Clifton Hall

Guest Li'l T

Guest Li'l T

Can anyone give me more info on this allnighter that ran in the early eighties.

It was where, at the tender age of around 15, I got my first taste of true Northern. The fact that I only got to about three events before it suddenly and without explanation closed, is testement to how quickly you become hooked on this brilliant scene.

Any info would be appreciated,such as dates, tunes that were big there,story's,Dj's pics etc...& why did it dissapear so suddenly???

Social source share

• Replies 164
  • Views 25.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

It was where, at the tender age of around 15, I got my first taste of true Northern. The fact that I only got to about three events before it suddenly and without explanation closed, is testement to how quickly you become hooked on this brilliant scene.

Any info would be appreciated,such as dates, tunes that were big there,story's,Dj's pics etc...& why did it dissapear so suddenly???

link

One of my favourite ever venues - started my love affair with what became modern soul. Many a so called Satfford tune was first popularised in Rotherham. Was reminiscing about CH with Mark Etheridge last night - there's a link to a website somewhere about Clifton Hall - I'll see if I can track it down on t'internet and post up the URL.

Social source share

Guest Jamie

Hi Lil' T.

You're in luck.

Steve Mannion used to DJ at Clifton Hall and is a regular on this site.

I'm sure he won't need much prompting to go all misty-eyed and tell you some tales when he spots the thread :no::thumbsup:

I actually traded a record with him on Friday that was a big spin there for Richard Searling.

Here's a soundfile:

Jamie :lol:

Social source share

link

Many thanks for the plug Jamie. When I were a lad, etc etc etc. :thumbsup:

Li'L T, your memory is a little hazy about the closure. It didn't shut down without explanation, the numbers dwindled from 1000+ to a couple of hundred at the most (it was the biggest niter in the country for a couple of years) for two reasons. One, It was the most upfront night in the Country, with around 80% 'newies' (this is pre 60's Stafford). Due to the inevitable politics, people like Richard Searling and Poke left but were not replaced with likeminded Dj's (Soul Sam, Arthur Fenn and Dave Withers should IMO have been added to the lineup.) So, the inevitable happened and from being 80% new sounds, and Two, it went to 80% oldies - and the crowds drifted to other venues, notably Cleethorpes for upfront music.

Dobie Gray was advertised and didn't show and CH, like Wigan, had more than one 'last night'.

Its largely forgotten as a big venue these days, but filled the gap between Wigan and 60's Stafford, and not playing white pop, but many records which are wrongly attributed to Stafford.

The playlist was second to none at the time, with Richard Searling headlining.

BTW, with regard to Dave Withers, when Searling left, he should have been the replacement, but instead a local playing boots was added to the line up. Dave Withers did dj once, but was not given the last spot as stated in one of the NS books. Criminally, he was given the 5.00am spot, after two hours of oldies, played some incredible records and bombed on the dance floor. He should have had a prime spot IMO, and if he had, Clifton Hall may have gone the route that Stafford went a couple of years later.

Look at the Clifton Hall site for the records made big at that venue.

Steve

Edited by BLADEFORLIFE
Social source share

Guest Li'l T

:thumbsup:

This is the url to the Clifton Hall site (found the link on Dave Rimmers excellent Soulful Kinda Music site)

https://uk.geocities.com/cliftonhallallnighter/

link

:wicked: Thanks for that Alison, Ive done no end of searches on the web for Clifton and come up wi nowt!

I take it you was at Ponds Fri night then... I was there but had to leave early due to wife working. I dont get to go much due to working fri nights but as allways it was well worth the holiday day!!

Social source share

Guest Li'l T

Many thanks for the plug Jamie. When I were a lad, etc etc etc.  :thumbsup:

Li'L T, your memory is a little hazy about the closure. It didn't shut down without explanation, the numbers dwindled from 1000+ to a couple of hundred at the most (it was the biggest niter in the country for a couple of years) for two reasons. One, It was the most upfront night in the Country, with around 80% 'newies' (this is pre 60's Stafford). Due to the inevitable politics, people like Richard Searling  and Poke left but were not replaced with likeminded Dj's (Soul Sam, Arthur Fenn and Dave Withers should IMO have been added to the lineup.) So, the inevitable happened and from being 80% new sounds,  and Two, it went to 80% oldies - and the crowds drifted to other venues, notably Cleethorpes for upfront music.

