Peanut Duck

Birder66

Certainly John spun at the lengendary Morecombe Pier allnighters early 80s and at venues out and about b4 that, have a tape where he introduces the instru' as 'The Dance Track' but certainly Keb is the first I remember spinning the vocal. Johns tastes at the time were superb and many a sound he spun ended up on my Wants, only just got a Walter & Sisters after almost 26 yrs of searching!!!

i remember marc farley playing at the pier morecambe also

Social source share

I had a look at that boxset and it states 'Licensed from Mary Hill Music'? I'm not the wiser unless that's the publisher of Peanut Duck, but even then they wouldn't own the right in the recording?

My understanding is that Mary Hill was Frank Virtue's wife and a number of tracks recorded at the Virtue studio ended up being placed with their publishing company

Andy

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest son of stan

Seem to remember an extremely dubious claim that it was actually a young Linda Jones singing.

Dx

Sounds nothing like her. Also, it references 'Cool Jerk'. (1966) and obviously a pisstake of the the duck dance craze (Willie Hutch and Jackie Lee did duck records in 66). So it seems safe to assune it was recorded in 66. Linda Jones would have been 21/22 in 1966.

Would love to know the story. Sounds like they were messing about or possibly just workshopping lyrics. Always thought the singer sounds like she's drunk or something! She is obviously havi g a good time. Really spontaneous and joyous! Can't think of anything else quite like it.

Edited by son of stan
Social source share

Guest son of stan

...further speculation but sounds to me like the drummer wrote this. The piano and guitar (can't hear any other instruments) are just vamping along with him. Whoever it is is some drummer and LOUD!!! So if it was done in Philadelphia, which drummers were about in those days?My money is on Earl Young...

Edited by son of stan
Social source share

Sounds nothing like her. Also, it references 'Cool Jerk'. (1966) and obviously a pisstake of the the duck dance craze (Willie Hutch and Jackie Lee did duck records in 66). So it seems safe to assune it was recorded in 66. Linda Jones would have been 21/22 in 1966.

Would love to know the story. Sounds like they were messing about or possibly just workshopping lyrics. Always thought the singer sounds like she's drunk or something! She is obviously havi g a good time. Really spontaneous and joyous! Can't think of anything else quite like it.

'Extremely Dubious' - does that suggest I actually think it's her?

Edited by DaveNPete
Social source share

You need to let her know she is sat on a gold mine if she hasn't knackered it up. It's tragic what happens to some rare soul historical items.

If its Sally then its probably defo gone but I will ask around and see. She's not the easiest person to get hold of but I can put the feelers out. 

Social source share

such a brilliant record,a time and a place record to many,it tore the roof off for us stafford freaks when played,and of course theres the famous story of tommo dangling a plastic duck over the stage at stafford one night whilst it was being played ! great days

jason

• Helpful 1
Social source share

...further speculation but sounds to me like the drummer wrote this. The piano and guitar (can't hear any other instruments) are just vamping along with him. Whoever it is is some drummer and LOUD!!! So if it was done in Philadelphia, which drummers were about in those days?My money is on Earl Young...

It's definitely a Dynodynamic / Harthon Production, you only have to listen to the players.  Fantastic track to dance to but they should have left the last 30 seconds or so as instrumental as I can't think of anything worse ever played on the scene apart from Sliced Tomatoes by Sounds Of Lancashire than that ending...God learn to ad lib properly woman!

Social source share

Guest Deadpool

Was that Sally who bradley gave it too? If it is then I live next door to her mother so can find out if its still intact or currently ticking 

Hi that looks like Neil formerly from Letchworth / Stevenage ???

Long time no see, she was a skinnete more into Ska than Soul (at the time) she was from outside of bedford near Hitchin, does that sound right??  Sorry can't remember her name though...

Jay

Social source share

Guest Deadpool

Hi that looks like Neil formerly from Letchworth / Stevenage ???

Long time no see, she was a skinnete more into Ska than Soul (at the time) she was from outside of bedford near Hitchin, does that sound right??  Sorry can't remember her name though...

Jay

Hold on there was another Neil from near St Neots, not sure which one u are

Social source share

Hold on there was another Neil from near St Neots, not sure which one u are

There is but one Highlander lol. Neil from Letchworth mate as Pete S rightly pointed out (Hi btw Pete) and yes its that Sally but her BF at the time was very into Northern and I know he did have it in his sweaty palms at one stage as were discussing the lack of details on the acetate. 

Social source share

quack,quack!

