Bournemouth University Soul Nite 14/02/2009

Matt

DEAR ALL

I REALLY ENJOYED THE SOUL NITE LAST NITE- I THOUGHT THERE WAS A GOOD CROSS SECTION OF SOUL ALLNIGHT- I ALWAYS ENJOY THE EARLY SPOTS AS YOU ALWAYS HERE SOME NEW SOUNDS. THE CROWD WERE APPRECIATIVE AS ALWAYS AND I REALLY ENJOYED DOING A SPOT. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK DAVE AND VIV- LOOK FORWARD TO THE NEXT ONE IN APRIL WITH A GREAT LINE UP OF DJ'S- FROM MATT

• Replies 24
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest steph murphy

Thanks once again to the Bournemouth gang. We really enjoyed the friendly atmosphere and great music. We will return as it was worth the trip up from Paignton.

Cheers guys

Rob and Steph Murphy :thumbsup:

Great venue, great music..............Dave Abbott is solid, fantastically new & exciting sounds with some great top unhammered rareities too. Matt is one of the nicest, unassuming DJ/Collectors you could ever wish to hear or meet & as usual did a wonderful set & went down a storm, how Matt has never received wider recognition is a mystery........Dave finished the night on a high with the sounds he knows the regulars enjoy without being too predictable.

All in all a very enjoyable night with some great company & music, even went home with a few nice tunes, courtesy of Andy Hutchins & Shay, some great records for sale I must say.............my only gripe would be the lack of support from some areas of the local scene, it was reasonably busy last night, but should have been rammed, quality all the way.

Thanks for a great night & keep at it.......

Russ

Morning all,

Many thanks to Matt for starting this.Don't forget your playlist mate.Thanks for the kind comments Russ,Dave M & Steph.Good to make your aquaintance plus your husband Rob.

Have to agree what all the above have said.Great sets from all the guys.Dave Abbott played some fantastic tunes.Matt should have more spots.Danny has some top tunes in his box as well.

We'd like to thank everyone that turned up and enjoyed themselves and danced.A really good night.

There was just one complaint and I'm going to deal with that.The heating.It was on but unfortunately so was the air con.I tried to find the controls as did Claire the manager on the night to no avail.So am going to see the S.U. manager to get it sorted for our next night in April.

Will post mine and Danny's playlists later.

Dave & Viv.

. As Russ Vickers has stated. What amazes me about Bournemouth University soul nights is that there are only a few locals, with the main bulk of the good turn-out being made up of ever changing faces that flock in from far and wide.

. Consequently, I've found myself conversing with many a diverse individual at this venue over the past year or so. Last Saturday was no exception, with a notable first time conversation with Steve C, which probably lasted no more than five minutes. But in that time Steve packed in so much from an impassioned standpoint, underlining aspects of the soul scene, that left me wondering? That is, what I might be missing at particular venues further afield in The Midlands and up north.

. Simon Preston will be laying on additional soul nights at Bournemouth Railway Club, bringing in D.J.s that will probably embody the underplayed rarities that Steve espouses. I'll be intrigued to see what develops.

. Have you ever made a request and later regretted it? Well, I did on Saturday.

. Dave Morris once mentioned he had a particular favourite of mine, but only on an old bootleg. Being a mear mortal, I wanted him to play it. But Dave wouldn't on the basis that it wasn't on an original label. However, Dave did know that Danny North had a copy and after a long sabatical, Danny finally made a return to the university on Saturday. Now, Terrible Tom - We were made for each other is one of those gritty old stompers that requires energy to give it full justice on a dancefloor. But when Dave got Danny to play it and announced it as my request, I was comfortably seated in the middle of a relaxed conversation and just not ready for it. My eyes rolled back and I despaired, "Oh no! Not now! I'm not warmed up for this!" But there was no way I could duck out of it, otherwise the name Mortimore would have been mud with our host. So I got up and did my best to put some zeal into my steps, even though it just wasn't in me. I suffered a little and rightfully so.

. Just the same. Thanks Danny and Dave for playing it.

. To me, these soul nights are not just about the music, for as I've often said, there's a kinship and camaraderie. But also, if you're lucky enough to share this with your other half, last Saturday as Valentines Night had further significance. I think of all the long term couples that Jan & I have acquainted ourselves with on this scene and know that we've all made our mistakes, had our ups & downs and yet still be devoted to each other.

. After all the years, what can be so special is that you can still look into the others eyes and be thinking and feeling the very same thing - "That you're the lucky one!"

I'm suprised you didnt need an ear transplant :thumbsup::thumbup::ohmy: .

Russ

Danny's play list.