Dobie Gray was advertised and didn't show and CH, like Wigan, had more than one 'last night'.

Its largely forgotten as a big venue these days, but filled the gap between Wigan and 60's Stafford, and not playing white pop, but many records which are wrongly attributed to Stafford.

BTW, with regard to Dave Withers, when Searling left, he should have been the replacement, but instead a local playing boots was added to the line up. Dave Withers did dj once, but was not given the last spot as stated in one of the NS books. Criminally, he was given the 5.00am spot, after two hours of oldies, played some incredible records and bombed on the dance floor. He should have had a prime spot IMO, and if he had, Clifton Hall may have gone the route that Stafford went a couple of years later.

Steve

link

:P You're right, my mind is a little hazy, allways remember suppin up at last orders in The Travellers (one of the few pubs I could get served in at the time) then making the long walk (new nighter bag in hand) accross town to be greeted at the door by a handfull of very annoyed looking people, only to be told it was cancelled..( thought it was strange when the usual thumpin beat couldn't be heard when passing Coopers toys!! :wicked: ). When I nievely asked when it would be back on I was told "probably never"...& as far as i'm aware, it never was! :D

Social source share

Guest Li'l T

Hi Lil' T.

You're in luck.

Steve Mannion used to DJ at Clifton Hall and is a regular on this site.

I'm sure he won't need much prompting to go all misty-eyed and tell you some tales when he spots the thread  :D   :thumbsup:

I actually traded a record with him on Friday that was a big spin there for Richard Searling.

Here's a soundfile:

Jamie  :wicked:

link

:P Cheers Jamie, will look forward to that.

Social source share

A great venue, great sounds and crowd and sadly passed over wen people are talking about venues of the past. Had many a happy night there and, as Alison siad, began my first foray into Modern soul there. I seem to recall it was a great place if you wanted to get the big toons on heavy weight vinyl - ie, metal backed acetates :-)))) Off to check out the link now

Social source share

:D You're right, my mind is a little hazy, allways remember suppin up at last orders in The Travellers (one of the few pubs I could get served in at the time) then making the long walk (new nighter bag in hand) accross town to be greeted at the door by a handfull of very annoyed looking people, only to be told it was cancelled..( thought it was strange when the usual thumpin beat couldn't be heard when passing Coopers toys!! :thumbsup: ). When I nievely asked when it would be back on I was told "probably never"...& as far as i'm aware, it never was!  :P

link

I think that would have been the third 'last night' that was advertised at the second 'last night' over the mike. :wicked:

After Dobie Gray failed to show, the running joke was that the next night had Darrell Banks booked :D

Also, Pat Brady broke many records at CH, Junior McCants etc, and many 60's records covered at Stafford were played at CH uncovered well before.

Social source share

:P You're right, my mind is a little hazy, allways remember suppin up at last orders in The Travellers (one of the few pubs I could get served in at the time) then making the long walk (new nighter bag in hand) accross town to be greeted at the door by a handfull of very annoyed looking people, only to be told it was cancelled..( thought it was strange when the usual thumpin beat couldn't be heard when passing Coopers toys!! :thumbsup: ). When I nievely asked when it would be back on I was told "probably never"...& as far as i'm aware, it never was!  :wicked:

link

There was a one off soul night, ie 8pm - 1am, which was packed, this would be late 1985ish ?, shortly before demolition. I attended it and due to a large intake of Guiness, can't remember who DJ'd. Think Awake502 on here, Darren, will be able to give more detail as he probably was on that night.

BTW, Sean Hampsey is still looking for a venue for a one off reunion, with all the old dj's and sounds.

Edited by BLADEFORLIFE
Social source share

Guest Jamie

:thumbsup:

:wicked: Thanks for that Alison, Ive done no end of searches on the web for Clifton and come up wi nowt!