Oops! :)

If you hate it so much, why are you reading a thread about it? If you don't like it, duck off.  :lol:

Or waddle you do Phil? :P

It's definitely a Dynodynamic / Harthon Production, you only have to listen to the players.  Fantastic track to dance to but they should have left the last 30 seconds or so as instrumental as I can't think of anything worse ever played on the scene apart from Sliced Tomatoes by Sounds Of Lancashire than that ending...God learn to ad lib properly woman!

And I thought it was just me......it spoils what would have been a good record.

Social source share

such a brilliant record,a time and a place record to many,it tore the roof off for us stafford freaks when played,and of course theres the famous story of tommo dangling a plastic duck over the stage at stafford one night whilst it was being played ! great days

jason

Everything in a record a soul snob like me should hate, but f**k me it worked, Time and place can never be extinguished from impact of music on emotions and memory. I F**king love it.

And was this not what the late Lenny from London wore flippers in tribute, an ironic gesture as it turned out.

Mad, bad and glorious times.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Deadpool

What!  :ohmy:  make it into a clock! Are you serious? :rofl:

Was it the original acetate? Was there any information on the label?

It has (or had) a label yellow Virtue Studios label on it, was an old school 60s acetate very thick and weighed a ton.  Not sure if the Virtue label was Virtue or Virtue Studios.  Did not take a photo of it, no Facebook or Smartphones around back in the day, think there was in issue of Echoes (Formerly Black Echoes) music mag with a picture of the label.  Reference it being worth a Goldmine, when I swapped it for a Scooter, I remember the my mates Dad pulling me to one for a question and answer interrogation (not knowing how much records were sold for on the soul scene at that time, and why a 7" record could be worth more than a fiver)  asking me if I had any magic beans for sale also (he was a real likeable character) if the records still about unscaved it could well turn out to be ones of those magic beans.

Social source share

Guest Deadpool

Ok scanner decides to play up so will post better resolution one when I can but this is the article in Echoes that features scan of said acetate. 

Wow cool, that is the article, should ave kept those old copies of Echoes, even though I never bought any, yes I was one of those tight assed Soulies on Saturday and Fridays in WH Smiths reading Echoes writing down the adverts for all nighters which were on at the time (you know who you were).  It was expensive to buy think it was 50p !!!

Social source share

Guest Deadpool

There is but one Highlander lol. Neil from Letchworth mate as Pete S rightly pointed out (Hi btw Pete) and yes its that Sally but her BF at the time was very into Northern and I know he did have it in his sweaty palms at one stage as were discussing the lack of details on the acetate. 

Hi Neil

Can you "still" back roll into handstands, hahah.

Jay

Social source share

Guest Deadpool

Hi Neil

Can you "still" back roll into handstands, hahah.

Jay

Maybe Brad got the record back?  Knowing how acrimonious breakups can be, or Sally's still got it?  Remember Only Fools and Horses and that old pocket watch Del Boy used to have not thought to be worth anything....we all know how that ond ended 

Social source share

Guest Deadpool

I'm not sure how they licensed an unknown acetate without finding out who the label or producer was. You or I could have licensed them it but it wouldn't make it legal.

I'm pretty sure there's just the one original copy.

Could be an early Patti Labelle ???

Social source share

Guest Deadpool

, and

should be glad I didn't get my hands on it , I would have used it for target practice .. awful racket

Hi Motown Dave

I'm new to this forum so not sure on creating a new discussion.  Do you thing we still would have had a decent Northern Soul Scene without the Motown Mafia???  Clarification:  In 50s/60s America Black Music was controlled by the big 4 record labels Motown, King, Chess and Atlantic and their rumoured links with Mafia controlled American Radio (i.e. the Motown Mafia rumours), without which any new studios could not get a lookin and the demo copies barred from airtime, or it was a mircale they received any at all, new studios and new releases had a hard time surving or even getting a record out there, which is why you get a lot of rarer records from downstate rather than upstate.  Yes you could probally play a Northern Soul All Nighter with only music from Motown, King, Chess and Atlantic, but if it was not for the Motown Mafia (a generic term for how labels at that time operated in the 60s) closing down new studios, or ensuring demos/new releases from the smaller studios never got a look in then we may not have ever ended up with the "rare soul" element of Northern Soul.  The Motown Mafia effect probably contributed to even small studios arising or even groups hiring studios for an acetate release/pressing of the new single.

What do you think?   If there never was a Motown Mafia would we be without Rare Soul as we know it, yes there would still be Rare Soul records but the Mafia effect probably contributed to ensure we were gifted with Rarities?

