Blackpool Mecca

Simsy

Glad to see a new thread. :thumbsup:

Just always keen to hear more about the Highland Room. Would have loved to have been at the place in it's prime. Any more memorable stories - memorable nights?

site note - 3 mecca related topics have been merged into this one

Social source share

Glad to see a new thread. :thumbsup:

Just always keen to hear more about the Highland Room. Would have loved to have been at the place in it's prime. Any more memorable stories - memorable nights?

I promise to tell loads, as long as the thread doesn't get closed down. No matter what some of them say, as long as I don't answer back, I don't see how Mike can close it if the rule breaking is only one sided. At least I'd like to hope so.

Social source share

I promise to tell loads, as long as the thread doesn't get closed down. No matter what some of them say, as long as I don't answer back, I don't see how Mike can close it if the rule breaking is only one sided. At least I'd like to hope so.

Lets go with the flow, like a twig on the shoulders of a mighty stream!

Social source share

Hi Ian its Paul D from Peterborough,

Scenario, and no need to reply straight away and if need be via my pm facility will suffice.

You got one day left on this planet and you can play 20 of your all time fave 'dance' tracks to a crowd who are there for ALL the right reasons..

a- what would be your final 20 records as a dj and in what order would you play them

b- what venue would it be in a why?

c- what dj dead or alive would you want to be before you and why?

d- what dj dead or alive would you want to follow you and why?

e- How would you like to remembered by those hat have appreciated your contrubution to uk danace soul scene.

Cya x :thumbsup:

Social source share

You got one day left on this planet and you can play 20 of your all time fave 'dance' tracks to a crowd who are there for ALL the right reasons..

a- what would be your final 20 records as a dj and in what order would you play them

(Off the top of my head, roughly, and in no order, and can't get it down to less than 23 without losing something I refuse to lose)

CHARADES - KEY TO MY HAPPINESS

LEROY TAYLOR - OH LINDA

MARY LOVE - I'M IN YOUR HANDS

POETS - WRAPPED AROUND YOUR FINGER

PETER LAMARR - UNDER LOCK AND KEY

C.P. SPENCER - THIS MAN NEEDS YOU

SKIP JACKSON AND THE SHANTONS - I'M ON TO YOU GIRL

DIANE JENKINS - TOW AWAY ZONE

AMBERS - I LOVE YOU BABY

AMBERS - POTION OF LOVE

AMBERS - ANOTHER LOVE

SUPERLATIVES - I STILL LOVE YOU

ESTHER GRANT - LETS MAKE THE MOST OUT OF LOVE

PATRINELL STATTEN - A LITTLE LOVE AFFAIR

MARGIE JOSEPH - ONE MORE CHANCE

TSU TORONADOES - I STILL LOVE YOU

TERRI BRYANT - GENI

SPYDER TURNER - I CAN'T MAKE IT ANY MORE

VENICIA WILSON - THIS TIME I'M LOVING YOU

JOHNNY NASH - I'M SO GLAD YOU'RE MY BABY

SHIRLEY LAWSON - ONE MORE CHANCE

JIM GILSTRAP - RUN RUN RUN

BULL - BYGONES

CLYDENE JACKSON - HONEST TO PETE

b- what venue would it be in and why?

THE HIGHLAND ROOM OF COURSE - NO CONTEST.

LES COKELL - MY GREATEST EVER INFLUENCE

d- what dj dead or alive would you want to follow you and why?

SIMON WHITE - THE BST TASTE OF ANYONE.

e- How would you like to remembered by those that have appreciated your contrubution to uk dance soul scene.

AS A PRODUCER AND WRITER OF GREAT SONGS, NOT AS SOMEONE IGNORED AND DISCRIMINATED AGAINST BY SMALL MINDED PURISTS AND ANORAKS.

Social source share

[

The contribution Les made to the scene has - except in certain appreciative circles - never truly been given the acknowledgement and credit it so rightfully deserves .......

IAN - If Les had been alive today , what is your considered and valued opinion as to the position he would have held in the DJ rankings of / on the scene ?

Malc Burton

Social source share

Ian,

Can you please tell me what's the best Northern Soul dance move you've ever seen & what's the best Northern Soul badge you've ever witnessed at an allnighter?

I simply must know!

Simon rolleyes.gif

Social source share

IAN - If Les had been alive today , what is your considered and valued opinion as to the position he would have held in the DJ rankings of / on the scene ?

Malc Burton

It's a very hard question to answer. Richard Searling gave him a spot at the Ritz before he died, probably around 1997, and it was sad to see him, as his mind was going and he was a shadow mentally of his former self.