1st set 8.30 - 9.10

Howard Tate - Half A Man - Verve

Turn Of The Century - Money Can't - Bumpshop (Great tune)

Homer Strickland - I'll Get Over You - Jadin

Montclairs - Unwanted Love - Paula

Dell Vikings - Finger Poppin' Woman - Fee Bee

Lorraine Rudolph - Keep Coming Back For More - Jetstream

Chocolate Syrup - You've Got A Lot To Give - Brown Dog

Len Jewell - Elevator Song - Pzazz

Bobby Taylor - Just A Little Bit Closer - Mowest

Hesitations - Is This The Way To Treat A Girl - GWP

Steve Mancha - You're Still In My Heart - Groovesville

2nd set 11.00 - 11.45

Exits - Got To Have Money - Gemini

Billy Hambric - She Said Goodbye - Drum

Ronnie Love - Chills & Fever - Dot

Denise Lasalle - A Love Reputation - Chess

Mel Britt - She'll Come Running Back - FIP demo

Metros - Since I Found My Baby - RCA

Sheppards - Stubborn Heart - Mirwood

Terry Callier - Look At Me Now - Cadet

Tony Middleton - To The Ends Of The Earth - MGM demo

Herb Ward - Strange Change - Argo

Impressions - You Ought To Be In Heaven - ABC

Little Richard - I Don't Want To Discuss It - Okeh demo

Terrible Tom - We Were Made For Each Other - Maverick demo ( request)

Jesse Johnson - Left Out - Oldtown demo

Isley Bros - Why When The Love Is Gone - Tamla

Hesitations - I'm Not Built That Way - Kapp

Idle Few - People Thats Why - Blue Book w/demo

Jimmy "Soul" Clarke - I'll Be Your Champion - Soul Hawk

Fortson & Scott - Sweet Lover - Pzazz.

Can't remember all that I played but here's a selection -

The Apollas - Sorry Mama - Loma

The Ambers - I Love You Baby - Verve

The Olympics - Secret Agents - Mirwood w/demo

The Prophets - My Kind Of Girl -Stephanye

The Showmen - Our Love Will Grow - Action

Susan Maughan - That Other Place - Philips

Bettye Swann - The Heartache Is Gone - Abet

Calvin Williams - Lonely You'll Be - Atco

Mel Williams - Can It Be Me - Modern

Detroit Soul - All Of My Life - Music Town

Tee Fletcher - Happy Loving You - Shurfine demo

The Groove - Love ( Its Getting Better )- Wand

Kenny Hamber - Time - De-Jac w/demo

Edward Hamilton - I'm Gonna Love You - Mary Jane

Fred Hughes - Don't Let Me Down - Vee Jay

Johnny & Jake - I Need Your Love - Philips w/demo.

it was a great nite indeed and i very much enjoyed DJing, though towards the end i did find it hard to speak on the mic as stringing more than two words in a row was becoming harder as the nite went on...but as i talk bollox any way i doubt any one noticed.

Thanks to Jase and Liz for the warm hospitality and white wine and of course thanks to Dave and Viv for having me and for putting on a nite where they like to bring in different DJs - for which they should be applauded and supported - for this one that also was Matt and Danny, both lovely people with a great taste in records...

my playlist to follow...

Edited by Dave Abbott
Guest Dave Mortimore

I'm suprised you didnt need an ear transplant laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif .

Russ

. Funny you should say that Russ. I reckon on some subjects (not soul music), I've been known to talk the hind legs off a donkey. However, I think I met more than my match on Saturday. Steve did have to come up for air on occasions, so I did manage to say a couple of words here and there, before he continued churning out so much about this, that and the other. Next time I'll bring a tape recorder, so that I can later give my brain the time to consider everything he says.

. Is he always such a quick-fire, shoot from the hip conversationalist ? :D:lol::lol:

. Funny you should say that Russ. I reckon on some subjects (not soul music), I've been known to talk the hind legs off a donkey. However, I think I met more than my match on Saturday. Steve did have to come up for air on occasions, so I did manage to say a couple of words here and there, before he continued churning out so much about this, that and the other. Next time I'll bring a tape recorder, so that I can later give my brain the time to consider everything he says.

. Is he always such a quick-fire, shoot from the hip conversationalist ? laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Called "passion" fellas - you remember that Russ. Quite a few friends of mine would have been as "shoot from the hip" ish as I was Dave. If you think thats bad then I suggest you never approach Karl Heard!!!!!

Great night Dave. Music was spot on from all the DJ's and I enjoyed a good dance. Just such a pity that the 100's who frequent other South Coast events which don't have as open a music policy don't attend. Ah well there loss!!

