I'm A New Member

Guest Paul Kyser

Guest Paul Kyser

Hello Everyone

My name is Paul Kyser. In My music career I produced over 30 hit records. From Robby Lawson, to the Superlatives, Jimmy Briscoe and the Little Beavers, Rhyze, The Superbs, The Soul Generation, Calendar, The Super Disco Band, Terry Tate, Eleanor Goodman, The Big Show DVD set Volumes one and two with Jerry Butler, Ray Goodman and Brown, The Chi-Lites, the Manhattans, The Stylistics, The Delfonics, The Soul Generation, Bloodstone, Barbara, Mason, The Main Ingrediant, Tavaras, Skip Mahony and the Casuals, Heatwave, The Temprees, Enchantment, The Winstons, The Ebonys, Eddie Holman, The Intruders, Just to name a few live on my DVD set.

Paul Kyser paulpapabear@netzero.net

Social source share

• Replies 132
  • Views 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Hello Everyone

My name is Paul Kyser. In My music career I produced over 30 hit records. From Robby Lawson, to the Superlatives, Jimmy Briscoe and the Little Beavers, Rhyze, The Superbs, The Soul Generation, Calendar, The Super Disco Band, Terry Tate, Eleanor Goodman, The Big Show DVD set Volumes one and two with Jerry Butler, Ray Goodman and Brown, The Chi-Lites, the Manhattans, The Stylistics, The Delfonics, The Soul Generation, Bloodstone, Barbara, Mason, The Main Ingrediant, Tavaras, Skip Mahony and the Casuals, Heatwave, The Temprees, Enchantment, The Winstons, The Ebonys, Eddie Holman, The Intruders, Just to name a few live on my DVD set.

Hi Paul. I'm a fan of a lot of your records. I was wondering -- what is your first production and what are some of your early productions. You produced a record by a girl group called the Teardrops on the Gossip label. Is this one of your first productions? Do you remember anything about the group, the members, etc.? Is there any connection to the Superbs?

I really like the records you did by the Eight Miles High and the Ultimate Truth. Do you remember anything about these groups, the membership, etc.? Do you know if these groups had any connection to any other groups? Thanks a lot.

Social source share

Hello Everyone

A very warm welcome to you Paul. Your reputation precedes you. (I`ve always wanted to say that to somebody on this forum! :lol: )

But seriously-it DOES precede you. Glad to meet you.

Stuart Bower

Edited by Mike Socket
Social source share

Guest Paul Kyser

Hi Paul. I'm a fan of a lot of your records. I was wondering -- what is your first production and what are some of your early productions. You produced a record by a girl group called the Teardrops on the Gossip label. Is this one of your first productions? Do you remember anything about the group, the members, etc.? Is there any connection to the Superbs?

I really like the records you did by the Eight Miles High and the Ultimate Truth. Do you remember anything about these groups, the membership, etc.? Do you know if these groups had any connection to any other groups? Thanks a lot.

My first Production was when I was in high school with my group The Valitors the song was called my heart cry's for you" the flip side was My Love For you. and it never got released. This was the early 60s The Next Song was The Teardrops,Superlatives. I recorded the Teardrops at Cameo Parkway studios in Philly. I was friends with Thom Bell and he played Keyboards on the song Called Wait For Me. I only Pressed up 100 copies and a strike off. The Teardrops Lead singer Rhonda Franklin went on to be a part of the Superbs but then Phillis Harris took the Lead on Love Unpredictable and my first shot at arranging strings and horns. The Superbs then became Devotion. I recorded Burning Sensation in 1966 at Cameo Parkway but mixed and mastered the songs at Bell Sound studios in New York. I still have the Test Dub Record with the Bell Sound Studio Label. I Plan to sell it. I pressed up 300 copies of the Robby Lawson record. I was very young and only did a strike off stamper. I then went to the radio stations in the USA but I was pushing I Have Searched. The pressing plant started bootleging my record on Kyser Records and the stampers broke. They tried to make a copy from the 45 but it didn't sound right so a the record was breaking big in England and other places and they had to contact me for the tape masters. A record company in England called Stans Record Shop in Jersey City and asked how to contact me and Stan Called my Mother and I was away in college. They finally reached me and the rest is History. I was majoring in music a Rutgers University. The accapella group called The Royal Counts had 2 of the songs on thier first album and failed to put my name on it and that how I met Stan Krouse of Catamount records. The songs were Made Up My Mind. and The Time. Me and Robby Lawson went to school together and we sung in a group called The School Boys so did Jeffery Burges of the Soul Generations. I own the masters and rights to everything I ever produced and wrote.

