Blackpool Mecca

Simsy

Patsy Gallant didn't make the list. Now it has. Thanks! UK CBS if I recall correctly, 1976? Do you have a date for this? Was it played on a UK label, etc.? - Whatever...

There are more omissions. Colin Joesbury reckons Roscoe & Friends "Broadway Sissy" on TEC (1976?)

I've had it on a Canadian CBS (Orange label with a Maple Leaf on it!) AND CBS UK (think it's also on an LP too?)..........never heard it played out meself but it must be around the same time as the CC/DG B&S article posted earlier, cos it's listed there!!

Hope this helps?

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Patsy Gallant didn't make the list. Now it has. Thanks! UK CBS if I recall correctly, 1976? Do you have a date for this? Was it played on a UK label, etc.? - Whatever...

There are more omissions. Colin Joesbury reckons Roscoe & Friends "Broadway Sissy" on TEC (1976?)

Ya , "Broadway Sissy" played in 76

Social source share

Anybody mentioned

Admirations - Heaven Is In Your Arms

Dushons - You'd Better Think It Over

Ruby Andrews - I've Got A Bone To Pick With You

Sandy Hadley - Since I Found A Love

Don Renaldo - Fiddlin' Around

Apologies if they have.

Sandra Richardson - Stay here with me.- Intersoul.?

Social source share

Barbara and Brenda - Don't Wait Up For Me Mama. Was this a Mecca thing ?

Yes it was

It's All In The Back Of Me Now - Linda Perry

You Take My Love For Granted - Hodges James & Smith

Sex Trip - Crown Heights Affair

Has Love Been Here Before - Fabulous Determinations

I'll Always Need You - Len Barry

Strange Book - Gorgeous George

I Don't Know - Bobby Womack

That's How Much I Love You - Art Wheeler

It's Not Like You - Lydia Marcelle

Happy Without You - Ann Byers

Whatever Happened To The Love We Knew - Jimmy James & The Vagabonds

Social source share

Yes you're absolutely right about it being the STRINGfield Family. (Typing error I guess - or maybe it was seeing Dusty Springfield on the Motown TV progs!) I didn't know about the white promo version, but it's a fair cop!

(Arrest...cop.. gettit?) :D:thumbsup:

You can get your coat LOL.....

Sterling work so far Mel!

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

Am I allowed to say that this was the first place I heard Funkadelic - One nation under a groove!!!

Probably not first play in the UK cos I'd seen it listed in the US charts at the time ('78) and wondered what it was like.......until Mr Levine (I think) gave it a spin..............................possibly at the same all dayer as Barry Manilow but that's another story :thumbsup::D:lol: Hope this one doesn't open up a can of worms, as I'm sure it's been done to death on SS in other threads before, so maybe best to leave it be???

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Am I allowed to say that this was the first place I heard Funkadelic - One nation under a groove!!!

Probably not first play in the UK cos I'd seen it listed in the US charts at the time ('78) and wondered what it was like.......until Mr Levine (I think) gave it a spin..............................possibly at the same all dayer as Barry Manilow but that's another story :thumbsup::D:lol: Hope this one doesn't open up a can of worms, as I'm sure it's been done to death on SS in other threads before, so maybe best to leave it be???

Cheers

Steve

Have you still got your "Tear the roof off the sucker" badge Steve,? :D .

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Thanks for the above. Some of those mentioned have already been listed, others not. Will hopefully sort the omissions out eventually and we'll get most of 'em sorted.

Re. Patsy Gallant. There are many 70s sides now attributed as "Mecca spins" and I'm not sure some were actually played there! Like I said, there was such a wave of good new US releases between 1974 and 1976/7 (which many people were buying), that sometimes it's hard to say exactly why some records weren't played! I know that Dave Godin's gave it a good review though.

For example, I'd have thought Merry Clayton - "One More Ride" (ODE) was a natural "70's Northern stomper", but I don't remember hearing it anywhere, despite it being widely imported. (Anyone know different? Cleethorpes maybe?)

post-4950-1235512856_thumb.jpg

Oops! - I accidently omitted Herbie Mann - "Waterbed" (ATLANTIC) from the above lists. And it's an absolute classic!

Funkadelic et.al. are featured in the later Jazz/Funk listings 1977-80.

post-4950-1235513122_thumb.jpg

post-4950-1235513146_thumb.jpg

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Oh no....this is too sad..there never was any proper old film footage of inside found...and now this is all we've got.. :lol:

I can't help thinking of.."He's So Irreplaceable" Doris Jones after watching that. Has that tune been included by the way?