Social source share

Guest Deadpool

Its a Virtue acetate with nowt written on it except the hand written title, just checked the scrapbooks (knew they would be useful one day) and seen the article on Stafford where the label scan is printed alongside

I'm sure there was some scratched wording along side the inner exit tracks on the acetate (which you got with a lot of demos), that could give a clue to the real artist

Social source share

Guest Deadpool

I'm sure there was some scratched wording along side the inner exit tracks on the acetate (which you got with a lot of demos), that could give a clue to the real artist

My memory may be wrong but im sure there was the word label scratched alongside the inner track (labelle?), or it was all a dream :?)

Social source share

Maybe Brad got the record back?  Knowing how acrimonious breakups can be, or Sally's still got it?  Remember Only Fools and Horses and that old pocket watch Del Boy used to have not thought to be worth anything....we all know how that ond ended 

Ive FB Sally so we may get an answer. Not sure of the scratched in working on the acetate as i never got a real up close look, just having to go on the scan in Echoes (as aboveO 

Social source share

Wow cool, that is the article, should ave kept those old copies of Echoes, even though I never bought any, yes I was one of those tight assed Soulies on Saturday and Fridays in WH Smiths reading Echoes writing down the adverts for all nighters which were on at the time (you know who you were).  It was expensive to buy think it was 50p !!!

Know what you mean Jay, 50p for at best 2 pages and usually not even that! 

Social source share

What's the full story behind this tune - is it Marsha Gee, does it have an issue, how much do they go for. How easy would it be to get one? Got a horrid 8ts boot

:hatsoff2: Hi without reading any of the replies the Marsha Gee record was discovered by Butch in New York, full story is on soul source, the Bootleg that you dislike, turned many people onto the record as there is little chance of getting a copy, sometimes a bootleg is ok as this one is :D DAVE K,

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest son of stan

When those Joker bootlegs came out, I remember them being sold on the door as you paid to get in at the 100 Club!

I think there were 3 on that occasion but a fourth one emerged at some stage. Wasn't one of them Tony Middleton 'Spanish Maiden' ? Some of them had 3 tracks..I can remember Metros 'Since I found My Baby' and HB Barnum 'Hurts too much to Cry'...Can anyone oblige with more details..?

Edited by son of stan
Social source share

When those Joker bootlegs came out, I remember them being sold on the door as you paid to get in at the 100 Club!

I think there were 3 on that occasion but a fourth one emerged at some stage. Wasn't one of them Tony Middleton 'Spanish Maiden' ? Some of them had 3 tracks..I can remember Metros 'Since I found My Baby' and HB Barnum 'Hurts too much to Cry'...Can anyone oblige with more details..?

Marsha Gee, Enchanters & H.B.Barnum

Metros (SIFMB), Jimmy Mack(MWIOF) & Tony Middleton (Spanish Maiden)

Edited by billb
Social source share

Guest Dave Ward

I liked John Vincent 'cos he played some off-the-wall stuff, and I'm sure he played it first. I sat on the stage and swung me legs. waiting for something better, like Life - Cats Eyes, which was properly WTF ?

Edited by Dave Ward
Social source share

See here. At least 4 releases on Joker. The fifth one listed originates from Germany. Mid/late 90s. They used the UK Joker label to press 3 tunes in demand on the scooter scene back then.

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Deadpool

I agree but what puzzles me, the Penniman reissue has a fantastic sound quality from what I remember so they sure haven't dubbed it from one of the bootlegs/reissues but at least from the original acetate or even master tape? Is there really no hint on the label or producer on the acetate?

I'm sure it has p label scratched on the innner tracks, which is my theory for Patti Labell plus the ages/dates and areas all fit.  Then again what established artist is going to admit to being ga ga go goo at one time in their career, maybe Lady GaGa should re-release this track, as I'm sure it would suit her style.  Wack gigi go go, dibibly dig i boo boo.  Yea I reckon no establish artist is gonna admit to recording it.... my Lady GaGa would do a perfect cover version (btw don't be thinking im a fan of her music).  Ha ha

DeadPool..... Hi Dave (sweaty palms n death threats....  all of course prior to changing telephone numbers)

Social source share

Guest Deadpool

Not without visiting A&E after Jay :-)) Still got the moves but in a more gentle style