I take it you was at Ponds Fri night then... I was there but had to leave early due to wife working. I dont get to go much due to working fri nights but as allways it was well worth the holiday day!!

link

I know Ali wasn't, but I was. I played the 10:30-11:15 set.

(That's probably why you left :P:D:D )

Jamie :D

Social source share

Rotherham had a few good places about the same time such as the slighty earlier Assembly rooms and the slightly later Football club.

Clifton Hall also had many soul nights as well as the niters.

Derek Sheldon, dj, springs to mind as the promoter.

Ed

link

Derek, who worked at the first few all nighters ran most of the Rotherham events prior to that, inc, I believe the Assembly rooms, and Tivoli at RUFC. (With Steve Croft ?)

Do you remember the Masborough School of Dancing all nighters. Short lived but mainly new records. Arthur Fenn and Kev Draper certainly worked there.

CH niters were originally a joint promotion by Alan Senior and Steve Croft, Alan later running it on his own, while Steve did Cleethorpes, Bradford and others.

Alan also ran Sunday nights at RUFC. Derek 'disappeared'after he left CH, which was shame because he was a nice guy.

Rotherham Tiffanys also held bank holiday all nighters at the same time.

Social source share

Clifton Hall was my first serious venture into Soul music, i used to listen to Richard Searling on a local radio show when (unbelievably) he played just 5 Northern records from 6.30 while 6.45 on a Saturday, and enjoyed cutting my teeth on the scene at that forward thinking venue.

What a tremendous sized ballroom on two floors, i was always in awe of the dancers, and remember flying onto a dark corner to Rich Searling playing the "Q"..........great memory, also still have the Christmas 1982 nighter flyer with Steve Mannion on the line up (nowadays he takes me on bizarre and savage ventures to dodgy kebab houses...at ungodly times). Always recall things like Tony Fox/Curtis and the first time i heard Al Kent on Ric-Tic, Paris and Clark on Elektra (has this ever been played since ?)and lastly an acetate Richard played that he has since told me is a unknown Philly recording still covered as Leo Wright and the El-Rays.........incredible 60's mover.

You never forget your roots.

Brett

Edited by Brett
Social source share

Clifton Hall was my first serious venture into Soul music, 

Brett

link

Clifton hall whats that!

Social source share

Read the above posts Ken.............. ranting_1.gif

link

f*** off Brett!,with respect i was only teasing,i used to live there!only missed one then i turned up but then had to get pumped out!!!whoops to much info!

Edited by kenneth aitchison
Social source share

Guest ZTSC

I think that would have been the third 'last night' that was advertised at the second 'last night' over the mike.  ranting_1.gif

After Dobie Gray failed to show, the running joke was that the next night had Darrell Banks booked :lol:

Also, Pat Brady broke many records at CH, Junior McCants etc, and many 60's records covered at Stafford were played at CH uncovered well before.

link

Remember Tee Fletcher - twaz a massive Pat sound at Rotherham.

Social source share

link

Totally agree about PB and the influence CH had, used to often travel down myself to that and for a year or so went every fortnight,

Not so sure about the many sounds being played uncovered but you are spot on about records being associated with Stafford when they were CH. Re the Dave Withers story, did Dave not dj right at the very first nighters there also (is it right in saying it actually started before Wigan finished?).

Amazingly influential period, used to worship at the alter of Gary Rushbrooke but hung around with Carlisle/Morecombe/Lancaster crowd and really opened my eyes to all eras of soul.

Never sure about the Preston St, dancers though, think I have always been too miserable for such fun. :yes:

Very special time and one that sorted out the wheat from the chaff after Wigan in many ways!!

Happy memories,

Cheers

Jock

Edited by jocko
Social source share

Dickie Searling at is best,Clifton hall proberly the only one room nighter that brought all factions of the rare soul scene together ie;Newies(Modern)/6tsNewies(up-front)/Oldies not too many though! with any great affect,and the dancers awesome,when searling left it lost its heart and faded into Northernsoul history,magic when he was round and on top!,my top tune from then is Larry Houston,lets spend some time together,i think coverd up as Top Cat i think,pity we dont take larry`s advice,oh the nearest place that even comes close is the 100club.

