• Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Great news Darryl......all together now:

"I can see him making love to you baby

And the thought of his body next to yours drives me crazy"

Ray and Billy Terrell TOP writers

Ray had some problems with the registration for the site. I think we've got it all straightened out. So hopefully he should be on soon. I will tell you that he types in all caps.

Social source share

Great news Darryl......all together now:

"I can see him making love to you baby

And the thought of his body next to yours drives me crazy"

Ray and Billy Terrell TOP writers

THANKS FOR THE KIND WORDS. LOOKING FORWARD TO STAYING IN TOUCH.

REGARDS,

RAY DAHROUGE

Edited by RayD
Social source share

looking forward to it Darryl....... smile.gif

HELLO EVERYONE. RAY HERE. DARRYL TOLD ME THAT BILLY AND I HAD SOMEWHAT OF A REPUTATION HERE. I THOUGHT I'D STOP BY JUST TO SAY HELLO AND ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE ABOUT US, OUR CAREERS, WHAT WE'VE BEEN DOING FOR THE LAST 60 YEARS, AND OUR LOVE OF THE MUSIC. THANKS FOR CARING ABOUT US. WE ARE HUMBLED.

RAY

Social source share

HELLO EVERYONE. RAY HERE. DARRYL TOLD ME THAT BILLY AND I HAD SOMEWHAT OF A REPUTATION HERE. I THOUGHT I'D STOP BY JUST TO SAY HELLO AND ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE ABOUT US, OUR CAREERS, WHAT WE'VE BEEN DOING FOR THE LAST 60 YEARS, AND OUR LOVE OF THE MUSIC. THANKS FOR CARING ABOUT US. WE ARE HUMBLED.

RAY

Hello Ray , welcome to Soul Source , I've got a record on Metromedia by yourself and Billy Terrell " Baby now there's two of you " , do you remember it ? Best wishes ,Eddie

Social source share

Hello Ray , welcome to Soul Source , I've got a record on Metromedia by yourself and Billy Terrell " Baby now there's two of you " , do you remember it ? Best wishes ,Eddie

SURE I REMEMBER. CAN'T BELIEVE HOW MANY PEOPLE REACHED OUT TO ME ON MY SPACE & REMEMBERED THAT SONG & MANY OTHERS. AN ARTIST NEVER STOPS APPRECIATING PEOPLE ENJOYING THEIR WORK. IF YOU WANT TO GET UP TO DATE , MY MY SPACE

ADDRESS IS WWW.MYSPACE.COM/RAYDAHROUGEMUSIC THANKS FOR YOUR WELCOME. DUE TO BEING BLESSED , I'M STILL GETTING COVERS ON MOSTLY MY NEWER SONGS. GETTING CUTS IN U S NOW IN CA & NC. ALSO IN THE ARRANGEMENT STAGE IS A SONG THAT WILL BE CUT IN ENGLAND AT THE END OF MARCH. PEACE & MUCH RESPECT, RAY

Social source share

SURE I REMEMBER. CAN'T BELIEVE HOW MANY PEOPLE REACHED OUT TO ME ON MY SPACE & REMEMBERED THAT SONG & MANY OTHERS. AN ARTIST NEVER STOPS APPRECIATING PEOPLE ENJOYING THEIR WORK. IF YOU WANT TO GET UP TO DATE , MY MY SPACE

ADDRESS IS WWW.MYSPACE.COM/RAYDAHROUGEMUSIC THANKS FOR YOUR WELCOME. DUE TO BEING BLESSED , I'M STILL GETTING COVERS ON MOSTLY MY NEWER SONGS. GETTING CUTS IN U S NOW IN CA & NC. ALSO IN THE ARRANGEMENT STAGE IS A SONG THAT WILL BE CUT IN ENGLAND AT THE END OF MARCH. PEACE & MUCH RESPECT, RAY

Welcome Ray and question: How did the deal with Polydor come about? Did the album get much airplay at the time?

Steve G

Social source share

Welcome Ray and question: How did the deal with Polydor come about? Did the album get much airplay at the time?

Steve G

THEY WENT WILD OVER MY VERSION OF "I CAN SEE HIM MAKING LOVE TO YOU, BABY". I BOUGHT MY HOME, I'M STILL LIVING IN, WITH THE ADVANCE $ THEY GAVE US FOR THE ALBUM. A SONG, "ANY KIND OF LOVE AT ALL" ON THE ALBUM WAS COVERED BY ENGELBERT .