Paul Kyser

Social source share

My first Production was when I was in high school with my group The Valitors the song was called my heart cry's for you" the flip side was My Love For you. and it never got released. This was the early 60s The Next Song was The Teardrops,Superlatives. I recorded the Teardrops at Cameo Parkway studios in Philly. I was friends with Thom Bell and he played Keyboards on the song Called Wait For Me. I only Pressed up 100 copies and a strike off. The Teardrops Lead singer Rhonda Franklin went on to be a part of the Superbs but then Phillis Harris took the Lead on Love Unpredictable and my first shot at arranging strings and horns. The Superbs then became Devotion. I recorded Burning Sensation in 1966 at Cameo Parkway but mixed and mastered the songs at Bell Sound studios in New York. I still have the Test Dub Record with the Bell Sound Studio Label. I Plan to sell it. I pressed up 300 copies of the Robby Lawson record. I was very young and only did a strike off stamper. I then went to the radio stations in the USA but I was pushing I Have Searched. The pressing plant started bootleging my record on Kyser Records and the stampers broke. They tried to make a copy from the 45 but it didn't sound right so a the record was breaking big in England and other places and they had to contact me for the tape masters. A record company in England called Stans Record Shop in Jersey City and asked how to contact me and Stan Called my Mother and I was away in college. They finally reached me and the rest is History. I was majoring in music a Rutgers University. The accapella group called The Royal Counts had 2 of the songs on thier first album and failed to put my name on it and that how I met Stan Krouse of Catamount records. The songs were Made Up My Mind. and The Time. Me and Robby Lawson went to school together and we sung in a group called The School Boys so did Jeffery Burges of the Soul Generations. I own the masters and rights to everything I ever produced and wrote.

Paul Kyser

Hi Paul. I have this pic of the superbs, can send you a high res version or mail you a print if you need it.

post-5120-1234322284_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Hi Paul. I have this pic of the superbs, can send you a high res version or mail you a print if you need it.

also, in the book "soul harmony singles" the lineup of the superbs are rhetta young, bertha addison, and madge quince. Is that correct? None of these include a rhonda franklin or phillis harris -- are these 3 names wrong?

My favorite tracks by the group are Love's Unpredictable and So glad you're home (great vietnam track).

Thanks.

Social source share

Guest Paul Kyser

OH my gosh I don't believe it! Please do both. E- Mail me a high Rez to paulpapabear@netzero.net

you can mail it to Paul Kyser P.O. Box 267 Fanwood New Jersey 07023 USA

Thankyou so much

Paul Kyser

Social source share

Guest Paul Kyser

also, in the book "soul harmony singles" the lineup of the superbs are rhetta young, bertha addison, and madge quince. Is that correct? None of these include a rhonda franklin or phillis harris -- are these 3 names wrong?

My favorite tracks by the group are Love's Unpredictable and So glad you're home (great vietnam track).

Thanks.

I this picture on the far left is Phillis Harris, In the middle is Arnita and to the far right is Phillis Sister, When this picture was taken Rhonda Had left the group. Rhetta young, Bertha and Madge quince took the other girls place and thier first single was The Saga of Willie Jones and I changed thier name to Devotion back when The Dawning of Love was released for the second time. I was the one who introduced Retta Young to Al Goodman of the Moments back then and they started going together and then got married. They are still together today. I got another group of girls later on to be devotion.

Paul Kyser

Social source share

Hello Everyone

Hi Paul

Welcome to Soul Source.

Really looking forward to your contribution.

Social source share

Hi Paul,

The wonderful world of the internet! Welcome to Soul Source - it's the perfect audience for you I guarantee.

I love the material you produced with Jimmy Briscoe & The Beavers in the 1970's. Is Jimmy still around and do you have any uptempo stuff by him in the can from back then?

Ian D :lol:

Ian, some excellent cuts on Jimmy and the Beavers on that sweet soul CD series of "Battle of the Bands" some years ago ...