:yes:

Social source share

Totally agree about PB and the influence CH had, used to often travel down myself to that and for a year or so went every fortnight, 

Not so sure about the many sounds being played uncovered but you are spot on about records being associated with Stafford when they were CH. Re the Dave Withers story, did Dave not dj right at the very first nighters there also (is it right in saying it actually started before Wigan finished?).

Amazingly influential period, used to worship at the alter of Gary Rushbrooke but hung around with Carlisle/Morecombe/Lancaster crowd and really opened my eyes to all eras of soul.

Never sure about the Preston St, dancers though, think I have always been too miserable for such fun.  :yes:

Very special time and one that sorted out the wheat from the chaff after Wigan in many ways!!

Happy memories,

Cheers

Jock

link

Yes, started before Wigan closed.

Dave Withers only DJ'd the once, near the end, and got a graveyard spot. Madness IMO. Gary Rushbrooke left after the first year I think.

Bobby Hutton, Mr Caldwell, Sam Fletcher Elbie Parker all played at Clifton Hall.

Steve

Social source share

Guest Li'l T

:yes:

Clifton Hall was my first serious venture into Soul music, i used to listen to Richard Searling on a local radio show when (unbelievably) he played just 5 Northern records from 6.30 while 6.45 on a Saturday, and enjoyed cutting my teeth on the scene at that forward thinking venue.

What a tremendous sized ballroom on two floors, i was always in awe of the dancers, and remember flying onto a dark corner to Rich Searling playing the "Q"..........great memory, also still have the Christmas 1982 nighter flyer with Steve Mannion on the line up (nowadays he takes me on bizarre and savage  ventures to dodgy kebab houses...at ungodly times). Always recall things like Tony Fox/Curtis and the first time i heard Al Kent on Ric-Tic, Paris and Clark on Elektra (has this ever been played since ?)and lastly an acetate Richard played that he has since told me is a unknown Philly recording still covered as Leo Wright and the El-Rays.........incredible 60's mover.

Brett

link

wink.gif Ah yes...Richard searlings Soul Source, remember taping that a few times, just for that middle (5 record) Northern slot!~ Radio Halam I think it was?

Social source share

Guest Li'l T

Rotherham had a few good places about the same time such as the slighty earlier Assembly rooms and the slightly later Football club.

Clifton Hall also had many soul nights as well as the niters.

Derek Sheldon, dj, springs to mind as the promoter.

Ed

link

:yes: Did get to assembly rooms...wasn't it a mid week night, mainly Mod revival? Also remember "baby Tiffs" ( I was only 14/15) Monday/thurs nights. At one point they even had second room just for the "Soulies". Some amazing dancers there too...It's what got me off the Mod thing & in search of true Northern.

Social source share

Masboro school of Dancing? If I remember right, the one and only time I went to a niter there, the place got shut down by plod about 1 in the morning.

Same happened at 'Baileys' in Doncaster, another special niter turfed out onto the streets by plod.

Funny though, about 200 kids looking for somewhere to kip, most ended up at the empty train station on a platform ticket.

ASSEMBLY ROOMS biggies. Music JW, She'll come running back MB, Let our love grow higher EC, What JS. Best dancers for spinning Ive ever seen.

Ed

Social source share

One of my favourite ever venues - started my love affair with what became modern soul. Many a so called Satfford tune was first popularised in Rotherham. Was reminiscing about CH with Mark Etheridge last night - there's a link to a website somewhere about Clifton Hall - I'll see if I can track it down on t'internet and post up the URL.

link

We certainly were reminiscing my sweet.... one of the "MOST" overlooked venues IMO for it's music policy.... a ONE ROOMED event thet played "whatever it wanted".... was probably "too upfront" for its time in most people's minds :Drolleyes.gif .... had an "oldies" and "newies" theme which is what I remember the "genres" of music being referred to back then.... none of the "multi genre" descriptions of today's scene.... by that, I mean "newies" was both 60's discoveries and current (of the decade) discoveries.... and "oldies" were, well, those already "known"....