Social source share

which records that you found did you think would make it on the scene but bombed on the dancefloor ?

which records that you found did you think were rubbish but went to to become floor packers?

A - Walter And The Admirations, on La Cindy, and The Admirations "You Left Me", on Peaches, both of which I brought back from Chicago in 1975, as we were starting to play more modern stuff, and both of which cleared the floor every time till I just gave up. Pat Brady bought each of them off me for ten pounds.

B - One easy answer - Snoopy Dean - "Shake And Bump" - UGHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

Ian did you ever dance at a nighter?

If you did , when was the last time you did and what to?

The Ritz in 2003 to Holly St. James - I can remember it quite specifically because of certain events that stick in my mind.

Social source share

Ian,

Can you please tell me what's the best Northern Soul dance move you've ever seen & what's the best Northern Soul badge you've ever witnessed at an allnighter?

I simply must know!

Simon rolleyes.gif

Happy New Year Simon. Are you taking the michael here ???

No-one ever beat the legendary Tash and Gelly (Roy Ashworth and Rene Gelston) at Blackpool Mecca. As a double act they were then and still are to this day, the most unbeatable sight I ever witnessed.

Your second question is too silly to merit an answer,

Social source share

(Off the top of my head, roughly, and in no order, and can't get it down to less than 23 without losing something I refuse to lose)

CHARADES - KEY TO MY HAPPINESS

LEROY TAYLOR - OH LINDA

MARY LOVE - I'M IN YOUR HANDS

POETS - WRAPPED AROUND YOUR FINGER

PETER LAMARR - UNDER LOCK AND KEY

C.P. SPENCER - THIS MAN NEEDS YOU

SKIP JACKSON AND THE SHANTONS - I'M ON TO YOU GIRL

DIANE JENKINS - TOW AWAY ZONE

AMBERS - I LOVE YOU BABY

AMBERS - POTION OF LOVE

AMBERS - ANOTHER LOVE

SUPERLATIVES - I STILL LOVE YOU

ESTHER GRANT - LETS MAKE THE MOST OUT OF LOVE

PATRINELL STATTEN - A LITTLE LOVE AFFAIR

MARGIE JOSEPH - ONE MORE CHANCE

TSU TORONADOES - I STILL LOVE YOU

TERRI BRYANT - GENI

SPYDER TURNER - I CAN'T MAKE IT ANY MORE

VENICIA WILSON - THIS TIME I'M LOVING YOU

JOHNNY NASH - I'M SO GLAD YOU'RE MY BABY

SHIRLEY LAWSON - ONE MORE CHANCE

JIM GILSTRAP - RUN RUN RUN

BULL - BYGONES

CLYDENE JACKSON - HONEST TO PETE

Surprised there are no tunes like Anderson Brothers- Voices Of East Harlem - Crown Heights Affair - records that "broke the mould at Blackpool Mecca".

Have an audio cassette tape somewhere of Les Cokell doing an "oldies" spot at Miracles All Dayer - Blackpool Mecca 1975 - he is playing tunes like David & The Giants - Kaddo Strings - Rose Batiste - Earl Grant etc. When playing Lee Andrews he says "Here's Lee Andrews & I've Had It - Lucky Fellah" - great memories of a great guy. Also on the tape are Colin & you playng tunes like Joe Frazier - East Coast Connection - Kim Tolliver etc.

Social source share

Holly St James is one of my favourite of these tracks ................how would you classify it, NS or 60sGP?

QoFxx

It may be white but it's most certainly classic Northern Soul. I found it in the Goodwill haul in 1973, and played it first in the Highland Room, and it's still a great record to this day. Another old favourite of Les Cokell.

Social source share

It may be white but it's most certainly classic Northern Soul. I found it in the Goodwill haul in 1973, and played it first in the Highland Room, and it's still a great record to this day. Another old favourite of Les Cokell.

Howdy Ian,

Still get a Christmas card from Mr & Mrs Cokell every year.

How long is it since Les died? - 10 years maybe?

Julian

Social source share

Howdy Ian,

Still get a Christmas card from Mr & Mrs Cokell every year.

How long is it since Les died? - 10 years maybe?

Julian

At least eleven. I must ask Pete Whitney and Dave Carne.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Ian,

Is there any film footage in existence of the Mecca pre-1977 ?

Great question! In fact, is there any film footage of the Highland Room at all??? Any photographs of the 'Miracles Live' Alldayer 1976?

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Hello,

Let's discuss the Highland Room.

