PETE LAWSON

Just thought i'd mention that it's Pete's anniversary today!

Can hardly believe it's 11 years ago that the soul scene lost one of it's most colourful characters!!

Love him or hate him you couldn't help but admire and respect him!

NOBODY loved Soul like Pete Lawson -

and i very much doubt ever will....

Loads,

Joan xxxx

Social source share

• Replies 11
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

DITTO JOAN, HAD THE PLEASURE OF MEETING HIM IN THE LATE 80'S WHEN HE STAYED AT NETTIES HOUSE IN WIGAN. WENT TO MANY A NITER WITH HIM AFTER THAT. GOT SOME GREAT TUNES OF HIM THEN. ALSO STILL HAVE A WIGAN TAPE WHERE DJ ANNOUNCES 'NEXT TRACK IS GOING OUT TO PETE LAWSON, THIS IS RAY AGEE, ALIAS JAMES CONWELL & 'LOVE IS A LOSING GAME'' - MAGIC.

GRANT

Social source share

The man is sorely missed.

Pure passion for the music and the scene that can never be replicated.

Those who knew Pete will never forget him.

Byrney

Social source share

Pete was a good mate of mine back in the early to mid '70s when I live in Ormskirk. I remember at one of the Burnley Mecca All dayers in 74/75 me and Gossy were taking the piss out of a certain Blackpool DJ giving it some "hero worship" he turned round to us with a smile on his face which quickly dropped as he said "Oh! your Pete Lawsons mates aren't you". He was a great guy and is surely missed.

All the best Pete RIP

Paul Rimmer

Social source share

I feel proud to be able to say that Pete Lawson was one of my best mates -

a right pain in the arse at times but that only made you love him more!

Talking about records - i actually got my Doris Smith -"No Good Guy"-Limelight off Gilly and Nogger at Keele the weekend before he passed and it was Pete who gave me the money for it - £40!

That record means more to me than anything - partly because Pete bought it for me but partly because it reminds me so much of that weekend.

His last weekend....he had a soul nite in Burscough on the Friday night and he was one of the Dj's - anyone who was there will remember just how nervous he was about doing a spot!! Shitting it would be more like it!!

That was the thing about Pete - those who didn't know him personally would never believe there was a side like that to him - but he was a very sensitive guy, larger than life most definitely but with a heart of pure gold.

Without Pete Lawson the scene would not be what it is today -

and for that we are all truly grateful....!

Joan xxxx

Social source share

I found Pete quite difficult to get on with until he spent a weekend with us in the old flat in North Wales and Pete and I ended up in a pub having some lunch together and there are saw the real Pete a gentle decent guy who simply loved SOUL, he was a true one off and i can not beleive it's eleven years since his tragic passing, god bless you Pete.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

I Still miss Pete and hardly a week goes by without me thinkin of him, something always crop,s up a 45 a name a memory and Pete,s always in there.

I started mating with Pete back in early 73 and we had some terrifc times at the Highland Room and nites around the country some great memory,s of Pete

at VA VA,s in Bolton ,we started getting 45,s from the States and found some pretty good contacts between us to send stuff over to us, Pete lived for Northern Soul you only had to look at the tattoo on his chest to see what the music meant to him it was his life..Pete could be a difficult plonker sometime but the guy was deep down a really sensitive and lovely bloke who thought a lot about the less fortunate

people of the world when i was seriously ill in 1980 and had given up hope of ever getting better Pete was a tower of strength he would phone every day come down to my house for a few days giving me loads of support and help really cheering me up when i was down, I loved the guy really and i was honoured along with

Big Mell, Little Mick (his two best mates from Ormskirk ) and Dave Molloy to be a Pall Bearer at Pete,s Funeral..For those who did,nt come the service in a packed Parish Church in Ormskirk it was more than a fitting tribute to a Legend of the Soul Scene! Dave Godin,s moving sermon will stick with me for all time and the wake

afterwards in the pub showed how much Peter was loved by those who knew him.

The ride home to Lowton in Matchies Volvo Sport was a classic four in the back three in the front in a car built for two and a midget .. A great day on such a sad one Pete would have loved that ride home , mind you we would probally have thrown him out after a couple of miles for doing our yeds in !!!!

Peter Lawson Legend the scene is a sader place without him.....

GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN............Ian Cunliffe proud to be your friend...

Social source share

Well what can i say except that you didn't mention FRED!!

Fred Lawson - to those who didn't know Pete personally - was Pete's cat!

Fred, though, was no ordinary cat!!

Oh no - this cat was definitely a Lawson!

All i can say is - like Pete - Fred had the knack of being "misunderstood".

He comes walking into the house one day with half his head missing and another time with a noose around his neck!!

And FUNNY - in his own feline way every bit as funny as Pete!

Completely devestated Pete when Fred sadly passed on.

Pete wrote an obituary about Fred and buried him at the bottom of the garden.

Which, i am sad to say, is just bare earth because nothing has grown in that spot since that day....not a flower ...not even a blade of grass!! Go figure..?

HAPPY DAYS INDEED.

Peter Lawson was, IS, soul. If they were to put the word Northern Soul into the dictionary it woul read

Northern Soul - PETE LAWSON.

End of.

Loads Joan xxx

Social source share

F**k me can it really be 11 years???

I, along with so many overs owe so much to Pete, even if at times he could leave your nerves in shreds!

I've so many memories of Pete and probally not a day goes by where I don't find a record sleeve with some mammoth rant or, sales spiel scrawled all over it!

Years ago when I was still living with my mum, I came home from work to hear her chatting away in the kitchen to find Pete tucking in to egg & chips after turning up unannounced!

And of Fred! the time he sellotaped a toy cat to the window and convinced his nan it was Fred.

Too many things I can think of I can't repeat here too!

Still miss you mate

Tony

Social source share

Well what can i say except that you didn't mention FRED!!

Fred Lawson - to those who didn't know Pete personally - was Pete's cat!

Loads Joan  xxx

=====================================

Talkin of  Fred the cat --

Me and Pete where upstairs in his bedroom lookin through

some 45,s he had just picked up ,when i heard a noise

behind Pete ,he moved a couple of record boxes and there was Fred the Cat munchin that great Edwin Johnson 45

Aint that enough to make a man cry ,Pete went fuc--n Hell

and grabbed it off Fred it was full of little teeth marks and scratches

,Pete,s answer to this was it was shite sound quality anyway,

I,ll put it in my sales box for £5 some dickhead will buy it

He He.................. IAN C

FRED THE CAT

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!