Today we get, well, "modern" for the new/90's stuff along with "tent", "70's" (be it old or new) then there's classics, oldies, same old same old, youth club, underplayed, R&B, the list is endless.... my query would be what of the 80's stuff played at Clifton Hall.... known as "newies" back then.... but now often heard reffered to as "modern oldies" (what's that all about :lol: ) that seems to have "no place" on today's scene as it's what I call an "inbetweenie" sound.... one that's "still too new" for an Oldies room, but yet "too old" for a Modern room.... granted, albeit one or two of them these days....

I know that the philosophy of Clifton Hall has stuck with me, and my mates, since it's opening night and that's what we operate at our Ponds Forge nights.... a ONE ROOM ONE MUSIC policy.... what I call "accross the board" on our flyers... but what I know other people hap-haxardly "slag off" or state it's "an excuse to play any old crap" type of term used these days.... absolute BOLLOX IMHO....

Seems I'm getting into a rant as I read back through this so I'll just repeat my initial opinion on Clifton Hall.... very underestimated, very ignored and always overlooked as as a "forefather" of places like Stafford, etc., which these days takes the "glory" for records that where "established" at Clifton Hall throughout its duration....

Social source share

Many thanks for the plug Jamie. When I were a lad, etc etc etc.  rolleyes.gif

Li'L T, your memory is a little hazy about the closure. It didn't shut down without explanation, the numbers dwindled from 1000+ to a couple of hundred at the most (it was the biggest niter in the country for a couple of years) for two reasons. One, It was the most upfront night in the Country, with around 80% 'newies' (this is pre 60's Stafford). Due to the inevitable politics, people like Richard Searling  and Poke left but were not replaced with likeminded Dj's (Soul Sam, Arthur Fenn and Dave Withers should IMO have been added to the lineup.) So, the inevitable happened and from being 80% new sounds,  and Two, it went to 80% oldies - and the crowds drifted to other venues, notably Cleethorpes for upfront music.

Steve

link

Just read this after my reply to Ali's post.... but agree :D ....

Social source share

What a tremendous sized ballroom on two floors, i was always in awe of the dancers, and remember flying onto a dark corner to Rich Searling playing the "Q"..........great memory.

Brett

link

Never remember Clifton Hall being on two floors Brett :lol: .... your illicit intake was well established at that time then :D ....

Through the main doors, pay on your right, bar area then to your left, round a right turn on that corridor where the "bogs were on on your right and there were two perhaps three double doors through to the one massive ballroom on your left.... unless you mean the secoind floor being the balcony.... thinking about the layout I could perhaps, even now, draw you a floor plan so "vivid" are my memories....

But YES.... what an absolutely fabulous venue back then :Drolleyes.gif ....

Social source share

rolleyes.gif

:lol: Ah yes...Richard searlings Soul Source, remember taping that a few times, just for that middle (5 record) Northern slot!~ Radio Halam I think it was?

link

It was.... 6.45pm till just before 7.00pm with "his" record of the week just after that (a new 80's track) before the News at 7.00pm....

Load of tapes of this left at my Ma and Pa's but now "disappeared" :D ....

Social source share

Never remember Clifton Hall being on two floors Brett :lol: .... your illicit intake was well established at that time then :D ....

Through the main doors, pay on your right, bar area then to your left, round a right turn on that corridor where the "bogs were on on your right and there were two perhaps three double doors through to the one massive ballroom on your left.... unless you mean the secoind floor being the balcony.... thinking about the layout I could perhaps, even now, draw you a floor plan so "vivid" are my memories....