I tried Aikido for a few years, and kept being asked to be Uke, cause I could do the flips n rolls like in the movies, used to swallow dive to break fall out of nikkyo until some nasty master redirected me onto my elbow.  Fortunately I wall lucky to find some real masters of yiquan, chens style and bagua.  If you ever start a MA club BTW don't advertise on your flyers "police will be taught a lesson for free" they have zero sense of irony, and respond with a slight over reaction.  When we were all young funny how soulies did not like the move they could not do!  Funny how that one works, even 20/30 years later I've read posts about people berating the peacock elements of Northern Soul.  I allways remember the early Stafford Top of the World events (pre 60s newies) when the Mecca and Wigan crowd merged to keep the scene going (think Dave Thorley was running it not sure).  They all say Keb was good and he was, but Stafford was one of my first nighters and the dancers I remember were a cross between Bill "Bojangles" Robinson, Fred Astair and moves from the Cotton Club combined with Crazy Legs from the Rock Steady Crew.... these guys were unvbelievably brilliant dancers !!!!!

Social source share

Guest Deadpool

I tried Aikido for a few years, and kept being asked to be Uke, cause I could do the flips n rolls like in the movies, used to swallow dive to break fall out of nikkyo until some nasty master redirected me onto my elbow.  Fortunately I wall lucky to find some real masters of yiquan, chens style and bagua.  If you ever start a MA club BTW don't advertise on your flyers "police will be taught a lesson for free" they have zero sense of irony, and respond with a slight over reaction.  When we were all young funny how soulies did not like the move they could not do!  Funny how that one works, even 20/30 years later I've read posts about people berating the peacock elements of Northern Soul.  I allways remember the early Stafford Top of the World events (pre 60s newies) when the Mecca and Wigan crowd merged to keep the scene going (think Dave Thorley was running it not sure).  They all say Keb was good and he was, but Stafford was one of my first nighters and the dancers I remember were a cross between Bill "Bojangles" Robinson, Fred Astair and moves from the Cotton Club combined with Crazy Legs from the Rock Steady Crew.... these guys were unvbelievably brilliant dancers !!!!!

As for shuffling and these YouTube teach your self vids, to bad they'd never get the chance to see Duncan (think that was his name, that boy could shuffle like u were watching a Fred Astair movie.... number one dude   !!!)

Social source share

Your right Deadpool, Stafford saw a whole new dance style emerge again from the Northern scene and I certainly remember thinking that the 6Ts Mafia look and dance was fantastic. The style of the sounds also needed that new dance floor flow. 

Chalky I think I read somewhere else that it was meant to be a rather pissed Patti LaBelle and hence why it never got to see light of day. Not sure if we can take this as the truth but defo read this and I'm certain we are never going to find out but I do kind of like that version. 

Social source share

Your right Deadpool, Stafford saw a whole new dance style emerge again from the Northern scene and I certainly remember thinking that the 6Ts Mafia look and dance was fantastic. The style of the sounds also needed that new dance floor flow. 

Chalky I think I read somewhere else that it was meant to be a rather pissed Patti LaBelle and hence why it never got to see light of day. Not sure if we can take this as the truth but defo read this and I'm certain we are never going to find out but I do kind of like that version. 

Hi mate

I don't think I've ever read the comment about a drunk PL but I have heard it, I think even drunk she could sing better than that.  Maybe the whole 45 was a result of a drunken jam?  Besides I would have thought at around this time PL was tied up with Atlantic?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest micksoul

I remembered seeing it in a sales box that night at the front of the 100 club stage  , Im sure it was Ian Clarkes so he must have sold it on Kebs behalf

Keb sold the 7 inch virtue dub [vocal & inst ] to Jason Haynes of Bedford many moons ago 1987ish because he showed me it on the nite @ The 100 club . Price £ 100 . Jason has sold it ages ago.

Edited by micksoul
Social source share

Cant find where I read about it anywhere on net but defo did somewhere! There was also a story it was the cleaner who was completely off her tits (surprisingly - not!) but I guess its going to remain a mystery unless the session guys or producer step up Chalky. I do like reading the theories though, such is this strange soulful world we choose to be in.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Deadpool

The Peanut Duck has a big net cult following, especialy with the Girls who write about it on the internet, don't know why the singer has not owned up to recording it, but how many times have we had big northern soul monster tracks, and the American stars don't recall recording them, I remember Stafford Top of the World Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes singing Get Out and let my cry, but kinda pre-apologising that they had not sung the track in a long long time and only re learned the lyrics....  I was never one for enjoying the live bands, most because they did'nt seem to understand why we wanted to hear them, and they always thought they were there for their "hit songs".   

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!