I first went in 1975 when I was 16, just as the playlists were starting to get more contemporary.

Sometimes it seems like only yesterday.

Favourite tracks ...where do I start???

Paul

Social source share

Surprised there are no tunes like Anderson Brothers- Voices Of East Harlem - Crown Heights Affair - records that "broke the mould at Blackpool Mecca".

Have an audio cassette tape somewhere of Les Cokell doing an "oldies" spot at Miracles All Dayer - Blackpool Mecca 1975 - he is playing tunes like David & The Giants - Kaddo Strings - Rose Batiste - Earl Grant etc. When playing Lee Andrews he says "Here's Lee Andrews & I've Had It - Lucky Fellah" - great memories of a great guy. Also on the tape are Colin & you playng tunes like Joe Frazier - East Coast Connection - Kim Tolliver etc.

Any chance of a copy (I collect them).can swop for one of mine.

Social source share

is the proposed mecca reunion event in blackpool at the end of january taking place?

The demolition guy told me that he thought Bryan Waklelin was organising a do at which his haul i.e. The whole Mecca dance floor,DJ booth etc would be auctioned for charity? Anybody know ?

Social source share

Glad to see a new thread.

So was I.

Till it got mercilessly closed down.

I have expressed my thoughts in the members feedback section.

This is just not on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

A - Walter And The Admirations, on La Cindy, and The Admirations "You Left Me", on Peaches, both of which I brought back from Chicago in 1975, as we were starting to play more modern stuff, and both of which cleared the floor every time till I just gave up. Pat Brady bought each of them off me for ten pounds.

B - One easy answer - Snoopy Dean - "Shake And Bump" - UGHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reminds me of Christine Goyjke dancing in front of the stage and very well; she could dance. Presumably she could not be found for SWONS? Anybody got a picture of her in the era they could download?

Social source share

Reminds me of Christine Goyjke dancing in front of the stage and very well; she could dance. Presumably she could not be found for SWONS? Anybody got a picture of her in the era they could download?

We found her a couple of years afterwards - well Chris Lalor did - and we spent one night at The Ritz dancing for about four hours. Got loads of old pics though.

Social source share

We found her a couple of years afterwards - well Chris Lalor did - and we spent one night at The Ritz dancing for about four hours. Got loads of old pics though.

[/quote

Apart from Christine Gojyke dancing to Shake and Bump I remember in particular her dancing to King Sporty and the Carstairs. No one danced better however to the Carstairs quite like Andy Simpson in the corner right of the stage - danced like he believed and lived the record. Quite amazingly I had a friend from the Mecca era(with no N Soul contacts now) now living in the South, who came to dinner over Christmas and he remembered Andy dancing to the Carstairs. A download of Christine Gojyke would be good to see.

Social source share

Apart from Christine Gojyke dancing to Shake and Bump I remember in particular her dancing to King Sporty and the Carstairs. No one danced better however to the Carstairs quite like Andy Simpson in the corner right of the stage - danced like he believed and lived the record. Quite amazingly I had a friend from the Mecca era(with no N Soul contacts now) now living in the South, who came to dinner over Christmas and he remembered Andy dancing to the Carstairs. A download of Christine Gojyke would be good to see.

Her name was spelt Christine Gojke.

Social source share

Was a regular at the mecca during 1974 , Without a doubt the most influential period musically for me as a 16 year old and all this new music it was awesome along with the 60s rareities Ian and Colin had started playing new releases , things that i remember margo thunder - soul of a woman, boby franklin - ladies choice , temprees - at last , philly devotions - just cant say goodbye etc etc .

Can anyone remember the Javells being played for the first time at blackpool the dancefloor was packed solid. :thumbsup:

First record i ever heard as i walked along the corridoor into the highland room was the gypsies - its a womans world , made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up , sounds as good to me now as it did then .

Afraid my love affair with the mecca sadly only lasted 18 months as by then the music had changed to new york disco then jazz funk so it was all alien to me.

I started collecting records during this period and remember buying things like essex iv - my reaction to you ,innersection - let me love you , jesse fisher - your not loving a beginer from spin a disc in Northampton at £1 each they stocked all the latest import releases , if only i had known then , i would have bought all there stock.

During the early 70s without a doubt Ian levine and Colin Curtis were a country mile ahead of the rest and the mecca still remains along with yate and stafford in the 80s the best venues ive ever been.