But YES.... what an absolutely fabulous venue back then :D   rolleyes.gif ....

link

Mark it's a long time back but i'm certain the balcony area had a tiny floor with some seating,....i say this because i can recall a fella with no shirt on covered in "Skin Illustrations" and dancing all on his own........

perhaps my mind has gone.... :D

Social source share

Mark it's a long time back but i'm certain the balcony area had a tiny floor with some seating,....i say this because i can recall a fella with no shirt on covered in "Skin Illustrations" and dancing all on his own........

perhaps my mind has gone.... rolleyes.gif

link

Pretty sure you are right as Tim A used to sit up in balcony area and sell records, cant remember a dance floor but remember an area through an arch?? Was a long time ago!!

Social source share

It was.... 6.45pm till just before 7.00pm with "his" record of the week just after that (a new 80's track) before the News at 7.00pm....

Load of tapes of this left at my Ma and Pa's but now "disappeared" rolleyes.gif ....

link

I have four of them on tape, I'll put them in the sounds gallery.

Social source share

My endearing memory CH (apart from being stopped, having the car searched by the DS) was sitting in the bar having a nice cup of tea when a bloke opposite started to pull something out of his pocket which I thought was a hanky. Out popped this white plastic bag which split cascading about 300 little white ephedrine tablets all over the place. Offer to help pick them up, grab a handful? No I sat there like a tit and finished my tea as nowt had happened!

Social source share

Pretty sure you are right as Tim A used to sit up in balcony area and sell records, cant remember a dance floor but remember an area through an arch?? Was a long time ago!!

link

You and Brett are right. The arched area at the back had a wooden floor.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

link

Hi mate, as for sounds, dj's, etc i could'nt really tell you much.

What i can tell you is that ,like the casino, Clifton hall was in danger of becoming the next big venue of the north. Rotherham council got paranoid about the possibility of such a thing happenning so they kaiboshed it, and of course used the excuse that the building was unsafe, the same crap we got from Wigan council.

They obviously didn't realise that they were murdering a way of life, and, instead of preserving these buildings and creating an outlet for dedicated soul fans, they did what they always do crush it!!! using the excuse that drugs and noise pollution

were to blame.If they want to see crime and depravity they should visit any night club anywhere,but of course soul folk dont drink 100 barrels of beer do they?

I live 60 yards from the old Clifton hall site, its a carpark! nuff said.

Keep soul in your soul young fella, were in the process of creating the new rotherham soul club. We have a small venue at the no10 pub on Westgate, the first night last Saturday was a mild success, next date is fri 24 June, see you there . regards Pav :unsure:

Social source share

Hi mate, as for sounds, dj's, etc i could'nt really tell you much.

What i can tell you is that ,like the casino, Clifton hall was in danger of becoming the next big venue of the north. Rotherham council got paranoid about the possibility of such a thing happenning so they kaiboshed it, and of course used the excuse that the building was unsafe, the same crap we got from Wigan council.

They obviously didn't realise that they were murdering a way of life, and, instead of preserving these buildings and creating an outlet for dedicated soul fans, they did what they always do crush it!!! using the excuse that drugs and noise pollution

were to blame.If they want to see crime and depravity they should visit any night club anywhere,but of course soul folk dont drink 100 barrels of beer do they?

I live 60 yards from the old Clifton hall site, its a carpark! nuff said.

Keep soul in your soul young fella, were in the process of creating the new rotherham soul club. We have a small venue at the no10 pub on Westgate, the first night last Saturday was a mild success, next date is fri 24 June, see you there . regards Pav :unsure:

link

Hope you post details on soul/source somewhere Pav!,will be there at somepoint see some of me old mates,hope it go`s splendid :shades:

Social source share

I have fond memories of this place too and concur with everything posted in CH's favour.

Who can forget a young Neil Page with his record box (50) with flashing disco lights fixed on it - which also made it's debut at CH.

It was a very good venue in short, and a very good balance of sounds.

