def Mecca,also spun at Yarmuff around the same time by John Kojak Harvey.Same copy?

If the Crow was played at any of John Harvey's "Inter City Soul Club' venues (C.1975), it would definitely have been Dave Godin's copy.

PS. Did I include Santiago "Mr. Love" (AMHERST, 1976) in the above listings?

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

• 10 months later...

Oo-err! Only a year behind on this one!whistling.gif

A few I don't think have been mentioned:

Spooner & The Spoons - Wish You Didn't Have To Go - Fame

Luscious 3 - Take Me As I Am - T'Suga Rays

JJ Jackson - Let Me Try Again - Magna-Glide

Isaac Taylor - I'm Tired Of These Changes - Ronn

Carlena Williams - I Won't Be Completely Happy - Veniece

Masterfleet - Well (Phase 1) - Sussex

Zulema - Just Look What You Have Done - RCA

South Shore Commission - Free Man - Wand/Scepter

Intrepids - After You've Had Your Fling - Columbia

Mighty Tom Cats - Finger In It - Winley

Back into hibernation then!

Cheers.

Tank

Social source share

[OLoads of stuff here I'd love to hear out but dont too!

Mamie Galore No Right To Cry

Ramsey And Co Love Call

Bobby Taylor There Are Roses Somewhere In This World

Paulette Reeves Jazz Freak

Dorothy Morrison I Cant Go On Without You

James Bynum Time Passes By

Lynn Vernado Wash And Wear Love

Ann Peebles If This Is Heaven

Diane Jenkins Tow a Way Zone

Diane Jenkins I Need You

The Nights Love Knocked You Down

Little Beaver Listen To My HeartBeat

Quadraphonics Betcha If You Check It Out

Bessie Banks Dont You Worry Baby

Stevens And Foster I Wanna Be Loved

Pete Warner I just Wanna Spend My Life

Herbert Hunter I Was Born To Love You

Barbara Hall You Brought It On Yourself

Arnold Jarvis Trying To Get Next To You

The Notations Think Before You Stop

Essex IV My Reaction To You

Bill Brandon The Streets Got My Lady

The Crow Your Autumn Of Tomorrow

Debbie Fleming Long Gone

Bobby Foster If You Ever Need A Friend

Boogie Man Orchestra Lady Lady Lady

Stanley Woodruff What Took You So Long

Danny Reed What Makes Her A Woman

Hosanna Hipit

Eddie Horan The Ups And Downs Of A Love Affair

Invitations Look On The Good Side

Johhny Balker Shy Guy

Soulvation Army Band Dancing On A Daydream

Imperial Wonders You Only Live Once

Jimmy Jones Aint Nothin Wrong Makin Love

Dooley Silverspoon Game Players

Crystal Motion Youre My Main Squeeze

Dave Love Baby Hard Times

Bobby Newton Shady Lady

Donny Gerrard He's Always Somewhere Around

Bo KirkLand Ruth Davis Youre Gonna Get Next To Me

Entertains Love Will Turn Around

Mark Putney Todays Man

Mandrill Never Die

InnerVision Honey Babe

Vessie Simmons I Cant Make It On My Own

John Bowie Youre Gonna Miss A Good Thing Baby

Chuck Stephens Lets Get Nasty

Universal Love Its You Girl

Jackie Moore Heart Be Still

Special Delivery This Kind Of Love

Sandra Richardson Stay With Me

Jean Carn If You Wanna Go Back

Darrow Fletcher We Need An Understanding

Margie Joseph Come On Back To Me Lover

Josie Jo Armstead I Got The Vibes

Newcomers The Whole World Is A Picture Show

Aristocrats Lets Get Together now

Spread Love Here I Go

Jeanie Tracy Making New Friends

Ultimate Girl Ive Been Trying To Tell You

Ty Karim Lighten Up

Lynn Varnado Wash And Wear Love

George Benson Supership

Celeste Hardy Youre Gone

Mel Williams Sweet Girl Of Mine

Joe Anderson You And I

Norman Connors / Philip Mitchell Once Ive Been There

Michael Henderson

Oscar Perry He Sent Me You

Oscar Perry I Got The Need

Oscar Perry Main String

Philly Devotions Just Cant Say GoodBye

MayBerry Movement I Can See Him Makin Love

Charen Cotton A Little Bit Of Love

Ronnie Walker Magics In The Air

Street People Never Get Enough

Pat Lundy PartyMusic

Jacky Beavers Trying To Get Back To You Girl

Almeta Lattimore These Memories

Notations Its All Right

Casanova Two We Got To Keep On

Hypnotics Beware Of A Stranger

Deniece Chandler Mama I Wish I Stayed At Home

Jimmy Holiday When Im Loving You

Frankie Newsome We Are On Our Way

Bill Harris Uptown Saturday Night

Don Renaldo Fiddlin Around (Pete Haigh Redit)