Edited by SteveC

just a quick thanks to Dave & Viv for a bloody good night indeed, music was top class with a bit of something for everyone and how refreshing to hear quality tunes being spun by djs with good taste and knowledge in a great little venue with a bloody nice dance floor and good sound system too, drinks were bloody cheap and the only down side for me was that i was driving so couldnt take advantage of the cheap booze :ohmy::Dbiggrin.gif but the love hearts made up for it though :D

keep up the good work cos on what i experienced you will only go from strength to strength :thumbsup:

many thanks and see you soon

Bearsy & Marie,

ps, Russ thanks for the record, your right it is beautiful soul :yes:

MY PLAYLIST FROM THE NITE- NOT IN THIS ORDER- SORRY- GREAT CROWD AND I LOVE THESE SOUL NITES AS A PUNTER AND DJ- FROM MATT

DONI BURDICK- I HAVE FAITH IN YOU- SOUND IMPRESSION

BILL BUSH- I'M WAITING- RONN

RON BAXTER- THIS IS IT- OLE-9

DAVID COLEMAN- DROWN MY HEART-BARRY

THE CHARADES- THE KEY TO MY HAPPINESS- MGM

LARRY DAVIS- I'VE BEEN HURT SO MANY TIMES- KENT

FOUR TRACKS- LIKE MY LOVE FOR YOU- MANDINGO

AL GARDNER-SWEET BABY- GOOGA MOOGA

HONEY AND THE BEES- WHY DO YOU HURT THE ONE WHO LOVES YOU-ARCTIC

BONNIE HERMAN-HUSH DON'T CRY- COLUMBIA

EDWARD HAMILTON- BABY DON'T YOU WEEP- MARY JANE

THE ISLEY BROTHERS- THE SNAKE- WAND

THE JELLY BEANS-YOU DON'T MEAN ME NO GOOD-ESKEE

KING COLEMAN- BLACK BOTTOM BLUES- COLUMBIA

BOBBY KLINE- SAY SOMETHING NICE TO ME- MB

BILLY KEENE-WISHING AND HOPING-VAULT

LONNIE LESTER-YOU CAN'T GO-NU-TONE

OTIS LEE- HARD ROW TO HOE-QUAINT

LARRY LASTER-GO FOR YOURSELF-LOMA

THE MASQUERADERS- DO YOU LOVE ME BABY- WAND

PADDED CELL- MISTER MISERY-TODDLIN TOWN

THE Q- THAT'S THE WAY-HOUND

MARTHA STARR-LOVE IS THE ONLY SOLUTION- THELMA

HENRY STOGIN- MISERY-HAWK

JOE TEX- I WANNA BE FREE-DIAL

THE VAN DYKES-SAVE MY LOVE FOR A RAINY DAY- MALA

THE VOLUMES- THAT SAME OLD FEELING-IMPACT

NAOMI WILSON-DO YOU FEEL WHAT I FEEL-UNITED ARTISTS

21ST CENTURY-SHADOW OF A MEMORY-NOEL

JOE VALENTINE-I LOST THE ONLY LOVE I HAD-VAL

RANDY BROWN- I'M ALWAYS IN THE MOOD-PARACHUTE

DETROIT SPINNERS- I'VE GOT TO MAKE IT ON MY OWN- ATLANTIC

THE DECISIONS-STOP PLAYING AROUND-SUSSEX

TA FOR LISTENING X

What a fantastic set of plays from one of the nicest guys I have the priviledge of knowing and who has no time for politics. We could all learn a thing or two from Matt...especially and including me!!! Nice one mate :lol:

Edited by SteveC

just a quick thanks to Dave & Viv for a bloody good night indeed, music was top class with a bit of something for everyone and how refreshing to hear quality tunes being spun by djs with good taste and knowledge in a great little venue with a bloody nice dance floor and good sound system too, drinks were bloody cheap and the only down side for me was that i was driving so couldnt take advantage of the cheap booze :thumbsup::lol::lol: but the love hearts made up for it though :lol:

keep up the good work cos on what i experienced you will only go from strength to strength :g:

many thanks and see you soon

Bearsy & Marie,

ps, Russ thanks for the record, your right it is beautiful soul :lol:

Hi Bearsy & Marie,

Thanks for kind words and look forward to seeing you both soon.

Dave & Viv.

Morning all,

There was just one complaint and I'm going to deal with that.The heating.It was on but unfortunately so was the air con.I tried to find the controls as did Claire the manager on the night to no avail.So am going to see the S.U. manager to get it sorted for our next night in April.

Dave & Viv.