Bye bye Mecca Building... :thumbsup:

Julia

Agree some great pictures on the Blackpool Pictures site particularly one of the corridor (without sign I am afraid). Must be plenty of folks out there who can download a few from the era?

Alex

Social source share

Late addition!* - MIROSLAV VITOUS - New York City" (WARNER BROS. LP) New release*

(mid-1976?)

*Thanks to Colin Joesbury

Few more?

If you and I had never met - Magic Night (Roulette) 75?

Shy Guy - Johnny Baker (Fog City) 75?

Sweet Sweet Lady - Moments (All Platinum?)75 (Curtis play)

Was 100th South of Broadway - Philadelphia Society (American Recording Co) a play. It was the traditional last record at Blue Rooms at Sale evry Thursday for a while.

Alex

Social source share

Oops! - I accidently omitted Herbie Mann - "Waterbed" (ATLANTIC) from the above lists. And it's an absolute

Wasn't the LTG Exchange version of this played also?

Chicago Theme(love loop) from the CTI album about the same time as Supership and WADADM Esther Phillips

Perhaps a side thread for album tracks played at the Mecca?

Social source share

Was 100th South of Broadway - Philadelphia Society (American Recording Co) a play. It was the traditional last record at Blue Rooms at Sale evry Thursday for a while.

Alex

Certainly was - heard it Jan/Feb '75 - along with 'The Bottle' and another one not mentioned so far - 'Reach Out' by Gloria Gaynor. Bought Prince Johnny Robinson on the same visit - wrote the date on the cover - how sad!

Mike

Social source share

Guest mel brat

...and anyone mentioned - 'Open Sesame' and 'Car Wash' yet ?

Mike

Thanks. Both are listed for late 1976

If you and I had never met - Magic Night (Roulette) 75? What a absolutely brilliant record - I wasn't sure of an actual play date on this one. I bought it blind from Soul Bowl after reading about it in B&S. I believe Cleethorpes was playing it at the time!

Shy Guy - Johnny Baker (Fog City) 75? Listed in main "Northern" listings for the period (mid-1974)

Sweet Sweet Lady - Moments (STANG) 75 (Curtis play) I forgot this one entirely. Thanks.

Was 100th South of Broadway - Philadelphia Society (American Recording Co)

Again, I wasn't sure if this was just another popular new release that was knocking around, but if enough folk are certain it was played, fine!

Will save final update of playlists until we've had time to think about it. Keep 'em coming. And if anyone disputes a record was actually played, it can be removed from the list, or maybe given "honorary Mecca" (or "Spirit of The Mecca") status! :unsure:

(I bet compiling the main "Northern" list is gonna be much harder though!) :thumbup:

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest mel brat

Ha! What about these two then?

NANETTE WORKMAN - "Lady Marmalade (inst)" (PACHA) New release* Mid-1975 - also did the Labelle original get a spin or two??

MARGARET SALTERS - "Love Feelin" (LINTONY LY-001_A) 1976 New release* Nashville recording

I think this was listed as being played - or maybe it was just reviewed by Ian in Black Music... ?

I've also decided to add finer details such as label numbers etc. where possible (I mean to say, why not? :thumbup: ) That can wait though....

Also, was this one played?

IMPERIAL WONDERS - "You Live Only Once" (SOLID FOUNDATION) LBM 101-A Cleveland, Ohio

Social source share

Ha! What about these two then?

NANETTE WORKMAN - "Lady Marmalade (inst)" (PACHA) New release* Mid-1975 - also did the Labelle original get a spin or two??

MARGARET SALTERS - "Love Feelin" (LINTONY LY-001_A) 1976 New release* Nashville recording

I think this was listed as being played - or maybe it was just reviewed by Ian in Black Music... ?

I've also decided to add finer details such as label numbers etc. where possible (I mean to say, why not? :thumbup: ) That can wait though....

Also, was this one played?

IMPERIAL WONDERS - "You Live Only Once" (SOLID FOUNDATION) LBM 101-A Cleveland, Ohio

Mel

Imperial Wonders - very much so - was rumored to be the O jays- think i got mine from Soul Bowl

Alex

Must admit forgotten about the Nanette Workman. Do not know the other.Keep this going - brilliant.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Imperial Wonders - very much so - was rumored to be the O jays- think i got mine from Soul Bowl

Alex

OK, Thanks for confirmation. (I thought it probably was) But WHEN exactly was it played?? :thumbup:

Social source share

Keep 'em coming. And if anyone disputes a record was actually played, it can be removed from the list, or maybe given "honorary Mecca" (or "Spirit of The Mecca") status! :unsure:

(I bet compiling the main "Northern" list is gonna be much harder though!) :thumbup:

some of these might of been mentioned but...