Lydia Marcelle Its Not Like You

Ann Byers Im So Happy About You

Minne Jones Shadow Of A Memory

Donnie Burkes Youlll Never Know What You Got

Windy City We Party Up In Yeah

Wales Wallace Somebody I Know

Wales Wallace Whatever You Want

Lost Family Blow My Mind

Prince George Wrong Crowd

Andre Maurice Youre The Cream Of The Crop

Jobell Orchestra Never Gonna Let You Go

Donald Byrd Think Twice

Johhny Hammond Los Consqistadors Chocolates

Dynamics We Need Love

Dee Dee Warwick Funny How We Change Places

Leroy Hutson Ella Weez

Total Eclipse You Took Took A Heart That Was Torn

Lou Courtney Somebody New Is Loving You

JB Bingham All Alone By The Telephone

CheckMates All Alone By The Telephone

Reason Why Step In My World

Corey Blake How Can I Go On Without You

Southside Movement Do It To Me

Beloyd Get Into My Life

Smoked Sugar 20th Century LP

Larry Saunders On The Real Side

Pleasure Let Me Be The One

Vibrations Shake It Up

TNJ'S Dont Forget About Me

Natural Four The Devil Made Me Do It

Don Downing Dreamworld

Dee Dee Sharp Happy Bout The Whole Thing

Social source share

Been an interesting thread. One of the main things to come from it is the massive turnover of records, but this is no great suprise, not just because the dj's there were open minded and it was a time of lots of material turning up, but also it was a weekly event. Someone else can work out the maths, just say 30% of each week from 75 onwards was new material X the hours availble, thats one helva lot of records played.

Anyway here a few I don't think have been mentioned before some on the jazzy tip

Hubert Laws - Chicago Theme

Rubin Wilson - Get you some

Magnetic Force - Ain't gonna be a next time/Just in the nick of time

Vibrations - Man over board

Monday After - Merry go round

Kim Tolliver - Don't know what foot to dance on

Paulette Reaves - Jazz freak

Loleatta Holloway - Mother of shame

Weapons Of Peace - Just can't be that way

Intrepids - After you've had your fling

5 Degrees Farenheit - Just let your heart be your guide

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Composers 45 Nick a serious tune never spun much these days....

Anyhow Nick thanks for taking our overated manager !!!

And it sure don't look like the current situation @ Burnley has changed for the better - just yet............ :unsure::ohmy: .

Although Glyn - SWFC have improved since BL's recent departure.

Yes the Composers always been an under rated and not a seriously over exposed 45, which is good.

Noticed Mr Plumb had one for sale last year, but hardly ever sited and always missing from the many "For Sale" list's and sites in circulation these days.:D .

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

Colin was the first to play Jerry

Not want to be pedantic but it was Ian who played it first. I used to be at The Highland Room with Pete Haigh, Steve Naylor etc. every week when it opened at 7.30. Can remember Ian putting it on & Colin saying within about 2 bars - "I'll have that one"

Was there also the first time Ian played Brainstorm - "Loving Is Really My Game" (again early doors when the place was practically empty) . He kept playing the intro over & over again - telling everyone that they had "borrowed" it from "Your Magic Put A Spell On Me"

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Was just going through this great thread again and came across this:-

Were Gonna Make It Big - Don Gardner

I don't know it. Anyone got any details or the label? g.gif

Ian D biggrin.gif

And thanks to Dave T for supplying the correct information, but was this ever issued in any other format, than the DJ/Promo 45 on Master 5.

As recalled, copies of the album seemed to be around before the promo 45's turned up. Was this to be the first single released from the LP.

What I find historically strange is that the same sided promo 45, around in small volumes - was years later reintroduced into the crossover scene and was hounded into the most wanted by the lesser unknowning.

Don Gardner (45) was then some 3 years ago, propelled into auction status by the "driving pathfinders" priced @ auction fetching £360.00 and played as a crossover anthem along side The Lost Family, Four Wonders, Enchanted Five, Water And Power, Invitations, and Three Ounces Of Love.

Social source share

And thanks to Dave T for supplying the correct information, but was this ever issued in any other format, than the DJ/Promo 45 on Master 5.

As recalled, copies of the album seemed to be around before the promo 45's turned up. Was this to be the first single released from the LP.

What I find historically strange is that the same sided promo 45, around in small volumes - was years later reintroduced into the crossover scene and was hounded into the most wanted by the lesser unknowning.

Don Gardner (45) was then some 3 years ago, propelled into auction status by the "driving pathfinders" priced @ auction fetching £360.00 and played as a crossover anthem along side The Lost Family, Four Wonders, Enchanted Five, Water And Power, Invitations, and Three Ounces Of Love.

Blimey, it's THAT Don Gardner then. Was a 75p record back then and seemed to be everywhere. I must confess it didn't hit me at the time so it makes perfect sense that it eventually became a 'crossover' item. Same as the Differences by the sound of it.......?

Ian D :D

Social source share

Was there also the first time Ian played Brainstorm - "Loving Is Really My Game" (again early doors when the place was practically empty) . He kept playing the intro over & over again - telling everyone that they had "borrowed" it from "Your Magic Put A Spell On Me"

I've always thought that too!! do you think its possible?

Social source share

Guest Mecca76

Seems to me we need a Clifton Hall thread ! All those records spun at the Mecca fell on deaf ears little did those guys know, unless it was played at an all-nighter in Yorkshire it's not relevant :-)

Social source share

Seems to me we need a Clifton Hall thread ! All those records spun at the Mecca fell on deaf ears little did those guys know, unless it was played at an all-nighter in Yorkshire it's not relevant :-)

That is quite a Statement Mecca76

I notice that it is your first post

Please post an Introduction in Soul Source >>> New Members <<<

Social source share

Much of the Mecca stuff was played at all-nighters in Yorkshire - Samanthas in Sheffield for a start and certainly Cleethorpes Pier if Lincolnshire counts as being North enough..........

Ian D :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!