Went on my own sometimes, but also remember going once with Dave G and Randy Cozens, in the back of Randy's "Wedge Roofing" escort van. It took ages from Soulgate (there was no M25 back then!)....and that was just to get onto the M1 at St Albans.... What fun it was bouncing around in the back of that van at 70 mph up the M1 :unsure:

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mickmac

Only ever went there a couple of times, once for a nighter the other time for an all ticket affair, The Harlem Shuffle, it was called, I think. Even remember seeing Dave Godin there that night, after which I got bundled into a car and went off up to Bradford for the nighter there, Guy Hennigan and Soul Sam were dj's there if I remember correctly.

Social source share

Only ever went there a couple of times, once for a nighter the other time for an all ticket affair, The Harlem Shuffle, it was called, I think.

They had a couple of Harlem Shuffle do's there, they were great nights & packed to the rafters. They were all ticket affairs & sell outs, me & my mate actually printed the tickets and added a tiny bit to them, the words "no riff raff," knowing full well that virtually all present would be indeed be "riff raff." Don't think the promoter saw the funny side.

Social source share

Did we get a patch on the opening night, same as the 1st Annie one but without the '1st Anniversary' stitching? 2nd Annie' one was red and yellow or has my memory gone, still have 'em at home.

Loved Rotherham, what was the cafe called down the road with the Northern on the Jukey?

Also remember it for losing lots of money playing cards wi' Brian Rae and Martin (Congleton) et al in the back bar.

The building has gone now I believe.

Edited by Hottwaxx
Social source share

Guest DeeJay

yep!! really enjoyed CH as far as i can remember for me it replaced Wigan Dont remember 2 floors as someone mentioned earlier upstairs was records remember haggling with Dave Raistick over various choons Records i recall from then that might have slipped in late Wigan were C/U Jimmy Georgetown "The Stars Above" Shadows

Impressions lp track Fan the Fire? C/U Lamar Thomas "All Of My Life" Nurons All Searling sounds but Pat was pretty good (I have to say that he used to give me a lift down-bless him) :D

DJ

Social source share

Did we get a patch on the opening night, same as the 1st Annie one but without the '1st Anniversary' stitching? 2nd Annie' one was red and yellow or has my memory gone, still have 'em at home.

Loved Rotherham, what was the cafe called down the road with the Northern on the Jukey?

Also remember it for losing lots of money playing cards wi' Brian Rae and Martin (Congleton) et al in the back bar.

The building has gone now I believe.

link

"STRADS" :D

Social source share

:thumbsup:   Did get to assembly rooms...wasn't it a mid week night, mainly Mod revival? Also remember "baby Tiffs" ( I was only 14/15) Monday/thurs nights. At one point they even had second room just for the "Soulies". Some amazing dancers there too...It's what got me off the Mod thing & in search of true Northern.

link

Used to love tiffs on mons and thursday,get loads dancing practise not that i needed it then!,great recruting ground for new N/soulies,some still around... :D

Social source share

link

Many great memories from this niter a real gem of a venue,but my most vivid recolection was being met off the train by the locals and having the shit kicked out of us on some big traffic roundabout near clifton hall,had a good night though!!

Social source share

Only ever went there a couple of times, once for a nighter the other time for an all ticket affair, The Harlem Shuffle, it was called, I think. Even remember seeing Dave Godin there that night, after which I got bundled into a car and went off up to Bradford for the nighter there, Guy Hennigan and Soul Sam were dj's there if I remember correctly.

link

I went to that and won a compatition ran by Dave Evison,the first person to shout the correct answer from a crowd of what must have been 300+ "name the vocal versions singer of the san remo strings festival time" Laura lee to win your heart,i won a big fuckoff kent records shop promo window fingy magigy kind of thing and then went to the very same Bradford alnighter,oh my god what a flash back,what a rush,thankyou!!!

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest martinsbox

THE NEW MECCA - ROTHERHAM CLIFTON HALL. c/o Okeh Northern Soul.

The new Mecca opened it's doors to the Soul fraternity on Friday night October 31st 1980, courtesy of local entrepreneurs, Steve Croft and Alan Senior. Both of these are well known on the scene, Steve as a Jazz/Funk and Northern DJ and Alan responsible for the Soul lists of the top sounds in the country. In the beginning Alan and Steve both believed in the policy of 'give the fans what they want' the same still exists.