Edited by tony parker
Social source share

Was a regular at the mecca during 1974 , Without a doubt the most influential period musically for me as a 16 year old and all this new music it was awesome along with the 60s rareities Ian and Colin had started playing new releases , things that i remember margo thunder - soul of a women, boby franklin - ladies choice , temprees - at last , philly devotions - just cant say goodbye etc etc .

Can anyone remember the Javells being played for the first time at blackpool the dancefloor was packed solid. :unsure:

First record i ever heard as i walked along the corridoor into the highland room was the gypsies - its a womens world , made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up , sounds as good to me now as it did then .

Afraid my love affair with the mecca sadly only lasted 18 months as by then the music had changed to new york disco then jazz funk so it was all alien to me.

I started collecting records during this period and remember buying things like essex iv - my reaction to you ,innersection - let me love you , jesse fisher - your not loving a beginer from spin a disc in Northampton at £1 each they stocked all the latest import releases , if only i had known then , i would have bought all there stock.

during the early 70s without a doubt Ian levine and Colin Curtis were a country mile ahead of the rest and the mecca still remains along with yate and stafford in the 80s the best venues ive ever been.

Yes I remember the Javells. Also Alf Billigham bringing Breakaway Steve Karmen from Dave Godin which was covered up as"Black Ship to hell" which was apparently a book Godin was reading. Amazing the memory - cannot recall what I was doing at work at 10am yesterday. What happend to Alf Billingham?

Social source share

i went to the Mecca from 1973 aged 15/16 with my brother Paul, Steve Rliey, Alan Birkhead, john hilel,remember alan jacksoon managing to get the address of f stanley woodruff what took you so long while colin was playing it he wrote to the label and managed to get several copiesm, as for tunes there were so many hearing the oscar perry singles for the first time, dianne jenkins towaway zone, all the 60's stuff ian was playing from the haul. For me the Mecca was the club.

as for Christine gojke i thought she was gorgeous as well as a great dancer.

mark

Social source share

• 5 weeks later...
Guest biggray1

Very sad time indeed,very fond memories of this once Top Venue,thank for posting the Pictures mate,another Northern Historical land mark gone. Graham

Social source share

As you know the Mecca is being demolished to make way for a new College campus.

I have took a few pictures over the past week or so.

Can you still see yourself going up the famous escalators? :lol::yes:

Fantastic memories. :yes:

Wonderful memories,you can erase the building but not the great nights had there :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest familytree

As you know the Mecca is being demolished to make way for a new College campus.

I have took a few pictures over the past week or so.

Can you still see yourself going up the famous escalators? :D:D

Fantastic memories. :thumbsup:

So sad to see these pics... a brilliant venue and brilliant memories... I painted a Mecca banner for the luxury soull weekenders and as there was no artwork available I had to come up with something. The thing that stood out to me were the esculators you mention.. 'Stairway to heaven' I called it... and it was x

Social source share

These are pics are NOT taken by me. Another soul fan from Blackpool, who managed to gain access during the demolition, took these.

Even sadder to see.......... :(:(

https://pa.photoshelter.com/c/phsp/gallery-...1E4.T1pE?start=

HAPPY DAYS...2nd photo yep does it for me that was until I saw the photo of the stairs its me birthday today had a few and got a lump in my throat,

Called the Mrs over who detests the current rare soul scene but trod the boards early 70's,

"Recognise these stairs pet"

"That's the stairs to the Highland Room"

:lol: after 35 years she remembered a few flights of stairs, bizarre but forgot my fekkin birthday :D

Social source share

On a recent thread, a suggestion was made by Rachel to start up such a thread.

So, can anyone contribute?

Could do an A-Z or something?

Anyone? And who DJ'd there apart from the obvious ones.

Thanks

P :wicked:

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Edited by paup-ine
Social source share

Here is a list of "last hour" tunes played by Colin Curtis - probably up to 1977. Thirty Two years on it is interesting to see how many of these records still feature on many peoples wants lists - so much quality within this list.