ONCE ON A STUDIO CD ("LOVE'S ONLY LOVE" CD TITLE) & ONCE FOR A LIVE ALBUM TITLED "ENGELBERT LIVE / ALL OF ME". IT WAS

ALSO A SINGLE ON EPIC. THAN DAVID HASSELHOFF ALSO RECORDED THE SAME SONG ON HIS KNIGHT RIDER CD.

I WROTE ALL THE SONGS ON THE CD & CO-PRODUCED IT WITH MY LONG TIME FRIEND & CREATIVE PARTNER , THE TALENTED BILLY TERRELL. WE WROTE & PROD. A LOT OF MUSIC STILL HOLDING UP TODAY.

I STILL GET WRITING ROYALTIES FOR "ANY KIND OF LOVE AT ALL" AFTER ALL THIS TIME.

TAKE CARE STEVE, PEACE, RAY

Social source share

Steve G

STEVE,

ABOUT THE AIR PLAY, I GOT BURIED AS POLYDOR WAS TOO HOT WITH "I WILL SURVIVE", "SHAKE YOUR GROOVE THING" AND ONE OTHER TOP 40 POP SMASH. STILL CAN'T COMPLAIN. "I CAN SEE HIM MAKIN' LOVE TO YOU ,BABY" WAS RECORDED BY SEVERAL PEOPLE.

#1 THE ANDERSON BROTHERS #2 MAYBERRY MOVEMENT ARR. & PROD. BY PATRICK ADAMS (PUSH,PUSH IN THE BUSH FAME)

# 3 MYSELF #4 TRIESTE (GROUP FROM NJ) # 5 A FEMALE FROM ENGLAND (DON'T RECALL HER NAME OR LABEL) IF YOU COULD FIND OUT THAT INFO, I'D LOVE YOU FOR IT.

VERY BEST, PEACE,

RAY

Social source share

# 5 A FEMALE FROM ENGLAND (DON'T RECALL HER NAME OR LABEL) IF YOU COULD FIND OUT THAT INFO, I'D LOVE YOU FOR IT.

That was me, cutting it on Pat Lewis, back in 1998, and eventually, six years later, released on the CD "Northern Soul 2004".

Except Pat isn't from England. She's from Detroit, and was one of the Andantes, the original Motown backing girls. She sang on stuff like "Uptight", before leaving Motown and joining Golden World for a solo career.

She then, along with her sister Diane, became Hot Buttered Soul, for Isaac Hayes.

But yes, we did record it in England, while she was staying with me.

Social source share

That was me, cutting it on Pat Lewis, back in 1998, and eventually, six years later, released on the CD "Northern Soul 2004".

Except Pat isn't from England. She's from Detroit, and was one of the Andantes, the original Motown backing girls. She sang on stuff like "Uptight", before leaving Motown and joining Golden World for a solo career.

She then, along with her sister Diane, became Hot Buttered Soul, for Isaac Hayes.

But yes, we did record it in England, while she was staying with me.

IS THERE A WAY TO GET CD "NORTHERN SOUL 2004"? ALSO , THE FEMALE I MEANT CUT IT IN 1979 (ABOUT 20 YR. EARLIER.

CAN YOU HELP / THAT? I'D LOVE TO HEAR BOTH VERSIONS. IT'S A VERY SMALL WORLD.LIKE TO HEAR WHAT YOU DID WITH IT.

VERY BEST TO YOU, RAY

Social source share

Hi Ray,

Ady here. In my last research for the version by the Mayberry Movement that we put on Modern Masterpieces vol 2, I discovered that Russell Mabery from the group was very involved with the 125th Street candy Store on Uptite and Fania, did you know them at all then or have you heard from them since you recorded with them?

Social source share

STEVE,

ABOUT THE AIR PLAY, I GOT BURIED AS POLYDOR WAS TOO HOT WITH "I WILL SURVIVE", "SHAKE YOUR GROOVE THING" AND ONE OTHER TOP 40 POP SMASH. STILL CAN'T COMPLAIN. "I CAN SEE HIM MAKIN' LOVE TO YOU ,BABY" WAS RECORDED BY SEVERAL PEOPLE.

#1 THE ANDERSON BROTHERS #2 MAYBERRY MOVEMENT ARR. & PROD. BY PATRICK ADAMS (PUSH,PUSH IN THE BUSH FAME)

# 3 MYSELF #4 TRIESTE (GROUP FROM NJ) # 5 A FEMALE FROM ENGLAND (DON'T RECALL HER NAME OR LABEL) IF YOU COULD FIND OUT THAT INFO, I'D LOVE YOU FOR IT.