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Great to have you on board Paul.

I'm sure you'll have plenty of questions to field.

I'm a big fan of your records.

Richard

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Hi Paul ,

I'm just wondering as to whether you had any involvement with the P - Vine reissue of the Soul Generation's wonderful "Beyond body & soul" lp ?.

And secondly what track from the album do you rate most ?

Edited by Richard Bergman
Social source share

Hey Paul fantastic to see you on here. Like all your sweet soul ballad stuff - and of course Robbie Lawson and the Pi Kappa label. :lol: D

We all love a bit of Calenders "Hypertension" it was groundbreaking funk in it's day, but what do you remember the group Storm? And what was the connection with First Class who also recorded a version of "She comes up"?

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Guest Billy D

Hello Everyone

Billy D from Newcastle saying Welcome Aboard Paul, looking forward to hearing all about the stuff you have done over the years (record wise of course ....lol.....) .......

Welcome

Billy

Social source share

Hello Everyone

Now that's a history, and what a fantastic one too. Welcome to soul source Paul, and a thread that I for one, am looking forward to reading.

Dawn

Edited by sister dawn
Social source share

Guest brianhorton

:lol: .Hi Paul and welcome to SS.

Did you have any input on "Wont you please(be my baby) - Superlatives on Dynamics,,cheers,,Kev :D

Paul, great to have you on the forum sharing your knowledge, could you give us a bit of info about the Nu Sound Express on Silver Dollar, their version of "I've been trying" is one of the best for me.

Social source share

Hello Everyone

Hi Paul, good to see you on SS. Welcome.

I dug out an interview with you conducted by Tim Ashibende quite a few years back. It's a great interview, a real insight into your early career. I've posted a few photos that went with the article. Hope you don't mind. If Tim wouldn't mind and people are interested I could scan in the entire article. Let me know what you think.

Regards

Kev

post-13983-1234372607_thumb.jpgpost-13983-1234372788_thumb.jpg

post-13983-1234372948_thumb.jpgpost-13983-1234373022_thumb.jpg

post-13983-1234373074_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Welcome to Soul Source Paul , Burning Sensation is one of my all time favourite records .Can you remember who played the Sax on this track ? Also what gave you the idea of starting the record really slow [ almost so it sounds like it's playing at the wrong speed ] .Love " Invitation to the world " by Jimmy Briscoe on Wanderick also .Best wishes ,Eddie

Social source share

Guest Stuart Raith

Paul - whatever happened to Mr Robbie Lawson?

Social source share

Welcome to Soul Source Paul , Burning Sensation is one of my all time favourite records .Can you remember who played the Sax on this track ? Also what gave you the idea of starting the record really slow [ almost so it sounds like it's playing at the wrong speed ] .Love " Invitation to the world " by Jimmy Briscoe on Wanderick also .Best wishes ,Eddie

My fave from that album is "No One Can Love You Like I Do". Still think that's a beaut..........

Ian D :unsure:

Social source share

I this picture on the far left is Phillis Harris, In the middle is Arnita and to the far right is Phillis Sister, When this picture was taken Rhonda Had left the group. Rhetta young, Bertha and Madge quince took the other girls place and thier first single was The Saga of Willie Jones and I changed thier name to Devotion back when The Dawning of Love was released for the second time. I was the one who introduced Retta Young to Al Goodman of the Moments back then and they started going together and then got married. They are still together today. I got another group of girls later on to be devotion.

Paul Kyser

thanks, I emailed you the picture and will mail it to you soon. Any connection between Devotion and the Devonnes on Colossus? Your name is not on the Devonnes 45 but it has the same publishing ("legacy")? I can post a devonnes pic if it would help. Thanks.

Social source share

Guest lifeandsoul

Paul - whatever happened to Mr Robbie Lawson?

think i saw somewhere that he's a reverend down louisiana way or somewhere - is that right?

Social source share

Hello Everyone

Welcome aboard Paul, what a fantastic body of work you've been involved with. I really love the Ebonys and the Rhyze song 'Bizaar' always gets me on the dancefloor wink.gif

Social source share

Guest Paul Kyser

Hi Paul,

The wonderful world of the internet! Welcome to Soul Source - it's the perfect audience for you I guarantee.