Carol Douglas - "A Hurricane Is Coming Tonite"

Quincy Jones - "Midnight Soul Patrol"

Mike

Social source share

Guest mel brat

some of these might of been mentioned but...

Carol Douglas - “A Hurricane Is Coming Tonite”

Quincy Jones - "Midnight Soul Patrol"

Mike

Good one! :thumbup:

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

trying to think of forgotten ones [but great ones]

there it is -lionel hampton thumbsup.gif

everything is everything sandy waddy

whos cheating on you -orange sunshine

get out of the kitchen-shawne jackson

better get used to this feeling- ellington sisters

l.ps

risky changes- bionic boogie :D

heart be still-jackie moore

breaking and entering-dee dee sharp :P

love is like an itchin-ralph carter [to add to mels other 2 tracks]

man overboard-the vibrations

also think anyones mentioned

softouch -afteryou give your all

Social source share

Guest mel brat

I've just gotta tell ya!

I was flicking TV channels just now and encountered a programme called "Caravans: A British Love Affair" (on BBC 4)

Yeah?... so what!?

Well, they had "CALIFORNIA MONTAGE" playing in the background!

HONEST!

Oh NO! - I'm being HAUNTED! unsure.gif:D:P:D

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Alex

OK, Thanks for confirmation. (I thought it probably was) But WHEN exactly was it played?? unsure.gif

I think theres definitely a link between what was being played out and what appeared on the current soul bowl list, The first 4-5 records listed on the first page(the ones that didn't need reserving by phone) for around £2-£5. where mostly 'modern' spins

I got Diane Jenkins and Josie Jo's vibes amongst others from there.

List used to arrive on a thursday (payday) used to read it on the way to work and rush to the nearest phone box (no mobiles)

I think I called in sick a couple of times to get that main want!!!!!

Point is Soul Bowl lists good reference point? I'm sure they used to have comments next to them ,ie Mecca spin ect.

Edited by sjclement
Social source share

Patsy Galalnt was being played mid 1975, see below

In Blues and Soul number 167, August 1975. Dave Godin did a whole feature on Colin inlcuding a list of and decription of each big tune

The full list in the article is:

Lou Edwards - Talkin ' 'bout poor folks

The MVP's - Turnin my heartbeat up

Main Squeeze - Let it all come

Segments of Time - Memories

Jo Armstead - I got the vibes

Patsy Gallant - Get that ball

Jesse Fisher - Your not lovin a beginnner

Kenny Smith - Lord what's happening to your people

Social source share

Guest mel brat

In Blues and Soul number 167, August 1975. Dave Godin did a whole feature on Colin inlcuding a list of and decription of each big tune...

Thanks. I knew I'd seen it somewhere! And speaking of Soul Bowl, I remember buying the Main Squeeze record on Roulette (not to be confused with Crystal Motion!), from SB "blind" after reading that very article!

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Wasn't the LTG Exchange version of this played also?

Chicago Theme(love loop) from the CTI album about the same time as Supership and WADADM Esther Phillips

Perhaps a side thread for album tracks played at the Mecca?

Ya LTG Exchange's "Waterbed" and "Keep on Trying"

Social source share

In Blues and Soul number 167, August 1975. Dave Godin did a whole feature on Colin inlcuding a list of and decription of each big tune

The full list in the article is:

Lou Edwards - Talkin ' 'bout poor folks

The MVP's - Turnin my heartbeat up

Main Squeeze - Let it all come

Segments of Time - Memories

Jo Armstead - I got the vibes

Patsy Gallant - Get that ball

Jesse Fisher - Your not lovin a beginnner

Kenny Smith - Lord what's happening to your people

Patsy Gallant I don't think I know this, or at least I can't remember it?

Can anyone post it up.

Thanks Dave.

Social source share

I think theres definitely a link between what was being played out and what appeared on the current soul bowl list, The first 4-5 records listed on the first page(the ones that didn't need reserving by phone) for around £2-£5. where mostly 'modern' spins

I got Diane Jenkins and Josie Jo's vibes amongst others from there.

List used to arrive on a thursday (payday) used to read it on the way to work and rush to the nearest phone box (no mobiles)

I think I called in sick a couple of times to get that main want!!!!!

Point is Soul Bowl lists good reference point? I'm sure they used to have comments next to them ,ie Mecca spin ect.

Same here every Thursday, load up at work than to a phone box before going to first job. smile.gif

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Patsy Gallant I don't think I know this, or at least I can't remember it?