I've been in to see Richard the S.U. manager.Air con problem is now sorted and solved a problem he's had during the cold snap.Should be nice and toastie for next one in April.

i played at least this lot, not in that order though...but there are obviusly some missing from the second set...damn that white wine/lager mix :-)

Set 1. 9.50 to 10.30

Hyperions - Why You Wanna etc

Frankie & The Damons - Man From Soul

Mark V Unlimited - Gone

Ascots - A Few Feet From The Gutter

Clarence Townsend - I Found A New Love

Celest Hardie - You're Gone

Vanguards - Good Times Bad Times

Cliff Nobles - Love Is Alright

Soul Inc - My Proposal

Stemmons Express - Love Power

Harvey Averne - Never Learned To Dance

Kindly Shepherds - Lend Me Your Hand

Flash McKinley - I'll Rescue You

Vince Dena - Love Can't Be Modernized

Thelma Lindsey - Why Weren't You There

Bobby Wells - Let's Cop A Groove

Belles - Don't Pretend

Blue Jays - Point of View

Set 2 11.45 to 12.30

Williams & Ledbetter - Show Some Sign

Irma Routen - I Will Sacrifice

Lavells - Share Him

The Jokers - Soul Sound

Intensions - I Love You

Dee Dee Barnes - Do What You Wanna Do

Freddie Chavez - Baby I'm Sorry

Guitar Slim - That's What It's All About

Adams Apples - Don't Take It Out On This World

Frankie Seay - All I Want Is Loving You

Turbines - C/U

Damn Sam The Miracle Man - ditto

Benny Harper - My Prayer

The Rising Sun - Good Loving

Voices Inc - C/U

Bobby Garrett - My Little Girl

i played at least this lot, not in that order though...but there are obviusly some missing from the second set...damn that white wine/lager mix :-)

Set 1. 9.50 to 10.30

Hyperions - Why You Wanna etc

Frankie & The Damons - Man From Soul

Mark V Unlimited - Gone

Ascots - A Few Feet From The Gutter

Clarence Townsend - I Found A New Love

Celest Hardie - You're Gone

Vanguards - Good Times Bad Times

Cliff Nobles - Love Is Alright

Soul Inc - My Proposal

Stemmons Express - Love Power

Harvey Averne - Never Learned To Dance

Kindly Shepherds - Lend Me Your Hand

Flash McKinley - I'll Rescue You

Vince Dena - Love Can't Be Modernized

Thelma Lindsey - Why Weren't You There

Bobby Wells - Let's Cop A Groove

Belles - Don't Pretend

Blue Jays - Point of View

Set 2 11.45 to 12.30

Williams & Ledbetter - Show Some Sign

Irma Routen - I Will Sacrifice

Lavells - Share Him

The Jokers - Soul Sound

Intensions - I Love You

Dee Dee Barnes - Do What You Wanna Do

Freddie Chavez - Baby I'm Sorry

Guitar Slim - That's What It's All About

Adams Apples - Don't Take It Out On This World

Frankie Seay - All I Want Is Loving You

Turbines - C/U

Damn Sam The Miracle Man - ditto

Benny Harper - My Prayer

The Rising Sun - Good Loving

Voices Inc - C/U

Bobby Garrett - My Little Girl

Nice spots Dave and the records weren't bad either

Nice spots Dave and the records weren't bad either

TOP SPOT DAVE- REALLY ENJOYED ALL THE MUSIC ON SATURDAY- LOTS OF SOUNDS I DIDN'T KNOW AND I WAS WELL EDUCATED- THANKS FOR ALL YOUR KIND WORDS, I AM HUMBLED! IT WAS GREAT TO SEE SO MANY FRIENDS, THIS IS WHY I TRAVEL MOST WEEKENDS TO DO'S SUCH AS THIS AS THE PEOPLE ARE SECOND TO NONE- WHATEVER LIFE THROWS AT YOU NORTHERN SOUL IS ALWAYS THERE TO CHEER YOU UP! KTF FROM MATT

What a fantastic set of plays from one of the nicest guys I have the priviledge of knowing and who has no time for politics. We could all learn a thing or two from Matt...especially and including me!!! Nice one mate :rolleyes:

Steve, I entirely agree with all the comments on this thread about Matt (Trowbridge). Matt featured on my FIRST Anniversary back in December 1993, and he delivered back then and has continued to do so each time he has DJ'd for the InCrowd Soul Society, Bournemouth. Seventeen years on and we are about to welcome Matt at our latest venue, Paris Suite, Belvedere Hotel, Bournemouth on Saturday 6 June.

Matt, All the best for Bridgewater on 28 February.

Regards Steve Lyons