VERY BEST, PEACE,

RAY

Hi Ray, not sure about that 70s British version - it might have been made for the northern scene but I cannot place it right now. WIll have a scout round because there were some covers done in the late 70s.

What can you tell us about Vivian Copeland - Key in the mailbox etc etc and, secondly Mickey Mouse Concerto in B flat` - how did that one come about?

Wasn't Pete Warner "I just want to spend my life with you" one of your songs too (I haven't checked my copy) just seem to remember it.

Steve

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Actually, "I Can See (Her) Loving You" by Trieste (IX CHAINS 7021) is quite a nice version.

This was among several cover versions of "Northern Soul in-demanders" released on IX CHAINS C.1976 (among them, Raymond Smith - "Seven Day Lover" and Bobby Earl Williams - "That's The Way He Is")

Great to see you here RayD!. I'm looking forward to inside info on your involvement with the Grapevine/GRP record label? I'm also a big fan of the Mayberry Movement "I Think I'm In Love" on EVENT, and would love to hear more about the group.

Regards, 'Mel'

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Hi Ray,

Ady here. In my last research for the version by the Mayberry Movement that we put on Modern Masterpieces vol 2, I discovered that Russell Mabery from the group was very involved with the 125th Street candy Store on Uptite and Fania, did you know them at all then or have you heard from them since you recorded with them?

HI ADY,

CUTE LITTLE CHILD YOU HAVE THERE. THEY'RE THE BEST. NEVER MET ANYONE IN GROUP . I THINK I MET OR SPOKE WITH PATRICK ONCE OR TWICE. BOTH VERY BUSY BACK THEN. KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE FEMALE VERSIONS OF "I CAN SEE HIM MAKING LOVE TO YOU BABY"? ONE, 2004 & THE OTHER CUT ,DON'T KNOW IF IT WAS EVER RELEASED, 1979.

BE WELL ,STAY IN TOUCH & THANKS AGAIN MY FRIEND,

RAY

Social source share

Hi Ray, not sure about that 70s British version - it might have been made for the northern scene but I cannot place it right now. WIll have a scout round because there were some covers done in the late 70s.

What can you tell us about Vivian Copeland - Key in the mailbox etc etc and, secondly Mickey Mouse Concerto in B flat` - how did that one come about?

Wasn't Pete Warner "I just want to spend my life with you" one of your songs too (I haven't checked my copy) just seem to remember it.

Steve 'KEY IN THE MAILBOX" WAS BIG ON R&B CHARTS BILLY & I WROTE IT , GEORGE KERR PROD. MICKY MOUSE WAS THE BRAINCHILD OF BOB FELDMAN WHO, AS YOU CAN HEAR ,WASN'T TOO CREATIVE. I HAD A SONG ON ST. PEOPLE CD "WANNA SPEND MY WHOLE LIFE WITH YOU.BABY" I WROTE IT & IT'S ONE OF THE BEST VOCAL PERFORMANCES I EVER PROD. BEST, RAY

Social source share

no problem Ray....did you demo your tunes ..like a guide vocal...guitar /piano etc.....for the other artists.....i'm interested in the process.....?
ALMOST ALL PIANO / VOICE DEMOS. DURING THE 70'S I WROTE FOR CASHMAN & WEST & DID ALL MY P/V DEMOS AT

RCA STUDIOS (PICS OF ME AT MY SITE) WWW.MYSPACE.COM/RAYDAHROUGEMUSIC AFTER I DID P/V, I SANG HARMONY WHILE

I BANGED ON CLOSED PIANO TOP TO GET A CONGA EFFECT ON FAST SONGS.

GEORGE KERR, JERRY ROSS & A FEW OTHER PROD. ALWAYS REMINDED ME TO NOT GO TOO HARD ON PIANO AS I WAS KNOWN

TO GET CARRIED AWAY & BREAK SOME PIANO STRINGS. BILLY TERRELL SAID THEY'RE ALL AFRAID AS SOON AS YOU SIT AT THE

PIANO.

GOT QUITE A FEW CUTS WITH HOME P / V DEMOS. GOT A RECORD DEAL LIKE THAT / BELL RECORDS FOR "BUT NOT AFRAID TO DREAM. I WAS THE ARTIST.

PEACE, BE WELL,

RAY

Social source share

thanks for an insight into the creative process Ray... smile.gif ...did you do session work for producers such as George Kerr and Jerry Ross as well as your own productions....?......Vivian Copelands "Key in the mailbox" on D'Oro was produced by George Kerr...a similar version was recorded by Susan Phillips on All Platinum....(theres a clip on the sites Refosoul feature)...the male backing vocals sound like the Moments to me.......what do you think?...Cheers Jim

Social source share

Welvcome Ray - two pieces of work you were invoved with which I have enjoyed over the years.