Can anyone post it up.

Thanks Dave.

It's a very curious record isn't it? Unique even. Though with a very strong vocal as I remember. unsure.gif

"...List used to arrive on a thursday (payday) used to read it on the way to work and rush to the nearest phone box (no mobiles)

I think I called in sick a couple of times to get that main want!!!!!.."

Yeah. Me too! I was late for work several times 'cos of that... Now I'm wondering what I actually GOT that was worth all the stress.. :D:P

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Alex

OK, Thanks for confirmation. (I thought it probably was) But WHEN exactly was it played?? unsure.gif

It must have been some time in 74 because I swapped my spare Imperial Wonders with Rob (modernsoulsucks) for Peigents "Love on a Rampage"

I Wonders was a Legion Anthem and we played it from May 74.

Edited by davetay
Social source share

Certainly was - heard it Jan/Feb '75 - along with 'The Bottle' and another one not mentioned so far - 'Reach Out' by Gloria Gaynor. Bought Prince Johnny Robinson on the same visit - wrote the date on the cover - how sad!

Mike

I remember IL telling me at a midweek venue (Darwin Tiffs.) that Black Wax had the LP WINTER IN AMERICA in stock.

So I rang up the next day to order it, on Friday rang in sick got train to London to pick it up.

So I lost a day's pay + train fair just to be the 1st to play "The Bottle" it at the Legion.

How sad is that?

Social source share

Oh no....this is too sad..there never was any proper old film footage of inside found...and now this is all we've got.. :(

I can't help thinking of.."He's So Irreplaceable" Doris Jones after watching that. Has that tune been included by the way?

Bye bye Mecca Building... wave.gif

Julia

Hi Julia, talk about sad, I could not watch it all, had to turn it off. :(

It made me lose a tear or two, but they can't take away our memories. :thumbup:

Hope to see you & Andy soon.

Dave & Lou. x

Social source share

I remember IL telling me at a midweek venue (Darwin Tiffs.) that Black Wax had the LP WINTER IN AMERICA in stock.

So I rang up the next day to order it, on Friday rang in sick got train to London to pick it up.

So I lost a day's pay + train fair just to be the 1st to play "The Bottle" it at the Legion.

How sad is that?

since we are talking sad -- Bo & Ruth had the same effect on us from Middlesbrough when we first heard it at the Mecca. Remember going through to Callers in Newcastle with Bob Slater to get the album , still have a photo of the pair of us with it in Newcastle station. no.gif

Mike

Edited by Mike Lofthouse
Social source share

This is the final section of the Mecca listings before the Jazz/Funk era. Please PM me any additions and tape listings etc....July 1975 - December 1975

JACK ASHFORD & The SOUND of NEW DETROIT - "Do The Choo Choo" (BLAZE) New release*

FOUR BELOW ZERO - "My Baby's Got ESP" (P&P/ROULETTE) New release

..information overload!!!!, thanks to all who contributed to this thread;-good to see the two above, in there; I found the first one, in a charity shop, a few years ago...

The Four Below Zero track is one of my favourites....

Social source share

Same here every Thursday, load up at work than to a phone box before going to first job. smile.gif

In those days where I lived the postman arrived before I went to work - used to number the tunes in order in which I wanted them - my mum would then do the phoning for me whilst I went to work - she would often talk to a Scottish chap (Mr Anderson I believe) who would usually say to her "Och - that's gone" - we were all after the same records each week.

Around about '76 it became a great place to get new release jazz/funk & soul albums on demo for about 2 quid - happy days!!

Social source share

In those days where I lived the postman arrived before I went to work - used to number the tunes in order in which I wanted them - my mum would then do the phoning for me whilst I went to work - she would often talk to a Scottish chap (Mr Anderson I believe) who would usually say to her "Och - that's gone" - we were all after the same records each week.

Around about '76 it became a great place to get new release jazz/funk & soul albums on demo for about 2 quid - happy days!!

White lable Columbia LPs Willie Bobo, Tyrone Davis,Lonnie Liston Smith etc. got loads from there

Happy Days Indeed !!!!! biggrin.gif:D:D

Social source share

It must have been some time in 74 because I swapped my spare Imperial Wonders with Rob (modernsoulsucks) for Peigents "Love on a Rampage"

I Wonders was a Legion Anthem and we played it from May 74.

Yes would agree Imperial Wonders late 74/early 75.

Since theres no doubt - Chris Jackson - Soul City acetate (sent up by Godin?)late 74/early 75. same backing track as Total Eclipse

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!