The first five or so Nighters being run fortnightly on Friday nights / Saturday mornings 9p.m. - 8a.m. when in need of public created atmosphere to set the venue alight. Now the all nighter is established as the best in South Yorkshire and at the current rate of popularity it looks set to overtake the never ending Casino.

Attendances of five to eight hundred are evident if you take a trip to Rotherham. Anyone who has not should do so as you are guaranteed a night of top sounds. Moving to the sounds new records prevail which is pleasing to see as the South Yorkshire crowd are usually very slow to accept such. The new sounds are accepted with enthusiasm. The latest slogan in the Soul time promotion advertising leaflets is that at Rotherham the sounds of tomorrow are played today.

I for one hope the Rotherham Nighters continue to be a major success in the decline of our Soul scene, and I see no reason why this should not be so when coaches continue to travel from the far land of Scotland to the event.

A typical run down of events at the all nighter is as follows : -

9-10 Chris Brady. - A local young DJ who turns in the first hour, he plays a mixture of oldies from Edward Hamilton to George Benson.

10-12 Steve Mannion. - Another local DJ, Steve plats 99% oldies requests from the crowd. For example:- "Breakaway" Toni Basil, with the occasional newer sounds such as "Keys to the city" Omni.

12-2 Richard Searling. - The DJ, record buyer, and Radio Hallam Sheffield DJ turns in a spot of his current top sounds in the country spanning two decades such as "Learning how to dance" Roddie Joy and "Where I'm not wanted" Eddie Holman. From the 70's Zeezee and co. "Get ready for the get down" which is still for some reason covered as Oscar Perry and moving to the 80's Billy Nicholls "Diamond ring".

2-4 Pat Brady. - The Leeds man continues finding a few obscure 60's records. Sounds to be heard are "I can't find love" Eula Cooper, which is supposedly a Golden World acetate. This is a typical sounding Detroit sound and one of the few good 60's sounds of the year. Moving into the 80's he plays the Dells "Your song" which is now a rather established sound.

4-5 Gary Rushbrook. - Gary plays 80% newies 20% oldies, and has a talent of finding 60's style newies. Just a listen to "Standing at a standstill" Bobby Treetop c/u, "Another day" The Ascots and "Guess who loves you" Frank Wilson c/u and sounds that have been around for a couple of years, for example:- "Lady in green" Magnetics, "Somethings bad" The Nomads.

5-6 Poke. - It is nice to see the introduction of ex-Cleethorpes DJ who has been accepted by the fans by playing 70's sounds such as "Just be yourself" The Pretenders, this was c/u as The Quadraphonics and "Love music" James Bynum. Oldies include The Rimshots "Do what you feel", I hope that he stays on the road for more success and expands from being a regular at Rotherham.

6-8 Brian Rae. - If he does not do the last two hours he can always be relied upon to finish the venue off, say for the last hour with any current requests from the public. There are too many to mention lets just say "Tough girl" Billy Arnell and "When I'm gone" Brenda Holloway.

That gives a summary of the fortnightly Friday All nighters. Check it out.....................

Martin

p.s. perhaps a little late :rolleyes: for a stroll up the long hill to the niter!!!

Social source share

• 2 months later...

Got the flyer for the first nighter at Clifton Hall somewhere , It was October 31st 1980 , looks like it was printed on a typewriter or something . Also got a flyer for 2nd anniversary , I'll find them out and scan them both in.

Russ :rolleyes:

Social source share

Got the flyer for the first nighter at Clifton Hall somewhere , It was October 31st 1980 , looks like it was printed on a typewriter or something . Also got a flyer for 2nd anniversary , I'll find them out and scan them both in.

Russ :rolleyes:

Steve used do the flyers on a thing that i can only descibe as a mangle,big handle on the side... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Steve used do the flyers on a thing that i can only descibe as a mangle,big handle on the side... :yes:

Sorry used to get us to do em`,upstairs in the old cafe,sometimes used to give a chip & egg tea cake after :thumbsup: ,not often though :rolleyes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!