The Street People album on Vigor - as good an example of a 70s disco soul group you will ever find - brilliant album which I have recommended to many many people & a 12 inch single which you yourself sang - "Stepping Out" on Polydor from 1978 - quality disco tune.

Social source share

thanks for an insight into the creative process Ray... :) ...did you do session work for producers such as George Kerr and Jerry Ross as well as your own productions....?......Vivian Copelands "Key in the mailbox" on D'Oro was produced by George Kerr...a similar version was recorded by Susan Phillips on All Platinum....(theres a clip on the sites Refosoul feature)...the male backing vocals sound like the Moments to me.......what do you think?...Cheers Jim

I ONLY WROTE FOR GEORGE & JERRY ROSS, NOT PROD. JERRY CUT 2 OF MY SONGS, ONE / RONNIE DOVE & ONE / THE HAPPENINGS. NEITHER WAS EVER RELEASED. THINK GEORGE PROD. S. PHILLIPS. NOT SURE WHO DID B.G. VOX. GEORGE WAS A GREAT B.G. SINGER & SANG ON MOST OF HIS PROD. ANOTHER GIRL CUT A GREAT VERSION WAS BARBARA JEAN ENGLISH THAT GEORGE ALSO

PROD. GUESS GEORGE LOVED THAT SONG.

PEACE & BE WELL,

RAY

Social source share

Welvcome Ray - two pieces of work you were invoved with which I have enjoyed over the years.

The Street People album on Vigor - as good an example of a 70s disco soul group you will ever find - brilliant album which I have recommended to many many people & a 12 inch single which you yourself sang - "Stepping Out" on Polydor from 1978 - quality disco tune.

THANK YOU, YOU ARE VERY KIND, RAY

I HAPPEN TO AGREE WITH YOU & BELIEVE "FALSE MODESTY IS A SIN" I ALSO FEEL BLESSED & KEEP MY PRIDE TEMPERED WITH

HUMILITY.

Social source share

Ray, one of your best recordings was "Lifetime Guarantee of Love".

Do you remember the version by Charles Drain on RCA ?

Who cut it first ? YES I DO & DON'T KNOW WHO CUT IT FIRST. ALSO, IT WAS ON AN ALBUM BY THE "VOLTAGE BROTHERS"

ON BLENDINGWELL / EPIC REC. IT WAS ALSO CUT BY CAROL DOUGLAS ON RCA IN ENG. OR FRANCE. MY VERSION WAS PROD. BY

DAVID SPINOZZA (GREAT GUITAR PLAYER) WHO WORKED / B.B. KING, JOHN LENNON & MANY OTHERS.

HARD TO RECALL THE ORDER THEY WERE CUT. MINE & CAROL DOUGLAS VERSIONS WERE RELEASED AS SINGLES.

THANK YOU, PEACE,

RAY

Social source share

Actually, "I Can See (Her) Loving You" by Trieste (IX CHAINS 7021) is quite a nice version.

This was among several cover versions of "Northern Soul in-demanders" released on IX CHAINS C.1976 (among them, Raymond Smith - "Seven Day Lover" and Bobby Earl Williams - "That's The Way He Is")

Great to see you here RayD!. I'm looking forward to inside info on your involvement with the Grapevine/GRP record label? I'm also a big fan of the Mayberry Movement "I Think I'm In Love" on EVENT, and would love to hear more about the group.

Regards, 'Mel' I AGREE ABOUT TRIESTE VERSION. I KNEW THE N J GROUP. NEVER MET MAYBERRY MOVEMENT. DID MEET OR SPOKE / PATRICK ADAMS WHO PROD. & ARR. I CAN SEE HIM, ONE OF MY FAVORITE VERSIONS. IF YOU CAN MP3 ME ANY CUTS I MAY NOT KNOW ABOUT, IT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED, SINCERELY, RAY

P. S. THE GRAPEVINE/GWP STUFF WAS WRITTEN & OR PROD. BY BILLY TERRELL & MYSELF. GEORGE KERR PROD WHAT WE DIDN'T, RAY
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Possibly my favorite LP, definatley my favorite LP cover.

Social source share

Possibly my favorite LP, definatley my favorite LP cover.

As you say a great LP all round - as regards the cover & name it all adds up to being a heavy funk group - of course when you listen to it their soulful harmonies take you to another level - if you only ever own one 70s album this the one you should have - it's blinding !! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!