Mamie Galore No Right To Cry

Ramsey And Co Love Call

Bobby Taylor There Are Roses Somewhere In This World

Paulette Reeves Jazz Freak

Dorothy Morrison I Cant Go On Without You

James Bynum Time Passes By

Lynn Vernado Wash And Wear Love

Ann Peebles If This Is Heaven

Diane Jenkins Tow a Way Zone

Diane Jenkins I Need You

The Nights Love Knocked You Down

Little Beaver Listen To My HeartBeat

Quadraphonics Betcha If You Check It Out

Bessie Banks Dont You Worry Baby

Stevens And Foster I Wanna Be Loved

Pete Warner I just Wanna Spend My Life

Herbert Hunter I Was Born To Love You

Barbara Hall You Brought It On Yourself

Arnold Jarvis Trying To Get Next To You

The Notations Think Before You Stop

Essex IV My Reaction To You

Bill Brandon The Streets Got My Lady

The Crow Your Autumn Of Tomorrow

Debbie Fleming Long Gone

Bobby Foster If You Ever Need A Friend

Boogie Man Orchestra Lady Lady Lady

Stanley Woodruff What Took You So Long

Danny Reed What Makes Her A Woman

Hosanna Hipit

Eddie Horan The Ups And Downs Of A Love Affair

Invitations Look On The Good Side

Johhny Balker Shy Guy

Soulvation Army Band Dancing On A Daydream

Imperial Wonders You Only Live Once

Jimmy Jones Aint Nothin Wrong Makin Love

Dooley Silverspoon Game Players

Crystal Motion Youre My Main Squeeze

Dave Love Baby Hard Times

Bobby Newton Shady Lady

Donny Gerrard He's Always Somewhere Around

Bo KirkLand Ruth Davis Youre Gonna Get Next To Me

Entertains Love Will Turn Around

Mark Putney Todays Man

Mandrill Never Die

InnerVision Honey Babe

Vessie Simmons I Cant Make It On My Own

John Bowie Youre Gonna Miss A Good Thing Baby

Chuck Stephens Lets Get Nasty

Universal Love Its You Girl

Jackie Moore Heart Be Still

Special Delivery This Kind Of Love

Sandra Richardson Stay With Me

Jean Carn If You Wanna Go Back

Darrow Fletcher We Need An Understanding

Margie Joseph Come On Back To Me Lover

Josie Jo Armstead I Got The Vibes

Newcomers The Whole World Is A Picture Show

Aristocrats Lets Get Together now

Spread Love Here I Go

Jeanie Tracy Making New Friends

Ultimate Girl Ive Been Trying To Tell You

Ty Karim Lighten Up

Lynn Varnado Wash And Wear Love

George Benson Supership

Celeste Hardy Youre Gone

Mel Williams Sweet Girl Of Mine

Joe Anderson You And I

Norman Connors / Philip Mitchell Once Ive Been There

Michael Henderson

Oscar Perry He Sent Me You

Oscar Perry I Got The Need

Oscar Perry Main String

Philly Devotions Just Cant Say GoodBye

MayBerry Movement I Can See Him Makin Love

Charen Cotton A Little Bit Of Love

Ronnie Walker Magics In The Air

Street People Never Get Enough

Pat Lundy PartyMusic

Jacky Beavers Trying To Get Back To You Girl

Almeta Lattimore These Memories

Notations Its All Right

Casanova Two We Got To Keep On

Hypnotics Beware Of A Stranger

Deniece Chandler Mama I Wish I Stayed At Home

Jimmy Holiday When Im Loving You

Frankie Newsome We Are On Our Way

Bill Harris Uptown Saturday Night

Don Renaldo Fiddlin Around (Pete Haigh Redit)

Lydia Marcelle Its Not Like You

Ann Byers Im So Happy About You

Minne Jones Shadow Of A Memory

Donnie Burkes Youlll Never Know What You Got

Windy City We Party Up In Yeah

Wales Wallace Somebody I Know

Wales Wallace Whatever You Want

Lost Family Blow My Mind

Prince George Wrong Crowd

Andre Maurice Youre The Cream Of The Crop

Jobell Orchestra Never Gonna Let You Go

Donald Byrd Think Twice

Johhny Hammond Los Consqistadors Chocolates

Dynamics We Need Love

Dee Dee Warwick Funny How We Change Places

Leroy Hutson Ella Weez

Total Eclipse You Took Took A Heart That Was Torn

Lou Courtney Somebody New Is Loving You

JB Bingham All Alone By The Telephone

CheckMates All Alone By The Telephone

Reason Why Step In My World

Corey Blake How Can I Go On Without You

Southside Movement Do It To Me

Beloyd Get Into My Life

Smoked Sugar 20th Century LP

Larry Saunders On The Real Side

Pleasure Let Me Be The One

Vibrations Shake It Up

TNJ'S Dont Forget About Me

Natural Four The Devil Made Me Do It

Don Downing Dreamworld

Dee Dee Sharp Happy Bout The Whole Thing

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Here is a list of "last hour" tunes played by Colin Curtis - probably up to 1977. Thirty Two years on it is interesting to see how many of these records still feature on many peoples wants lists - so much quality within this list.

Some crackers there Andy. Should be able to do an A-Z just from that list.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!