I love the material you produced with Jimmy Briscoe & The Beavers in the 1970's. Is Jimmy still around and do you have any uptempo stuff by him in the can from back then?

Ian D biggrin.gif

Hey Ian

Yes I do. I have about 8 songs never released. Uptempo and slow songs.

Social source share

Guest Paul Kyser

Hi Paul ,

I'm just wondering as to whether you had any involvement with the P - Vine reissue of the Soul Generation's wonderful "Beyond body & soul" lp ?.

And secondly what track from the album do you rate most ?

Hey Richard

I'd say Body and Soul.

Social source share

Guest Paul Kyser

Hey Paul fantastic to see you on here. Like all your sweet soul ballad stuff - and of course Robbie Lawson and the Pi Kappa label. thumbup.gif D

We all love a bit of Calenders "Hypertension" it was groundbreaking funk in it's day, but what do you remember the group Storm? And what was the connection with First Class who also recorded a version of "She comes up"?

Steve G

You guys do your home work. Yes I produced Storm and Storm was a mixture of other groups. What label did first class record She comes up. Are you sure it's the same song?

Social source share

Guest Paul Kyser

yes.gif .Hi Paul and welcome to SS.

Did you have any input on "Wont you please(be my baby) - Superlatives on Dynamics,,cheers,,Kev thumbup.gif

Kev

No I didn't I recorded The Superlatives on UpTite Records. I Still Love You, and We're so Lonely.

I also Recorded a song on the Superlatives on Catamount Records called "Straight From The Army" and as song called I Won't Cry. the tapes for some reason got lost.

Social source share

Guest Paul Kyser

Paul, great to have you on the forum sharing your knowledge, could you give us a bit of info about the Nu Sound Express on Silver Dollar, their version of "I've been trying" is one of the best for me.

Brian

I've been tryin was the B side of the record and The band went to Buffalo New York to perform and Ain't it Good Enough was the A side. They never practiced the B Side after we recorded it. The Top DJ called Houndog in Buffalo NY loved the B side and all of the jock played the B side. When the NuSounds did thier show and performed Ain't it good enough. The crowed just stood thier and said OK now do you hit song and the NuSounds said we did. The crowed said no do I've been trying is the hit up there. The NuSound express almost fell over. They performed the song bearly. From that time on they put the song in thier list.

By the way The NuSounds latter name was changed to Rhyze. Rhyze is the NuSound express.

Social source share

Guest Paul Kyser

HELLO PAUL CAN YOU REMEMBER BEED INTERVIEWED FOR A SOUL MAGAZINE CALLED TRACKS TO MY MIND ? IS IT TRUE MOST OF THE ORIGINAL COPIES OF BURNING SENSATION ENDED UP IN A SALVAION ARMY SKIP SOMEWHERE IN NEW JERSEY? ITS SO GOOD TO HAVE YOU ON HERE ,A PRIVELEDGE INFACT.

BAZ A

Baz

That is almost true. I really didn't have the money to press up a lot of records. I have a few and just a few just 3 of the original copies left. I plan to auction of the origional Master disc from Bell Sound that I approve the mix to be mastered. It is the only copy and a collectors item.

Social source share

Guest Paul Kyser

Hi Paul, good to see you on SS. Welcome.

I dug out an interview with you conducted by Tim Ashibende quite a few years back. It's a great interview, a real insight into your early career. I've posted a few photos that went with the article. Hope you don't mind. If Tim wouldn't mind and people are interested I could scan in the entire article. Let me know what you think.

Regards

Kev

post-13983-1234372607_thumb.jpgpost-13983-1234372788_thumb.jpg

post-13983-1234372948_thumb.jpgpost-13983-1234373022_thumb.jpg

post-13983-1234373074_thumb.jpg

My oh My

How I remember that interview. I lost a little weight since that time. It's great to hear from you again.

Social source share

Guest Paul Kyser

Eddie

I used to play for a church and thats how some songs were done. You just build up. The Sax player was one of the studio musicians at Cameo Parkway Recording studio. With Thom Bell on keyboards and I did the over dub. I used 2 drummers. one on the actual session and another on the overdub to give it that driving beat. The background singers were The Superlatives.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!